Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

closeted republican posted:

However, I did notice that there were some small inconsistencies in the story. Kaos seemed to know that Ketheres was weakened long before he reached Ketheres and talked to the guy there, and it looked like Ido smashed one of Nova X's body parts on the right side of Nova in one panel after wrecking his left hand and leg, but later on, his left body parts looked untouched. Am I right or am I just overanalyzing things?

It could just be the nanites regenerating his smashed-up parts, I'd have to check back at my copy to see.

Congratulations on finishing LO! What a huge, crazy ride it has been. I never imagined that you'd write up a huge detailed summary post for every single volume, and reading them had gotten me to start rereading BAA too, which is just great. I feel that I've been vicariously re-experiencing what it was like to read the whole series afresh, through your new eyes, and your posts have reminded me of why I love this series so much. Good job, man!

Now that you're all caught up, go back to the OP and catch up with the last three chapters of CoMW, so you can agonizingly wait with all the rest of us!

Regarding chip Alita / bio Alita -- I think it's rather telling how the last pages of LO are narrated from chip Alita's point of view. She refers to bio-Alita as a separate person, an other, a "she". To me this says that the canon viewpoint character is the reincarnated chip Alita, rather than the brain Alita that was reconstructed after she was blown up in volume 9. So is Kishiro saying that chip Alita is the more "real" version, since she's had all the experiences since Last Order? This is one of the things I'd really like Kishiro to explore in a digression from CoMW at some point.

Another thing that was never quite expanded upon was brain-Alita's special brain, that Desty Nova mentioned at the beginning of LO. Didn't he say that it had some unique properties, like it was covered in some sort of hardening gel that allowed it to survive impacts and go into hibernation? I wonder what, if anything, Kishiro will make of that? Does that mean that Alita had a "nano-machine brain" from the start, even when she was born? Or was she even born at all? Unanswered questions like this are why CoMW exists, I guess!

One nice detail I liked from LOv19 was Figure's reminiscing montage of Alita in her TUNED form. Rather than reusing old art (as some manga authors are known to do), Kishiro redrew it all in his current style. I really think Alita looks a lot better now, and having an old costume to reference and compare helps a lot.

Last Order

BAA

Notice how now she actually has a solid core and some muscle definition to her limbs. Look at her hands! They have some structure to them, they're not delicate little girl hands! It kind of strained credibility to see some of Alita's moves in her and Figure's desert duel in BAA v6, because some of the things she did didn't look very strong or powerful. I think that has a lot to do with her physique (and of course, the fact that she was going easy on him due to his biological body). At any rate, what I mean to say is that Kishiro is an incredible artist, and it's fun to see how his art style has changed and matured over the years (if you're as big a Kishiro nerd as I am, you should check out Aqua Knight, as it's basically the missing link that fills in the artistic gap between BAA v9 and LOv1). I think I'll do a compilation image to show off the many different faces of Alita at some point.

EDIT: :lol: I just noticed that Figure reminisced about Alita's octo-lips. Nice.

EDIT2: Oh, and look what I found! It seems that CoMW ch1 was published with an additional one-shot by Kishiro and a writer, a short story called Grey World. An interesting and very surreal sci-fi story!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like how Alita is drawn in LO because it makes her look really tough. Her face has that "battle scarred" look that looks like she's really seen some bad poo poo. Her body is defined and muscular-looking and her hands look like they could really put the hurt on someone, which makes her look like someone that could really kick your rear end by flipping around a lot. if I see LO Alita, I can say "yeah, she could take on a giant robot centaur, a huge karate cyborg, a big skull manchild robot, and fight Caerula to a standstill". The waifu look was fine for the first volumes in BAA because she was still a kid, but it is kinda goofy in the later volumes.

quote:

EDIT: I just noticed that Figure reminisced about Alita's octo-lips. Nice.

Alita's octopus lips are fundamental to who she is. You cannot deny the lips.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Now that I'm done with LO, I can say that it is a great continuation to BAA and a great read in general.

