Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

moana posted:

The article argues that layoffs would decrease drastically, because they can't just shunt the work off on another worker. Rather than paying overtime, they would have an incentive to hire more workers. I feel like that's an argument that a lot of corporations would make, but I can't see it happening in the real world. Wage reduction or bonus reduction, maybe, but when was the last time your bonus would have paid you as much as overtime?
My bonus pays me more than overtime did only because when I went to salary, I leveraged an increase that would cover the OT I used to make and I still get the 9-14% bonus everyone else gets.

I liked the OT when I got it but overall I viewed it as a way to pay less and get you to rely on OT as a way to get ahead and I can tell you that my company would always, ALWAYS prefer to pay 10 workers 10hrs of OT than hire 1 more position because of the overhead on adding a position. I also liked it because if you wanted me to do X task, you had to be willing to shell out the OT. Now no one cares if I'm working 45 or 90hrs in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Saros posted:

Employee culture in the US is toxic.

I work in a company with large offices in both NY and London and the differences between the two are enormous. Here we have 35 hour weeks (7/day + whatever time we want for lunch), 25 paid vacation days (+1 per year of service capping at 30), fully flexible time, ability to 'buy' days off, unlimited sick leave, bereavement leave and a bunch of other minor stuff. Sometimes you work late but you make it up easily with the flex time and it's expected that you do that..

In the USA its all about the clockwatching, not working less than everyone else and they only get 13 paid holidays and sweet gently caress all sick leave. They will regularly clock 45-50 hours a week while not actually being more productive.

So uh sucks to be you guys I guess?

A couple years ago my company went through all the trouble of building a facility and hiring people in Germany where it's basically the leave/scheduling policy you describe. Of course the bosses sing the chorus of "more time off and working less hours would kill us!" yet it's somehow profitable enough and even a worthy of throwing more capital at for expansion 3 years running. The Germans genuinely feel bad for us.

I'm even told to do my internal pr presentations about current marketing activities/sciency things for the general edification of the associate during lunch so people can attend, unpaid. Because taking them off the production floor for 20 mins to tell them what their company is doing and how we play a role in society and the work you do is important is a hardship our numbers could not endure.

• Locked thread