Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Latest Update

---The Game---
Winner of literally some awards, The Last of Us is an acclaimed story/character-based Third-Person Shooter from Naughty Dog, fresh off the heels of their Uncharted series. We take the role of Joel, an old Texan grizzly bear, right as the apocalypse hits. People have become infected with a mind and body-warping fungus, effectively turning into rage zombies and sending the country into military lockdown chaos. After 20 years of hell, Joel is tasked with delivering a young teenager, Ellie, to a group across the country. They must face the mindless infected, the indiscriminate military, and the cutthroat outlaws that roam the landscape on their long journey towards character development.

---The LP---
This LP is headed by Travis (BigTUnit1). It's a standard playthrough - as much of the game will be shown as possible, but Travis isn't too hung up on missing things. Because the game is so dialogue intensive, there will be two versions of each video: one with all of our commentary, and one completely without (RAW).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our ill-fated first take

(Ashmonsterr, Tumblr)

(By MassRafTer)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That watch description had me in tears. What a start to this serious, dark LP.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I look forward to you making a completely irreverent mockery of this beautifully crafted game with stellar atmosphere :allears:
(I am completely serious, by the way. This is going to be loving awesome)

e: I'm a terrible person because when the game cut to the title screen, the first thing to run through my head was this

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 22, 2014

John Liver
May 4, 2009

This LP brought to you by Timex.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

It's more like "Austin -is- Travis County", plus parts of a few other municipalities that it's swallowed up". Considering the opening location (somewhere between San Marcos and Austin), it might have actually started in Kyle or Buda.

As for the tone y'all are taking, I'm with ManlyGrunting. This game was given a serious treatment by Geop, it's time for it to get a wedgie.

As an aside, you mentioned that people respect Tess. They do. But they're scared -shitless- of Joel.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 22, 2014

Seiphied
Jul 19, 2013
I love you people. Really. And don't stop laughing, cause seriously, this game needs it.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Oh, this is going to be fun to see how this LP compares to Geop's.

Also, the QZ you start at is actually in Boston. Takes a while before you reach Pennsylvania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is the actual watch, she kind of hoped he wouldn't want it and that she'd be able to keep it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm a terrible person because when the game cut to the title screen, the first thing to run through my head was this
The smash cut to the title is very reminiscent of the opening to "Children of Men" (:nws: for violence):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTgUq6hzUk

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Part 2 - Man Hands

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Finally subtitles are on so I don't have to pick between raw and commentary.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
:munch:
No matter how many times I see the prologue I get choked up. The dark moments in the game are just rock bottom.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Impossibly lovely watch may be my favourite original character that you guys have made. :allears:
I like to think that the numbers are all different languages somehow, except for nine which is just a question mark and three is the cantonese symbol for "house".

e: and the winding knob is red hot to the touch.
Christ, I'm writing watch fanfiction.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 28, 2014

szechwean
May 3, 2013
Obviously the watch has to have this voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IDaM1UXCWM

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

szechwean posted:

Obviously the watch has to have this voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IDaM1UXCWM

That sure took a turn for the :catstare: sort of like this game can from time to time. Although I will say I like the idea of having fun with this game because as serious as it is it's always good to laugh at silly things :)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, now we're saying the watch sounds like it's possessed by Satan.

This is amazing. The Watch is the true hero of this game.

Or the villain. Take your pick.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bye Bye Bye

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I know this isn't exactly a 100% run, but goddamn leaving that shiv door behind drove me nuts.

The watch should totally have a hundred things about swimming that it only says if you're in the water. They're all in Swahili.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

I know this isn't exactly a 100% run, but goddamn leaving that shiv door behind drove me nuts.

The watch should totally have a hundred things about swimming that it only says if you're in the water. They're all in Swahili.

You and me both! I'm pretty sure those clickers were placed there as a harsh lesson in that regard.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I seem to remember watching Geop's playthrough of this game and seeing him "stealth kill" clickers with a brick somehow.

This memory makes me cry every time you pass up a brick.

Then you guys bring up the watch and all is forgiven. That loving watch, man.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

I seem to remember watching Geop's playthrough of this game and seeing him "stealth kill" clickers with a brick somehow.

This memory makes me cry every time you pass up a brick.

Having no shiv to unlock the door due to insufficient brickings was pure agony.