One of the things I really liked about the series was how it greatly expanded the Alitaverse and made it feel like an actual place. In BAA, it felt that all of the locations and conflicts were just stages for Alita to kick rear end (or get her rear end kicked) instead of being part of an actual world. Now, in LO, there's an entire universe filled with all sorts of bad poo poo, political fighting, superpowers duking it out, pretend war being used as a form of population control (and being quite popular at that), brainwashed people, and overall the fatalism from the Scrapyard cranked to 11.

I said this earlier, but one of the themes of the series is that things don't appear to be what they are. Space seemed like a land of infinite opportunities, but it's even more decedent than the Scrapyard. Caerula staked her life on Arthur's dream, but it rotted over time to the state it is in LO. Ping Wu's dream of breaking the power of the galaxy's elites backfired horribly and just made things worse with and Mbadi, previously the hero everyone thought would help lead humanity to a better future, turning inot a dictator that thought he was order itself at the same time. Karate is just as decedent as the rest of the universe, despite all the big talk about spirituality and going beyond your limits. One could argue that it might've been better that humanity died off way back after the apocalypse, considering the state the Alitaverse is in.

The actual tournament doesn’t seem to be as time consuming as it looks. Maybe it's because I read them in one huge gulp, but the fights were quick to read through and fun to read. I love all the crazy fighting techniques Kushiro thinks up, like using cyborgs as living weapons and punching really hard by getting very fat and slimming down very quickly. The Alita series' fighting was always ridiculous, with things like a teenage girl flipping and jumping around like she's on some major opiates to defeat foes much larger than her, so the crazy stuff in LO fits.

I felt that BAA, especially the first few volumes, took themselves a bit too seriously, considering the story is “Asian cyborg teenage girl beats up people in Blade Runner's LA”. Alita was drawn cute, but everything else was super-serious, which got a little tiring after a while. LO's occasional lighthearded moments, like characters occasionally being drawn chibi style to emphasize silliness and Zekka constantly making fun of Sechs, helped balance the mood and make the darker moments feel more like “oh poo poo!” moments.

I enjoyed how Alita had a major arc spanning the entire series this time around. She had to deal with her doubts and insecurities head-on, learn about Yoko, and then come to terms with Yoko's actions. I consider her huge powerup with the Imaginos 2.0 body as a symbol of her not only overcoming her doubts, but also accepting Yoko as a part of herself that she can never separate. She conquered her fears and her past, and now can flourish as a person again. When you look at it that way, things like Alita hiding and refusing to fight Guntroll make a lot more sense; she was seriously fighting her doubts about whether she was right and hid herself away until she starting coming to terms with things.

LO expands a bit on Alita being quite flawed as a person. Yes, she wants to help and save people in a world where selfishness is king, but she often goes in guns-blazing (which lead to her getting destroyed by Mbadi the first time they met), is prideful, cocky, loves a good scrap, turns into a monster during battle, and can be a huge bitch to people she hates. She also has a tendency to take on every type of burden, like trying to save Lou, even though the Lou she'd save doesn’t remember Alita at all. But, at the same time, she can change her views on things she dislikes, is one of the few people in the universe that actually has a heart, and genuinely cares about those downtrodden, like children. She can inspire people to change just by being with her, like Ping Wu admitting his selfishness and trying to change it and how Sechs' personality change towards him having a heart started after he teamed up with Alita. The only thing I didn't get was mean Alita in volume 17, but that might just be because she was stressed, had her homeland riding on the conclusion of a single battle, and was battle Alita, so she lashed out at Toji.

One thing I was pleased to see was that nobody really fell in love with Alita during LO. I felt it was a bit hokey how it seemed like someone would fall in love with Alita so often in BAA. I understood why they happened, but it got a bit silly after a while when random characters would suddenly go “ALITA I WANT YOU IN MY PANTS”.

LO still has the tragedy seen in BAA, but instead transfers it throughout the universe instead of it just affecting Alita. Caerula is forced to kill her husband because of how cruel he is, but teaches Arthur than being ruthless is the only way to save humanity. Arthur dreams for humanity to have a new and hopeful future in space, but instead, it's been corrupted by space politics, pessimism, and technology meant to help humanity that's instead destroyed humanity's good traits and turn children into pests. World's Best Dad becomes a serial rapist and killer because of a prank gone wrong his son did. Even a nice dude like Toji was a selfish rear end in a top hat once.

