Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

notZaar posted:

You don't interview for vector they just sit you in a big rear end presentation with dozens of other suckers.

Vector had me sitting in a room with a bunch of suckers, then a loving double interview where I was in some kind of competition for the MLM job? Anyway I walked, but my friend did work there for a while, and he actually managed to sell those loving knives and made quite a bit of money. I want to say he worked there a year and made a living wage off his commissions.

That's not the norm though. Don't ever go loving interview or work for Vector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Top City Homo posted:

i sold about 1800 dollars worth of those stupid expensive knives

how many pennies did you cut

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

hemophilia posted:

Vector had me sitting in a room with a bunch of suckers, then a loving double interview where I was in some kind of competition for the MLM job? Anyway I walked, but my friend did work there for a while, and he actually managed to sell those loving knives and made quite a bit of money. I want to say he worked there a year and made a living wage off his commissions.

That's not the norm though. Don't ever go loving interview or work for Vector.

In the meantime he left a swath of ruined friendships and family that doesn't invite him to Thanksgiving any more :smith:

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I can't imagine the kind of person that takes that BMW video as anything but a joke, including the company that paid for it. Don't you need more savvy to operate even a functional MLM?

Greed is the root of so much evil.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wow, looking at your resume, I'd like to put you into a management position immediately. Not like these other rubes out there, your special! You'd have direct control over the sale of your product. I can see from your resume that you're a go-getter and team player. I have a good feeling about you, I know I'll be seeing you at the winter retreat during your first year here, that's how well I think you'll do! And I don't say these things to everyone, just the ones I feel are going to be real winners.

Now, we have a special way of creating sales. Instead of those other deadbeat companies that just give their product to their salesmen to sell, like chumps, we're going to have you buy the product yourself. Of course, we give you a crazy discount, and...... well, I'm gonna have to run this by old ironsides back there, my boss, but I think I can give you an even bigger discount, because that's how much faith I've got in you. So this product retails normally for $3000, but we're going to let you buy them for only $2700, each. I know, amazing deal right! This type of sales structure motivates our sellers, and lets you set the retail price you'd like to sell these at. This is how sales are done in the real world, everyone else is just a bunch of lazy bums compared to our sellers.

Now the first thing I'd recommend is to sell to your friends and family. After all, this is an amazing product, and you'd want your loved ones to have the full benefit of this product, wouldn't you? Of course you would. And I'm gonna give you a little insider tip here. Don't let anyone know I told you either, the TOP SELLERS here wouldn't like it if you new the secrets they use for big sales. What you do is, if you can then get your friends and family to start selling our product too, well heck, then you don't even need to do anything. They do all the hard work, and you reap the benefits. I mean, does this sound like a dream job or what?!?

Now how many can I sign you up for? Typically BIG SELLERS like yourself will start with 20 units. I know that can sound like a lot, but we have special financing plans we can sign you up for. Now what do you say!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
where do I sign

naem
May 29, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

In the meantime he left a swath of ruined friendships and family that doesn't invite him to Thanksgiving any more :smith:

NO no no no, BUSINESS PARTNERS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I've told this story before, but some Indian dude approached me at the mall once and tried to get me into some vague poo poo. I was still in high school so I was jacked and was chilling with a pompadour so I probably looked like the perfect douche idiot for his scheme.
He gave me a card and told me to call, then asked for my number.
He called me first. He gave me some url to their website and it was some vague poo poo about selling products and market strategies there was literally nothing explanatory about it beyond catch phrases and ethereal statements about profits.
I repeatedly asked him what it is they do and he would never give me a direct answer. It was so horribly confusing. Then he gave me an address and told me to show up in a suit.

After he hung up I started to look at the website. These gatherings, whatever the gently caress they were for, had NOTHING but Indians, every single person.

I then realized what it was. I was like Hank Hill when he got into the country club with nothing but Asians. I was to be the token white boy.

