Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Just read this article about how overtime pay is one of the biggest factors in unemployment: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/11/overtime-pay-obama-congress-112954.html?hp=rc3_4#.VG6eL4vF-ZP

Curious what you all think about the idea of slashing OT exemptions. Is it as much of a cure-all as it's portrayed in this article?

quote:

So what’s changed since the 1960s and '70s? Overtime pay, in part. Your parents got a lot of it, and you don’t. And it turns out that fair overtime standards are to the middle class what the minimum wage is to low-income workers: not everything, but an indispensable labor protection that is absolutely essential to creating a broad and thriving middle class. In 1975, more than 65 percent of salaried American workers earned time-and-a-half pay for every hour worked over 40 hours a week. Not because capitalists back then were more generous, but because it was the law.

quote:

The Obama administration could, on its own, go even further. Many millions of Americans are currently exempt from the overtime rules—teachers, federal employees, doctors, computer professionals, etc.—and corporate leaders are lobbying hard to expand “computer professional” to mean just about anybody who uses a computer. Which is almost everybody. But were the Labor Department instead to narrow these exemptions, millions more Americans would receive the overtime pay they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Argh, that's terrible. In the article it was talking about how "computer professionals" are exempt and basically anyone working with a computer will fall under that category if the lobbyists have their way.

I just left my salaried job, and my boss isn't replacing me, he's just having the other manager pick up all the slack. I told her to negotiate for a huge raise but she won't even do that. She used to write in her hours so that he could see she was working from 9 to 7 every day Mon-Sat but she says it's too depressing. I don't know what the hell will fix this problem; if you're working on salary nowadays, you're probably being overworked.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

TwoSheds posted:

To answer the OP's question, I'm in favor of traditional overtime for everyone, but I feel like mandatory enforcement would lead to wage reduction and/or layoffs.
The article argues that layoffs would decrease drastically, because they can't just shunt the work off on another worker. Rather than paying overtime, they would have an incentive to hire more workers. I feel like that's an argument that a lot of corporations would make, but I can't see it happening in the real world. Wage reduction or bonus reduction, maybe, but when was the last time your bonus would have paid you as much as overtime?

• Locked thread