Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Heh. *hangs hat and coat on a rack*

This is my kind of thread.

:getin:Like Sherman entering Atlanta, so has Jastiger entered this thread.:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
goons discussing history

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Even in death, Sherman was killing traitors.

quote:

On 19 February, a funeral service was held at his home, followed by a military procession. General Joseph E. Johnston, the Confederate officer who had commanded the resistance to Sherman's troops in Georgia and the Carolinas, served as a pallbearer in New York City. It was a bitterly cold day and a friend of Johnston, fearing that the general might become ill, asked him to put on his hat. Johnston famously replied: "If I were in [Sherman's] place, and he were standing in mine, he would not put on his hat." Johnston did catch a serious cold and died one month later of pneumonia.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I am not a book posted:

:getin:Like Sherman entering Atlanta, so has Jastiger entered this thread.:getin:

Hey, I'm just chilling out in the thread. I am not discussing any particular regions nor am I reflecting on historical events in certain geographic locations. I am here to learn.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Looking at the shots of this guy he just looks hard as a loving coffin nail. I love that comic of him staring directly into a nuclear blast with binoculars, seems reasonable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmf3Hbnh_4

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Hey, I'm just chilling out in the thread. I am not discussing any particular regions nor am I reflecting on historical events in certain geographic locations. I am here to learn.

Hey, that's cool, whatever floats your goat. My advice is that you should check out this "John Brown" guy that everyone seems to be talking about.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Tecumseh is an awesome name

also, I live in upstate NY and see at least one confederate flag a month on a car (just kidding, it's always a truck)

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

i lust for southern white death ftw

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I once saw a show about Grant that pointed out that the bouts of drinking that earned him his reputation mainly occurred when he was assigned to posts far away from his wife.

lol Lee got owned by a pussywhipped weepy drunk.

It's more because the drinking made him take risks and boosted is confidence. Even Lincoln said he wish he knew what sort of booze Grant preferred so he could make his other generals drink it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

Death to the Confederate traitors.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

is this the thread where we pretend our families lived in the exact same geographic location as they do today 150 years ago?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

argondamn posted:

is this the thread where we pretend our families lived in the exact same geographic location as they do today 150 years ago?

if youre talking about white southerners this is probably true. or they'll live one or two states westward.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vorik posted:

i lust for southern white death ftw

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I am not a book posted:

Hey, that's cool, whatever floats your goat. My advice is that you should check out this "John Brown" guy that everyone seems to be talking about.

Ah yes Sir John of Brown. I like a lot of his work. Not all of it, but most of his popular stuff.

This is a good thead though. Should name my first son William Tecumseh

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Annihilation To Traitors!!!

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 22, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If fexas up and told the rest of you to go gently caress yourselves and declared independence what would happen.

Answers on a postcard

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I want a sherman tie as a lawn ornament. Do any still exist?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

argondamn posted:

Actually my family was pretty busy being in Kansas and supporting the abolitionists, so definitely not for me.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

If fexas up and told the rest of you to go gently caress yourselves and declared independence what would happen.

Answers on a postcard

We'd withdraw the military, let the cartels take over and become their own state, and then bomb them.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The Protagonist posted:

I want a sherman tie as a lawn ornament. Do any still exist?

Probably not any authentic ones, abut you can just go to the nearest railroad track and just rip out one of the rails. and make one yourself! If anyone asks what you're doing, just explain that you're showing your patriotic pride.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I was wrong. I wasn't a Chinese dragon, it was a GIANT THUNDERBIRD BRINGING CHAOS FROM THE NORTH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAz2qXK-K9c&t=77s

haha this is so loving awesome

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

rip archie bunker :(

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Cthulu Carl posted:

I once saw a show about Grant that pointed out that the bouts of drinking that earned him his reputation mainly occurred when he was assigned to posts far away from his wife.

lol Lee got owned by a pussywhipped weepy drunk.

those posts happened to be in the middle of loving nowhere out west where there was literally nothing to do but drink, masturbate, and maybe look at some trees and rocks.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

those posts happened to be in the middle of loving nowhere out west where there was literally nothing to do but drink, masturbate, and maybe look at some trees and rocks.

if only they'd had internet forums

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Sherman's memoirs for free at Gutenberg by the way.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4361

Worth reading.

Edit: iirc When Sherman was given the news of Lincon's assassination he deliberately had his officer core keep the news from the troops because they were in the south and he was certain they would react in an undisciplined rampage. If this is true (can't find a citation) the South owes him for his restraint. :haw:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 22, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

No one else remembered to post this?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Tecumseh is an awesome name

also, I live in upstate NY and see at least one confederate flag a month on a car (just kidding, it's always a truck)

Sherman's father gave him that name because he thought this guy was a total badass even though he was an Indian that fought against the US and wanted his son to be a total badass.

Number of badasses with the name Tecumseh: 2

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
i'd hump cump :syoon:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Sherman did nothing wrong

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Sherman's memoirs for free at Gutenberg by the way.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4361

Worth reading.

read this gbs, it has cucking

There was at the time a poor, weakly soldier of our company whose wife cooked for our mess. She was somewhat of a flirt, and rather fond of admiration. Sergeant Broderick was attracted to her, and hung around the mess-house more than the husband fancied; so he reported the matter to Lieutenant Taylor, who reproved Broderick for his behavior. A few days afterward the husband again appealed to his commanding officer (Taylor), who exclaimed: "Haven't you got a musket? Can't you defend your own family?" Very soon after a shot was heard down by the mess-house, and it transpired that the husband had actually shot Broderick, inflicting a wound which proved mortal.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Hotlanta :sherman:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
only the whiniest bitchlords complain about the civil war, when the south was off invading mexico 2 decades earlier

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Oberleutnant posted:

Answers on a postcard

it wouldnt. texas and the us are too strategically important to one another. do you know how much military and oil and oil/chemical refinement capacity lies in texas? its like saudi arabia right loving here and with more trees. a lot of that would implode without constant federal handjobs. not the trees though, obviously.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nathilus posted:

it wouldnt. texas and the us are too strategically important to one another. do you know how much military and oil and oil/chemical refinement capacity lies in texas? its like saudi arabia right loving here and with more trees. a lot of that would implode without constant federal handjobs. not the trees though, obviously.

exactly

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

war against texas would be like iraq war 3.0 with the cartels instead of ISIS, and less insurgency cause its hard to be an insurgent on a Rascal.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
sherman's gonna have relations

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

texas can secede all they want as long as they're willing to move the border fence north first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The border fence

Hahahahaha. What the gently caress is this fantasy.

• Locked thread