Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724056
:siren: ^ NEW THREAD ^ :siren:

Mods please change thread tag to #200

:10bux:Don't buy/sell/trade here. It's against the rules and there are threads and a subforum for that: :10bux:

:mario:What's Amiibos?:mario:
You know Skylanders and Disney Infinity? It's like that, but Nintendo. So they're lower quality, less functional and also cheaper. You know trophies in Smash Bros.? They're like those but physical.
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo

:megaman:Which can I buy and when?:megaman:

There's some degree of rarity and exclusivity with certain ones. Nintendo has said they will reprint the Fire Emblem ones.

CubsWoo posted:

Target, Amazon, and Gamestop all charge on ship. Best Buy and Toys R Us both charge/hold on order. I think Wal-Mart charges on order as well but that may depend on shipping to home vs. site-to-store or local pickup.

Also, updated as of yesterday chart for each wave, rarity, and pre-order availability:

Nintendo posted:

Some amiibo were very popular at launch, and it is possible that some amiibo in the United States, Canada and Latin America may not be available right now due to high demand and our efforts to manage shelf space during the launch period. Certain sold-out amiibo may return to these markets at a later stage. We are continually aiming to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace and there are many waves of amiibo to come. The distribution and availability of amiibo in other regions around the world may be different.

The current line of Amiibos is the Smash Bros. Line. These figures can be used for more games than just Smash Bros, the name of the line just refers to the character design or style.

The first wave or Wave 1 launched with Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pikachu, Kirby, Marth

Wave 2 is out already. Good luck finding a Pit or Captain Falcon.

Zelda, Pit, Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Little Mac

Wave 3 will be available February (NA) and January 22nd (JP).

Lucario, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser, Toon Link, Shiek, Ike, Metaknight, King Dedede, Shulk, Sonic, Mega Man

Wave 4 will is expected in April 2015 for Japan and Spring 2015 for North America. GAME in the UK is already taking pre-orders.

Charizard, Lucina, Ness, Pac-Man, Robin (male), and Wario

Amiibo exclusive to certain retailers in the US are:
Rosalina & Luma (Target)
Shulk (Gamestop)
Lucario (Toys R Us)
Meta Knight (Best Buy)

So far the unnannouced Smash characters are:

Dark Pit
Palutena
Falco
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Greninja
Zero Suit Samus
Jigglypuff
ROB
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Bowser Jr. & Koopalings
Female Robin

The Super Mario Line of Amiibos has figures which are functionally identical but have a different design.

Wave 1 is scheduled for March 20th in all regions to coincide with the launch of Mario Party 10.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Toad.

Wave 2 will probably include Rosalina, pictured in-game here and Donkey Kong, pictured in the video below. Daisy, Waluigi and Toadette are also playable characters in the game so it's possible we'll see them too.

There are also RARE SHINNIES so you can buy 4 functionally identical Mario Figurines

Gold Mario is a Walmart exclusive in the US. It is out the same day as Mario Party 10.

There will also be a Captain Toad + Toad Amiibo bundle. It's announced for Japan at least.

:yoshi:What do they do? What games use these?:yoshi:
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility/
Unlike Skylanders these can be used in multiple Nintendo series. They work out-of-the-box with Wii U gamepad and NEW 3DS. They require a special adapter on 2DS, 3DS, 3DSXL, and 3DSLL devices. This adapter isn't out yet.

Current Games that will support Amiibo eventually:
Wii U:
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Mario Party 10
  • Star Fox for Wii U
Nintendo 3DS:
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy Plus
  • One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X
  • Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

With Smash Bros. the figure saves data for a CPU controlled fighter. You can level the thing up and fight with it or against it. You can bring it to a friend's house and your Marth can battle their Pikachu. This would be really cool if I was like 5-14. You can teach them to taunt after a kill and to farm masterballs for Mew and pick up CDs.

