Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're over the age of 21 and you play video games please kill yourself.

You got it grown man with a children's baseball card for an avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am not much into gaming any more (except for Smash) but I buy physical because I am like 95% sure that in 10 years if my hard drive dies or my console gets stolen I am completely hosed out of all of my games.

Write down and own a physical copy of your username and password

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ramsus posted:

Write down and own a physical copy of your username and password

Lol I'm sure Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is real concerned with keeping up their activation servers for extinct consoles in 2030

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Lol I'm sure Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is real concerned with keeping up their activation servers for extinct consoles in 2030

Yo suck poop out my butt boy.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're over the age of 21 and you play baseball please kill yourself.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
if it aint funcoland, gently caress 'em

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're over the age of 21 and you play video games please kill yourself.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

holy poo poo i havent thought of that place in a decade

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think about it every time I drive past one of the multiple funcoland-turned-gamestops in my city.

As a kid I would always grab the little newspaper type publicatons they had that listed the trade in prices for pretty much every game ever. They were pretty decent prices, too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like Funcoland for nostalgia reasons but if I'm being honest it really was just about as bad as Gamestop, it was just much more rough around the edges due to the 90s game industry being relatively nascent compared to how ultra-streamlined and corporate it got in the 00s (and that's saying something because video games have always been corporate as gently caress).

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Electronics Boutique was great until they changed their return policy on PC games, so if a game ended up running like poo poo on ur PC because u didnt have a 3DFX card u would be poo poo out of luck - so after getting burned a few times because of this i just started :filez:

played urself, good riddance

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mariana Horchata posted:

Electronics Boutique was great until they changed their return policy on PC games, so if a game ended up running like poo poo on ur PC because u didnt have a 3DFX card u would be poo poo out of luck - so after getting burned a few times because of this i just started :filez:

That's why you read the system requirements u idiot. You could just take the game and make an image of it and then bam free game. Duh idiot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mariana Horchata posted:

Oddly enough :filez: is why they stopped allowing you to return PC games...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That and CD keys kind of make it hard to resell

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:allears:

Though my mom used to call them BuncoLand. Which I gotta admit was pretty clever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

gently caress, I remember buying Caeser III with my brother and being excited as gently caress to play it. Cool rear end box with this Roman dude pointing his sword. Spent like 400 hours on that game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

gently caress, I remember buying Caeser III with my brother and being excited as gently caress to play it. Cool rear end box with this Roman dude pointing his sword. Spent like 400 hours on that game.

plebes are needed

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i actually do kinda wish i could get my brother a bigass box to put under the tree as opposed to him telling me what he wants on steam and i just pay for it

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

JebanyPedal posted:

Caesar III, aka :krad: Hardmode Age of Empires/Sim City 2000 Hybrid

it was the poo poo but I was also poo poo at it

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

actually now if i recall the change in policy was around 97/98, so i definitely wasnt downloading anything on a dial-up connection at that time. it was also before PC games had the recommended sys requirements listed on the box and instead they just showed the bare minimum specs needed to install the game.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

JebanyPedal posted:

caesar III is the first game i ever played. as a kid i borrowed unbelievable amounts of roman history books and eyewitness poo poo from the local library. caesar III was bliss

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mariana Horchata posted:

actually now if i recall the change in policy was around 97/98, so i definitely wasnt downloading anything on a dial-up connection at that time. it was also before PC games had the recommended sys requirements listed on the box and instead they just showed the bare minimum specs needed to install the game.

if you bought the game, used the cd key and returned it it was basically a more annoying version of kazaa or newsgroups or w/e the gently caress we used then

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why would you buy the game and use the CD key just open the box and write that poo poo down and go home and use it. if you are dumb enough to do it in front of someone and they go 'what are you doing' just say 'i'm looking at the manual to make sure my computer can run this'

duh

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i remember going to babbages and getting good poo poo like carmageddon and blood and half-life :coal:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

why would you buy the game and use the CD key just open the box and write that poo poo down and go home and use it. if you are dumb enough to do it in front of someone and they go 'what are you doing' just say 'i'm looking at the manual to make sure my computer can run this'

duh
What? You still need a physical copy of the game to install it...

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Pretty sure I bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater at a Funco Land

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moridin920 posted:

duh

That's a bad excuse they always had the system requirements printed on the bottom of the box or the back of the box.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i remember going to babbages and getting good poo poo like carmageddon and blood and half-life :coal:

Carmageddon was a real classic

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Seeing the box for the original Diablo and not knowing what the gently caress it was but being drawn by the sinister artwork and the crazy cool gothic fantasy poo poo on the back is a pretty powerful memory.
Man that game owned.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JebanyPedal posted:

Seeing the box for the original Diablo and not knowing what the gently caress it was but being drawn by the sinister artwork and the crazy cool gothic fantasy poo poo on the back is a pretty powerful memory.
Man that game owned.

This but with Tribes 1. One of the very few games i still have the original box/disc for, even if you have to dl modded version to play nowadays.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

ZombieParts posted:

Carmageddon was a real classic

truly the greatest era of gaming

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whirlwind Jones posted:

no you download the game and then use a legit CD key to install it when it asks

JebanyPedal posted:

That's a bad excuse they always had the system requirements printed on the bottom of the box or the back of the box.

so what? if the person points that out go 'OH whaaat' and do the dumb act. it's not like there aren't a fair amount of total morons that buy things, just pretend you're one of those.

or just do some technobabble about how the manual gives you more accurate information about set up and whatever

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sono posted:

I got my paycheck on November 1 instead of October 31. Guess I'm bankrupt now. - the stock market

Seriously. "Gamestop is going to earn 5 cents less per share than we anticipated. Gotta sell all our stock! *watches as the stock drops $5.68* Hey! Blackberry is dying and everybody is saying to sell, better buy some more of its stock and watch the price go up! Wheeeeee! Playing with imaginary money is fun!"

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

if you bought the game, used the cd key and returned it it was basically a more annoying version of kazaa or newsgroups or w/e the gently caress we used then

You can still do this because gamestop just takes the disc out of the box and leaves the boxes for display like the games, and the key is usually always on the manual or inside the unsealed box, continuing the stereotype that gamestop is 100% contard

Whirlwind Jones posted:

steam, origin, uplay and/or blizzard's thing don't

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Moridin920 posted:

no you download the game and then use a legit CD key to install it when it asks

Why would you do that? Back in the days of 56k modems, you could go to the store, buy the game, install it, return it, and finish the game before you would be done downloading the thing.

gently caress, I remember trying to get one lovely 128k song off Napster was a chore.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much money and time I spent copying game manuals and copy-protections schemes at Kinkos (until they caught me and made me stop and go... to a different Kinkos) on lovely games that weren't fun and I never played?

Nothing that I am aware of will ever beat the Lenslok copy-protection that Elite for the C=64 had.

I never figured out how huge and amazing Elite was. I am ashame.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

mind the walrus posted:

That used to be a separate chain in the US you scrub, alongside Software Etc. and Babbages and Funcoland and they all got merged into the ugly ungainly blob that is Gamestop sometime in the early 00s.

I miss Software Etc. Bought my first game there, Croc for the PC because PC back in the halcyon days of the 1990s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

I miss Software Etc. Bought my first game there, Croc for the PC because PC back in the halcyon days of the 1990s.

Sup "had Croc for the PC" buddy :hf:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think Software Etc. was around pretty early - might have gotten some Commodore 64 games from there. I was playing EA Summer Games and Archon and such back in 1983, but I honestly don't remember where the hell we bought the games at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

last purchase made at software etc. was red alert 2, then it became gs

• Locked thread