Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
No I'm sorry, it's not our responsibility to help you tick all the species off your bird-spotting list "JayWalker1979". Do your own homework.

There was a time when these forums genuinely devoted to bird watching discussion, but recently they've been clogged up with terrible "Where can I see X" threads like this and it's killing my enjoyment. Could we get some mod action here please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
How is birdwatching exciting? is it an aspie thing like trains?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone is a bird watcher in a sense when you think about it. Not a day goes by that I don't watch one bird or another

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
:rolleyes: Uh mods the trollers from Your Osprey is a Piece Of poo poo are shitposting about how they'd like to see some 'blue tits'

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Read the goddamn bird FAQ, noob.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Remember this movie??

No one does.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

Remember this movie??

No one does.

Its hard to remember something that was never cognized to begin with

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you haven't been to south texas during a migration, where the migratory flight paths of every migratory bird in north america converge then I don't even know why the gently caress you think you can even post around here

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Welp, got hassled yet again by the police for taking my binoculars to the park. People wouldn't be so suspicious of my intentions if the city council would just bulldoze that jungle gym like I've repeatedly requested.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

oh another swallow joke. great.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

theperminator posted:

How is birdwatching exciting? is it an aspie thing like trains?

one of my bosses does bird-watching. She's a 70 year old widow and her other passion is researching brick-works, a subject on which she gives talks to local history societies pretty regularly.
In answer to your question: spergy as gently caress.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

one of my bosses does bird-watching. She's a 70 year old widow and her other passion is researching brick-works, a subject on which she gives talks to local history societies pretty regularly.
In answer to your question: spergy as gently caress.

That's actually kind of nice and you seem unironically jaded as gently caress

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

That's actually kind of nice and you seem unironically jaded as gently caress

It seems boring

As gently caress.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Incidentally, I'm pretty happy with my Bushnell PowerView. Fantastic magnification and the rubber grip gives it a nice feel. Makes my old Celestron seem like dogshit.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

im jay

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mookface posted:

It seems boring

As gently caress.

Yeah I guess to dumb people education and historical investigation could be seen as boring, but that's only to dumb people.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I guess to dumb people education and historical investigation could be seen as boring, but that's only to dumb people.

lol nigga i work in a medieval archive. some historical subjects are too boring even for me tho

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Peterson's Field Guide sold out years ago. Don't be quotin that newb poo poo at me. Do us all a favor and go watch the blue jays out your momma's window until your nuts drop.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

why don't all you kids go home and let the adults bird in peace

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Lately, a lot of fowl games have been released on Steam. This has ruffled a lot of feathers, and with good reason, as there are some real birdbrains making videogames nowadays. But I'm talon you, this isn't one of those, this game is eggcellent. You might fink people just buy it for ironic purposes, but it's eggshelly a very good game. The premise may make you worried that the game's a bit of an odd duck - a human gull going to a school for birds? To call that "realistic" would be ostrich, so a lot of peeps might wonder how the flock that can make for a fun game. But if you give it a chance and carrion with it, you'll discover that it is well written, with a migrate cast of characters. You're bound to have a pheasant time with this, and even if you're still hesitant, you should swallow your pride and buy the game on a lark (it's not that expensive, so don't worry about the bill), and you'll discover an impeckable game with hours of replay value. So just spend some cash from your nest egg, and from heron out you won't egret your perchase. You'll have a hoot, guaranteed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

lol nigga i work in a medieval archive. some historical subjects are too boring even for me tho

you're the jaded one (with a cool job), not the dumb one. We should talk heraldry sometime :allears:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Goddamnit I'm so sick of the newbies around here claiming they spotted a White-rumped Swift whilst sipping their morning coffee and looking out the window and aren't they lucky and special? That's a loving Common Swift you ignorant plebe, White-rumps have been spotted, like, ONCE in the area before. ONCE. Your precious crowning achievement in birdwatching is a simple misspecification, and if you'd pulled your head out of rear end long enough to buy a proper pair of binoculars you'd know this!

loving casuals, right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How common are liars and resulting fights on birdwatching forums?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bring back laissez's falcon

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Al Cowens posted:

Lately, a lot of fowl games have been released on Steam. This has ruffled a lot of feathers, and with good reason, as there are some real birdbrains making videogames nowadays. But I'm talon you, this isn't one of those, this game is eggcellent. You might fink people just buy it for ironic purposes, but it's eggshelly a very good game. The premise may make you worried that the game's a bit of an odd duck - a human gull going to a school for birds? To call that "realistic" would be ostrich, so a lot of peeps might wonder how the flock that can make for a fun game. But if you give it a chance and carrion with it, you'll discover that it is well written, with a migrate cast of characters. You're bound to have a pheasant time with this, and even if you're still hesitant, you should swallow your pride and buy the game on a lark (it's not that expensive, so don't worry about the bill), and you'll discover an impeckable game with hours of replay value. So just spend some cash from your nest egg, and from heron out you won't egret your perchase. You'll have a hoot, guaranteed.

