Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother has been hamfisting his way through keeping a 1500cc mk3 Spitfire on the road, when I drove it (after I replaced all the dry rotted fuel line) I swore I'd never get one, as I'd die at 40mph upside down in a ditch.

Then I barely missed out on a gt6 (2000cc 6cyl hardtop) being almost given away and I realised how much I loved these things. I still want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is Chromecrank still around? I liked his threads, he's a good example of what driving a classic British sportscar does to you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Courtesy of my brother:

There is concrete and slabs underneath the jackstands, before you ask. New brakes and suspension bits going on in these photos.
Dashboard he made himself (cabinetmaker by trade). He's made and sold loads on these for various makes in any wood you could want. This one is zabrano I think. He has a hard top hidden away at the back, I think he wrapped the bootlid in fake carbon vinyl for some reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My brother is the least mechanically minded bloke ever and he's basically rebuilt everything apart from the longblock and gearbox on his.

On the other hand he's had to rebuild everything from apart from the longblock and gearbox.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Quick question for my brother and his spitfire, how the hell do you balance twin SU carbs? He's had them cleaned and new parts (needles etc) fitted, they sound the same when running but if you block the front one no effect, if you block the rear one it dies. Any tips?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Simple answer, thank you. I'll ask around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Could still be motor mounts shoving everything down the drivetrain. Start there work backwards through everything flexible. Even if that's not the point of cause you'll find something worth doing.

• Locked thread