I never went and kinda regret not going, at least to try and see more of what they were trying to sucker me into.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I had a friend who's brother did the Cutco thing, but he just sold the knives on eBay and never recruited anyone. Apparently, that really fucks with the structure of the scheme because the m parent organization cut him off after they figured out he was doing it. I don't know why, though. He was buying overpriced poo poo and flipping it to idiots, which is the foundation of their business.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused by the fact that Amway and some other companies are actually making a lot of money - which means they have a corporate headquarters and actual employees. I just cant figure out how they get competent employees for hq jobs. If I ever got a call from Amway I'd probably hang up immediately. They must just start with "I'm calling from Amway-- wait, this is a real job IN AN OFFICE wait wa--"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Last Buffalo posted:

I had a friend who's brother did the Cutco thing, but he just sold the knives on eBay and never recruited anyone. Apparently, that really fucks with the structure of the scheme because the m parent organization cut him off after they figured out he was doing it. I don't know why, though. He was buying overpriced poo poo and flipping it to idiots, which is the foundation of their business.

He was probably buying with the full 50% seller "discount" and bypassing the entire pyramid.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

I've told this story before, but some Indian dude approached me at the mall once and tried to get me into some vague poo poo. I was still in high school so I was jacked and was chilling with a pompadour so I probably looked like the perfect douche idiot for his scheme.
He gave me a card and told me to call, then asked for my number.
He called me first. He gave me some url to their website and it was some vague poo poo about selling products and market strategies there was literally nothing explanatory about it beyond catch phrases and ethereal statements about profits.
I repeatedly asked him what it is they do and he would never give me a direct answer. It was so horribly confusing. Then he gave me an address and told me to show up in a suit.

After he hung up I started to look at the website. These gatherings, whatever the gently caress they were for, had NOTHING but Indians, every single person.

I then realized what it was. I was like Hank Hill when he got into the country club with nothing but Asians. I was to be the token white boy.

I never went and kinda regret not going, at least to try and see more of what they were trying to sucker me into.

I had a similar thing! Except the guy was Philipino.

I went for a legitimate interview for an engineering position and some random dude from the office follows me to the parking lot and stops me before I get in my car. He talks to me for a minute, "you know a lot about computers? I have an Internet Company."

He gave me his card, I check out the website, it is horribly vague and makes NO SENSE.

Then a few months later I'm driving down the freeway and get a flat tire. I pull over and start jacking up my car to put on a spare and someone pulls over to help me... it's the same guy. He doesn't recognize me but notices my laptop in my back seat and starts the same spiel, "you know a lot about computers?"

He gave me another card. The "business" had the same name and his first name was the same but he had inexplicably changed his last name to another Philipino last name. loving weird, man.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Madcosby posted:

I'm confused by the fact that Amway and some other companies are actually making a lot of money - which means they have a corporate headquarters and actual employees. I just cant figure out how they get competent employees for hq jobs. If I ever got a call from Amway I'd probably hang up immediately. They must just start with "I'm calling from Amway-- wait, this is a real job IN AN OFFICE wait wa--"

Amway definitely seems to draw in the gullible, brainwashable types more than other companies.

Some family moved in to my neighborhood when I was young, and the entire family was brainwashed into thinking Amway was their god. Anytime over there, the mom and dad would never shut up about how great Amway products are, and how I should get my parents to buy some. They had inspirational sales phrases written on paper and hung up EVERYWHERE in their home. Even their kids would tought the superiority of Amway. If you ever said anything even remotely critical of Amway, they would get openly hostile.

The last time I ever went over their was when I said that some Amway tupperware knockoff wasn't sealing properly, and the dad started screaming at me about THE SUPERIORITY OF AMWAY, YOU LITTLE poo poo!!! Apparently this happened to a few other kids in the neighborhood as well, and eventually the parents in the neighborhood got together and made the family known that it would be better if they moved sooner rather than later.