Smash Bros Wiki posted:

amiibo, when scanned by the console, allows the character represented by the figurines to be used in-game; the character can be modified by players with character customization options available in the game, and their stats can be modified further by "feeding" equipment to them. After this, they can be used as a specialized computer player, with the tag "FP" above them. If they are used as CPU fighters, figurines start at level 1 like regular CPU players, but as they fight more often, they can continue to level up, to a cap of 50. As they gain levels, amiibo can potentially "learn" techniques from other characters; if a player frequently uses long-ranged, camping techniques, then the amiibo will also begin to emulate this behavior. In addition, amiibo can gain improved fighting statistics, such as improved damage, knockback, and reaction times, the higher its level is. Finally, higher-levelled amiibo can adapt to individual matches faster than lower-levelled amiibo; if an opponent takes on an aggressive, rush-down style against an amiibo in one match, for instance, it will begin to make more use of defensive techniques like spot dodges and rolls.
amiibo can be used on any copy of the game, and the character on the amiibo is tied to the figurine, allowing for players to use its customized moveset and fighting style wherever they desire.
While Super Smash Bros. for Wii U natively supports amiibo, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS currently does not do so, though Nintendo has confirmed a patch will eventually be released as to allow for such compatibility, provided the user also has the appropriate hardware, as noted above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3c_JDDp99k
loving poo poo I can't watch this

With Mario Kart 8 you get special hats for your Miis. This is the only way to drive the Blue Falcon as Captain Falcon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUqVHnMawQ

With Hyrule Warriors Link unlucks this weapon. Zelda gives you a random level 3 weapon once a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0dLxPvyN88

Kelp Plankton posted:

jivjov posted:

The Sheik amiibo functions just like Link and Zelda's; there's a character specific soundbyte instead of the item jingle and you get a nice high-starred harp for her.

Toon Link seems to function exactly like normal Link; there's no unique soundbyte (you get the normal Link one) and I just got a Triforce Spinner from him. I wonder if they'll patch that into unlocking things for Young Link once the MM DLC hits?

EDIT: I just tested to see if you could scan both Toon Link and regular Link in the same session, and yes you can. Same hiyaaa clip, same high-starred weapon for Link.
Toon Link can also unlock the Spinner weapon for Link to use if you don't have normal Link for it.

With the One Piece game on 3DS:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here are some additional Amiibo costumes from the upcoming (JP-only for now) One Piece 3DS game:

In Code Name S.T.E.A.M. on the 3DS you can summon Fire Emblem characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XJXmZwZdb8

In Mario Party 10 you can play a special mode with special boards. Each character has a special trait and token. When playing as an Amiibo your game character is a big static Amiibo rather than an animated character. It won't support all of the Smash Bros. Amiibo but it will work with Wario and Donkey Kong in addition to the ones that are also seeing Super Mario line versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mnF9clUFM

In Captain Toad you can play find-the-pixel-Toad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XIkAwF2-sk

In Ace Combat on the 3DS you can skin your planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6jY6rHuhk

In Star Fox for the Wii U.... Something happens.

quote:

Miyamoto also stated that the game is planned to feature a form of Amiibo integration, though he did not elaborate any further.

In Kirby and the Rainbow Curse you can dress as Deedeedee or Meta Knight which comes with a special ability. See 50 seconds into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtLxjnBX2I&t=50s

In Yoshi's Wooly World... Yoshi happens.

quote:

It appears that Yoshi is currently the sole amiibo currently supported in his 2015 game, Yoshi's Woolly World.

In Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS you can get tokens, otherwise from Streetpass, which can be spent on a Monster Viewer.

ign posted:

According to the official Twitter account, players will be able to plop down a Shulk Amiibo on the New 3DS and earn in-game tokens. In a similar vein, StreetPass can also be utilised in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D to unlock tokens, which can then be spent to unlock music and new character models.

:laugh:I heard people on the internet were mad about them. What's that about?:laugh:
Prototypes for the figures were originally shown at PAX and E3. These figures had better paint jobs, straight swords, and metal supports. The figure collecting crowd and folks who would never open the packages got pretty miffed about it. Here are some comparisons with the prototypes on the left and the finals on the right.

You know someone got very upset about this.

So do you think these are stupid or are you going to buy two of every single one?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

tithin posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
This post is probably going to be just atrocious Amiibos when I feel like actually editing it and not just dumping quotes into it.

Agrias120 posted:

Presented without comment.

CJacobs posted:

I've got good news for you:

CJacobs posted:

I'm gonna get you, Kirby

Waltzing Along posted:

Most of the customs I see aren't particularly interesting. But this one:

Wow.

