Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Pham Nuwen posted:

So to replace my turn signal stalk, I have to remove the plastic cowling around the Midget's steering column. To remove this cowling, you have to... drop the steering column? Goddamn.

Ont the other hand I'm pretty sure it is just two bolts to drop the column. Whereas every time I touch the column in a modern car I am left with a pile of broken plastic fasteners and tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bibendum posted:

Ont the other hand I'm pretty sure it is just two bolts to drop the column. Whereas every time I touch the column in a modern car I am left with a pile of broken plastic fasteners and tears.

3 bolts holding it up near the wheel, 3 bolts going through the firewall, and then a pinch fastener where it attaches to the steering rack. I had hoped that loosening the 3 bolts near the wheel (the easy ones) would allow it to drop down just enough that I could get the cowl off, but it seems not. The hardest part will probably be getting a socket onto the lower bolt going through the firewall, on the engine side.

I think I may try pulling the steering wheel off first, though, just to make sure that doesn't help.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Windshield!

Looks sort of funny without it:

Really happy it wasn't rusty under the rubber seal:

This steering wheel is stuck on there good, I hit it with PB Blaster and let it sit:

Shots of my dirty engine bay:

The neighbor's tree was in bloom:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

So thanks to NotJustANumber99's post in the post your ride thread I've been reminded there is a MG TC (1948?) that belonged to my Grandpa gathering dust in my Grandma's garage. The story is he brought it back with him after the war and daily drove it for a while then it turned into a car for special occasions.

It was restored at some point around 10 years ago but has mostly sat since then. I don't really have the space at the moment but the car likely isn't going anywhere. I need to have Mom mention I'm interested next time she goes over.

It's only 65+ years old, how bad could it be?

I had a MGB for a while in high school but it was the years with big ugly bumpers and I didn't keep it around for long.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
you should really put dibs on it. It would go well with your theme of cool old sports cars.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

So thanks to NotJustANumber99's post in the post your ride thread I've been reminded there is a MG TC (1948?) that belonged to my Grandpa gathering dust in my Grandma's garage. The story is he brought it back with him after the war and daily drove it for a while then it turned into a car for special occasions.

It was restored at some point around 10 years ago but has mostly sat since then. I don't really have the space at the moment but the car likely isn't going anywhere. I need to have Mom mention I'm interested next time she goes over.

It's only 65+ years old, how bad could it be?

I had a MGB for a while in high school but it was the years with big ugly bumpers and I didn't keep it around for long.

drat, gotta see pics of this!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

you should really put dibs on it. It would go well with your theme of cool old sports cars.
Considering I've taken over care of his 524TD and am one of two grandsons he had that gives a poo poo about cars it's basically mine. 524 was given to my brother who broke it then let it sit for 6 months so I've taken it. My only concern is one uncle who might grab it (he's MUCH closer) and sell it off.

Pham Nuwen posted:

drat, gotta see pics of this!
Pictures will happen either via me when I get up there or Mom/Dad going over and checking things out for me.

Looks like the TC was the 'sporty' one and it can kind of do interstate speeds. That would be one bad rear end commuter. poo poo now I really need to fit a lift in the garage somehow so I can fit everything.

Speaking of pictures, some of his old English/British cars.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 13, 2015

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Well, it's finally happened. As I said earlier in the thread, every spring I get a little bit closer to buying an Old British Sports Car, usually an MG Midget, and this year it reached the stage where I now own this:

It's a 1975 Midget 1500, restored about 10 years ago and lightly used since. As a '75 should it (obviously) has the Federal-spec 'rubber' bumpers and the raised ride height, plus a Triumph 1500 engine rather than the good ol' BMC A-Series. At least in the UK we kept the 'full fat' Triumph unit with twin SUs and 64 horsepower, so despite the added weight of the bumpers the Midget 1500 is actually the fastest of all the Midgets. But the engine isn't great - it's undersquare (so it doesn't rev anything like as freely as an A-Series) and the bottom end isn't as strong as it could be.

But even if they're not as good as a 'proper' chrome-bumper Midget, 1500s are still huge fun to drive and, more importantly, they're about half the price of a MkIII and they're the only Midget I could hope to afford in decent condition.

This one is absolutely stock apart from a smaller-diameter steering wheel, which would have been the first thing I'd have put on anyway because the huge standard one is just ridiculous in such a small car. It had a high-rev misfire when I test-drove it, which was good for haggling. It popped, banged and stuttered its way 60 miles back home. This evening I put a new condenser and rotor arm on it and now it runs beautifully. I think the failed condenser has also fried the battery because it needs to be left on a trickle charger overnight to have a hope of starting in the morning. But apart from that, and a bit of a rattle from the gearbox in 1st gear, which I think is just a worn reverse idler - virtually standard-issue on these Triumph 'boxes - it drives like a dream.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love the pegs on the choke(?).

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

I love the pegs on the choke(?).

The pegs (colour coded!) are actually on the heater control in the pic, but they're for the choke. Like most 70s British cars the choke lock has broken, so a cold morning needs a 'two peg' start, and now the weather is getting mild I can get away with one. A new choke cable (with lock) is on the to-do list!

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
I've been daily driving a B for almost 3 years now. '75 so just too late to have the chrome bumpers (for now), but what it does have is factory overdrive, and a neat little '50th anniversary of MG' placard on the dash.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Nice 'B - I always think that the rubber bumpers sort of work with very 70s colours like the light blue. Overdrive is a must-have on modern roads in any classic MG - my Midget is turning over at 4500rpm at 70mph and it could easily pull another gear or two. Of course the Triumph Spitfire 1500 came with an O/D which British Leyland insisted wouldn't fit on the Midget. And of course, it does. It was just a silly attempt to keep Triumph a rung up the corporate brand ladder from MG.

