Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm all for overtime. I work in retail sales, and the salaried positions in sales are just not a good idea. I just got promoted to a management position which is still hourly, and I'm really unsure if I'm willing to move up to the next step in a year (salaried). Personally, OT is insurance that you get compensated fairly. If I work extra hours, I get paid extra. And because I get paid extra, the company has only so much incentive to push me to work extra. So I do OT when I want to, and have a life when I want to. That goes out the window with salary, everyone I see has a constant battle with just trying to not be forced to work extra.

I also was a union employee and overall I think the hugely reduced role of unions is a disappointment. They have some downsides, but the upsides for the employees and for society I felt were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They are in their annual cost cutting mode where I work, and the big thing they came out with is "no overtime." Not literally absolute 0, but you better have a good reason.

I'm enjoying having an extra 5-15 hours a week at home right now and waiting for the inevitable "why are sales down" questions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Where I work, they changed us from hourly to salary with no OT with very little notice. We were told it was because we were working too much OT and they wanted to contain costs and give us time with out families. We were given a small raise to compensate for not having OT.

In one month so far I have worked enough "OT" that if I still got paid for it I would have made more than the yearly raise I got.

My next step up management wise is salaried, and I better get a pretty a pretty good offer when I move p to it (that's 1-2 years away).

Unless there is a huge income difference, I'd rather be capped OT working a Max of 40 hours a week rather than salaried and required to work a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week.

• Locked thread