Theta Zero posted:

Wait until you see what you get when you scan it with Mario Kart 8.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/edjka3/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Shampy posted:

So yesterday morning I went to a couple stores down here in the South Florida area looking for amiibos. At a TRU in Pines 20 minutes after they opened, I noticed a Sonic on hold behind the counter with a note saying "FOR KEVIN'S AUTISTIC SON". Angry that some rear end in a top hat put one of these on hold, I left home to wait for my Majora's Mask LE New 3DS to arrive via UPS. Well today after lunch my girlfriend and I went by TRU to see what was going on. You know, JUST IN CASE. Sonic was still on hold! I know by prior experience that TRU can only have an item on hold for 24 hours so I had her go in to the store (she was still in the car) and say she was Kevin's wife and was here to pick up Sonic. It was a success. I got my Sonic and some rear end in a top hat learned his lesson to pick up his toys on hold within the allocated time given by TRU.

darkwolf220 posted:

Super Rare:
Villager
Marth
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
King Dedede (likely)

Rare:
Captain Falcon
Pit
Rosalina and Luma
Meta Knight (might be super rare, we will see after release)
Lucario
Shulk (same deal as Meta Knight)
Sheik
Ike (likely)
Fox (Not originally, but now)

Uncommon:
Diddy Kong
Samus
Toon Link
Mega Man (likely, maybe rarer)
Sonic ( " " )

Common:
Bowser
Link (might jump to rarer if discontinued rumors are true)
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Super Common:
Mario
Kirby
Zelda
Peach
Pikachu

Bonus Wave 4 projections

Charizard - Common
Wario - Common
Pacman - Uncommon
Robin - Rare
Lucina - Rare
Ness - Super Rare

Oh hey, Hori is releasing an Amiibo carrying case:

Heran Bago posted:

You can... put Amiibos in it?

There's a runway that zip out and you can... put Amiibos on it?

jivjov posted:

Trigger warning, Kotaku link, but this is kinda interesting: People are capable of spoofing amiibo that don't exist yet.

Looper posted:

I'm going to put my amiibo's chip into my watch and make yugioh poses before dramatically summoning my eternal pal King Dedede to my side

Gutcruncher posted:

I will buy a Luigi Amiibo then break Luigi off the pedestal and glue my Waluigi figure on in its place. Ingame I will name it Waluigi and give it the purple costume.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I ended up buying a bunch of Amiibos with this game. I was at GameStop picking up my preorder and the guy told me what Amiibos they had in stock, and I basically mimicked Elaine buying the case of sponges on Seinfeld.

Now I have 8 Amiibos, all unopened because I plan on building a shelf for them before I open them, and I intend to buy more at a later date.

I regret nothing. :spergin:

chaosbreather posted:

gently caress now look what happened nintendo

look what you made me do on launch morning today

jivjov posted:

Yeah...they're only 12 bucks a figure...but I have 18 of them already with another 11 preordered and 6 I know I'm gonna get...it all adds up.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 16, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think their implementation in the games is poorly done but love collecting stupid poo poo from my childhood.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't wait for wave 3.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is that really what Marth looks like? I got Link and I think the detail is pretty great, however upon seeing the metal supports they look so much better.

Someone claimed to have gotten a Samus Amiibo with 2 cannons, didn't see anyone selling them on ebay though so it's either extremely rare or a hoax.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I can't wait for wave 3.

Same. When's Robin though

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Is that really what Marth looks like? I got Link and I think the detail is pretty great, however upon seeing the metal supports they look so much better.

Someone claimed to have gotten a Samus Amiibo with 2 cannons, didn't see anyone selling them on ebay though so it's either extremely rare or a hoax.

Apparently the quality isn't consistent either. Some kirbys look great while some have messed up eyes because they weren't printed quite right. Not all Marths and Links have bent floppy swords, but it sounds like most do. I don't care so much about that stuff, I'm just waiting to hear about storage chips not working or Wii U gamepads not recognizing new Amiibos. Figure or Warhammer enthusiasts can always repaint it if that's the only problem.

Here's another Marth:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Also be aware that there are a few amiibo figures that will be retailer exclusive with wave 3. Meta Knight is exclusive to Best Buy, Shulk is exclusive to Gamestop, Lucario is exclusive to Toys-R-Us. The Rosalina and Luma amiibo is also exclusive but they haven't revealed where yet.

They are a lot heavier than I thought. It will be interesting to see if they end up actually doing something beyond "that's kinda cool". I'll probably end up with more of these things than I need, but eh, I could apply the same logic to all of the video games I've bought.