I feel that, throughout the story, Alita is becoming something of a symbol of liberation for a decadent universe and to restore the hope that the Alitaverse has lost. After making amends with her past and her nature with a brain chip, she gains enough power to really wreck the major factions after getting the Imaginos 2.0 body, then immediately takes the reigns and hijacks the ZOTT for herself with Mbadi, previously the unstoppable overlord, becoming a gibbering wreck that's forced to comply with Alita. Alita's position as a symbol of change frightens Mbadi so much that he seals his own fate by trying to get rid of her. Instead, it played exactly into Alita's hands; Tiphares and the Scrapyard are finally reunited and, as a bonus, the Earth sphere is liberated from oppression. Thanks to Alita, Tiphares and the Scrapyard can become one society and end Tipahres' oppression of the surface, Ketheres might establish relations with the surface again, Jupiter, the greatest military power in the solar system, is completely humiliated, and Unanimous has been shut down for good. The Alitaverse is slowly getting back on track, and it's all thanks to Alita the liberator.

LO also seems to be about Alita finally taking charge instead of passively reacting to everything. The story starts off with Alita trying to revive Lou on her own initiative, and after her hevival with Imaginos 2.0 body, she starts asserting herself and letting everyone know of her will.

What I really liked was how Kushrio used the tournament to flesh out the Alitaverse via the opponents the Space Angels, and later Space Karate, fought. The Jupiter match shows that Jupiter is an incompetent evil empire with cute robodog cyborgs as citizens, while Space Karate taking on Venus shows that Venusians are dicks that have zero respect for life and see it as their mere plaything. I thought it was an interesting way to show off the Alitaverse and a bit better than something like Alita and Sechs going on a crazy space adventure and zipping around space.

I've said this earlier, but LO works really well when read in volumes instead of chapters. Things like the Venus fight work so much better when you read it all at once instead of waiting a month for a new chapter. I can see who things like that would be terrible to read while waiting for each chapter to come out, but when read all at once, they're a great read. I read LO volumes 1 through 15 via the omnibuses that Koshanda released over the last year and a half, which meant I could go through most of the fights without even having to switch books.

I did feel that the art degraded a bit as the series went on, as objects became less detailed and more angular, but I still liked it a lot. Alita looks way tougher than she did in LO, and her outfits are cool. Kushiro still has his sense of flow and readability for fight scenes as well. Some characters, like Koyomi and Kaos, actually look way better in LO than they did in BAA.

I have the interesting position of being a new fans to the Alita series instead of having read it back in the 90s and slowly waiting for each new chapter of LO to come out. Unlike other fans, I'm not blinded by nostalgia, which let me look at LO for what it is and as an actual followup to BAA instead of comparing it to the idealized BAA in my head from back in the 90s.

I also think one of the reasons why I liked LO a lot is because I got into BAA because of the characters, not the grimy and dark cyberpunk post-apoc visuals. When LO dropped the gritty visuals, it wasn't a problem for me because the characters are still just as a good as ever.

Last Order worked way better as a continuation to the series than BAA's original ending did. The brain chips barely had any impact on the universe in the original ending, despite them being made a huge deal. LO rectifies this problem by showing what would happen if you revealed to everyone in Tipahres the truth about their brains and gave Alita one as well to see how she would deal with having one. LADDER disappeared from the face of the Earth in the original ending, but in LO, it plays a huge role in the Alitaverse and actively antagonizes Alita. In LO, Melchizedek plays a significant part in the universe, is determined to unfuck the Alitaverse, and helped lead humanity to the starts in the first place, but does jack poo poo in BAA's ending and decides to blow itself up for no apparent reason. The bit about space colonization, despite being cool, is barely mentioned, but LO shows them as superpowers and huge dicks that actively gently caress with places like Mars. The AR series gets put on a bus after AR-10 gets melted in BAA's ending, while LO plays with it and shows what would happen if you let 10 killbots fend for themselves, with one of them deciding to go on a rampage and kill the others while two of them became ditzy pop stars that acted like twins and liked being sexy.

