Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving poo poo I just want a villager. Not a single brick and mortar store within 50 miles of me has them in stock. The one Target that had some listed in stock did not have any.

Can't find them online either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Revitalized posted:

Holy loving poo poo I just want a villager. Not a single brick and mortar store within 50 miles of me has them in stock. The one Target that had some listed in stock did not have any.

Can't find them online either...

Suck it internet guy!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I may or may not have just impulse bought a Wii Fit Trainer after seeing it at a Target. That's literally the first time I've seen one of those in person.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

I may or may not have just impulse bought a Wii Fit Trainer after seeing it at a Target. That's literally the first time I've seen one of those in person.

I'm glad my first pick of amiibo was a Villager. Couldn't preorder him on Amazon, but he was one of the first I grabbed at retail. Then there was my drunk-purchase of Wii Fit Trainer. Then when I heard Marth was short-packed, I went on a manhunt for him....and found a stack of 7 or 8 of him at the first store I went to.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Suck it internet guy!

I will destroy you.

With my amiibo.

Once it's back in stock.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Cant wait for the Luigi Amiibo. This guy is just the right size for the base

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's me. I'm the dumb gently caress who did the Loot Crate deal. Basically, I was hedging on short supplies at Christmas and the potential for a few cool freebies in the box making up for it. Nintendo stickers or whatever. I bought them for the kids, so even those stickers can be gold and this is going to be one hell of a christmas present.

Problem is that they've only shipped one box so far, and might, *might* have the second one here by Christmas, despite the dates they listed initially. Secondly, the various bits of kit in the box (a sticker and a wristband) are all Amiibo branded. Not Mario, not Kirby, not Yoshi, but amiibo. I can't think of a single person in the world who might give a poo poo about the Amiibo brand at this point, let alone anyone, even a five year old, who would want to wear a rubber bracelet about it. I have a sinking suspicion that the inevitable shirt that will be delivered in the third shipment (sometime in loving January) will have that nonsense word logo splashed across the front of it.

Burn.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So I got Smash Bros U. and I am considering an Amiibo because I don't have friends.

I usually play Link in this game, but the look of the piss pillar made me think maybe I ought to switch out. Suggestions for an amiibo to get instead/wait?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

So I got Smash Bros U. and I am considering an Amiibo because I don't have friends.

I usually play Link in this game, but the look of the piss pillar made me think maybe I ought to switch out. Suggestions for an amiibo to get instead/wait?
I got Kirby cause he seems the least likely to be screwed up (...well they all have a poorly covered seam along the bottom/back though), and he can become anyone in battle, and look extra adorable in the process. A friend sent me this text after beating him (with me as Kirby, not the Amiibo cause they can't go online :():

quote:

WAS DISTRACTED BY HOW CUTE DOG KIRBY IS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwaIDSMdf0Q

Almost forgot about this too:

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 2, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Disappointed that they didn't go with the metal rod up the butt route.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Link's stand isn't that bad in the flesh and you can angle him on a shelf in such a way that his legs hide it behind him. His overall build quality is pretty solid too - somewhere in between the original promo and those godawful pictures that surfaced initially. He's currently the best "value" Amiibo in the line-up too, as you can use him as an FP in Smash, he unlocks the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors and you get a driver costume in Mario Kart 8. I'd say go for it.

I have him, Yoshi, Kirby and Villager - Yoshi/Kirby are both really well-done and basically without any flaws besides the obvious seam lines. Villager is okay, but his eyes are a bit :downs: he has no MK8 costume to unlock.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I already know I will have a problem with these things, I am thinking about building a display/storage unit for the ones I already have and there's another wave coming out in like a week and ughghgh stupid plastic dolls and my urge to collect.

This is why I can't get into pokemon games, I just get too overwhelmed with all of the dumb monster I want to collect and I stop playing.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Would have bought every variation of Kirby and especially Dog Kirby...wasted opportunity Nintendo

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
The guy at work who buys 2 of every single thing Nintendo releases bought 2 of every amiibo as well. I was generally unimpressed, except by the Samus one. Samus looks pretty slick with that metallic paint job.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So is Link just looking at floor?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Echo Chamber posted:

So is Link just looking at floor?

He's looking over his shield, but angled so far forward that I thought the same thing.

There's such a thing as too dynamic a pose.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

The guy at work who buys 2 of every single thing Nintendo releases bought 2 of every amiibo as well. I was generally unimpressed, except by the Samus one. Samus looks pretty slick with that metallic paint job.