I am actually super excited for Duck Hunt and Wario figures. And I hope Game & Watch is just a 2d figure on a base.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Like any toy, just look at it inside the package before buying it and you won't get one of the weird ones. The messed up stuff like Kirbys with dented heads or Marths with weird faces are not every figure, those are just ones where people screwed up but not badly enough for children to not buy them.

I don't have a Wii U yet, but once I get one and Smash Bros I'll probably end up getting a few of these. Pit, Dedede, Kirby, Captain Falcon, Mega Man, and maybe Little Mac.

Apparently Villager and Wii Fit Trainer (and maybe Marth?) were shipped in shorter supply than the others, but aren't selling very well either. So there's a weird thing going on where some people will pay double for one of them online right now but they're all over the shelves in toy stores and target and wal-mart and stuff.

And for clarification on Hyrule Warriors:

- Link: One-time use, unlocks the Spinner weapon for Link
- Zelda: Once-per-day use, grants a 3 star or higher weapon.
- All other Amiibos: Once-per-day use, grants a 3 star or lower weapon.

It's a little weird so I can see why people are kind of confused about what's going on there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Good to know, especially about what Hyrule Warriors actually uses. I'll add that to the OP.

Word is the One Suit Samus Amiibos are actually well done. I would expect the ones with very simple paint jobs like Wii Fit Trainer to be alright too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Heran Bago posted:

So do you think these are stupid or are you going to buy two of every single one?

I feel like this is a curious combination of two missed opportunities: Nintendo passing up a chance for an official partnership with Activision for Skylanders, as well as the chance to call it "Amiigo" whichi s a better name that makes more sense.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Heran Bago posted:

Apparently the quality isn't consistent either. Some kirbys look great while some have messed up eyes because they weren't printed quite right. Not all Marths and Links have bent floppy swords, but it sounds like most do. I don't care so much about that stuff, I'm just waiting to hear about storage chips not working or Wii U gamepads not recognizing new Amiibos. Figure or Warhammer enthusiasts can always repaint it if that's the only problem.

Here's another Marth:

I am a bit of a figure collector, I don't have a WiiU or really want one. (There are 3 or maybe 4 games that look really good though, possibly some day) However I was kind of excited for a few of the figurines, they looked super cool and I was hoping a Ness or Lucas. Luigi and Zelda look nice if they turn out well. The lower quality, while not unexpected, could be a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

I hate the idea of actually using them for games, so I am pretty on the fence about buying them at all.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I'm definitely going to buy the Mega man. I love his smash bros design. I'm not sure if I will bother with the others. Their usefulness in games seems kinda limited/boring to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's a nice OP but you conveniently left out the part where Amiibo backwards = Obama.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The ingame uses are really underwhelming but I'm happy I have cool looking nintendo statues on my desk now. Samus looks metallic too, it's got some neat touches.

That's a nice OP but you conveniently left out the part where Amiibo backwards = Obama.
:tinfoil:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Remember that Nintendo really wants to handle these as toys, not collector figures. The packing comes with a cardboard bit AND a foil sticker under the base of the figure so there is no way to use them while they are still in the box.

This really ain't meant for the MINT CONDITION crowd.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
amiibos are an important part of my retirement plans and go great with my Pokemon cards and hoarded copies of Earthbound for SNES, thanks Nintendo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow so Nintendo actually went the cheap route with these?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

draw your own conclusions

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They are 13 bucks a pop. I can't possibly see what you are expecting at that price point. With what people were saying about the things being cheap and flimsy I was actually surprised on how well built they are for that price. They are pretty heavy, too. I got exactly what I paid for.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If the figures are that shoddy, won't it be more convenient to tear them off and carry around your new Nintendo pogs in your pocket? That way you won't have a huge thing sticking out of your tablet either.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

If the figures are that shoddy, won't it be more convenient to tear them off and carry around your new Nintendo pogs in your pocket? That way you won't have a huge thing sticking out of your tablet either.

You just touch it to your gamepad or 3ds, you don't have to play it with the thing sitting there.

Also :downs: Dedede will always be cooler that a Dedede pog.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The quality is wildly inconsistent for these things. I got Link, Yoshi and Kirby and I had to spend a few minutes to find ones of each that weren't dented, chipped or had paint issues. Who knew that it could be so difficult to mold a Kirby figure.