Overall, I think that LO is a great read. I felt it faltered a little bit compared to the original series, but I think it's a great follow-up to BAA and worth a read for anyone that liked or loved BAA. I know I loved it right after I finished BAA for the first time.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I forgot where I left off in LO and I forgot how long ago it was that I did that. I wonder if I should try to figure that out or just start Mars Chronicles...

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I forgot where I left off in LO and I forgot how long ago it was that I did that. I wonder if I should try to figure that out or just start Mars Chronicles...

LO is great just read it from the start.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Avulsion posted:

This. Since LO is complete, you can just skip around fights you don't like.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Avulsion posted:

Really yes, just read it all from the beginning, it won't take you very long since it's not as heavily condensed as BAA. It's crazy and a hell of a lot of fun.

... or I guess you could read closeted republican's posts for the past 3 pages or so! :shrug: But LO is really fun to read, dude, just read it!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Naw man read that poo poo instead of my thoughts/summaries and draw your own conclusions. Part of the fun is seeing what happens with your own eyes and the nice art.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So I just started reading and I laughed my rear end off when it turned out the old men were packing heat. Then I turned a page and some kid's head got blown the gently caress off. :stare:

The last time I saw a tone change like that was during the climax of Super.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 3, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So I just started reading and I was laughed my rear end off when it turned out the old men were packing heat. Then I turned a page and some kid's head got blown the gently caress off. :stare:

Ladies and gentlemen .... Battle Angel Alita. :golfclap:

That's why we all read this stuff! Haha, man, I remember when I first picked this up, back in like freshman year of high school. Battle Angel Alita was like, literally my first ever exposure to manga. And I was completely flabbergasted by the level of violence in this comic -- I'd never seen anything like it before! Literally showing 13 year old boys getting their guts strewn out, or guys getting kicked in the face so hard their half-melted brains started spewing out their ears. It was insane and hyper-violent, and I loved it, because I was a teenaged boy.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Second part of Chapter 3 has been out for some time:

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/ro06neos/file.html

Strange that sites haven't put it up yet.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So I just started reading and I was laughed my rear end off when it turned out the old men were packing heat. Then I turned a page and some kid's head got blown the gently caress off. :stare:

In the second part of chapter 3, the Ouija girl plays a game of "catch the grenade" and wins.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It wasn't until I got to the end of the first half of chapter 3 that I realized that was actually the latest arc and I needed to dig up the original series. :lol:

At least I have something to read during my lunch now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It wasn't until I got to the end of the first half of chapter 3 that I realized that was actually the latest arc and I needed to dig up the original series. :lol:

At least I have something to read during my lunch now.

Aw man, you're really in for a treat. Battle Angel Alita and Last Order are great reads.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Second part of Chapter 3 has been out for some time:

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/ro06neos/file.html

Strange that sites haven't put it up yet.

In the second part of chapter 3, the Ouija girl plays a game of "catch the grenade" and wins.

Jesus, yeah, no kidding. :stare: BAA was always brutal, but holy poo poo, Mars kinda takes it to a new level. I mean, yeah there were literal child soldiers being killed Colosseum-style in LOv3 but there's something about the black-humored and cruel irony about the way these poor orphan girls are being killed that really punches you in the gut .

v- Ahahaha. I have a feeling we'll be seeing that reaction often. -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 4, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Jesus right when I was just starting to like Hugo too.

edit: oh poo poo. :stare:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 4, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Jesus, yeah, no kidding. :stare: BAA was always brutal, but holy poo poo, Mars kinda takes it to a new level. I mean, yeah there were literal child soldiers being killed Colosseum-style in LOv3 but there's something about the black-humored and cruel irony about the way these poor orphan girls are being killed that really punches you in the gut .

I'm getting the feeling that all of the non-Yoko and Erica orphans are going to get butchered in the next few chapters. Ninon's alpha bitch shtick has her pegged for death, and the girl with the glasses is faceless enough that she'll get a brutal death like the others.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Jesus right when I was just starting to like Hugo too.

edit: oh poo poo. :stare:

Welcome...to Battle Angel Alita. :unsmigghh:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 4, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Nice, a new Alita thread. I'm really looking forward to when this new series shows how Yoko turned into a monster. And naturally, when adult Erika meets Alita. :getin:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'm getting the feeling that all of the non-Yoko and Erica orphans are going to get butchered in the next few chapters. Ninon's alpha bitch shtick has her pegged for death, and the girl with the glasses is faceless enough that she'll get a brutal death like the others.

