Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This thread has given me such a hard on to see some scumfuck Southern Dandies get massacred. Are there any good American Civil War movies?

not a movie but a fun short story i remember from high school

http://fiction.eserver.org/short/occurrence_at_owl_creek.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Thought this topic would be about Richard Sherman, not this douchebag

UPDATE: Atlanta still pissed at Sherman.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

They didn't kiss his rear end because they liked him, they kissed his rear end because they feared him and his tendency to burn all their poo poo to the ground on a whim.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sexy young infidel posted:

the wars over but nobody told the yankees and they're still going on about it :rolleyes:

Yeah they can't just stop waving the Union Flag all the loving time, everywhere

Oh. Wait. The Union flag is...right.

They won.

Suck it.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

All hail Sherman, Duke of Louisiana!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress the south and their lost cause bullshit

I'm from Texas and I say kill them all

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They should make a movie based on Harry Turtledove's "Guns of the South" only in this version the Union gets the AKs. Also the time travelers give Sherman napalm.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Mad Archivist posted:

clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle :kiddo:

Nah, the truths at the 3/5 mark.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What a racist thread.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Also the time travelers give Sherman napalm.

Yeeees this pleases me.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

etalian posted:

thank you sherman clap clap

Not even gonna mention anything about all the slaves? :negative:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Southerners are not a "race" and if they were, we might have to seriously reconsider the position that all racism is bad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

Yeeees this pleases me.

White Phosphorus would also be good because its use wasn't a war crime in the 1860s.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

What a racist thread.

now post this in a thread crowing over the nazis getting their rear end kicked

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Another book recommendation for reading on your own -- Sherman's not in it, but if you want to read the best (really well-researched) novel about the Civil War (specifically, the battle of Gettysburg), you've gotta read Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels. It was also made into a four-hour long movie called Gettysburg, which wasn't bad, but of course the book was better.

Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf posted:

[The Killer Angels is] the best and most realistic historical novel about war that I have ever read.

It's really beautifully written, too -- check out some quotes.

And if you want to read more about Grant, a really interesting book is Horace Porter's Campaigning with Grant (link to full text). Porter was one of Grant's aides-de-camp and his book lets you get close to him as a general making military decisions and lets you get a good picture of what he (and other Union generals) were like as human beings.

Basically, Grant was a really decent man who was a failure at everything else in his life except being a good soldier, a good husband, and a good father. :patriot:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 24, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ElGroucho posted:

:patriot:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FoolyCharged posted:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FoolyCharged posted:

:vince:

Effectronica posted:

now post this in a thread crowing over the nazis getting their rear end kicked
The germans got their whole drat country leveled to an extent that, if a confederate southerner had seen it their response would have been "oh lawdy those poor people I do declare", but you don't see them talking about what a bastard Patton was. Funny that.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Can we just let Texas secede? Who else thinks that would be a great reality tv show?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Klyith posted:

:vince:

The germans got their whole drat country leveled to an extent that, if a confederate southerner had seen it their response would have been "oh lawdy those poor people I do declare", but you don't see them talking about what a bastard Patton was. Funny that.

dresden would have made sherman go "okay guys this is a bit much"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

down with slavery posted:

Can we just let Texas secede? Who else thinks that would be a great reality tv show?

Nah, it'd be pretty boring because if history showed anything it's that Texas is really bad with money and would be broke within a week. Annexation was basically a bailout.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
After the 54th's failed attack on Fort Wagner the confederate troops buried the regiment's colonel, Robert Gould Shaw with his dead (black) soldiers, unlike the normal protocol of separating Union officer bodies and sending them back for burial, thinking this to be disrespectful.

Upon being notified of this, his father, Frank Shaw, stated:

"We would not have his body removed from where it lies surrounded by his brave and devoted soldiers....We can imagine no holier place than that in which he lies, among his brave and devoted followers, nor wish for him better company. – what a body-guard he has!"

loving badass.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
We should burn down Atlanta, and the entire states of Alabama and Mississippi.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
So I think we all agree that Ferguson is in The South. Can we deputize some black people to go Sherman on their asses?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FoolyCharged posted:

:golfclap:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

They didn't kiss his rear end because they liked him, they kissed his rear end because they feared him and his tendency to burn all their poo poo to the ground on a whim.
nah. they didn't associate the destruction with sherman. they just saw it as a product of the war.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

We should burn down Atlanta, and the entire states of Alabama and Mississippi.

atlanta is one of the most liberal cities in america and is majority black

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

if you have a German-Texan background you better be Unionist.

Fredericksburg Germans lynched the local Confederate Gauleiter after the war was over. And we've got a Unionist monument.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I am not a book posted:

So I think we all agree that Ferguson is in The South. Can we deputize some black people to go Sherman on their asses?

pretty sure they're about to burn ferguson down in a couple hours

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

atlanta is one of the most liberal cities in america and is majority black

the traffic is murder though

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

comes along bort posted:

pretty sure they're about to burn ferguson down in a couple hours

Inshallah

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
tecumseh is a really cool name imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Not even gonna mention anything about all the slaves? :negative:

Most of the noble lost cause narrative focuses on things like the suffering of the poor plantation owner, look at the wealth and other things they lost in the war.

Node posted:

tecumseh is a really cool name imo

tecumseh was a american indian leader who united multiple tribes in a military confederacy but ended up getting killed by the USA during the war of 1812.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

etalian posted:

Most of the noble lost cause narrative focuses on things like the suffering of the poor plantation owner, look at the wealth and other things they lost in the war.

tecumseh was a american indian leader who united multiple tribes in a military confederacy but ended up getting killed by the USA during the war of 1812.

So you're saying that Sherman was part Apache???!?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Fun fact: Nathan Bedford Forrest has more monuments to him than any other Confederate general, most of them erected between 1890 and 1930. Guess why?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
huh that's odd, you'd think the klan would hate him after he split from them for killing blacks

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

SaltLick posted:

Bierce was one of the coolest people in history. His Devil's Dictionary is epic.

quote:

ABORIGINIES, n. Persons of little worth found cumbering the soil of a newly discovered country. They soon cease to cumber; they fertilize.

quote:

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue.

quote:

COMMERCE, n. A kind of transaction in which A plunders from B the goods of C, and for compensation B picks the pocket of D of money belonging to E.

quote:

KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Oberleutnant posted:

God People need to stop saying the Confederacy was about Slavery, it wasn't even about that, it was about State rights and the U.S government was taking those rights from them when they want to end slavery.

So the war wasn't about slavery, it was about the right to own slaves?

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
we need a new civil war to end wage slavery

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

SaltLick posted:

Sort of a movie, since it was made into an episode of the original Twilight Zone.

Edit:

Ivor Biggun posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in gaming journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ivor Biggun posted:

lol why would white people ever fight FOR black people in America???

• Locked thread