Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

such husky
much jump
wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I friend of mine took this picture, I though you might like it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A birthday party for Jorge the capybara

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He seems to think everything was set up to him

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Capybara family in Rio de Janeiro

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some capy pictures I took the other day at the bicycle lane, in São Paulo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Segmentation Fox posted:

It's great to see they are just as chill and majestic in the wild as they are in captivity. Yeah, don't mind us, we're just gonna graze here and hang out on this big flat thing for a while, no biggie.

They have been living by the river for decades now (even though its probably one of most polluted rivers in the world).

The bicycle lane is relatively new, and when it was built they would avoid it and flee immediately from any bikes and humans. Some years later and they have lost all fear and now will just stand in the middle of the way and pose for pictures.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

More here http://www.boredpanda.com/squirrel-photography-russia-vadim-trunov/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

whiteyfats posted:

Requesting fat n happy amphibians, please. Desert rain frogs, if possible.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Fascinating bird, I had never heard of it.

Also, it seems very similar to the south american "ema", even in the name. I wonder if they are related. The ema is also know for sticking her head in the sand when in danger.

The ema:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rabbit Hill posted:

Neither one of my cats has any kind of reaction to their reflection in the mirror. Because of this, I feel like I'm missing out on one of the perks of cat ownership.

I had 5 cats in my life and none of then had any reaction to mirrors, and I always tried to interest then on it :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BooLoo posted:

How can you have 5 cats and not learn the golden cat rule, if you want them to be interested they never ever will be :3:

See also: Purpose made cat beds as opposed to the empty box it came in.

Yeah, I know. I still try sometimes, though.

My niece gave my cats a small toy mice that walks around on its own and I though my cats would love it. They did watch it move from afar, with worried looks. But none of then wanted to play with it. When I tried to convince then to do it, they just got scared and ran away.

For one of my cats I once bought several toys, a small mice with catnip inside, bouncing balls, small rubber insects etc. It all got completely ignored by her, even with me throwing then around.

Then she choose a toy for herself: crumpled paper balls. Is the only thing she will play with, and she never gets tired of it. Guess I cant complain, there is no cheaper toy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Science really needs to study why every animal seems to love capybaras

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wipeout posted:

They look like they'd be absolutely awesome barbecued to me :( I think my cute response is pretty broken when it comes to these guys.

Nothing wrong with that, hunting capybaras for eating is pretty common in Brazil. And yes, the meat is very good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about capybaras, I just found about a close relative of then: the patagonian mara.

They kinda look like capypara-rabbit hybrids.

EDIT: they can jump like rabbits too: http://www.arkive.org/patagonian-mara/dolichotis-patagonum/video-00.html. They are smaller, bouncing cabybaras with big ears.

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Mar 25, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Beardless posted:

I'm honestly pretty surprised that there hasn't been a Capybara inspired pokemon yet.

Capybara uses calm look!

Its super effective!

Pidgey sits on Capybara and sleeps

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
While this is kinda cute, it also makes me feel a bit uncofortable so I dont know

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ocelot found in a house backyard in Brazil

why those things never happen to me :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A boy in Amazonas, Brazil, found this fella sleeping in his couch

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A lion feeling the grass and dirt for the first time after 13 years locked in a cage in an illegal circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bK5OiSMVAU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That explains why you run into so many in Tall Grass instead of the ones you actually want :argh:.

Now you too can fill your posts with mostly-common bird pokemon.

Is... is that a Capybara without a pure zen-like calm expression? :magical:

She actually looks pretty zen for someone trying to scratch an itch with limbs too short.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eastern cougar

now considered officially extinct :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Edwardian posted:

My sweet seventeen-year-old catte died this morning. Sammich was a sneaking-up-and-pouncing mess of neuroses, and I really don't know how I am going to deal without her.

May I request pictures of sweet tabby cattes being derpy?

Im sorry for your loss.

Here is a picture of mine 17 years old lady, her last picture. She was evil and ferocious and we loved each other. She died on my arms.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bonus bird that isn't really cute, but I really want to post.