No violence or aything, I don't think they killed him or anything and we're going to end up with with an Amway version of Freddy Krueger.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002
some of these are very popular in schools. i teach and we have one staff member who does avon and one who does scentsy. don't think i've ever seen them recruit other folks, but a lot of people buy from them.

i bought some of the scentsy things as an alternative to candles, they work ok and smell nice.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
A scentsy lady came into my work today trying to sell stuff. My coworker engaged her half-heartedly in conversation and I ducked out

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Reject posted:

some of these are very popular in schools. i teach and we have one staff member who does avon and one who does scentsy. don't think i've ever seen them recruit other folks, but a lot of people buy from them.

i bought some of the scentsy things as an alternative to candles, they work ok and smell nice.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002

i like my home to smell good, friend.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Howard Beale posted:

how many pennies did you cut

enough for a felony at least so like a dollar's worth

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Reject posted:

i like my home to smell good, friend.

get out of here with that poo poo

Tussin Grimace
Oct 23, 2007

cahsin mahney busta
Only one of my friends dumb enough to fall for that poo poo cut his hand nearly in half doing a vector knife demonstration in someone's kitchen. This really loving happened.

He did end up going to best college out of any of us though (that even went to college).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Last Buffalo posted:

I'm certain it's because his upstream(s) were doing the same thing and weren't interested in competition.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002
My only other interaction with someone in a mlm was my wife's old roommate. Was really depressing. She preceded the sales pitch with a plea to not say anything negative because what she was doing was so important to her. She went to conferences and everything. Product piled up and she got more reclusive as time went on.

My wife moved out and we never talked to her again. I think the company was quixtar

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
bentleys and escalades.. why do people who want to be cool buy such bitch cars

hurr i need to be comfortable and have big shiny wheels like a preposterous idiot

luxury cars are poo poo. nice things are for fuckers

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tussin Grimace posted:

Only one of my friends dumb enough to fall for that poo poo cut his hand nearly in half doing a vector knife demonstration in someone's kitchen. This really loving happened.

He did end up going to best college out of any of us though (that even went to college).

my demonstration included threatening the family with stabbings unless they bought the knives i would stab them with off me

protip free for you

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This one is awesome:

Part 7 of How ''ACN'' can change your lifestyle testimonial clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_EvSrzQ8A

Skip to 6:04 where a bunch of Mormons rich off of "residual income" have a hearty toast at a suburban strip-mall Chilis... note not a single one of them has any alcohol, so they're mostly toasting with ice water.

It's actually kinda sad on multiple levels.

a) First, if you're genuinely hurting for money and hating being a second class citizen in a capitalist society, seeing some guy drone on about how magical his lifestyle is with ACN must really hurt. I'm doing pretty okay in life, but even I feel a twinge of jealousy until I realize b).

b) Their version of "the good life" is incredibly lame. Their house is this tacky ostentatious noveau-riche McMansion with whomping loads of wood around, and they're in some lovely designer tract home development outside of Salt Lake City. And the high points include driving around in an, albeit slightly expensive, pretty standard sedan, sitting next to their tiny and dingy pool, golfing on a pretty scraggly course in some bumfuck corner of Utah, and taking a limo together to Chili's to toast their success with ice-water and caffeine-free cola.

The idea that someone's watching this video all bugeyed at how baller this lifestyle is, it's just tragic. No dancing until dawn at a club in Ibiza, no yachting off of Cape Cod, no funding your own film festival, no buying a famous work of art. It's just a tawdry little suburban dream that centers around living in one of the shittiest states in America and hanging out in some cement-filled suburban hellscape with a "hot" wife with a bad dyejob.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

b) Their version of "the good life" is incredibly lame.

Isn't that what most people realistically want though? Enough money so they don't have to worry and a hot wife to bang. Anything else is just silly.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
A guy I grew up with in grade school that then moved away added me on facebook a while back. One day I saw that he had some fancy businessman title and was working for a company that sold protein shakes and other supplements. I googled it and found out it was mlm. He continued to talk about how great it was in nearly everything he posted, and eventually I couldn't help myself and called him out on it. Then his dad got on facebook and started talking about how he should have never friended me.