Looks like I have to be the one to ask the question on everyone's lips: Do we get to see a cockatoo?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

bring back laissez's falcon

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This post has been a long time coming but it's about time I got this off my chest. Over the years this forum has grown immeasurably. It started off as a very small niche forum with only a few members and has grown into the lumbering monstrosity we post in today.
In 2004 when this forum first opened it was a breath of fresh air. I truly felt that I had found a group of like minded individuals with whom I could share my hobby and indeed my soul.
Today? I don't even recognize half of the thread topics. A lot of you newer members and even some of the old guard that have embraced the change will call me out of touch or that I'm pining for days that will never come again.
However! When I see a thread entitled "An Andean Odyssey: My quest to photograph the elusive Condor" I just lose it.
This is a forum for BRITISH PERVERTS. You loving idiots.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
hey guys cuckatoo lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Roy posted:

hey guys cuckatoo lol

Ugh, can we not do this here, in the most troll-free bird forum on the internet? Take that garbage to General Bird poo poo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ugh. remember when we used to ban people with gross bird sex fetishes? admin only cares about the pageviews.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
I suggest a mass ban of all Sparrow-level users until we can return this forum to its former glory. After that, we can let new Sparrows in on a case-by-case basis. I understand that this will make a lot of work for the mods, but it's the only way.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
*Graceful Goldfinch flits by*
Hipster Birder Was that bird yellow!?
Me You do know you're supposed to look for its shape and size first right?
Hipster Birder What? I just asked if it was yellow? I'm trying to find a yellow throated sparrow.
Me Sparrows are an invasive species, a trash bird if you will. In your hurry to fill your hipster bird bucket list you missed out on the visceral emotion of seeing a native male goldfinch in flight.
*Goldfinch buzzes by my head and chirps it's thanks to me*

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Back from our first birding trip. It didn't start well. The internet guide said to stick to the main road. We saw about 2 birds in half an hour. A robin and a something.

So we hopped of the road and went on the forest trail. Almost immediately the kids started spotting stuff! We saw a pair of cardinals. A pair (I think, one was gray and one was blue) jays, maybe a swift? Some type of sparrow that we aren't good enough to identify. Also we saw a warbler. The general consensus is that it was a cerulean warbler, but it may have been a different kind. Some tufted titmice. I am not sure if I am supposed to capitalize birds or not. Is it jay, or Jay?

Everyone had a great time. I am setting up a bird feeder with black sunflower seeds, and another with mealworms (what we feed our lizard, we have like 2,000 of them) right now. We bought a lovely pair of binoculars for 20 bucks on the way home. Even they are a huge improvement over nothing, though. My son is stalking through the woods with them right now. The Great White Hunter.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Stop buying premade bird houses you lazy fucks. Make your own. It's stupidly easy. AND STOP USING CEDAR. Pine or Plywood last longer.

I'm getting tired of having to repeat this.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

satanic splash-back posted:

Back from our first birding trip. It didn't start well. The internet guide said to stick to the main road. We saw about 2 birds in half an hour. A robin and a something.

So we hopped of the road and went on the forest trail. Almost immediately the kids started spotting stuff! We saw a pair of cardinals. A pair (I think, one was gray and one was blue) jays, maybe a swift? Some type of sparrow that we aren't good enough to identify. Also we saw a warbler. The general consensus is that it was a cerulean warbler, but it may have been a different kind. Some tufted titmice. I am not sure if I am supposed to capitalize birds or not. Is it jay, or Jay?

Everyone had a great time. I am setting up a bird feeder with black sunflower seeds, and another with mealworms (what we feed our lizard, we have like 2,000 of them) right now. We bought a lovely pair of binoculars for 20 bucks on the way home. Even they are a huge improvement over nothing, though. My son is stalking through the woods with them right now. The Great White Hunter.

Buy shelled sunflower seed if you can. More expensive but birds love it and no shells to clean up.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i'm a great tit

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Viridiant posted:

Stop buying premade bird houses you lazy fucks. Make your own. It's stupidly easy. AND STOP USING CEDAR. Pine or Plywood last longer.

I'm getting tired of having to repeat this.

Viridiant, really? We're just asking for a repeat the incident, last Summer, if you don't start elaborating further. You know the noobs are useless as gently caress, they'll use treated pine again, and old Mrs. McGillicutty is going to have another tearful mental breakdown if she's gotta go out documenting the mass of dead bird carcasses due to TOXIC loving TREATED PINE BEING USED!! Christ Alfknmighty!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Ouut in ht e yard ald what do you thikk I see? LBB, LBB LBB and oh yes antoher LBB.. and a crow landies and gentlemen!! gently caress thes hibby i quit you all suck, rear end. Yea I am drukk so what mothrfucke.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Gunky Junket posted:

Viridiant, really? We're just asking for a repeat the incident, last Summer, if you don't start elaborating further. You know the noobs are useless as gently caress, they'll use treated pine again, and old Mrs. McGillicutty is going to have another tearful mental breakdown if she's gotta go out documenting the mass of dead bird carcasses due to TOXIC loving TREATED PINE BEING USED!! Christ Alfknmighty!

JFC do I have to use a loving CHECKLIST before I make a post here now??

This forum is worthless. If we don't get some more detailed guidelines up for the newbies to read I'm Flying South to a better forum and I mean it this time.

You people aren't fit to feed pigeons, LMAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Here's the thing. You said a "jackdaw is a crow."

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who is a scientist who studies crows, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls jackdaws crows. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.

If you're saying "crow family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of Corvidae, which includes things from nutcrackers to blue jays to ravens.

So your reasoning for calling a jackdaw a crow is because random people "call the black ones crows?" Let's get grackles and blackbirds in there, then, too.

Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A jackdaw is a jackdaw and a member of the crow family. But that's not what you said. You said a jackdaw is a crow, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the crow family crows, which means you'd call blue jays, ravens, and other birds crows, too. Which you said you don't.

It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

• Locked thread