They're still pretty charming and I want to buy more even though I know I shouldn't.:unsmith:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 24, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Amiibos I will go out of my way to buy almost no questions asked:

-Mega Man
-Ness
-Olimar
-Lady Robin
-Duck Hunt Dog

Of these I've only seen Mega Man in Wave 3. Get the gently caress on it Nintendo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Duck Hunt Duo and ROB are day 1 buys for me because I am a childe

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I will probably buy a Shulk Amiibo when it comes out. Wondering if it's worthwhile to preorder the thing cause of it's Gamestop exclusivity.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nintendo, stop pretending anyone besides Sakamoto likes Other M. Release a figurine based on Samus' suit in Prime.

I'm still not going to buy them, since I don't want my house filled with gaming tat, and they're just a more expensive version of DLC. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a Skylanders clone in the works where the figurines are essential rather than just giving a bonus.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I find that reports of cheapness vastly overblown, my Marth and Link awiiaboos don't look like the prototypes, but they're not as bad as those pictures make them out to be. They make baller desktop standees.

Marth is kicking my rear end too. My friend and I raised him to level 50 the first night and I fed him no-flinch smashing equipment and now he's loving unstoppable.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

That loving Sned posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a Skylanders clone in the works where the figurines are essential rather than just giving a bonus.

This is Nintendo we're talking about.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Wild Knight posted:

Marth is kicking my rear end too. My friend and I raised him to level 50 the first night and I fed him no-flinch smashing equipment and now he's loving unstoppable.

Yeah, now we can take him online and... oh we can't.

Okay well let's let him try solo mode or crazy orders. Can't do that either?

All-Star mode?

Stadium games?

Cruel Smash?

Uhhhh hey friend I know in real life do you want to play against my cookie-cutter AI statue whose personality and strengths differ in no appreciable way from anyone else with the same stupid toy? You are leaving.

Enjoy my fourteen united states dollars Nintendo!!!!!!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Uhhhh hey friend I know in real life

Unlikely.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

matrix ripoff posted:

This is Nintendo we're talking about.

They're just going to do the same thing Nintendo has done with almost all of their peripherals, hype for months, have a few games support them, and never mention them again.

I don't expect Nintendo to remember they exist in a year, unless they've made a massive company wide mandate that all new games need Amiibo support

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
I like looking at my Animal Crossing guy and imagining myself having the ganbarre spirit that he brings with him everywhere he goes. Thank you for reading.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just wanted a Marth figure to put on my desk.

That I can occasionally show his stupid robot brain how much better my smart human brain is is a bonus.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I'm pretty sure I saw better quality figurines than this for less than five bucks when I was in Japan last year.

Anyway, anyone know if it's going to be possible to hack the NFC chips these things come with, could make for some fun memory-editing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've read just insane poo poo on reddit about specific behaviors in the AI, methods of teaching it to do certain poo poo, but it sounds laughable and I'm willing to bet it's just random fluctuating AI. Currently have a DK amiibo, wondering how I can teach it to expand dong

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blister posted:

They're just going to do the same thing Nintendo has done with almost all of their peripherals, hype for months, have a few games support them, and never mention them again.

I don't expect Nintendo to remember they exist in a year, unless they've made a massive company wide mandate that all new games need Amiibo support

At least the e-reader had cool new stages for Super Mario Bros. 3, even if most of them were never released outside of Japan, and none of them were released in Europe.

They also had Animal Crossing cards which made certain characters move to your village, and give you items and patterns, but I just looked up the patterns online and copied them.

This was back when mentioning Animal Crossing on Nintendo of Europe's forums would get the thread closed, so I'm glad my store had a US copy and action replay to save me a few years of waiting. Got some great NES games with it too, I played them so much that NES Remix has been a complete breeze.

Anyway, they need to release some Amiibos of the more forgotten Nintendo characters, like Stanley the Bugman, Urban Champion, and Captain Rainbow.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Any company worth its poo poo would have skipped this half-assed implementation and instead built the ultimate Pokemon game around it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
That Marth face is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I have to admit i love these things more than i thought i would. I got a Kirby instead of the strategy guide when i was at gamestop and now i'm addicted to leveling the little buggers up.

At level 50 with the combined playstyles of both my brother and me AND built as a Offense/Defense tank we have problems beating him consistantly now.

So we got some more (Link,Donkey Kong,Fox, and Pikachu) they are coming along slower since there's more of them to train up at once

We can't give each one the special love and attention they deserve :(

Does anybody know what happens if you have Amiibos JUST learn off each other from day one? It'd be a neat experiment to try and see how they turn out.

• Locked thread