Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This thread is for discussion of classic British sports cars. Post about cars you own, have owned, or just think are cool.

I've just bought a 1972 MG Midget and as I learn more about the car I'll post more information and links here.

While classic American sports cars tend to lean more toward V8 engines and coupes, you'll see a lot of 4-cylinder roadsters among the British offerings. This predilection toward convertibles puzzles me, given their famous weather :britain: An annoying man called Jeremy attempts to explain it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mm7JZgRHy8

They have a reputation for bad electrical systems thanks to Lucas Industries, who apparently made the electrical components for pretty much every British car. They'll also drip some oil, but then so did my Studebaker and so will a lot of 50 year old engines.

Here's some manufacturers, but between BMC and British Leyland most of them have been the same company at some point:

• MG
  • Triumph
  • Aston-Martin
  • TVR
  • Jaguar
  • Austin-Healey
  • Jensen
  • Lotus
  • Sunbeam

There are a lot of models once you go through all those manufacturers. I've written a bit about MG and the specific Austin-Healey I'm familiar with, and if anyone wants to write about another maker or soliloquize about the MGA I'll add it to the OP.

MG

Lots of beautiful sports cars under this marque, but there are two you're quite likely to see on any nice summer day:

The MGB

A four-cylinder monocoque roadster, sold 1962-1980. As you'll find with most cars that ran through the 70s, it started out awesome and then the engine and the looks went to poo poo in 1975. Very popular, very pretty. If you're a middle-aged librarian or college professor, check your driveway because you may have one out there.

The Midget

Actually a badge-engineered Austin-Healey Sprite. The engine started at 948cc, grew to 1098cc, and eventually hit 1275cc. Then, in 1974, emissions regulations saddled it with a lovely bumper, a lovely grille, and a lovely 1500cc smog-equipped engine from Triumph. Probably one of the cheapest old sports cars you can get. Get a good one (pre-1974).

Before 1964, these were most definitely minimalist sports cars--no external door handles, no roll-up windows. After 1964 they gained some refinements, but it's still a very basic and straight-forward little car. If you want cabin heat, you lean down and open a little flap near your feet, because handles and knobs would be extra complexity.

Austin-Healey

The Sprite

The Mk. I Sprite is one of the most iconic of them all. It was one of the first unibodies, released in 1958. The headlights were supposed to flip down when not in use, but this was post-war England and costs had to be cut, in my opinion for the better. This car has the happiest face of any car ever.

The Mk. II-IV looked more conventional and were also sold as the MG Midget.

Triumph

TR3

One of my favorites. I4 engine making 95 horsepower, top speed 105, 0-60 in 10.8 seconds (consider that the Morris Minor took over 50 seconds and it looks pretty good). If you wanted to turn off the heater, you had to open the bonnet.

Links

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/ More or less your best-bet MG resource.
http://www.mossmotors.com/ Buy parts here
http://www.victoriabritish.com/ Or buy parts here

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

(reserved just in case)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'll start out. 1971 MG Midget. I bought it a week ago for $3000, then drove it 2 hours home, so it seems to be roughly ok.:

This looks ugly but doesn't seem to have really warped the panel or anything:

The underside is just shockingly rust-free, which was a major consideration for me.

I looked at an MGB as well, but my knees hit the steering wheel. Oddly enough, I'm reasonably comfortable in the Midget.

It came with 5 big plastic storage bins full of spare parts, a spare engine, and a spare transmission. Also a big bundle of receipts and other documentation. The seller was a really nice guy who obviously loved cars and was quite upfront/helpful about everything. He also had a sweet Volvo P1800 and a 1964 Corvette (which he claims is cursed).

There's some stuff I want to do:

• The front driver's-side tire will rub on the inside of the wheel well if I hit a big bump. I've looked, and it's because the inner wheel well piece is bent down a bit. A hammer and a bit of 2x4 should sort that.
  • Windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced
  • Turn signals don't work

Things I think are cool about this car:

• Knock-on wheels (held on by the center cap, to remove you put a wrench on the cap, hit the wrench with a hammer, and off she spins)
  • Engine compartment starter button... there's a button in there that will crank the engine

It's a happy little bastard that just wants to go. It cruises along happily enough at around 65 mph and 5000 rpm.

