Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I mean I made the thread, so I'm probably biased, but I think the game is worth the price, even already, and it's only in alpha. There's a TON of things coming that will make it even better (open world navigation, an economy, &c.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Followed the tactical advice in the threadtitle, got sunk by a single broadside from a first rate.

NELSON :argh:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bought this a couple hours ago after sitting on the fence for a few weeks.

Now I'm like :f5: waiting for my key...

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Played a PvE game, captured myself a bote. Did a PvP game, got sniped by someone with his first broadside and sunk shortly later with his 3rd or so (some people are really good at shooting).

What are the preconditions for boarding? I tried it in a PvP game, and it didnt work...

Edit: and whats this consturctor thing? Only a UI-mockup?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Game is fun as hell. Are there really no graphics/info in the lobby yet, or is mine bugged to a grey screen with some buttons on it?

My sailing is (predictably) pretty good, but apparently all my gunners are drunk, because I can't aim worth a gently caress (yes, it's me, I'm bad). At this rate, it seems like it will take forever to get out of the Lynx. The Yacht is more fun, but it doesn't seem to count toward progression.

It takes 15-20 minutes, but this always seems to happen:

e: I say that, then I sink 2 out of the 3 enemy ships I'm left fighting when my team mates sink in the first 5 minutes.
e2: Apparently the kills were awarded to those team mates though. Alpha, I guess...

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
Constructor lets you choose what guns to equip your ship with.

I think kills are awarded to whoever does most damage to the ship before it sinks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Even with double-shotted carronades and firing point-blank I'm not doing heaps of damage, but I'm guessing that's got a lot to do with the way the guns are still pretty small and there aren't many of them on the Lynx. I guess it's gonna take 10-15 games to get to the Cutter, but it's fun as hell anyway. At least I'm sinking other ships now. Last game I actually got a kill credit, and would have got a second one if the game hadn't ended for no apparent reason (do PVE ships surrender when the odds go to 3:1 or something?)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I got my code, so I know what I'm doing all weekend! We should organise some sync-drops and coordinate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nektu posted:

Played a PvE game, captured myself a bote. Did a PvP game, got sniped by someone with his first broadside and sunk shortly later with his 3rd or so (some people are really good at shooting).

What are the preconditions for boarding? I tried it in a PvP game, and it didnt work...

Edit: and whats this consturctor thing? Only a UI-mockup?

Are you using repairs?

As far as boarding, I believe both ships need to be moving fairly slowly. Then it's basically a rock/paper/scissors game, at least for now.

And the constructor lets you choose which guns to put on your ships. I'm not a big fan of carronades, so I always load the regular cannons. The long guns are nice if you want to snipe, but they also take longer to reload.

AlphaDog posted:

Game is fun as hell. Are there really no graphics/info in the lobby yet, or is mine bugged to a grey screen with some buttons on it?

My sailing is (predictably) pretty good, but apparently all my gunners are drunk, because I can't aim worth a gently caress (yes, it's me, I'm bad). At this rate, it seems like it will take forever to get out of the Lynx. The Yacht is more fun, but it doesn't seem to count toward progression.

It takes 15-20 minutes, but this always seems to happen:

e: I say that, then I sink 2 out of the 3 enemy ships I'm left fighting when my team mates sink in the first 5 minutes.
e2: Apparently the kills were awarded to those team mates though. Alpha, I guess...

The lobby is currently all grey, yes.

Also, are you using spacebar to fire ranging shots first?

E: Added this to the OP, but pasting here too.

* Controls and keybinds
* The UI Explained

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 27, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just found this thread, I haven't been so excited for a game All year. Age of Sail being probably my favorite period there hasn't been much new worth playing for a few years. Buying it right now, I pray its good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I already feel like it was worth the $40, and it's still in Alpha.

There are some shortcomings, sometimes it gets a little tedious doing the same things over and over, but that's part of testing. Also there are some pretty dumb pubbies who don't understand lining up in a large battle, but not much you can do about that.

E: I'm repeating myself. I should go to bed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

The lobby is currently all grey, yes.

Also, are you using spacebar to fire ranging shots first?

E: Added this to the OP, but pasting here too.

* Controls and keybinds
* The UI Explained

Thank you! I figured out the spacebar thing on my own about an hour ago and I've been kicking arses since then. I also realised that the red bar in gunnery view is for aiming :doh: I legit didn't even notice it there the first few matches.

I just sank a brig and a cutter in my cutter while my teammate flailed helplessly. I'm pretty sure I've got the hang of it now, even if I do keep losing my bowsprit.

