Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

heh hope i got your attention with this title

but seriously, science as in physics, chemistry, biology etc. is pretty important, but if you seriously think about both your day to day life as well as society as a whole, the biggest problems we all encounter have to do with resource allocation and societal organization as well as decision making.

i'm currently finishing my phd thesis in chemistry, but over the time i've realized that the biggest problems are caused by the system, man. and the system is people.

post itt thread if you think science and stem is to full of itself and that humans and humanity are the things that have to be understood better

science still rules though

have a cute sloth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
so what you're saying is the world would be better if everyone majored in philosophy instead? because i would ahve to agree

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

hmm, philosophy is something everyone should learn. we all know how important the power of science is, but we still underestimate how important it is to recognize ourselves and our weaknesses and strenghts.

we know much more about space than we know about being human.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
post more sloths

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

proof of concept posted:

post more sloths

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
:350:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

proof of concept posted:

post more sloths

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress the system man

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

If you want to better understand humanity, get a real job which involves some labor. Your answers await you there.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
STEM is full of itself and math is awesome because it represents all the comparatively simple stuff that can be easily and empirically solved for.

There's a great clip out there about Conway's Life Game where a guy talks about how there's this notion that math is some monolithic, supremely and uniquely difficult thing which only a fraction people could possibly hope to grasp, when really math is the stuff we do understand.

Life on the other hand... it's so far beyond our ability to model in the same way we model all the phenomena we do have a solid understanding of that the mind boggles.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress the system man

use your phd in chemestry to make us all cute sloths

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

STEM is full of itself and math is awesome because it represents all the comparatively simple stuff that can be easily and empirically solved for.

There's a great clip out there about Conway's Life Game where a guy talks about how there's this notion that math is some monolithic, supremely and uniquely difficult thing which only a fraction people could possibly hope to grasp, when really math is the stuff we do understand.

Life on the other hand... it's so far beyond our ability to model in the same way we model all the phenomena we do have a solid understanding of that the mind boggles.

link?

also i think sloths have figured it out all by themselves

sloths > man

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

use your phd in chemestry to make us all cute sloths

i don't have my phd yet

also creating sloth-humans is unethical

change ethics then i will change humanity

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i totes would have included one if i could find the program in question

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

also i think sloths have figured it out all by themselves

sloths > man

this is obviously true

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i don't have my phd yet

also creating sloth-humans is unethical

change ethics then i will change humanity

Your said your the smart guy. you change it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

i totes would have included one if i could find the program in question

math still owns

science owns

humans are meh, like 8/10 in video game review scores

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

math still owns

science owns

May I ask how old you are?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Your said your the smart guy. you change it.

lol you think you have to be smart to get a phd

i'm not smart.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

humanity is lame, being a human blows

science is the only possible way I'll ever have a robot body with the strength of five gorillas

therefore science is best

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

May I ask how old you are?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

proof of concept posted:

post more sloths

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
if you're talking about those nerds who are all like STEM >> EVERYTHING ELSE, those dudes don't actually seem to make it too far in their studies in my experience?

science and scientists certainly have some work to do in terms of being relatable to everyone else, but i think i'm entirely not addressing the point you're trying to make

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

lol you think you have to be smart to get a phd

i'm not smart.

this however, is generally pretty true

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

math still owns

science owns

oh totes malotes, thats why Conway's game's goal (if not the results) are so interesting. how does complexity emerge from simple rule sets and can we formulate or deduce such rule sets?

i loving love physics and engineering in no small part precisely because of how simple it can become, compared to, say, neuroscience which i could never ever do for more reasons than being a pussy about slicing up brains. just give me the high energy radiation any day plz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMzngWchDk

oh here it is, it's Conway himself talkin bout it

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
hell tyeah gently caress science

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
science is the WORST

i dont believe in science i believe in G-D

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im gay

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say nice sloths. Keep it up

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
As someone in an MA program for history with a focus on the socioeconomics of the medieval period, I

e: just depressed myself!

ee: want beer!

eee: love the movie "Prometheus!"

eeee: drive a honda accord!

eeeee: wish I had taken a chance on art school!

eeeeee: look ten years older than I am because booze!

