Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So if Conor beats Siver, and they do a Conor/Aldo fight, Frankie will have to wait a long time won't he? Would they match Frankie up with anyone else in the meantime, like Mendes or Lamas?

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Frankie was never promised a title shot with a win over Cub. My guess is that he'll fight Lamas for a shot.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

MrSmokes posted:

So if Conor beats Siver, and they do a Conor/Aldo fight, Frankie will have to wait a long time wouldn't he? Would they match Frankie up with anyone else in the meantime, like Mendes or Lamas?

Yeah I'd say do Frankie/Lamas for the next title shot. Chad$ should have to wait a bit longer since he had the most recent shot and he's lost to Aldo twice.

Honestly, all three of Frankie/Chad$/Lamas are better than Conor (and even after tonight's drubbing I'm not sure he's better than Cub either), and it's a bit bullshit that he gets a shot without having to beat any of them... but on the other hand, I think he's pretty clearly the best guy who hasn't lost to Aldo already, so you may as well give it to him.

Of course that's assuming he beats Siver. If Siver pulls off some kind of upset then who knows.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lamas is more likely, Mendes is coming off a loss and should fight Bermudez. Cub should fight his own depression after being beaten down.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Lamas had literally nothing for Aldo, no way they give him another one.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Lamas had literally nothing for Aldo, no way they give another one.

Yeah, the problem with Edgar/Lamas fighting for a title shot is that Lamas already fought Aldo, and didn't do much besides avoid getting mauled too badly. If Lamas happened to beat Edgar it'd be hard to sell an Aldo fight. This is assuming Aldo's still the champ and Conor doesn't somehow pull it off. I'm interested to see how all of this plays out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UFC hasn't done a guaranteed title shot for the winner of a fight for a while. Usually it's something like tonight where Cub was groomed for a title shot and if Frankie won, they'd do something else.

I remember Fitch being hosed out of a title shot, I wanna say after the Alves rematch. And Maynard/Diaz was supposed to be a shot at BJ but the fight was so bad they gave it to Frankie after he crushed a can.

edit: obviously interim titles are the exception

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 23, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Even when they do do them, it doesn't end up happening half the time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

1st AD posted:

Yeah Wiman/Valle-Flag was a better version of that fight but whatever
So was the Benevides/Ortiz joint. Ew, that post about lowered standards is already relevant

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

So was the Benevides/Ortiz joint. Ew, that post about lowered standards is already relevant

Benavidez/Ortiz was two far better fighters but Curran/Van Zant was a back-and-forth brawl where both fighters almost won on several occasions; Ortiz landed a couple of good shots but the other 14:30 of the fight was Benavidez styling all over him so the ladies beating it for FOTN doesn't seem weird to me.

VF/Wiman was awesome, though, so there's a good argument to be made there.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I think Benavidez/Ortiz was better based on my own criteria (never boring), and VF/Wiman was rad as poo poo. The WMMA fight had a good first round and then turned into deflated a gassy grind where one competitor severely outclassed the other

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I had to miss this, worth watching even if you know how it ends?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

canada jezus posted:

just watch the last edgar / bj fight. it's shorter, but the same.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

just watch the last edgar / bj fight. it's shorter, but the same.

Auch that bad?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

canada jezus posted:

Auch that bad?

it was a virtuoso performance by one of the best fighters on the planet. it has merit because of this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it haddn't have finished it would have been like 50-42 or something.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's nowhere near as bad/sad as the BJ fight because Cub totally deserved to be in that fight based on merit despite not at all looking like he did. And he did at least put up a bit of a fight in the first round.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This fight is cooler because Frankie's chain wrestling, guard passing, and GNP was even better looking than it was against BJ.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

canada jezus posted:

edgar/cub was one of the most fun wrestle-drubbings in recent memory def. worth a watch

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How was there any debate about how good Frankie's wrestling is at 145 when he fought Aldo, who he managed to take down, a feat matched by no one else in the UFC, Oliveira, who he took down a few times but didn't want to go to the ground with, and the ghost of BJ Penn.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

How was there any debate about how good Frankie's wrestling is at 145 when he fought Aldo, who he managed to take down, a feat matched by no one else in the UFC, Oliveira, who he took down a few times but didn't want to go to the ground with, and the ghost of BJ Penn.