Is your 'B an actual special edition? In the UK they did a '50th Jubilee' edition of the 'B GT (green with gold stripes and gold wheels and the anniversary placard) but there were no special editions of the roadster.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
I dont think its actually a special edition, just a neat little placard:

Leyland in general made some terrible decisions with triumph, but putting their standardized OD in the 1500 was not one of them. Shame they just aren't up to the quality of TR-6's, as awesome as they look.

Batts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 12, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Over the weekend I stripped down the rear end-end of the Midget in preparation for painting. The only rust on the car is along the back lip of the cockpit, under the rubber moulding. I sanded it, then applied rust converter. The portions which are visible during regular driving will have their pits filled in with body filler and primed for painting.

As you can see, I also wire-brushed the paint off over that dent in the rear. As for the dent over the left rear wheel arch, I guess I'll putter this little bastard 2 blocks down the street to the body shop and see what they can do. Probably should have done that before removing the lights but hell, half of them weren't working properly anyway :britain:

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
Finally got the engine mounts done in my car. Thought I had chased down the shaking on the highway I assumed was coming from having engine mounts that were basically goo.

Nope. So if anybody has a B with the rostyle wheels, just remember that they are lug centric, and that some shops will dismiss everything you say and balance hub centric anyways.

3 degrees of runout is totally acceptable for an older wheel right? :rolleyes:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The marque of the beast:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Not really a sports car, but it does bear the mark of the beast.

Sadly, it's scrap yard time for my Triumph Toledo. Too rusty, and I don't have time or energy to sort it. Cut the B pillar to make removing the roll cage easier... the front cage mounts were so rusty it pulled straight out :derp:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

The marque of the beast:

For a company that spent most of its existence circling (and then going down) the drain, the choice of a logo that looks like a plughole was very appropriate.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sorry for the potato-quality pics.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good bodyshop work, looks mint. Anything else new since the last update?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good bodyshop work, looks mint. Anything else new since the last update?

Fighting the loving electronics.

Also I need to put a drat alternator in there, because I started it the other day so the gas wouldn't get all nasty in the carbs but it couldn't generate enough power just idling and eventually it died.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
Had an interesting event yesterday. Engine stalled out and failed coming off of the highway, with no forward warning of any sort. Managed to get off into a parking lot and tried to check things out. No leaks, fuel in the filter, everything looked good to my eyes. Tried starting and the fuel pump kept clicking. A while later I ended up having to give up as I didn't have tools on me and got it towed to the local MG expert. Well, his find was a new one...

:stare:

I filled up on fuel the day before, not sure what this is but it got lodged into my fuel pump, stopping it up. Theres now a filter between the tank and the pump but still, :wtc:

Still debating on whether or not to contact the gas station...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looks drat good with the top reattached

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also I need to put a drat alternator in there
You can get alternators that look like dynamos, if that concerns you, but yeah, a charging system that doesn't mean choosing what electricals you run at any given time is a worthwhile idea.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

Looks drat good with the top reattached

Holy heck it is actually got clear windows, not opaque or partly translucent

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

InitialDave posted:

Convertible just meant the roof comes off, whereas roadster implies sportiness.

Not to get to spergy on this but technically a roadster is without roll up windows. Many roadsters were able to be fitted with a cloth top and even side curtains (plastic windows that snap on) but the feature of side windows is convertible fare only. So technically yes, many British sports cars are legitimate roadsters.

/end semantics

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Headlights still don't work but that's OK because I'm in California and nobody else signals either

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Quick question for my brother and his spitfire, how the hell do you balance twin SU carbs? He's had them cleaned and new parts (needles etc) fitted, they sound the same when running but if you block the front one no effect, if you block the rear one it dies. Any tips?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Buy/borrow a carb synchronizer. It's a tool that you shove into the opening of the carb and it measures the airflow. Then just keep tweaking the adjustment screws until they're both the same.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Simple answer, thank you. I'll ask around.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I always thought it was nice of TVR to keep the tradition of the British Sports Car alive until its own demise. Unreliable, bad electrics and a desire to kill you on every turn. Of course if you can live with that you get to drive something that looks like Satan's daily drive

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

I always thought it was nice of TVR to keep the tradition of the British Sports Car alive until its own demise. Unreliable, bad electrics and a desire to kill you on every turn. Of course if you can live with that you get to drive something that looks like Satan's daily drive

My lingering memory of car videos from when I was a kid was Clarkson's standing mile drag race at Bruntingthorpe in the mid-90s featuring a half-dozen contemporary high-end fast cars (Including a first-gen Viper and the 550bhp twin-turbo Aston Vantage), and the TVR Cerbera simply monsters its way up the track. You see it hit third gear and just go "Right, gently caress the lot of you. Punch it, Chewie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGATSb54YEQ

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Midget got to Albuquerque a few days ago and it needs a loving carb adjustment. Doesn't idle for poo poo here at a mile elevation. Luckily my tools are getting dropped off tomorrow along with the rest of my household stuff (and the motorcycles).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BigPaddy posted:

And it's now a 10 year old design and still looks more current that 99% of cars.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

its actual dragon and i want

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There was the TVR club at an event I was helping at last month
Didn't manage to get many pictures sadly

A bit of a life goal is to own a TVR in order to learn more about fixing cars :D

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haven't driven the Midget much since moving except to go to the MVD for registration... Gotta fix another mystery clunk, this time it happens when I take my foot off the gas (solution: never lift). I'm hoping it's just loose suspension again instead of bad splines.

Some of the mountain roads out here... drat. And it's running great since I tuned it for altitude a month back.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When was the last time you inspected the motor mounts?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

When was the last time you inspected the motor mounts?

5-6 months ago.

I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the rear of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd suspect anything rubber first.

• Locked thread