eeeeeee: beat a guy up once

eeeeeeee: have always wanted Wolverine size whiskers

eeeeeeeee: vote very seriously on local measures about rezoning the city of Salem limits

eeeeeeeeee: don't like that people are trying to spin "geek" into a positive word

eeeeeeeeeee: love to annoy my friends with my Don Knotts impression

eeeeeeeeeeee: am terrified of hornets

eeeeeeeeeeeee: have no knowledge or desire to learn anything about modern politics whatsoever

eeeeeeeeeeeeee: am vaguely uneasy about the idea of robots

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee: like "the environment," don't like "industrial waste"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee: once bit my pinkie nail so hard while slamming a hoagie there's a permanent black mark on it where blood is trapped under the cuticle

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 22, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

What PHD do you have?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

scorpiobean posted:

if you're talking about those nerds who are all like STEM >> EVERYTHING ELSE, those dudes don't actually seem to make it too far in their studies in my experience?

science and scientists certainly have some work to do in terms of being relatable to everyone else, but i think i'm entirely not addressing the point you're trying to make

this however, is generally pretty true

yeah i think the superiority attitude has come from a system desperately grooming people to take up the banner of what is often difficult and tedious work, and so kids put the time in and maybe instead of going out drinking a few nights they cram for some exams and hey! you're an engineer now, YOU SHAPE THE WORLD and make BIG DECISIONS and aren't faffing about like those libartards good on ya' son

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

scorpiobean posted:

yep. exactly.

and you are adressing the right thing. we need to introduce the scientific method in a far broader range. but on the other hand, how ethical are expiriments with entire economies?

also thanks for the conway video. i love conways game of life.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What PHD do you have?

CHEMISTRY hopefully in january 2015

i'm not the fastest phd student, yes.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
also i do genetics i will make the sloth-humans

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

yep. exactly.

and you are adressing the right thing. we need to introduce the scientific method in a far broader range. but on the other hand, how ethical are expiriments with entire economies?

also thanks for the conway video. i love conways game of life.

nigga not all science is done via experiments havent u ever heard ogf observational science?????? astronomy much b*tch

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hey guess what moron

the reason why we don't know what the gently caress we're doing is because people who are good at science don't do 'soft science'. the scientific method is a mechanically perfect way of refining understanding and in these important areas you mention not a single person knows how to apply it or even trusts it. that means in the places where you really loving have to know objective truth because lies hang in the balance, people have absolutely no way to find it.

if we could actually perform controlled experiments on large populations then we might actually be able to do real political science and proper social engineering, actual government architecture built on real social dynamics.

we can't because a) everyone thinks that being in an experiment is bad, thanks to mengele and b) the people in politics are so aggressively stupid that they actually believe that relying on evidence and changing your opinion based on that evidence is weakness

its a real chicken and the egg problem but if a single country figures how to cut the gordian knot, that they need to do real science to answer questions of policy and structure, they will have a socio-economic revolution the scale of which will rival the information age and no power will be able to compete with them, they will either have to rapidly change their system of government to whatever this country discovers or be crushed by their economic might, like a seed crystal in a solution.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ilikedirt posted:

nigga not all science is done via experiments havent u ever heard ogf observational science?????? astronomy much b*tch

well, that's a good point. now tell economists that.

chaosbreather posted:

hey guess what moron

the reason why we don't know what the gently caress we're doing is because people who are good at science don't do 'soft science'. the scientific method is a mechanically perfect way of refining understanding and in these important areas you mention not a single person knows how to apply it or even trusts it. that means in the places where you really loving have to know objective truth because lies hang in the balance, people have absolutely no way to find it.

if we could actually perform controlled experiments on large populations then we might actually be able to do real political science and proper social engineering, actual government architecture built on real social dynamics.

we can't because a) everyone thinks that being in an experiment is bad, thanks to mengele and b) the people in politics are so aggressively stupid that they actually believe that relying on evidence and changing your opinion based on that evidence is weakness

its a real chicken and the egg problem but if a single country figures how to cut the gordian knot, that they need to do real science to answer questions of policy and structure, they will have a socio-economic revolution the scale of which will rival the information age and no power will be able to compete with them, they will either have to rapidly change their system of government to whatever this country discovers or be crushed by their economic might, like a seed crystal in a solution.

this.

lol at least Steam is proving something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

we really need more experiments and research. and it really doesn't have to be on the scale of soviet russia.

• Locked thread