Erica needs to be butchered as well, I doubt she got a robotic body just to be able to become a Künstler.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone else try to imagine the pages animated when they read?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I animate the fight scenes in my head, but not the regular ones.

quote:

Nice, a new Alita thread. I'm really looking forward to when this new series shows how Yoko turned into a monster. And naturally, when adult Erika meets Alita.

I want to see how Yoko got it into her head that she was unloved.

Alita meeting adult Erica will be cool so Alita can call out Erica for going from "kind BFF" to "psychopath" while Alita's gone from having crippling self-esteem issues as Yoko to being confident, nice, and willing to help others as Alita.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 5, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is another long-running manga series that needs to be an anime. It did get a two-episode OVA adaptation back in the early 90s, but -- the animation aside -- the actual story is kind of a butchery of the first two volumes of the original series. I didn't really like it, even though I did watch both episodes. :shrug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

This is another long-running manga series that needs to be an anime. It did get a two-episode OVA adaptation back in the early 90s, but -- the animation aside -- the actual story is kind of a butchery of the first two volumes of the original series. I didn't really like it, even though I did watch both episodes. :shrug:

The OVA is funny in retrospect because of how it makes changes that completely screw up what would happen in the manga like how Zapan is a very minor character in the OVA, but becomes central to the story in the manga. Vector is made into a generic bad guy and killed off at the end, but by LO, he's important enough that he's the only one preventing the Scrapyard from completely collapsing.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I always felt like if Alita got adapted again it'd be another butchery or low budget, long-runner anime with CGI and poo poo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I always felt like if Alita got adapted again it'd be another butchery or low budget, long-runner anime with CGI and poo poo.

Alita is weird because it had all of the elements to be a big franchise (cute but deadly main character, lots of action and violence, interesting world), but it never managed to get beyond being a cult classic. I still think it has the potential to be a decent-sized franchise in the West because sci-fi and darkness are still really big in the West. At this point, I think the biggest hurdles would be getting it's name out and overcoming the current prejudice against anime and manga. Hell, if it wasn't for the extreme gore in BAA and LO, you could probably market it to the Tumblr crowd because of how surprisingly progressive it is.

I still think an Alita game that plays like Metal Gear Revengeance but with Deus Ex's reactive world and openness would be very good if they got the right devs for it. Have the first half be BAA, the second half LO with the ZOTT replaced by infiltration missions and some of the ZOTT participants as bosses (like Rakan is an assassin hired by Mbadi to kill you and Tunguska attacks because Alita messed with the Jovians somehow), and make the last bits a condensed version of what'll happen in Mars Chronicle. You could add extra but optional playable characters like Fizziroy body Sechs, Figure, and Caerula to spice things up if the budget permitted. Even a gimmick co-op mode where one player plays as Elf and the other as Zwolf would be cool.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 5, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

James Cameron needs to make that BAA movie he wanted to make. You do that and it would be a household name.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ramadu posted:

James Cameron needs to make that BAA movie he wanted to make. You do that and it would be a household name.

God yes. Alita really deserves a time in the spotlight. It's a fantastic series.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

On first reading I thought Ninon was the one who tossed her the grenade :stare:

So should we expect this entire manga to be a prequel, or is this just a flashback before we jump back to brainchip Alita on Mars?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

At the end it turns out that the entire thing was just a long conversation that Erika and Alita were having over tea in a cafe somewhere on Mars.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

At the end it turns out that the entire thing was just a long conversation that Erika and Alita were having over tea in a cafe somewhere on Mars.

Alita and Erika have also made up their differences and the flashback was just them reminiscing about old times.

They then walk outside and we see Ido ripping off Super Nova's limbs with a rocket hammer, Sechs and Zazie on top of a huge pile of dead Mars Nazis, and Mars burning in the background thanks to Zekka. The rest of the series is a flashback leading to this moment.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If Zekka's going to destroy a planet, it's probably going to be Venus.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Avulsion posted:

If Zekka's going to destroy a planet, it's probably going to be Venus.

