Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There are a poo poo ton of FWD beaters between the years of 1996 and 2003 everywhere you can get for cheap as hell and get good gas mileage don't be dumb.

Comedy RWD option:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4768496858.html

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Extra posted:

There are a poo poo ton of FWD beaters between the years of 1996 and 2003 everywhere you can get for cheap as hell and get good gas mileage don't be dumb.

Comedy RWD option:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4768496858.html

That was the car I was looking at before the 300ZX. X.x

Sent about 10 e-mails to the guy, no response period.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
that's probably because it sold within an hour of the posting at that price

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Extra posted:

that's probably because it sold within an hour of the posting at that price

I sent e-mails to him within 10 minutes of posting.

.... I may have been super-zealous about getting an AE86.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4776231886.html
800$ 94 prelude, exactly what you're looking for unless you need to move things, you're just commuting right?

E: gently caress that, get this now
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4775529628.html

ACH-138 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 25, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

ACH-138 posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4776231886.html
800$ 94 prelude, exactly what you're looking for unless you need to move things, you're just commuting right?

E: gently caress that, get this now
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4775529628.html

The Passeo? What's so great about that?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Other than being dead reliable sharing a ton of parts with the tercel and parts/gas being dead cheap nothing really. It makes all of 80whp and is about 2000lbs. Also that one is even a bit too rusty for me. It has slightly larger brakes than the tercel as well. Storage room leaves something to be desired but I managed to fit four tires plus tools into it well enough. Rear suspension is a solid beam which can make for some uneasy turns at speed. It's a fun little car in the snow with a set of ok winter tires but I wouldn't unironically recommend it to anyone.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2014

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
It's manual, and I always notice a passeo when I see one. Its a cheap fwd beater the point is not to look good or be good, it's simply to work, any sporting pretension in the design is a bonus. Well that and you've eliminated the best winter beater in the impreza, I drove a 99 outback sport for a couple years and i would gladly get another one for the control it had in the snow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sperglord Firecock posted:

He's a weird Paseo fanboy in the same way that I'm a weird Subaru fanboy.

If you want to find out how fast even a modern car will melt in salt, can't do much better than a Protege.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

ACH-138 posted:

It's manual, and I always notice a passeo when I see one. Its a cheap fwd beater the point is not to look good or be good, it's simply to work, any sporting pretension in the design is a bonus. Well that and you've eliminated the best winter beater in the impreza, I drove a 99 outback sport for a couple years and i would gladly get another one for the control it had in the snow.

To be honest, the Passeo is looking fantastic.

And I really don't mind Subarus as much as some of the worst cases of people who drive them. It's just the Passeo is half the price of the lowest Subaru beater I can find.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It doesn't have to be great that's not the point. It's a loving dependable winter beater just go buy the drat thing before somebody else that's smarter than you does.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

To be honest, the Passeo is looking fantastic.

I've done some really dumb stuff with the C150 manual transmission and it hasn't given me any issues yet so that's another plus. I would imagine doing the same things on an SC2 or ZX2 transmission would shatter the differential. Being able to beat on a car mindlessly and have it still run like the day you bought it is a neat thing in a way. (Major credit to the goons that helped me with the car though, I'm sure it would have broken down at some point without their hard work)

Still that example is really really rusty.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 25, 2014

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
Yes, and paint it winter camo or something crazy because if you get more than one winter out of it it will give every dollar back that you spent on it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
...... I think my problems have solved themselves.

The little car rental shop next door to me needs a general guy to drive cars to/from lots and clean/detail the interiors of cars.

Although I won't get the chance to drive any manuals, I'll at least be going to work somewhere extremely close by, and I don't really feel cold, so I could just conceivably walk to work every day.

That means the 300ZX can sit there and not have to do anything.

Edit:

Although I will have to drive the 300ZX tomorrow to get it registered and get plates.

I wanna get vanity ones saying "RDCOMET", or "SIGZEON"

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
everyone is right about the Subaru thing. There are some around here if you look. it also helps to know that doing Subaru headgaskets is easier then a whore on molly. but good thing finding a job im still gonna stop by, probably this weekend if that's cool.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

everyone is right about the Subaru thing. There are some around here if you look. it also helps to know that doing Subaru headgaskets is easier then a whore on molly. but good thing finding a job im still gonna stop by, probably this weekend if that's cool.

S'fine, yeah.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Toyota Echo's are also dead rear end reliable and lump into that "feed it gas and change the oil" category.

Boring beaters are never a bad thing. Or you could do it my way and rely on a variety of British cars.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
True about the echos. but around Chicago all echos get stolen smashed rusted and just driven to the death. The latino community of Chicago is big into Toyotas and they keep them till there third death.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

This is just what makes AI so awesome.

"I bought a nearly 30 year old car on a whim. Its my first RWD manual."
'Ok. Here's how you drive it.'
"I'm going to drive it this winter."
'No. Get a lovely car for that sort of thing.'

Sperglord is the new Rhyno?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

This is just what makes AI so awesome.

