Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
the bible is the word of the LORD and is a chronicle of real events
yes
yes
yes
yes
View Results

• Locked thread
Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Where in the Bible does it mention the age of Earth? Legit question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Boz0r posted:

Where in the Bible does it mention the age of Earth? Legit question.

Some people like to use Genesis chronology to calculate it. Like, "Patriarch X lived for Y years", poo poo like that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Does it say so and so lived for 800 years? Doesn't matter.
Does it specifically deny dinosaurs existed? Doesn't matter.
Are there gospels missing from the new testament? Doesn't matter.
Was it assembled piecemeal hundreds of years after Jesus by some random dudes? Doesn't matter.
Does the assembled collection contradict itself chronologically and factually? Doesn't matter.

This is god's word given to us directly somehow! loving DEAL WITH IT. ALL OF IT.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder what kind of hosed up fan fiction DIDNT make it into the bible

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There is one where child Jesus kills kids with fire in a playground fight.

Seriously.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
theres this wacky goop made out of carbon inside every living thing that works like lego building instructions. the instructions that lead to crappy living things get destroyed and the ones that manage to stay around get to try to make copies of themselves, with varying levels of success. this process was given the name "evolution" because it really rolls off the tongue. hth, op

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

This section is called the Apocrypha, and the last estimate I heard (from Nat. Geo. channel or something) put the Apocrypha at 100 times the amount of material that made it into the King James' Bible. Anyone who read the Book of Revelations knows it is "pretty iffy" so far as the word of God goes (either that or they are a serial killer) but Revelations is not in the Apocrypha just yet. And not all of the withheld writings are wacky Revelations caliber; some of it just conflicts slightly with other bits of the KJV. The Jews also have Books they leave out.

According to some Apocrypha not only did Jesus know Judas was going to betray him, but actually it was Jesus' idea. So really Judas is a hero working with his buddy Jesus to prove that the corrupt Roman state can't stop a powerful idea.

You can see firsthand the kind of stuff which was written in Biblical times, some of which was left out and some of which is just grocery lists or advertisements for prostitutes. Also, there is a podcast to get you interested:
http://www.radiolab.org/story/91517-the-greatest-hits-of-ancient-garbage/

or the more direct route, if you can read ancient languages and feel like transcribing them to help a lazy university:
http://www.ancientlives.org/?utm_source=Zooniverse%20Home&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Homepage%20Catalogue

(Feel free to take screen grabs since apparently Oxford is being an information-hogging bitch about wanting to publish any claims of discovery about their pile of ancient writings that they'd like your help transcribing.)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

reminder that baseball players are the dumbest sports figures

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you want to know what evolution feels like from the perspective of the universe, try blindly hex editing computer files

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

keith law did nothing wrong

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I am gonna watch the new Ridley Scott movie about Moses and it is gonna be sicqqque

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

lonesomedwarf posted:

what if the bible storys is an allegory for evolution

No. Use of allegory, metaphor, or any other things like that are the work of the Devil, and are blasphemous.

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

If evolution is true, how come the White Race is so superior to the others? stupid LIEbrals

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Christian Science is the One True Science. All other methodology of testing theories and quantifying results are of Satan.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Big Beef City posted:

Does it say so and so lived for 800 years? Doesn't matter.
Does it specifically deny dinosaurs existed? Doesn't matter.
Are there gospels missing from the new testament? Doesn't matter.
Was it assembled piecemeal hundreds of years after Jesus by some random dudes? Doesn't matter.
Does the assembled collection contradict itself chronologically and factually? Doesn't matter.

This is god's word given to us directly somehow! loving DEAL WITH IT. ALL OF IT.

Dude the bible is evolving!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Basically. He didn't roll his eyes about liberals but about people who believe in evolution and the people in the church went "mmhmm!! Preach it pastor"

That's a weird topic for a funeral. Reminds me of when I went to a wedding at a born again church in a strip mall, and it was like 80% about Jesus. The actual getting married part was like an afterthought.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TVs Ian posted:

That's a weird topic for a funeral. Reminds me of when I went to a wedding at a born again church in a strip mall, and it was like 80% about Jesus. The actual getting married part was like an afterthought.

It's not so uncommon. I don't know how hard up for more tithing members in a congregation priests are, but I suspect pretty bad. I don't think I've been to a memorial service where the eternal Hellfires were not brought up. To me it seems disrespectful to the deceased and their loved ones. But then I dispense comfort and wit for free, so I don't know the details of attempting to run a brick and mortar business by preying on people's insecurities, problems, and hopelessness.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Boat posted:

Dude the bible is evolving!

Oh man, I hope you equipped a thunder or fire stone!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
business gorillas do u know what kind of irony is involved in this thread? DO U??

ugh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If evolution is real then why have I never seen a Pokemon in real life? Checkmate atheists.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

evilution

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

evolution is a revolution

in thought

in worldview

in human progress and rights

if ur not aboard the train, ur gettin left behind

sorry

Tussin Grimace
Oct 23, 2007

cahsin mahney busta
How Can Evolution Be Real If Monkeys Are Real?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tussin Grimace posted:

How Can Evolution Be Real If Monkeys Are Real?

beats me, isnt that what evolution is all about? us coming from monkeys? makes no sense op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

Catholic weddings have the same 3 reading sessions that a normal mass does, they're typically 'love' orientated (like 'Song of Solomon' stuff without the nubile tits and sexing parts), on top of the 'marriage'. I've been at Catholic weddings that were like 1:30 long. poo poo gets LONG winded, especially if it's a large wedding with a long procession for communion.

That's why when I got hitched we had readings from the books of Walden and Thoreau, and closed with the Irish Blessing and called it a day. 20'ish minutes and outta that piece.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What if evolution is a closed circle and everything just devolves back into Eukaryotes.

What then, Obama?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm the coloring hints

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
If you've got God, you've got a friend. And that friend is you.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

MegaGatts posted:

It was okay. I think the first act was excellent and did a good job at recapturing the magic of Ghostbusters(Something the film was obviously trying it's damnedest to do). David duchovny and Orlando Jones had way better chemistry than I expected. However as the move went on it began to lose the audience with pacing problems and jokes that didn't register.

3/5

I know a guy who was an extra in that movie. He told me they dressed him up like an army man then he stood around all afternoon doing nothing and smoked weed in a humvee.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the people that go 'microevolution is real but macroevolution is not' are dumb fucks

"yeah the FRUIT FLY can evolve different traits in a few hundred generations but this never results in evolved traits over the course of thousands of years"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 24, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

those ppl dont even know wtf microevolution is they're just parroting talking poitns

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

nomadologique posted:

business gorillas do u know what kind of irony is involved in this thread? DO U??

ugh

typical :rolleyes: liberal :rolleyes: thinking that anyone who actually cares about anything is being "ironic"

some of us love the LORD and the bounty he has given us and praise his name on high. the LORD made all manner of beasts and continues to show us his glory every day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I like the whole "worship me or suffer" angle. Really makes sense. Like this being created everything and then says "I'm going to disappear but if you don't praise me then you'll pay."

Ok bye hail Satan

• Locked thread