Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

So I bought a thing.

It goes fast.

I don't know how to drive manual.

I'm trying to learn.

Weep for my transmission.

More pics and/or questions answered soon!

Edit: More pics.

fishception fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I almost bought a 280zx 2 seater but it was the rustiest car I had ever seen in one piece

instead I shall live vicariously through you

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
YES YES YES YES YES YES

I saw this in the chat thread and I was really hoping you'd make a thread about it. Subscribed for sure.

Edit: please live close to Richmond VA.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Adiabatic posted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES

I saw this in the chat thread and I was really hoping you'd make a thread about it. Subscribed for sure.

Edit: please live close to Richmond VA.

I don't, unfortunately.

I used to live out in Norfolk when I was in the Navy, but as evidenced by my beard and uncompromising lack of bearing, I'm not in the Navy now.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. This is adequate compensation for getting blueballed on the Trans Am.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I don't know how to drive manual.

I'm trying to learn.

Weep for my transmission.
Find and empty parking lot and practice feeding in the power without touching the throttle, working up the gears as you trickle forward. That'll give you a feel for where it bites and takes up drive.

Other than that, don't ride the clutch (keeping foot pressure on it when not needing to depress it) or use too much throttle with it still partially depressed, that's what burns them out faster.

Also, you can make life easier for yourself by talking yourself through it and being deliberate.

Then as you get the feel for it, you'll get smoother at balancing the transition (so there's no jerks between clutch in/out and throttle inputs), and learning how to do things like blip the throttle on downshifts to match engine and gearbox rpm and so on.

It'll come. Give it time.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. This is adequate compensation for getting blueballed on the Trans Am.

There are a FEW issues with it.

There's a small spot of rust on the underside of the car. It's a spot that is easily reachable, ground off, sanded down, no big thing.

The parking brake also doesn't work, which means in order to park it effectively I either need to have something behind the wheels to stop it from rolling away, or leave it in first gear, which to my understanding, is something that you should not do.

Also, the guy who helped me out in driving it back from Indianapolis said that it shifted a bit weird, but I halfway suspect that he wasn't shifting it entirely correctly. He was, however, likely shifting better than what I'm doing at the moment.

If there are any Chicago Goons that like driving manuals that want to drive it and/or help me learn how to drive it, I am more than willing to do Goon meetup, because I want to go fast. :<

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The parking brake also doesn't work, which means in order to park it effectively I either need to have something behind the wheels to stop it from rolling away, or leave it in first gear, which to my understanding, is something that you should not do.
It's not inherently a problem, until you forget you've done it when you get in and start it up! Always dip the clutch...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

If there are any Chicago Goons that like driving manuals that want to drive it and/or help me learn how to drive it, I am more than willing to do Goon meetup, because I want to go fast. :<

Well, I will be in Chicago middle of December with my band, and I like driving manual and going fast....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I live near Ohare. I can help you learn stick as I learned on a Nissan hardbody. I also work at a local shop with a bunch of old dudes who know a little.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

I live near Ohare. I can help you learn stick as I learned on a Nissan hardbody. I also work at a local shop with a bunch of old dudes who know a little.

Sure. Hit me up in PMs, I'm up for meeting whenever (since I have no job right now :<).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm up in Lake County by the border if you ever get this far north. Hit me up and we'll go gently caress around. I don't know poo poo about 80's Nissans, but I've got tools if you need them.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm up in Lake County by the border if you ever get this far north. Hit me up and we'll go gently caress around. I don't know poo poo about 80's Nissans, but I've got tools if you need them.

Tools would be nice, but unfortunately, about the only thing I know how to fix are Colt-Pielstick Naval Diesel Engines.

Which are three times the size of the car that I own.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well good for you I work on piece of shits all the time. And helped a dude in high school with that same car. It had no struts causing an almost lowrider ability which was fun in the class to play with but made for a lovely ride home.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

Well good for you I work on piece of shits all the time. And helped a dude in high school with that same car. It had no struts causing an almost lowrider ability which was fun in the class to play with but made for a lovely ride home.

About that....

It's got a REALLY stiff ride. You feel just about every single bump, and it bumps on you pretty hard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

It's got a REALLY stiff ride. You feel just about every single bump, and it bumps on you pretty hard.
A previous owner (quite possibly the same one who fitted those hood pins) was likely firmly bought into the false equivalence that stiff=handling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

There's a small spot of rust on the underside of the car. It's a spot that is easily reachable, ground off, sanded down, no big thing.

How is the spare tire well and rear metal around the tail lights?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
In other news, I have an idea that might be catastrophically stupid, but the worst case scenario is that it ends up looking silly and can be removed.

Because it's bright cherry red and I like silly anime references, I want to put a Gold Zeon Logo Vinyl Decal on the hood, and call it by the nickname "The Red Comet".