"I bought a nearly 30 year old car on a whim. Its my first RWD manual."
'Ok. Here's how you drive it.'
"I'm going to drive it this winter."
'No. Get a lovely car for that sort of thing.'

Sperglord is the new Rhyno?

..... Who's Rhyno?

It turns out I might not NEED to drive it this winter. So there's that bonus!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Don't worry with the formalities. Hes' another AI person with Auto ADD. You'll probably buy or sell him a car soon. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There's always the practical option.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I had a 95 stick shift mustang when I was 19. I drove it in the snow and learned pretty quickly that it sucked poo poo in the snow. If you insist on driving that in the snow get a couple bags of kitty litter and a small shovel and throw it in the trunk. Or find a big heavy RWD car like a crown vic.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Once again, getting this job at a place that I can literally walk to in rain or shine is going to ensure I don't really drive it, save when I really need to, like, say, my house is on fire or something.

I dunno.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update: Took it to get registered, had mom in the car.

Terrified her a few times, but otherwise made it there in one piece.

Drives surprisingly easy in the snow as long as I'm not an idiot and stomp on the gas like a dumbshit. Tender, careful driving is demanded in snowy conditions.

So, I got the license plate, and I'm probably gonna get a quick wash to get all the salt and dirt off of it (car wash is right across the street) and then park it until I need to drive again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is there snow out in Downer's Grove? Streets are next to bone dry in the city.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Safety Dance posted:

Is there snow out in Downer's Grove? Streets are next to bone dry in the city.

There's some snow. A few icy patches.

Had a bit of fun skidding on them.

Again, I think I gave you my number, so gimme a call when you wanna roll down and goof around a bit, have a beer or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Will do. I don't have a car of my own yet (but am in negotiations with the wife to get one for us). When I do, it'll be easier for me to roll out to the burbs sometime.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Huggable Bear King posted:

I had a 95 stick shift mustang when I was 19. I drove it in the snow and learned pretty quickly that it sucked poo poo in the snow. If you insist on driving that in the snow get a couple bags of kitty litter and a small shovel and throw it in the trunk. Or find a big heavy RWD car like a crown vic.
Sorry, but it was probably less the car sucking poo poo and more you. Even with no traction control and no abs I didn't get stuck once in a buffalo winter, and its because I bought snow tires. Didn't even need anything in the trunk.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Am I the only one that sees something strange about buying an awesome car and not driving it? Do as I say, not as I do.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Am I the only one that sees something strange about buying an awesome car and not driving it? Do as I say, not as I do.

The real thing is, I don't want it to turn into a rustbucket over the winter, and I don't want to end up wrapping it around a pole.

So if I have the option of not driving it, I'll take it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

The real thing is, I don't want it to turn into a rustbucket over the winter, and I don't want to end up wrapping it around a pole.

So if I have the option of not driving it, I'll take it.

I can understand wanting to keep the car in nice shape- AI hasn't done a lot to help you get used to it, though. :q:

So, are you getting a Volvo or a Subaru as the daily driver?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

I can understand wanting to keep the car in nice shape- AI hasn't done a lot to help you get used to it, though. :q:

So, are you getting a Volvo or a Subaru as the daily driver?

Neither. Depending on the job I get, might not even need to drive to work.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Neither. Depending on the job I get, might not even need to drive to work.

Who claimed necessity was the reason to get another car? When not at work, you can tear it apart and work on that!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Who claimed necessity was the reason to get another car? When not at work, you can tear it apart and work on that!

I don't even know how to work on anything. :<

I DO need to change the battery on my car, though, preferrably to something meatier.

Because it didn't like the fact that it's cold today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're gonna park the Z over the winter, your best bet will be to take the battery inside and put it on a tender anyhow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm unsure as to why Nissan never equipped North American Z31s with Anti-Lock brakes, even though it was available at launch in Japan from 1983, and also in Europe.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm unsure as to why Nissan never equipped North American Z31s with Anti-Lock brakes, even though it was available at launch in Japan from 1983, and also in Europe.

It was always my instinct to pump the brakes whenever driving, so it's proving useful.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Cage posted:

Sorry, but it was probably less the car sucking poo poo and more you. Even with no traction control and no abs I didn't get stuck once in a buffalo winter, and its because I bought snow tires. Didn't even need anything in the trunk.

Yeah you're not wrong, I wasn't such a great driver at 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Huggable Bear King posted:

Yeah you're not wrong, I wasn't such a great driver at 19.

I think none of us were. Some question if I ever got better at driving (yes, I did).

Update, though.

My Mom, in her infinite wisdom about cars (even less than I do) suspected that when it didn't start after sitting in the cold, that THE ALTERNATOR IS DEAD AAAAAAAAA so she insisted I take it to AutoZone to get it looked at.

While there, there was a guy who knew his stuff about these kinda cars (driving a tricked out WRX), and he mentioned that the intake valve looked pretty generic, and the fuel pressure gauge is probably fuckered because there was some kinda drops of liquid inside of it.

I just bought a new battery, since it looked like a pretty old pretty lovely battery, TBH. I don't think there's a single problem with the Alternator.

• Locked thread