I hope to get a video sometime soon because it's such a laugh. The best part is you won't/can't go that fast, but it's so small and low and open that it FEELS like you're really tearing rear end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother has been hamfisting his way through keeping a 1500cc mk3 Spitfire on the road, when I drove it (after I replaced all the dry rotted fuel line) I swore I'd never get one, as I'd die at 40mph upside down in a ditch.

Then I barely missed out on a gt6 (2000cc 6cyl hardtop) being almost given away and I realised how much I loved these things. I still want one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

My brother has been hamfisting his way through keeping a 1500cc mk3 Spitfire on the road, when I drove it (after I replaced all the dry rotted fuel line) I swore I'd never get one, as I'd die at 40mph upside down in a ditch.

Then I barely missed out on a gt6 (2000cc 6cyl hardtop) being almost given away and I realised how much I loved these things. I still want one.

Dying upside-down on a ditch... That reminds me I need to look at roll bar options.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So what's up with MG folks calling a convertible a roadster? My understanding was that a roadster has no top, but a convertible can be "converted" to having a top, either by a folding soft top or a removable hard top. But the MG people I know are loving adamant that their 'verts are roadsters. What gives?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Convertible just meant the roof comes off, whereas roadster implies sportiness.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

For what its worth, the Price of darkness is next Friday. :downs:

Also, who cleared it that Mercedes are now Mercs? Mercs will ALWAYS be Mercury, drat it. :patriot:

I almost bought a $1000 Spitfire at a garage sale which magically became a $700 Spitfire when I showed interest. I was smart enough to run away then. Then.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where did this come from? I didn't say Merc...

..just an unrelated rant about people misappropriating terms. These people also tend to think that a Mercedes base is a sports car. Probably think its British, too.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 21, 2014

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Hello, my name is Bibendum and I am an alchoholic love British sports cars.

You forgot Morgan; still building cars like it's the Edwardian era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4c9i250pc4

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 22, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Viggen posted:

For what its worth, the Price of darkness is next Friday. :downs:

Goddamn it

Viggen posted:

Also, who cleared it that Mercedes are now Mercs? Mercs will ALWAYS be Mercury, drat it. :patriot:

Where did this come from? I didn't say Merc...

Viggen posted:

I almost bought a $1000 Spitfire at a garage sale which magically became a $700 Spitfire when I showed interest. I was smart enough to run away then. Then.

:getin:

Edit: could it really be that much worse than a Saab?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 21, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: could it really be that much worse than a Saab?

A $3000 SAAB gives you a car about a decade old with about 100k on it that has been taken care of, so.. Yes. Yes it can.

..or around 5 of my daily driver SAABs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is Chromecrank still around? I liked his threads, he's a good example of what driving a classic British sportscar does to you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not a bad ride for 3000!

I have been searching for a little roadster for a while, but never taken active searching until recently. I have been searching for an MG Midget with a bad motor and swap in a Rover V8 :getin: If there is one thing the brits can do right on cars, is styling. Lots of timeless classic cars are Brits, IE the Jaguar XK-E, Aston Martin DB5, and I will place bets that the new F-Type will be a future classic.

Also, if I had the money, it would be a Morgan +8

If that doesn't scream proper motoring, your doing it wrong. God drat that's a classic shape that will never go out of style.

Edit: This is the only photo I have right now because my phone crashed, but this is my Grand Touring car with a SBC...

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 22, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I get a boner for old hardtop spitfires.

I've saved the harness/ecu from shitpile.

I'll build one...someday.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

I get a boner for old hardtop spitfires.

I've saved the harness/ecu from shitpile.

I'll build one...someday.

