Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ended up in a 2v2 PVP, with 1 lynx and 1 cutter on each side.

Managed to score lots of damage on both, but the friendly cutter claimed both kills :arghfist:

Not sure what I think of the damage repair yet, it's a little bit too health potion esque for my liking in what is otherwise a realistic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's a pretty big thread on their forums about repairs, the gist being that it's okay for now being in alpha, but we definitely need something more realistic.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'd love to see repairs become reduced in effectiveness or eliminated if the ship's carpenter is killed. "Well boys, Chips and his mate are dead. Who knows how to swing a hammer?"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Something just happen with the serves? Was in the lobby for a moment, got stuck at the loading screen dropped out and now stock at loading again upon reboot.

Edit: Nevermind...connection error server down

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'd love to see repairs become reduced in effectiveness or eliminated if the ship's carpenter is killed. "Well boys, Chips and his mate are dead. Who knows how to swing a hammer?"
When I was at Mary Rose museum yesterday they had the perfectly preserved skeleton of the carpenter's dog, which they found in his workshop when they lifted the ship.
Then i got to the giftshop and they were selling stuffed toys of the loving dog and his name was Chips or something.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Oberleutnant posted:

When I was at Mary Rose museum yesterday they had the perfectly preserved skeleton of the carpenter's dog, which they found in his workshop when they lifted the ship.
Then i got to the giftshop and they were selling stuffed toys of the loving dog and his name was Chips or something.

Hah! Chips was the traditional nickname for Ship's Carpenters in the Royal Navy. Just like Jemmy Ducks for the ship's poulterer. It pretty much came with the office.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There is really a massive difference in skill among players in the top ships. Sometimes people in Santissmas are loving dismasting wizards and your whole fleet is sail-less by the time you've engaged, sometimes they're utter incompetents who think being in a Santissma means they're immune to the cannonfire of the entire enemy fleet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In that way, it is identical to World of Tanks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Had a good game just before work, 4 vs 4

Started out the enemy were hitting a lot of shots from far out, farther than our guns were accurate for. Then their lead ship miss-timed a turn and sent their line into a mess.

I was able to flank around to their stern and disrupt them even further, so our 2 snow's could move in and deal some heavy damage

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Colonial Air Force posted:

In that way, it is identical to World of Tanks.

The funny thing I'm finding about this game is that if you have even a minor understanding of how sailing and sailed combat works you can dance around like crazy. I spent probably 25 minutes in a game last night zigging a Lynx back and forth down wind to create angles to take the bow off a Lynx and maybe 65% of a Snows health. Granted it's a Lynx and maneuverability is its thing, but being able to create a shot let loose then angle away so the pub can't get a clean shot down the flank or the prow.

Now I have 2 questions: 1. Do larger guns shoot flatter? My biggest issue is dropping things short or over the top at medium range. Or should I just lob chains at the mast so that firing higher doesn't just land beyond the vessel harmlessly. 2nd. Was there any leaning towards adding crew skills (like WoT)or crew specialties (trained for a Lynx vs a Snow or whatever)? My leanings would be prefer not to have vessel specialties but a well trained crew able to reload ~2.5% faster or sail upwind 5% better or something.

Edited to add questions.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 11, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The funny thing I'm finding about this game is that if you have even a minor understanding of how sailing and sailed combat works you can dance around like crazy. I spent probably 25 minutes in a game last night zigging a Lynx back and forth down wind to create angles to take the bow off a Lynx and maybe 65% of a Snows health. Granted it's a Lynx and maneuverability is its thing, but being able to create a shot let loose then angle away so the pub can't get a clean shot down the flank or the prow.

Now I have 2 questions: 1

That's a number, and only one number, not two. :v:

Also, you're in a fore-and-aft which does have better maneuverability. When you get to a square-rigged, you'll want to learn how to turn with your masts, not just your rudders, so you can do the same thing (although generally a little slower).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I mashed too many buttons at once and it posted before I was done typing :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I figured.

Now I have 2 questions: 1. Do larger guns shoot flatter? My biggest issue is dropping things short or over the top at medium range. Or should I just lob chains at the mast so that firing higher doesn't just land beyond the vessel harmlessly. 2nd. Was there any leaning towards adding crew skills (like WoT)or crew specialties (trained for a Lynx vs a Snow or whatever)? My leanings would be prefer not to have vessel specialties but a well trained crew able to reload ~2.5% faster or sail upwind 5% better or something.

1. I haven't noticed them shooting flatter, although I suppose they must because they definitely seem to shoot farther. They use more powder, after all.

But what you should be doing is firing test shots first, with spacebar, and then when one lands, fire the rest.