Because everyone knows that painting something red means it is 3x faster than the average Za... I mean, Z-car.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How is the spare tire well and rear metal around the tail lights?

Clean, surprisingly so.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
InitialDave speaks the truth. Even more so if the car was purchased in Chicago. When I come to help you learn stick I can also give it a once over for you. Im really good at dealing with lovely Chicago tuned suspensions.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

InitialDave speaks the truth. Even more so if the car was purchased in Chicago. When I come to help you learn stick I can also give it a once over for you. Im really good at dealing with lovely Chicago tuned suspensions.

I actually bought it in Indianapolis. Friend of mine drove it back 3 hours, so it is certainly mechanically reliable.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The three hour ride does confirm it is driveable. But coming from Indianapolis is worse then Chicago in my opinion.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh hell yes, I can't wait to see what shenanigans you get up to with this thing.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

The three hour ride does confirm it is driveable. But coming from Indianapolis is worse then Chicago in my opinion.

More good things about the car I failed to mention:

The Engine/Turbo/Clutch was completely built about 5k miles ago. The guy who drove it last only drove it for fun on the weekends, and sold it because he wants the second generation and not the first generation because he thinks lovely fast and the furious looks are better than the CLASSIC LINES OF THE Z31. How anyone could not like flip-up headlights is beyond me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
To be fair, I think I like the Z32 interior better.

Anyway, out of curiosity, is this going to be your daily driver?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
instead of anime, put a gold Firebird decal on the hood, to make everyone mad.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To be fair, I think I like the Z32 interior better.

Anyway, out of curiosity, is this going to be your daily driver?

Yes. Yes it is.

The interior is ripped up and ugly. But it doesn't have to have a nice interior. A car is meant to have fun driving, not be super comfy in it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

About that....

Hope you have adjustable shocks because that poo poo gets old in a DD. If you don't have them I would get them.

That being said, if you have lovely springs too shocks aren't gonna help you anyways.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Hope you have adjustable shocks because that poo poo gets old in a DD. If you don't have them I would get them.

That being said, if you have lovely springs too shocks aren't gonna help you anyways.

I honestly don't know if it's the shocks or the springs, or really what it is. It might be an easily rectifiable thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get under there and take some pics of the rear shocks/springs and front struts, look for any labeling on the springs that might tell you the manufacturer and/or spring rates.

If they are cut they're garbage.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 260 days!)

atomicthumbs posted:

instead of anime, put a gold Firebird decal on the hood, to make everyone mad.

I heartily endorse Nissan Thunderchicken.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

I heartily endorse Nissan Thunderchicken.

In order to be appropriately Engrish, it needs to be the Nissan Fight! Blazing Cock X!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

In order to be appropriately Engrish, it needs to be the Nissan Fight! Blazing Cock X!

License plate: GNRLTSO

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

License plate: GNRLTSO

That brings up a valid point: What should I have for the vanity plate? If you can have punctuation, I was thinking maybe GETOUT!.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

Welcome to the Z31 community, that's my '85 NA. I've had it for a couple years and done a few cosmetic mods as well as some more involved repairs. I think it's an awesome car that leaves a lot of room for improvement,
and I can't wait to get back into it this winter. If you're not already aware there are a few good resources online, Xenonz31 and the z31performance forums cover most common problems and modifications. It sounds like
your suspension has already been modified because the original suspension was super soft with a lot of body roll. New bushings, struts, and shocks are first thing on my list once I have the spare change. Good luck with yours,
and Im glad there's another z31 thread in AI, these cars get no love and it makes no sense.

Also I have some cutaway drawings I can post if you're interested.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

That brings up a valid point: What should I have for the vanity plate? If you can have punctuation, I was thinking maybe GETOUT!.

STHROGN

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

i don't get it

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

he wants the second generation and not the first generation because he thinks lovely fast and the furious looks are better than the CLASSIC LINES OF THE Z31. How anyone could not like flip-up headlights is beyond me.

You are correct, the Z32 is terribly bland looking and the Z31 looks much better.

Don't do anime cramp though, at least have the decency to hide your shame. :colbert:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

It probably has to do that I was watching Undeclared earlier and your pic reminded me of Seth Rogan.

I assume your first project will be to clean up that 80s vacuumess under the hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

It probably has to do that I was watching Undeclared earlier and your pic reminded me of Seth Rogan.

I assume your first project will be to clean up that 80s vacuumess under the hood?

now i get it.

TBH, I don't even know where to begin. The most mechanical experience I actually have is, as I stated, working on massive Naval vessel engines that put out a hilarious 364,000 torque, and are diesel, and you can probably fit inside one of the pistons if you wanted to, and by working on, I mean more like acting as a parts gopher and cleaning up the almost daily massive oil leaks we had, both fuel and lubricating.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on vacuum lines, and I really am not even aware of what vacuum lines are.

• Locked thread