You already have all you need:

Unreliable Lucas Stock
Various Curse Worlds (International Edition)
Fire

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My dad restored a 60 MGA and I got to DD it for a couple summers long ago, Greg Marmalard style. The pull cord doors and positive ground electrics were, um, a novel idea. It originally had twin carbs that were junk but we replaced that with a Weber. It was a surprisingly reliable car, and due to its low weight handled pretty well. I really miss the feel of a light car with no power steering or brakes.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

4-wheel drive GT with a Chrysler 383 making 330 hp? Yes please.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gorson posted:

My dad restored a 60 MGA and I got to DD it for a couple summers long ago, Greg Marmalard style. The pull cord doors and positive ground electrics were, um, a novel idea. It originally had twin carbs that were junk but we replaced that with a Weber. It was a surprisingly reliable car, and due to its low weight handled pretty well. I really miss the feel of a light car with no power steering or brakes.

You'll find positive ground 6V systems in a lot of old cars.

I agree about the feel of a light, all-manual car, it's awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Courtesy of my brother:

There is concrete and slabs underneath the jackstands, before you ask. New brakes and suspension bits going on in these photos.
Dashboard he made himself (cabinetmaker by trade). He's made and sold loads on these for various makes in any wood you could want. This one is zabrano I think. He has a hard top hidden away at the back, I think he wrapped the bootlid in fake carbon vinyl for some reason.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I drove my tiny gay car today:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like it feels right at home with this weather we've been having lately.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dwarfed by a Honda Fit:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Imagine I've posted a picture of me flipping off the right rear wheel of the Midget, because I just spent an hour hammering on that fucker trying to get the center nut loose. Eventually a combination of PB Blaster and heat from my wife's hair dryer got it off.

The splines look fine, which is good, and the suspension seems ok, with similar resistance on both sides.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Midget is my favourite of the classic British sports cars - every summer I get slightly closer to talking myself into buying one. I've only driven the later Midget 1500s with the Triumph engine and the 'rubber' bumpers - they're meant to be rubbish compared to the 'proper' A-Series powered ones and they're still a riot to drive.

Close behind the Midget in my book is the Triumph TR6:

Utterly different approach to the Midget. That's all about lower power, low weight, absolutely direct and mechanical controls, high grip levels and not much else. The TR6 is a square-cut hairy-chested 'man's sports car' with 2.5-litre straight six. In the US it only came in with twin carbs but on the home market British Leyland gave us the TR6 with Lucas Petrol Injection (yes, so Lucas equipment controls both the electrical system and the fuel system!). It was developed for racing at Le Mans and it shows - at part throttle or low speeds it fumbles, misfires and stutters but at full chat it basically just pumps vast amounts of neat fuel into the bores and the TR6 is one of the few British sports cars that is actually quick, rather than just feeling like it is. Like an Austin-Healey 3000 but for the 70s.

And it's got independent suspension on the back (proper IRS, not the half-arsed transverse spring Triumph put on the Spitfire/GT6/Vitesse). Plus they come in naff/cool 70s colours and gorgeous steel perforated wheels rather than the obligatory (and ugly) wire spokes.

All hail the TR6.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

The Midget is my favourite of the classic British sports cars - every summer I get slightly closer to talking myself into buying one. I've only driven the later Midget 1500s with the Triumph engine and the 'rubber' bumpers - they're meant to be rubbish compared to the 'proper' A-Series powered ones and they're still a riot to drive.

Close behind the Midget in my book is the Triumph TR6:

Utterly different approach to the Midget. That's all about lower power, low weight, absolutely direct and mechanical controls, high grip levels and not much else. The TR6 is a square-cut hairy-chested 'man's sports car' with 2.5-litre straight six. In the US it only came in with twin carbs but on the home market British Leyland gave us the TR6 with Lucas Petrol Injection (yes, so Lucas equipment controls both the electrical system and the fuel system!). It was developed for racing at Le Mans and it shows - at part throttle or low speeds it fumbles, misfires and stutters but at full chat it basically just pumps vast amounts of neat fuel into the bores and the TR6 is one of the few British sports cars that is actually quick, rather than just feeling like it is. Like an Austin-Healey 3000 but for the 70s.

