Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I'm a manufacturing engineer, which means I put out fires on an assembly floor all day, then I have to work a ton of overtime to do the computer part of my job. To add to that, my chunk of the company was split up between me and one other engineer. The other guy quit in June and it's been all mine since (though to be fair, my company is TRYING to hire someone new).

So for me it's twofold - I'd love to be hourly right now because I'd be making a TON more. But at the same time, no one's forcing me to work the overtime. Everyone else just does and I would have no chance at keeping my head above water if I didn't. For instance, yesterday I walked into work and had 102 technical documents to approve. I got about 18 of them. Today I came in and had 124. So really the only time I have a CHANCE to catch up is when other people aren't there throwing more work at me.

So I don't get paid overtime, but because of this off the record overtime I'm banking, I have no moral qualms with taking off early whenever I feel like it, as long as I make sure my boss knows and I've got anything that's urgent taken care of. Also comp days are an unofficial thing, where if my boss actually needs me to come in to support for a couple of Saturdays in a row I'll get random Mondays off if I want them.

So good in some ways, but at the end of the day I only work because I get paid. Given that I'm an engineer that actually sees how much money he saves the company, and how much my company bills for my time, you can imagine I'm pretty good at spreadsheets, budgeting, etc. So basically mandatory unpaid overtime isn't driving me crazy right now... but I have no intent to work past age 45 or so exclusively BECAUSE I think it's bullshit that every job thinks you're slaves to them and if you're not making a reasonable effort to work overtime regularly, you're not a team player. Cool, I can play that game. For a few more years. Maybe if I was paid overtime or it was less informally "mandatory" I wouldn't be so annoyed with engineering in general, and you'd have a good employee for more than a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread