Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, never would have figured a dealer would still have that cable in stock. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
People who are stupid enough to race on Lower whacker are more then likely going to want to "FIght you BRA" or "RACE FU PINKURU SRIP" don't go. It will end either in police being arriving or other worse options. The stockyards by Chinatown are a much better place to street race. JUST DONT RACE THE JUNK LOOKING G BODYS. there was a guy who used to tow one there that looked like it would fall apart. But once he got up to the line and opened up that small block.....UNNNGGGGHHHH that sound was a sign it was not a POS. But you really should get a shooting stars logo for your windshield. for all the downhill mountain races we do in Chicago...plus that car is GUREATURU for HERRATIGHT DRIFTURU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo, never would have figured a dealer would still have that cable in stock. :eyepop:

Nissan is super good about having old stuff in stock. Provided you are supplied with a parts guy who can actually navigate their horrible catalogue, you can pull poo poo from other countries all the way back to the 60s depending what the part is.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I'm actually vaguely worried about going there, because apparently there are people that have modified their cars to be exceedingly silly on an AI level, and then exceedingly silly in a "i want to make my shitbox look as ugly as sin with stickers and body kits" way.

I'm also gonna need to get a hood prop at some point. Don't have one. :<

http://local.sears.com/Lisle-Hood-Prop/p-00947316000P?st=1620&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla#!/

Buy this and never need to worry about needing a hood prop again. its cheaper then what the dealer will sell you. Unless you feel like junkyarding but even then nissans don't last long in the junkyards around here.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

People who are stupid enough to race on Lower whacker are more then likely going to want to "FIght you BRA" or "RACE FU PINKURU SRIP" don't go. It will end either in police being arriving or other worse options. The stockyards by Chinatown are a much better place to street race. JUST DONT RACE THE JUNK LOOKING G BODYS. there was a guy who used to tow one there that looked like it would fall apart. But once he got up to the line and opened up that small block.....UNNNGGGGHHHH that sound was a sign it was not a POS. But you really should get a shooting stars logo for your windshield. for all the downhill mountain races we do in Chicago...plus that car is GUREATURU for HERRATIGHT DRIFTURU

downhill mountain racing ahahahahahaha

Nah, like I said before, the most I'd do is a vanity plate and louvers on the back window, because something about louvers just appeals to me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Track day or Autocross man.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

downhill mountain racing ahahahahahaha

Nah, like I said before, the most I'd do is a vanity plate and louvers on the back window, because something about louvers just appeals to me.

Louvers on a 1980s hatch/liftback should be mandatory

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SouthsideSaint posted:

It will end either in police being arriving or other worse options. The stockyards by Chinatown are a much better place to street race.

The best place to 'street race' is at the nearest track, strip, or autocross event unless you're really, really dying to lose your license and get your car impounded.

Street racing is dumb.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best place to 'street race' is at the nearest track, strip, or autocross event unless you're really, really dying to lose your license and get your car impounded.

Street racing is dumb.

Never said it wasn't. Just recommended a place I went too that wasn't a super busy place like Lower whacker drive. the stockyards in Chinatown result in some kid smashed in a riced out civic. Where as some idiots racing down lower whacker results in all types of death and horrible shenanigans. Once again either way street racing is dumb and a bad thing. Last time I went to the street races was ten years ago.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Street racing is a great thing... to watch other retards do with their cars.

Or to do in my old military truck. I got challenged by a garbage truck one day at a stop light. There we were, engines screaming, shifting at redline, slamming gears. Nearly hit the speed limit within a half mile.

And I lost :saddowns:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sounds like your alternator is probably fine, but keep in mind if you do need to change it the best way to get at it is from underneath the car and a fair amount of contortion of both your body and moving the alternator into place. The also means you'll want ramps that have a low enough slop angle to drive up on.

It's a good idea to have a set of appropriate ramps anyhow.

Also, keep an eye on your PS fluid. Those Nissan racks are infamous for leaking.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

This is genuinely a huge reason why I bought my mustang. I knew louvers would be plentiful.

edit: I always like a reason to post this picture too. It was on a local craigslist for $3500, I wish I had the money to buy it at the time.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Cool!

The part came in today!

I'm going over to pick it up soon. The weekend will be dedicated to figuring out how to put it on.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Bad News: They got me the positive terminal/cable, not the negative.

Buuuuuuuut I'm thinking that I could just fanagle it to work, since I'm pretty sure that a cable is a cable, just might need a little bit of fiddling to let it fit on the negative connection. Yes or no?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
you should just take it back and tell them to order the correct part. Unless you want to have a OEM positive cable. And you might be able to jerry rig something. But the end that attaches to the battery would have to be changed. And with that weird ground being right by the end of the negative cable you would need something to do that with as well.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

mafoose posted:

If coming up to a stop, keep it in whatever gear you're in until about 1.5k RPM, then clutch in and shift to neutral. The only time I might down shift one or two gears is if you're going fast enough to be in 5th.
You're not supposed to coast to a stop out of gear
or clutched in.

Why is this? I'm coming from bikes so I'm used to just rev-matching every shift, but heel-toe is hard :saddowns: so I've just been going from 5th (or whatever gear I'm in) to neutral for stops.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
IT WORKS.

SouthsideSaint rolled on down and it turns out that the terminals weren't put on tight enough to make it work.

He'll probably be on at some point to gush about how good the car looks. Apparently the pictures do it no justice whatsoever.

Edit: Namefix.

fishception fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good work, fellow member of Safety Squad.

e: Given information which has recently been issued to this thread, I wish to retract my endorsement of the SA forums poster "Safety Dance." On behalf of the Safety Squad, I wish to apologize.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 28, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AncientTV posted:

Why is this?

The car will decelerate faster in a lower gear as I am sure you know. If the car is going 65 mph and gets off at an exit for example a switch to 3rd halfway between the exit and an intersection will allow the engine to do more of the braking work.

e: If you're lazy like me and your pedals are in strange positions letting off the brake quickly to apply a throttle blip instead of doing a heel toe shift is common.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 28, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

IT WORKS.

Safety Dance rolled on down and it turns out that the terminals weren't put on tight enough to make it work.

He'll probably be on at some point to gush about how good the car looks. Apparently the pictures do it no justice whatsoever.

No I didn't. I've been at work all day.

WHO DARES SAFETY IN MY NAME?!!?!?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Safety Dance posted:

No I didn't. I've been at work all day.

WHO DARES SAFETY IN MY NAME?!!?!?

Scratch that then, it was SouthsideSaint.

You both apparently have the same name IRL.

Took it out for a quick spin to get some food, and as I was trying to make a left turn, fucker in an Audi TT or some two-door rear end in a top hat coupe slows down to stare at my car or something, causing me to not be able to make the left turn before more cars came.

loving amateurs need to learn how to drive.

fishception fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 28, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah it was me. That car sure looks a lot better in real life. That was a nice red and it was fun to drive thanks for letting me do so.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
New fun issue!

Car is overheating, and I don't know why. It's in the driveway, so that's fine, but I'm more interested in what kind of coolant I should put in there. I assume regular water is not a good idea, at least not treated with anti-freeze.

Water (coolant) temp was at 220 degrees in winter. That's not a positive thing.

GOOD news is that nothing happened to the car other than that, although the fans installed in the car to cool off the turbo is running and I'm not entirely sure what turns it off, or hopefully it's a temperature controlled fan and I don't have to worry.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Feed it green. Just give it a flush and refill. The hardest part will/would probably be to flush the heater core, so go ahead and drain/fill a gallon of premix at a time between drives if you don't really want to get too deep into it. It won't be a great flush, but it'll be better than just running the old poo poo as it is, topped off.

Greatly anticipating followups. What color is the new replacement Oil Catch Can going to be?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Feed it green. Just give it a flush and refill. The hardest part will/would probably be to flush the heater core, so go ahead and drain/fill a gallon of premix at a time between drives if you don't really want to get too deep into it. It won't be a great flush, but it'll be better than just running the old poo poo as it is, topped off.

Greatly anticipating followups. What color is the new replacement Oil Catch Can going to be?

So what you're saying is get a long pan to drain out all of what's left in the coolant cycle, and then refill it?

I halfway suspect that the entire coolant cycle turned into steam, since shitloads of it was pouring out of the clear plastic container with a hose sticking out of the top of it. So it may very well already be well drained out!

I got Prestone 50/50. Why is it important to feed it green as opposed to other anti-freeze?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I got Prestone 50/50. Why is it important to feed it green as opposed to other anti-freeze?

That depends whats in it, but green is the "universal" additive. I doubt it is running anything else, but pop the cap and check before blindly buying fluids.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Fair enough. I haven't checked to see if it's green, but worst case scenario, anti-freeze is cheap. Not like I have anywhere super important to go in the near future anyways.

As for flushing/draining/refilling.

I'll probably figure out where the coolant goes on my own, but where is the thing underneath the car to unscrew to drain the coolant out?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fair enough. I haven't checked to see if it's green, but worst case scenario, anti-freeze is cheap. Not like I have anywhere super important to go in the near future anyways.

As for flushing/draining/refilling.

I'll probably figure out where the coolant goes on my own, but where is the thing underneath the car to unscrew to drain the coolant out?

Usually its a spout on the radiator. Sometimes you need to remove the lower radiator hose and drain it that way. The only problem with this - you don't properly drain the heater core. If you were more experienced, I'd suggest a full water flush of the system by draining all fluids and running a few cycles after refilling with distilled water. As it is, you'll probably be fine as-is. If you don't have 'green' in it, post back here. AI will be able to tell you what it is- universal coolants shouldn't make too big of a problem, but it is always best to be safe.

I'd also suggest a replacement of the thermostat while you're at it. Did you try to kick the heater on when it got hot to see if it dropped at all?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Not sure on the specifics of this car, but on most of them there's a plastic wing nut looking plug on the bottom of the radiator. If there isn't, just pull the lower radiator hose.

Edit: gently caress you Viggen!!!!!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Not sure on the specifics of this car, but on most of them there's a plastic wing nut looking plug on the bottom of the radiator. If there isn't, just pull the lower radiator hose.

Edit: gently caress you Viggen!!!!!

The term is "petcock", you imbecile.

Petcock.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Usually its a spout on the radiator. Sometimes you need to remove the lower radiator hose and drain it that way. The only problem with this - you don't properly drain the heater core. If you were more experienced, I'd suggest a full water flush of the system by draining all fluids and running a few cycles after refilling with distilled water. As it is, you'll probably be fine as-is. If you don't have 'green' in it, post back here. AI will be able to tell you what it is- universal coolants shouldn't make too big of a problem, but it is always best to be safe.

I'd also suggest a replacement of the thermostat while you're at it. Did you try to kick the heater on when it got hot to see if it dropped at all?

It's winter. The heater was on full blast.

The only issue is, I'm not entirely sure where even the radiator is on this thing. There's no heat transferer-looking thingy, only the two big fans in front and that's about all I see. I'll take a picture of the engine, or maybe someone can use the picture I already have on the first page and circle what I need to dump fluid into/drain fluid out of.

As long as I generally know what piece I'm looking at, I should be able to figure it out.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Extra posted:

The car will decelerate faster in a lower gear as I am sure you know. If the car is going 65 mph and gets off at an exit for example a switch to 3rd halfway between the exit and an intersection will allow the engine to do more of the braking work.

e: If you're lazy like me and your pedals are in strange positions letting off the brake quickly to apply a throttle blip instead of doing a heel toe shift is common.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure there was no transmission voodoo reason why coasting from 5th was bad in a mechanical-bits sense.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The only issue is, I'm not entirely sure where even the radiator is on this thing. There's no heat transferer-looking thingy, only the two big fans in front and that's about all I see. I'll take a picture of the engine, or maybe someone can use the picture I already have on the first page and circle what I need to dump fluid into/drain fluid out of.

Take a picture. But from the first page follow those two big rubber hoses going into/out of the engine and see where they lead.

E: Here's your reservoir (thiner circle) and your radiator cap (thicker) as far as I can tell. Double check though and make sure that clearish container isn't your windshield washer fluid.

Here's some snippet from a service manual showing where the drain petcock is:

Follow those hoses to see where the actual radiator is. It might be hidden under a fan guard.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 29, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
The main problems I'm having are shifting into first gear on an uphill when a loving asshat decides that he needs to have his front bumper less than an inch from my rear end. That triggers my, "gently caress i need to shift into first fast" and might make me rev a biiiit too much.

Been coasting with the engine in neutral (shifted, not clutch in), figure that coasting with the car in neutral doesn't do anything bad to the car. Is this correct?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Plinkey posted:

Take a picture. But from the first page follow those two big rubber hoses going into/out of the engine and see where they lead.

E: Here's your reservoir (thiner circle) and your radiator cap (thicker) as far as I can tell. Double check though and make sure that clearish container isn't your windshield washer fluid.

Here's some snippet from a service manual showing where the drain petcock is:

Follow those hoses to see where the actual radiator is. It might be hidden under a fan guard.

Definitely the reservoir, not the washer fluid.

It was emitting steam.

Edit: Hee, Petcock.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
your right about coasting in neutral. Its a good thing. and look for your Pet cock, gentley carress the petcock in a counterclockwise motion. Repeat effect until hot thin green liquid soaks hands, driveway,face, what have you. If you want to do a semi legit flush poor some water through once the petcock is open.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

The main problems I'm having are shifting into first gear on an uphill when a loving asshat decides that he needs to have his front bumper less than an inch from my rear end. That triggers my, "gently caress i need to shift into first fast" and might make me rev a biiiit too much.

Been coasting with the engine in neutral (shifted, not clutch in), figure that coasting with the car in neutral doesn't do anything bad to the car. Is this correct?

I think that it's safer to use engine braking rather than coasting neutral. If your in neutral, you will be unable to accelerate in an emergency. It also messes of the driving dynamics of your car, weight balance shifting, that sort of think. Very important for snow driving.

Nothing harmful to the car, but better practice to stay in gear when slowing down.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

I think that it's safer to use engine braking rather than coasting neutral. If your in neutral, you will be unable to accelerate in an emergency. It also messes of the driving dynamics of your car, weight balance shifting, that sort of think. Very important for snow driving.

Nothing harmful to the car, but better practice to stay in gear when slowing down.

everything you said is correct. but he has stated a few times he is not going to drive in the snow. also when first getting started learning manual its better the just put it in neutral and not stall out trying to decelerate to a light.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

everything you said is correct. but he has stated a few times he is not going to drive in the snow. also when first getting started learning manual its better the just put it in neutral and not stall out trying to decelerate to a light.

All of this.

All of this forever.

Stalling out is not fun at all. It's recoverable, but I really really don't like stalling out, especially on uphills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
soooooo after driving your car and falling in love with all the eightys technology and styling I may be doing something a little insane. My accord is getting put up on the chopping block for the first rear wheel jdm I find.

• Locked thread