And it's got independent suspension on the back (proper IRS, not the half-arsed transverse spring Triumph put on the Spitfire/GT6/Vitesse). Plus they come in naff/cool 70s colours and gorgeous steel perforated wheels rather than the obligatory (and ugly) wire spokes.

All hail the TR6.

I loving love the TR6.

Of course the TR6 you've got in the picture has wire wheels, which I think look pretty nice.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Awesome car, Pham. Saw you posting and posting in the Craigslist thread, glad you seem to have found a nice one.

Question: Could someone tall (6'3) fit in any of these old british roadsters cars?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Awesome car, Pham. Saw you posting and posting in the Craigslist thread, glad you seem to have found a nice one.

Question: Could someone tall (6'3) fit in any of these old british roadsters cars?

I'm 6'2 and have never been uncomfortable in the ones I've driven (Midget, MGB, TR6, TR4, Austin-Healey 3000, Stag, Morgan). Getting in and out can be less than dignified (especially the Midget/Sprite; you don't so much get into it as strap it on) but the driving position is always 'snug' but comfortable. Of course if you're doing it properly :britain: you'll never have the roof up anyway, even in the pouring rain/snow, so headroom is unlimited.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've been in my friend's MGB GT a number of times, and only had problems in the back seat. Even then it wasn't the worst.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm 6'3. The problem with my father's AH3000 for me is not legroom. With the top down, my head is in the bloody slipstream!

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

My dad has a 1967 Austin-Healey 3000 MKIII, which was I guess was the last year for Healeys. It's British Racing Green, but has been sitting in the garage, waiting for it's chance to be restored for decades. I believe he is going to sell it to his brother, who has the time and resources to restore it. I guess really nice ones can fetch $40K+.

Somewhere, I have a picture of my dad in the 1970's with an afro standing in front of this car. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a thing for midgets...

Straps... bush... shackles... retainers... mmmm... they got what I want, they got what I NEED

Jam a rusty SU carburetor damper into my urethra

They're shaped like that for a reason

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

I got a chance to take a few crappy iPad pictures of the '67 3000.

(the left fender is intact, just not on the car at the moment)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WashinMyGoat, that thing is awesome!

So to replace my turn signal stalk, I have to remove the plastic cowling around the Midget's steering column. To remove this cowling, you have to... drop the steering column? Goddamn.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Healey is amazing! Almost worth the over-used term 'barn find'. You rarely see them in racing green, too, but it really suits it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So to replace my turn signal stalk, I have to remove the plastic cowling around the Midget's steering column. To remove this cowling, you have to... drop the steering column? Goddamn.

I didn't know that, but it really doesn't surprise me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

WashinMyGoat, that thing is awesome!

Whichever the first Triumph was to have an in-car heater (TR4, maybe?) was essentially built around the heater. To repair it, you pretty much had to empty the engine bay. Gotta love British car engineering.

Working on my Dad's Healey is always a joy, though. Nice big engine bay, lots of room, what could go wro—oh, yeah, that final nut that requires you to cut one of your spanners in half and grow a third elbow. Apart from that, lovely.

Those that are interested in this kind of thing, there's a fun little documentary about British sports cars - goes from the early stuff up to the Big Healey Era™.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoolNs7sHQ

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Someone near me has a beautiful Spitfire.

In the past two months I've seen him getting loaded onto a tow truck five times. The owner always looks so sad and resigned to it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

iwentdoodie posted:

Someone near me has a beautiful Spitfire.

In the past two months I've seen him getting loaded onto a tow truck five times. The owner always looks so sad and resigned to it.

Sounds like he sucks at cars really bad?

A Spitfire is so basic it's ridiculous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Octopus Magic posted:

Sounds like he sucks at cars really bad?

A Spitfire is so basic it's ridiculous.
How far would you be willing to drive one with no toolkit or recovery policy?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A friend of mine drives his spitfire longish distances with just a HF tool kit in the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My brother is the least mechanically minded bloke ever and he's basically rebuilt everything apart from the longblock and gearbox on his.

On the other hand he's had to rebuild everything from apart from the longblock and gearbox.

• Locked thread