2. There will be some sort of officer skills or the like, but nothing has really been set in stone as to what they'll do or how they'll work if your officers can be killed at sea. Here's one of probably many threads on it: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/97-crew-skills/

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Thank you much. Think I might adjust to shooting everything at medium/long range one round at a time so I can adjust after every shot and then swap to doubles or chains as distance closes. Square rigs are definitely going to take some getting used to but I've been messing with setting the sails a bit in the Lynx and Yatch to adjust speed relative to an opponent as opposed to swapping between full and half sails (takes to long to try and get back up to speed for my liking).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Lynx and Cutter are best firing shots individually I found, when I moved up to the Brig that takes too long though. It's good to get practice making those single aiming shots cause as Colonial Air Force said you'll want to fire test shots before firing everything at once.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Jesus, I just narrowly lost out in a 3v1 after my teammates died. The last enemy guy was dead in the water and slowly sinking, but I went under just before he did. Crazy, wheeling fight between my cutter, an enemy Lynx, and a pair of cutters.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Snows are the biggest bitch in PVP light. They take such a ridiculous pounding. Unlocked the Brig and had a few games in it and it's all right. The 18 pound cannonades on the back are funny. My gunnery has improved somewhat now I just need to work on living longer and doing more damage.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah the Snow should really not be considered light.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's way too light to be in the big group though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On its own, but not as part of an opposing big group. I kind of want Trafalgar to let the little ships in, once there are 20 big ships.

Those little things annoy the piss out of the frigates.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Re: Cannonchat, the Long guns have a flatter trajectory relative to their equivilent regular weight. This is really important because you really want the cannonballs to hit just above the waterline.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So anyone who was interested in getting this will have to wait... Paypal has taken issue with the sudden influx of pre-orders and put a hold on their account.

I guess the activity seemed suspicious to Paypal, and the official word was they are afraid the developers will not deliver a game and are bilking people out of money.

Which I find absolutely hilarious considering they've happily taken a chunk of the $70 million + black market activity that Star Citizen has generated with nary a cough

From the official forums:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2760-pre-orders-stopped-because-paypal/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
drat Paypal is lovely, normally I wouldn't bother but I sent Paypal an email cause I really want this game to continue.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I think I lucked out and ordered literally a few hours before they came up with this bullshit.

It really does suck because they're finally get some decent exposure, and people are streaming it on twitch

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Paypal says it'll take 3 to 6 months to solve this issue? Well, I guess I'll have to wait for the steam early-access release than. :smith:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Paypal says it'll take 3 to 6 months to solve this issue? Well, I guess I'll have to wait for the steam early-access release than. :smith:

I don't think it'll take that long, the forum-goers fired a broadside-email into Paypal's offices

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's a post in that thread that says PayPal is already working to get it opened back up.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Re: Cannonchat, the Long guns have a flatter trajectory relative to their equivilent regular weight. This is really important because you really want the cannonballs to hit just above the waterline.

Is the reload significantly worse or like an extra 5 seconds or something.

I have improved somewhat with accuracy but still not to a point I'm happy with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Funny you should ask! Someone just posted this: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1941-damage-cannons-repairs-firing-aiming-suggestions-and-feedback/?p=57300

The answer is actually no, it's only a couple of seconds. It's sort of changing my opinion on whether or not to use longs.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Swapped to Longs. Seems flatter. Daddy like. Other random question (that is probably on their forums, which sorry I should probably look around there more) what is up with the Snow's firing arc? It seems like that thing has some crazy firing arc that allows it to shoot pretty far in front of it and fairly far behind when side on. Only reason I bring it up is because with the Cutter you could get into a nice blind spot on the Brig and really go to town from up wind or down wind, however I take those spots (think like on the diagonal) against a Snow and then eat a full broadside. Am I doing a lovely job positioning (neither far enough in front or behind) allowing shots because of the Brigs size or does the Snow really have a crazy firing arc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I wasn't in the Snow long enough to really notice. I'll have to play with it and see.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Currently, there is pretty much no reason not to use the Longs because the rewards outweight the very slight detriment, being only a few seconds. In any case, being able to put more shots downrange at a longer range is pretty handy, as soon as I switched to longs I starting kicking some serious rear end

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I put some money in my paypal account for the express purpose of buying this one as soon as it's available again. They only send out keys on fridays right? So even if they sort it out with paypal in the next few days I'll have to wait for at least the 23rd to sail into my demise?

Well, let's see if paypal manages to get things sorted out until than in the first place. :smith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hah! Chips was the traditional nickname for Ship's Carpenters in the Royal Navy. Just like Jemmy Ducks for the ship's poulterer. It pretty much came with the office.

Still call us Carpenters 'Chippies' here in Aus, and in the UK

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Whoa. What happe? Magazine fire?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No idea. The Admin posted that in the thread about cannon damage saying that they knew 24 pdrs should be better than 18 pdrs, but that they were busy working on some other things right now.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

If you want to see a great example of light ship maneuvering (and singing!), watch the video The Mighty Jingles just posted
http://youtu.be/NYkkcnIiuOQ

With Jingles and some other big YouTubers making videos about this game, it's about get really big. Jingles alone has over 300,000 subscribers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

If you want to see a great example of light ship maneuvering (and singing!), watch the video The Mighty Jingles just posted
http://youtu.be/NYkkcnIiuOQ

With Jingles and some other big YouTubers making videos about this game, it's about get really big. Jingles alone has over 300,000 subscribers.

Paypall need to sort their poo poo out right now, this vid is what convinced me the game is good enough to drop full-price money on. Realistic age-of-sail combat just ticks all the boxes for me to bypass the 'never until it's on sale' rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Great video!

Although it's really more of a 19th C. game, especially at the moment.

• Locked thread