Zekka's just getting some practice before he shows those French bastards on Venus who's boss.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

To be fair, if there was ever a planet that needed destroying, it'd probably be Venus. gently caress the Venusians and their creepy sentient organs!

Time for a style comparison! Kayna, the Capoeira Nurse who became Ido's lovely assistant after he brain-wiped himself. She makes a great comeback in the Alita Quest arc that takes place after ZOTT finishes.

You can really see the difference. Even though she's still the same droopy-eyed quirky dork that we remember from the original series, Kishiro's style has changed almost completely. She looks more like a teenager or a young woman now, rather than the almost childlike appearance she had in the original series, as her eyes are smaller and she overall seems to be drawn a bit taller than she was in the original. Her most unique features are that ring at the end of her ponytail -- how does it even stay on?? -- and her :3: expression!

Kayna is a character that gets a special time to shine, and plenty of development in Last Order. It's too tragic what happens to her at the end, but, well, them's the breaks in the Alitaverse. Alas... :shrug:

EDIT:

You can also see the big difference that Screentoning vs. Digital Toning makes! Because the original series was published in the early early 90s, when computers barely existed, all the grey tones were done with physical toner. However, Kishiro, being of course at the forefront of technology, adopted digital techniques by the time Last Order rolled around. If I recall correctly, he just pencils and inks the comic physically, and then scans it and puts in finishing touches like tones and other effects digitally. That's why Last Order looks so polished and neat, even compare to other contemporary mangas.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 6, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The hand toned look is part of why early BAA looks so nostalgic and cyberpunky, though. Kishiro's style is extremely crisp and confident nowadays but his old one has a lot of charm.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The hand toned look is part of why early BAA looks so nostalgic and cyberpunky, though. Kishiro's style is extremely crisp and confident nowadays but his old one has a lot of charm.

Oh yeah, totally. The art in the old series has that rough and gritty look that's perfectly suited for the run-down settings of the post-apocalyptic Wasteland or the cyberpunk dystopia that is the Scrapyard. It reminds one of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira and various other cyberpunk mangas of that era. I'll never forget the magnificent vista of the scrapyard in Volume 2 when Alita ran to the top of a tower to contemplate her relationship with Hugo. It's dark, vivid and rough, and utterly perfect.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

That double page is heavy as gently caress and one of my own favorites too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I felt that in the later parts of BAA, some of the faces looked off. Kayna's eyes look like they were drawn in the wrong direction and Koyomi's face looked completely flat. Even though LO isn't as detailed as BAA, the faces look way better. Kayna looks like a person now instead of a doll that someone screwed up putting the eye stickers on and made the cheeks way too big.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 6, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Part one of chapter 4 is out:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gunnm-Kasei-Senki/Ch-004-001--log-003--First-Half----The-Assailants?id=220641

RIP Glasses and hello Space Nazis!

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 23, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I can't stop laughing at the space soldier riding on a butt wheel and some ankle wheels in the bottom left of that last panel in front of the tank. That's so funky.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ramadu posted:

I can't stop laughing at the space soldier riding on a butt wheel and some ankle wheels in the bottom left of that last panel in front of the tank. That's so funky.

If you're going to be a Space Nazi, you should at least ride in style and comfort. Massacring children just isn't that enjoyable if you have a leg cramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Alita is weird because it had all of the elements to be a big franchise (cute but deadly main character, lots of action and violence, interesting world), but it never managed to get beyond being a cult classic. I still think it has the potential to be a decent-sized franchise in the West because sci-fi and darkness are still really big in the West. At this point, I think the biggest hurdles would be getting it's name out and overcoming the current prejudice against anime and manga. Hell, if it wasn't for the extreme gore in BAA and LO, you could probably market it to the Tumblr crowd because of how surprisingly progressive it is.

Uh, I'm not sure there's much "current prejudice" against Japanese cartoons in and of themselves in the west anymore considering that everyone around 30 now's basically grown up watching/reading them, meanwhile every elementary/middle-schooler's been exposed to Naruto et al. since pretty much day 1. The only people who seem to be having a lot of trouble dealing are beardy nerds on the internet.