Shei-kun posted:

Brick and Watch, friends for ever.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

The entire time the Runners were fighting in the museum I just sat there in awe of the fact that Ellie is essentially invisible to the infected. It drove me insane when I first played through because Ellie would seriously dart across a room full of Clickers and somehow not alert them, it's like Skyrim's stealth system.

I hope the watch gets its own spinoff series.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I dunno, if they stick with it I think the watch thing might get old pretty fast. It's already feeling a bit like "yeah, obligatory watch joke." I've liked the LP so far though.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Flesnolk posted:

I dunno, if they stick with it I think the watch thing might get old pretty fast. It's already feeling a bit like "yeah, obligatory watch joke." I've liked the LP so far though.

A thousand times this.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
See these prior two posts? This is something TheStrawhatNO! has a bit of a problem with. King is by far the worst example for taking up most of the latter half of the Sleeping Dogs LP's commentary (possibly an overstatement, but not by much) and getting used so often since then, but yeah. Just because the commentators still think a joke is funny doesn't mean the audience does.

Ultimately, this may not be the LP group for you if you don't like running gags. I personally tend to enjoy this group's LPs, but I would gladly go the rest of my life without hearing "By the way, Wei" again.

With that said; TheStrawhatNO!, just keep on keeping on. :)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Way I see it, running gags are okay but they can still be overused and just end up getting old. There's nothing wrong with a bit of critique like that I think. I'm not saying "you guys are shits, shut up about the watch," it's more like "the watch schtick is already starting to run a bit thin in my opinion, maybe be careful with it."

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I find it hard to judge the use of the watch joke too harshly after laughing along to the brick jokes in Geop's LP.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Running jokes are sort of this group's "thing". I remember Pi-Bot was a big running gag in the Bomberman Heroes LP, although I feel that nobody got more amusement out of that gag than the one's making it. I generally think it's kind of endearing for LPers to laugh at their own jokes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I guess it's a matter of taste, yeah, it'd just be nice if there were more to it than "haha the watch is bad." There's plenty going for the LP though, so it's not like I'm completely trashing it.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have a feeling that the watch will kind of wind down (I'm sorry) as the game progresses. I don't think it has the life that the brick did in Geop's LP

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

I personally don't find it stale at the moment, but most anything will if its waters are tested enough. Still loving the LP so far regardless, watch jokes or not. That being said, this group has a particularly high tolerance of running jokes, as previously stated.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
Personally, I came here for King jokes, and I'm staying for the watch jokes.

Mostly I'm just waiting for him to write a song based on what the watch has whispered in his ear while sleeping inside Wei's trunk and/or backseat.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Absolutely Bill's Mood

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

In a reference to the running gag comments, allow me to give you guys a peak behind the curtain.

More often than not, we record these videos in bunches, so more often than not a running gag is still fresh in our minds at that point, hence us laughing at it throughout episodes. Now as time progresses, or when we find something that distracts from it, we'll usually move on, and occasionally reference it later. Maybe not as passionately, but sometimes you just think of something else stupid to add onto it.
Also, from anyone who has made a let's play before, you know that filling in time with things to say can be difficult, especially if the videos is particularly long. I come from a radio and podcast background, so dead air is the worst thing to me, and I do what I can to fix that. Neither Yoshi or Thorn have played The Last of Us, so any reference points of subjects to talk about come from their perspective on my video or something that they notice. With us being such silly assholes, we often find the humor in a lot of things, and with an hour to fill per episode? Yeah, you might hear us laugh at a gag for a while, but we eventually move on.
I will do what I can to keep the guys on track here in the future though, but seeing as we tend to pull stuff out of our rear end as we watch (no pun intended), I can't make any promises.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder who Bill is playing chess with.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I dunno if the Pennsylvania thing was a joke or not, but for anyone confused on locations, yeah, after the timeskip you're in Boston, and Bill's town is Lincoln, Massachusetts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lincoln has changed a lot since I drove through it last week.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bill and Joel go to High School

Joel isn't the only one with a dead ex who was a BIETCH.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man this LP is going to remind how goddamn LONG this game is. Don't get me wrong, sometimes having a linear game that is about as long as any other grindy rpg is fine but sometimes you just want to sit down and blow through a game in an hour or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

And so Joel and Ted's Excellent Adventure comes to an end.

• Locked thread