Game is worth the money right now. I hope it gets better (ie, matchmaking, open world mode, different types of matches, etc) but still, heaps of fun as-is.

e: If they end up letting you customise paint/sails/flags/pendants I will spend hours and hours just on that.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 27, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

AlphaDog posted:

Even with double-shotted carronades and firing point-blank I'm not doing heaps of damage, but I'm guessing that's got a lot to do with the way the guns are still pretty small and there aren't many of them on the Lynx. I guess it's gonna take 10-15 games to get to the Cutter, but it's fun as hell anyway. At least I'm sinking other ships now. Last game I actually got a kill credit, and would have got a second one if the game hadn't ended for no apparent reason (do PVE ships surrender when the odds go to 3:1 or something?)
When fighting against ships of your own class you actually seem to do a significant amount of damage to them with each hit (hitting near the waterline seems to work well) - just not "much" damage in regards to the ship progression.

Viperidae posted:

Constructor lets you choose what guns to equip your ship with.
So that thing actually works? Calling it a barebone UI would be an insult to barebone UIs, but I guess I like that they got their priorities straight and use an alpha like it is supposed to be used instead of just showcasing the game for free.

Are you using repairs?
In the repair menu there are several options (armor, pumps, ...). Only armor repair seems to work though (even while flooding was gently turning me into a u-boat). Anything special to know?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nektu posted:

In the repair menu there are several options (armor, pumps, ...). Only armor repair seems to work though (even while flooding was gently turning me into a u-boat). Anything special to know?

I guarantee that repairing sails works too (at least, I've put bowsprits back on a couple of times). "Pump" in the repair menu seems to do nothing though (and doesn't use a repair point).

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
Selecting Pump repairs the pump if it is damaged. Same with Rudder.

To actually pump out water you need to set your crew to survival. They also plug leaks when you do this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's the least obvious thing I've seen in this game so far.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nektu posted:

When fighting against ships of your own class you actually seem to do a significant amount of damage to them with each hit (hitting near the waterline seems to work well) - just not "much" damage in regards to the ship progression.

So that thing actually works? Calling it a barebone UI would be an insult to barebone UIs, but I guess I like that they got their priorities straight and use an alpha like it is supposed to be used instead of just showcasing the game for free.

Yeah, you can change the guns in constructor, though all the starting ships up to the snow are probably best off using the 6 pounders. The big difference you'll notice when you get to frigates is that they start carrying bigger guns which do significantly more damage.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I love this game. I got rammed on my port side, which I'd just loaded with double shot. I'm not sure he expected that much damage and to die immediately, but that's what happens when a Cutter rams a Lynx.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This looks pretty nice, I'll grab it with my next paycheck. It looks like It's exactly the kind of game I was looking for.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

That's the least obvious thing I've seen in this game so far.

There's a lot of that in the Alpha, which is why I definitely recommend perusing their forums. They will eventually have tutorials and a manual, but for now you're sort of on your own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ooh, I managed to take down a Surprise from my Lynx. Three wins, and now onto the Cutter!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You guys need to post some videos or something. :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCi_CPt9zeA

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So is there nothing to play until next Friday when they send out Steam keys?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Oh god, that frigate at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aCi_CPt9zeA#t=1942

Ballsy little gently caress, and he does pay dearly for it a few seconds later.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Nektu posted:

Oh god, that frigate at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aCi_CPt9zeA#t=1942

Ballsy little gently caress, and he does pay dearly for it a few seconds later.

I gotta be honest - as good as that looks, it doesn't seem like a massive gameplay improvement over existing age-of-sail-'em-ups like East India Company. A dynamic campaign or open world multiplayer with convoys, merchant trading, etc... would change my mind in a heartbeat though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's coming, but no idea when.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
OP - I thought I recognized you in one of RamJB's videos!

This looks gorgeous and like a nice diversion from my usual games - the closest I've ever come before is playing Sid Meier's Pirates.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pirates is what I play when the Naval Action servers are down. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Check this out: http://i.imgur.com/LNphBMT.jpg

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've never been good with cursive. I can barely read that. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A bad day dot jpeg

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
pretty sick yacht you have there

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

A bad day dot jpeg

Man, I don't know, with that much damage your foremast should have gone by the board ages ago. The backstays are all gone!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

god with 140 guns how did anyone serving on a santisimo have any form of hearing left after a battle.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jimlit posted:

god with 140 guns how did anyone serving on a santisimo have any form of hearing left after a battle.

WHAT'S THAT, SHIPMATE?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I got my key and I'm downloading, where's everyone at?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

New patch today, mostly some tweaking and the addition of a dueling room (for 1v1 play).

Also the last update on combat for a while, open world is apparently coming very soon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Got my key today too, man the combat is excellent! Lost trying to board I think a cutter in my yacht. But I got some good shots in and was juking line ship fire like a pro. Can't wait for open world to come in. I'd like a strictly pve mode too for testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Game is really good, one game away from a cutter, yay 2 more guns!

• Locked thread