Was there any debate? I don't remember that tbh

Frankie owned last night, if 145 remains tied up, I would love to see him at 135 because him against Dominick, TJ, or Faber all strike me as amazing potential fights

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

quote:

‏@MMAjunkieJohn
For those curious, Edgar was up 39-36, 40-36, 39-37 heading into the fifth round.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

another thing i feel we should talk about is how matt wiman was dressed at the post-fight presser

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A Handsome Man

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

1st AD posted:

This fight is cooler because Frankie's chain wrestling, guard passing, and GNP was even better looking than it was against BJ.

To add onto this, Frankie kept trying to pass, and then right when Cub would commit to stopping him, Frankie would hit him with a punch or elbow. It was awesome and he had the cardio to do it until forever. It sounds like a typical thing, but his timing was so good with it. It was some expert-level top game and mixed his wrestling and bjj skills really well.

Eventually, maybe because he was tired or sick of Frankie doing this, Frankie got mount and just beat the poo poo out of him.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Also Cub just thought he'd be able to get double butterfly in order to get Frankie off him. It worked the first time, but then Frankie figured it out and he sliced through it for the rest of the fight

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Well, those certainly are some scores for a Mixed Martial Arts Event.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad to see the first round go to Cub on a couple cards because I felt that round was a tossup and I was vindicated. I think if the 5th had ended there would have been two 10-8 rounds. 49-44, 50-44, and 49-45 are all decent scores for that fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also Cub just thought he'd be able to get double butterfly in order to get Frankie off him. It worked the first time, but then Frankie figured it out and he sliced through it for the rest of the fight

In the corner after the first round Almeida told him how to kill the butterflies. Impressive performance all around by New Jersey.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You can always count on these gifs when the magic happens

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Tonight was the night of two fighters who absolutely were losing but still trying to make it look like they were winning by taunting, sticking their tongue out, and then getting walloped.

Bobby Green was really a sad sack of poo poo fighter. Cub Swanson kept sticking his tongue out and taunting Frankie, even though he was losing the poo poo out of the fight. What is the point of that crap?

I still think the most fun fight was the Paige Vanzant fight. Great night of fights, either way. I am loving how in the past few weeks we have got like 4 or 5 amazing non PPV events. I'll never complain about the over saturation because it isn't costing me paper view money every time they are at least putting some good shows on TV.

It seems like nothing really until the barn burner that is the December 6th show so it will be a minute for some quality MMA. Although, that card is insane unless Pettis breaks his leg on thanksgiving jumping over a curb or something.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

too bad they didn't overexplain taunting constantly on the commentary or anything

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The fights were fun.

I got mistaken for Russian and made friends with Ruslan and possibly Oleksiy.

10/10 would fight night again.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Meowbot posted:

Tonight was the night of two fighters who absolutely were losing but still trying to make it look like they were winning by taunting, sticking their tongue out, and then getting walloped.

Bobby Green was really a sad sack of poo poo fighter. Cub Swanson kept sticking his tongue out and taunting Frankie, even though he was losing the poo poo out of the fight. What is the point of that crap?

I still think the most fun fight was the Paige Vanzant fight. Great night of fights, either way. I am loving how in the past few weeks we have got like 4 or 5 amazing non PPV events. I'll never complain about the over saturation because it isn't costing me paper view money every time they are at least putting some good shows on TV.

It seems like nothing really until the barn burner that is the December 6th show so it will be a minute for some quality MMA. Although, that card is insane unless Pettis breaks his leg on thanksgiving jumping over a curb or something.

anderson won the first round of his first fight with weidman on at least one scorecard, by taunting

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

The fights were fun.

I got mistaken for Russian and made friends with Ruslan and possibly Oleksiy.

10/10 would fight night again.

That's awesome. Did you get pics with them?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

origami posted:

That's awesome. Did you get pics with them?

Yeah, and BURT WATSON! WE ROLLIN BABY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Yeah, and BURT WATSON! WE ROLLIN BABY!!!

Did you have to use flash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyMw79qz2M&t=395s

Bumpy Johnson fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 24, 2014

• Locked thread