I severed.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

how did he know he was 5 minutes away?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Prob because it's their SOP to impress all the heavy hitters with free IHOP.
What I want to know is who the gently caress doesn't shower and change after the gym in general, and especially when you're leaving to deliver important tools.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Madcosby posted:

Amway sellers will almost never actually mention Amway, they will call it The Business or any other name that isn't Amway. Some guy who got caught up in the whole scheme and was a pretty big seller in his own right wrote a whole book about the scam, the name of it escapes me now. It's a huge right wing cult that is totally immune from prosecution because they donate more to Republican candidates than any other organization, lmao.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

This one is awesome:

Part 7 of How ''ACN'' can change your lifestyle testimonial clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_EvSrzQ8A

Skip to 6:04 where a bunch of Mormons rich off of "residual income" have a hearty toast at a suburban strip-mall Chilis... note not a single one of them has any alcohol, so they're mostly toasting with ice water.

It's actually kinda sad on multiple levels.

a) First, if you're genuinely hurting for money and hating being a second class citizen in a capitalist society, seeing some guy drone on about how magical his lifestyle is with ACN must really hurt. I'm doing pretty okay in life, but even I feel a twinge of jealousy until I realize b).

b) Their version of "the good life" is incredibly lame. Their house is this tacky ostentatious noveau-riche McMansion with whomping loads of wood around, and they're in some lovely designer tract home development outside of Salt Lake City. And the high points include driving around in an, albeit slightly expensive, pretty standard sedan, sitting next to their tiny and dingy pool, golfing on a pretty scraggly course in some bumfuck corner of Utah, and taking a limo together to Chili's to toast their success with ice-water and caffeine-free cola.

The idea that someone's watching this video all bugeyed at how baller this lifestyle is, it's just tragic. No dancing until dawn at a club in Ibiza, no yachting off of Cape Cod, no funding your own film festival, no buying a famous work of art. It's just a tawdry little suburban dream that centers around living in one of the shittiest states in America and hanging out in some cement-filled suburban hellscape with a "hot" wife with a bad dyejob.

yeah, if you live in Utah you've already lost

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

exquisite tea posted:

Amway sellers will almost never actually mention Amway, they will call it The Business or any other name that isn't Amway. Some guy who got caught up in the whole scheme and was a pretty big seller in his own right wrote a whole book about the scam, the name of it escapes me now. It's a huge right wing cult that is totally immune from prosecution because they donate more to Republican candidates than any other organization, lmao.

I think a part of this is because many MLMs make you sign a waiver stating you don't actually work for the company, you're technically self-employed while they compensate you for your services. This way if you're caught doing something shady, or if you decide that you're being subjected to terrible business practices, the company doesn't have to do anything.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
lol at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSuHJKLiUHI

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Did they ever say what ACN stands for? Or is it just some nonsense acronym?

lol I bet it stands for ACroNym

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

gnarlyhotep posted:

Acrobatic Cock Network

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

gnarlyhotep posted:

Apparently it stands for american communications network, but you can mad lib in anything generic.

My favourite is their cheesy videos with donald trump, because bro its Donald Trump, if it was a scam you think hed attach his name to it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3XGFLyxKs

donald trump the pinnacle of hard work and ethical business practices lmao

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mulatto Butts posted:

Apparently it stands for american communications network, but you can mad lib in anything generic.

My favourite is their cheesy videos with donald trump, because bro its Donald Trump, if it was a scam you think hed attach his name to it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3XGFLyxKs

donald trump the pinnacle of hard work and ethical business practices lmao

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/24/trump-university-fraud-ny/2696367/

Seems legit

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Flesh Forge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_AIQd9KnM behold

notice that one of the bentleys they show off doesn't have plates i guess because they're so loving rich off of selling christmas cards that they're exempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_AIQd9KnM&t=213s

It's def Utah, I don't think it counts as internet detectiving to find an IHOP

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...sp=1&sz=18&z=17

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I love how they claim their rather ordinary looking house is like a 5 star resort. The house annoys me as I hate timber floors. I also loved how empty the house was with that "not lived in look", so it's as fake as the lovely luxury car video.

The restaurant scene looks like they said it was someone's birthday to milk some free drinks while everyone had to pay for their meal. Which explains the "excited" response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

MLM's: work your rear end off 8+ hours a day 7 days a week and YOU TOO* can be middle class!

• Locked thread