It looks like a golem or something. What bird is this?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BattleMaster posted:

Japanese zoos heavily marketed capybaras in the 60s and 70s as "the animal that loves hot springs as much as we [the Japanese people] do" and they became popular attractions. They also have some novelty as the world's biggest rodent, and they're very friendly and will happily sit still and let you scratch and rub them which makes them good for petting zoos, which are a lot more common over there than in the west.

Is funny because here in Brazil, where capybaras are pretty common, they were never associated to "hot springs" (I suppose they like it in Japan because is too cold for capybaras there) nor were never considered pets (they are much more associated with food, specially for people in the country, where capybara hunting is a tradition).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Two penguins were rescued in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Faerie Fortune posted:

Pixie is pleased with your attention, guys! So much that I decided to treat her for being such a cutie :3:

She figured out where the treats were coming from incredibly quickly.

All my cats love this poo poo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Spoeank posted:

I get enough scratches on my face and neck from not waking up early enough on the weekends for feline breakfast. I can't imagine that with a cheetah.

Domestic cats are safe because they are small. They cant hurt us much even if they try. And eventually they will attack us, out of irritation or even playing. But the worst they can do is to give us some scratches.

A cheetah is no lion but they are big enough to kill or seriously harm a human. Even if they are tamed and behave like domestic cats, they are still dangerous.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Organza Quiz posted:

Our old family cat loved my mother with all her tiny kitty heart, but she still put her in hospital for three days once after she freaked out at the vet and gave her a proper deep cat bite. Cats are safe because they love humans and don't want to kill us, so they don't bite or scratch us properly as a general rule.

Well, that's what Im talking about. Sometimes they do attack us, and they can hurt us some.

But if your family cat was your family cheetah, your mother would be dead.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Organza Quiz posted:

Plenty of tame animals are capable of killing a person, they just don't. No reason why cheetahs would be any different if we bred them into pets properly.

The reason is that they weight 30 kg instead of 3 kg. Cant you really see how a cat almost 10x bigger would be a lot more dangerous as a pet?

vaguely posted:

a house cat can kill a level 1 wizard, no sweat

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think anyone was disputing dogs being able to gently caress you up. There's plenty of stories of pit bulls, etc, tearing the poo poo out of people.

Still, is far more likely for a cat to attack its own keepers than for a dog to do the same. House cats are usually a lot more aggressive and wild than house dogs are.

I had cats all my life and was attacked by then countless times. Every cart owner occasionally will get scratches and bites. Fortunately, they are too small to do serious harm (although they can do, in extreme situations).

My point was: a house cheetah, if it behaved like a house cat, would probably be a very dangerous pet.

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

davidspackage posted:

Someone who keeps a tiger in his home is asking for a horrible death and yet it kinda seems worth it just to have a goddamn tiger chill with you on the couch and snuggle up against you. I am jealous.

Reminded me of this

quote:

There is something wild about actress Melanie Griffith's upbringing.
As this incredible series of photographs shows, while her peers were growing up, fighting with their parents and doing everything else a normal teenager does, the 14-year-old Griffith had an extra influence at home - her enormous, live-in pet lion.
Pictured in 1971 lounging by the pool, playfighting, and even in bed together, Melanie and Neil, as the hulking African big cat was known, can be seen sharing a touching bond.
Neil came to live with the family in bizarre circumstances, after they adopted him from Anton Lavey, High Priest of the Church of Satan, who was told he could no longer keep him in his small San Francisco apartment.

It was posted before, I am sure, but its always amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2787415/They-bought-zoo-Amazing-photos-young-Melanie-Griffith-mom-Tipi-Hedren-pet-lion-Neil.html

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HappyKitty posted:

My wife and I have a similar reaction whenever we see a pug. It's like, "Oh, you poor thing. It's not your fault you were made into an adorable, unhealthy monster" :smith::hf::3:

Pugs really makes me sad, so much I cant find then funny or cute. They are ugly unhealthy inadequate freaks that humans created for the sole purpose of laughing at then. Its disgusting.

Speaking of maine coons, this is Colores, she belongs to a friend:

Im not sure, but I think she has some maine coon on her, since she is huge and very fluffy. She is also old and grumpy and one of the most beautiful cats Ive ever seem.

• Locked thread