Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
May you join Circuit City or Blockbuster in bankruptcy or wither away into irrelevancy like K-Mart.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2702215-gamestop-a-value-trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
seeking alpha? heh, good luck at a video game store :smug:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My main question is what people go to Gamestop if you can just order the stuff online

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

amuayse posted:

My main question is what people go to Gamestop if you can just order the stuff online

Sell games to them for literally pennies...?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
*Assassin's Creed delayed a few months *

*Goes out of business*

Dianetics
Jun 6, 2014

amuayse posted:

If you want the game on the release date your chances are better in a store.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

amuayse posted:

I went to get Smash Bros. for the 3DS because I wanted it on launch day. Other than that I haven't had to buy anything there in the better part of a decade.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Dianetics posted:

If you want the game on the release date your chances are better in a store.

Yeah but this is 2014. You can pre-download games on modern consoles (PS4 and WiiU) and have them ready the very minute they unlock in the store.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
"Management cited a delayed release in Assassins Creed as the reason for the miss. This exemplifies GME's reliance on game sales for its livelihood."

I immediately closed the article because this person hasn't got a loving clue what they're talking about.

EDIT: ahahahh apparently he's a manager of his mom and dad's money writing babby's first financial clickbait article

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"There are two secular trends that will be huge threats to GME's business model."

but i thought their primary demographic was the 16-30 year old white male 'gamer' who subscribes to /r/athiesm

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
a financial website where literally any idiot can write whatever they want

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Value Tarps - a value trap?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Harald posted:

a financial website where literally any idiot can write whatever they want

So all finance websites?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
they'll make the money back when that open-world my little pony game comes out. gta 5 will look like a pile of poo poo next to it

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i miss going into electronics boutique and seeing a huge wall of pc games and programs in cardboard boxes with brightly colored graphics and teenagers playing pc games on the store's demo system and shouting extreme expletives whilst doing so

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
"This exemplifies GME's reliance on game sales for its livelihood."

Uhhh

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

amuayse posted:

The only people I know who don't just order stuff online or get digital downloads honestly think that Steam will one day choose to take everyone's video games away. Meanwhile they have stacks of dusty video game cartridges they can't exchange anyway because they're computer games that require access keys.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

The Royal Scrub posted:

"This exemplifies GME's reliance on game sales for its livelihood."

Uhhh

I guess if Gamestop loses preorders they can somewhat exist as a second hand used game store.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maldoror posted:

i miss going into electronics boutique and seeing a huge wall of pc games and programs in cardboard boxes with brightly colored graphics and teenagers playing pc games on the store's demo system and shouting extreme expletives whilst doing so

This. Going to Babbages (basically Electronics Boutique, then Gamestop) was a magical time for mas a kid. I'd go in trade my games in and get like $90 of credit and buy all sorts of awesome PC stuff like Baldurs Gate and Half Life.

Now you go to a Gamestop and they offer a loving credit card, pennies for trade ins, all sorts of add on extras and loving doritos and Mountain Dew.

As an honorable REAL TRUE GAMER I loving despise what Gamestop has done to my hobby.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i urinated into a gamstep once

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i'm close enough to a gamestop that if i chose i can walk to it instead of waiting for something to ship. I'll head over every now and then to look at cheap used games because i'm bored and have 10 dollars.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

i'm pretty sure the only reason gamestop sells used ipads and phones and poo poo is because half their business model revolves around being a pawn shop for stolen games and peripherals without any of the record keeping or security an actual pawn shop has to follow, so why not expand that to other electronics too and make a mint from desperate druggies

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

^^It's true, my local gamestop is always full of heroin addicts.

Jastiger posted:

This. Going to Babbages (basically Electronics Boutique, then Gamestop) was a magical time for mas a kid. I'd go in trade my games in and get like $90 of credit and buy all sorts of awesome PC stuff like Baldurs Gate and Half Life.

Now you go to a Gamestop and they offer a loving credit card, pennies for trade ins, all sorts of add on extras and loving doritos and Mountain Dew.

As an honorable REAL TRUE GAMER I loving despise what Gamestop has done to my hobby.

I miss Software Etc sometimes, I'm pretty sure it's just nostalgia. Gamestop would be doomed even if they had never turned evil. Why the hell would I drive 20 minutes to deal with going to a mall to buy something I can buy and download in 20 minutes without ever leaving my chair?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

amuayse posted:

I got a white PS4 for £299 from gamestop, they have some good deals. Occasionally.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bzmdfM8gjw

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gamestop got too much of a comic book store vibe. Nothing like going in there to buy a game to have the grognard at the counter scoff at your game of choice.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Tenzarin posted:

Gamestop got too much of a comic book store vibe. Nothing like going in there to buy a game to have the grognard at the counter scoff at your game of choice.

Your local GameStop still has spergs behind the counter? I thought they replaced all of them with girls cause gamers are easy.

Philadelphia
Sep 29, 2014
I use gamestop because I need a physical copy of pokemon on day one of release so I can immediately cheat at it and and receive the gratification of upsetting small children online.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hmm yase, me thinks these 'grognards' be much too uncouth my goon sires.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Good.

gently caress Gamestop.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
Last Gamestop I went to employed almost exclusively 20-something females who were moderately attractive, but also friendly and helpful.

I purchased Fire Emblem: Awakening only to discover that someone stole my 3DS.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I was going to comment on the current state of affairs concerning my local Gamestops, but then realized I haven't been in one for a couple of years now. The last time I went was to get that pre-order of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Well, gently caress 'em anyway.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

ThirdPartyView posted:

So all finance websites?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
My gamestop has two manic pixie gamer girls and the "cool black guy" and no I don't want scratch protection.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Iamblikhos posted:

I purchased Fire Emblem: Awakening only to discover that someone stole my 3DS.
it's okay, they probably went and sold it at gamestop

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

BigBoss posted:

"Management cited a delayed release in Assassins Creed as the reason for the miss. This exemplifies GME's reliance on game sales for its livelihood."

I immediately closed the article because this person hasn't got a loving clue what they're talking about.

EDIT: ahahahh apparently he's a manager of his mom and dad's money writing babby's first financial clickbait article

I got my paycheck on November 1 instead of October 31. Guess I'm bankrupt now. - the stock market

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
You guys are forgetting the most important part of this. What are 12 year olds going to do while their moms clothes shop for 3 hours!?

expecting roaming gangs of thugs in the malls unseen since the 80s

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah but this is 2014. You can pre-download games on modern consoles (PS4 and WiiU) and have them ready the very minute they unlock in the store.

*snicklers to self* they named the third xbox the xbone

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OlmanRiver posted:

expecting roaming gangs of thugs in the malls unseen since the 80s

That's already the case at The Source mall...? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You ever go to gamestop and find that girl working behind the counter, not the hot one, the other one that's still ok and all you want to do is trade in last year's madden for this year's assasins creed but 20 minutes later you're still in the store, in the employee restroom and she's feeding your rear end zelda plush figurines and telling you how she's a bigger man than you are and you just can't stop cumming?

• Locked thread