Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Well, that kind of leads me back to "I won't pick a religion because none seem accurate and God, by definition, seems unknowable". I guess I don't understand how you can claim that God hides and obscures his wants (if there are any) and that it is impossible to truly know him, yet claim Christianity to be more viable than the other religions.

Unless I'm getting you confused with someone else. What is your religious designation? Just for the record.

Depends on the day of the week and a number of other factors, some of which I haven't worked out yet. Anywhere between agnostic with strong Quaker leanings (and a liking for Latin Mass although no love at all for a lot of Catholic doctrines) and Dawkins-is-a-moderate atheist. I also have a strong grounding in theology and broad religious experience across the Christian spectrum and some in a range of other traditions, which means I often step in with positions not my own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Not to necro this thread, but I was just reading this post at Slacktivist and I thought it would be useful for the OP as a window into the contrast between their understanding of Biblical interpretation and a more workable one.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No what have you done? The OP had finally given up on his poorly written rehashing of Pascal's Wager and the resulting 350 years of philosophy that he was ignoring.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

nucleicmaxid posted:

No what have you done? The OP had finally given up on his poorly written rehashing of Pascal's Wager and the resulting 350 years of philosophy that he was ignoring.

Tell me where I endorsed Pascal's Wager once

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Tell me where I endorsed Pascal's Wager once

"Black Bones posted:

Seriously dude, it's totally ok to not be Christian.
Unless doing so damns me to hell, which was my whole reason for sincerely exploring this in the first place.

e: There's also this post where you say that you'd like to be Christian because of the "benefits package":

I would really, really like to believe. The benefits package is enormous! You get to not fear death, you get to know your life has purpose, you get to know where you and everything in the universe came from, you get guidance, you get a constant divine friend to help you in times of trouble, you get a community...the list goes on and on! But there are too many barriers in my way to really take the plunge. If some of those barriers can be knocked down, though...if there is a good reason to think of Christianity as true, as well as all other faiths as false, then I want to know about it. If my "problems" are simple misunderstanding, or failure to see something a certain way, I want to know about it.

I'd love to believe in Santa Claus, too. I don't mean that to be flippant. I'd sincerely love to know for sure that despite everything, if I'm good, I'll get exactly what I want for Christmas. But I just can't...too much about the mythology seems implausible.
which is not exactly Pascal's Wager but it's pretty much the same in spirit.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 19, 2015

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Oh, come on. You know drat well that fear of hell is not the defining component of Pascal's Wager, and saying that I am trying to endorse Pascal's Wager because of it is an oversimplification at best and a flat out lie at worst.

Pascal's solution is to believe anyway, to just go ahead and choose to be faithful, evidence be damned, good reasons be damned, because it's way better to believe and be wrong than to not and be right. I would say my entire thread has been the opposite of this - give me good reasons! Give me any evidence that your faith of choice is more viable than all the others!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh my god you are the worst poster. You don't even understand theological arguments. Why won't this thread die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I refuse to give up on Russell's orbiting tea pot.

• Locked thread