I might have a couple Nintendo themed bridges to sell laying around somewhere

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cat Machine posted:

Link's stand isn't that bad in the flesh and you can angle him on a shelf in such a way that his legs hide it behind him. His overall build quality is pretty solid too - somewhere in between the original promo and those godawful pictures that surfaced initially. He's currently the best "value" Amiibo in the line-up too, as you can use him as an FP in Smash, he unlocks the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors and you get a driver costume in Mario Kart 8. I'd say go for it.

I have him, Yoshi, Kirby and Villager - Yoshi/Kirby are both really well-done and basically without any flaws besides the obvious seam lines. Villager is okay, but his eyes are a bit :downs: he has no MK8 costume to unlock.

Alright, you made me make my mind up. I played against a friend last night and really got that good old Smash feeling I had with Melee and N64, which I didn't really have with Brawl for whatever reason. Link is just my man it seems.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
If Wario is wave 6 or 7 or something I will be so pissed

I hope hes like those gimmick soft plastic figurines that stink like hell when you squeeze them

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Anyone else's Pikachu's tail a bit "bendy" for lack of a better word?

I'm hoping it was just like that all along and not a case of the tail softening up after applied pressure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if they did smaller production runs or if amiibo are just more popular than anticipated...but of the 6 wave 2 amiibo, only Luigi is still available for preorder on Amazon. I'm really glad I got my Captain Falcon preordered ages ago.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

KingEffingFrost posted:

I bought Samus and Peach. Both are pretty decent. Kirby and Mario both looked pretty good too.

I don't want to buy more amiibos. But I have a feeling I will. Especially as they put out more characters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So most goons are waiting for the Dark Pitt Amiibo before taking the plunge right? Any word on when it's coming out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So far the unnannouced Smash characters are:

Wario
Dark Pit
Palutena
Falco
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Greninja
Robin
ZSS
Jigglypuff
ROB
Ness
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Bowser Jr.
Pac-Man
Lucina

The bolded ones are unlockables from Smash 4 3DS, Italics are the 4 of those who were default in Wii U. So there are 6 default characters that haven't gotten amiibo yet. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the 4th wave.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

According to a few distributors on Twitter, Wii Fit Trainer, Marth and Villager amiibos have been discontinued.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What the gently caress, it's been two weeks. Why would they be discontinued? Children, or mental children like me, are never going to be able to get this poo poo.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 7, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. I get that less popular characters are going to get smaller runs while mainstays like Mario, Link, and Pikachu will hang around longer...but that's absurdly quick to nuke 1/4 of the initial offering of amiibo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have a feeling that the amiibo that are discontinued will never be used in any game other than smash.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I have a feeling that the amiibo that are discontinued will never be used in any game other than smash.

fire emblem x shin megami tensei is coming

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oknope posted:

fire emblem x shin megami tensei is coming

Ike and Lucina are coming as well, and they will be used instead.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Ike and Lucina are coming as well, and they will be used instead.

pretty sure there is going to be an animal crossing hd game sometime in the future so why even discontinue the villager? plus the new 3ds will be able to use amiibos too so why not keep it for new leaf?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how cost effective it would have been for them to go a print-on-demand route for some of the more niche characters. Sell them directly from their website, do minimum size print runs at a time, and only mass produce and distribute to retail the characters most likely to actually sell in volume.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought a Pikachu. He looks alright. Put him in the game and fought him. How do I teach him the ways of Bushido?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Would really love to get a Captain Falcon amiibo but he has a rod going up his butt so that pretty much ruins him.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Would really love to get a Captain Falcon amiibo but he has a rod going up his butt so that pretty much ruins him.

Would you say that's better or worse off than frozen piss column Link?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I don't see how this could be anything but a positive factor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, I get what they're going for with the parity between Smash 4 render and amiibo pose...but they really should have just picked sturdier poses for the little figurines that are gonna get manhandled by small children and neurotic collectors. I know that it's most likely because the decision to make amiibo identical to renders came later on in development...but still

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

You know the real Captain Falcon has a rod up his butt too. In his car, he clenches his butt cheeks on the rod to control boost power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I just made a big dumb post about this in probably the wrong topic. But if they're discontinued that's entirely reasonable at this point. Nintendo under-ordered and supply was also hosed with by rumors of 'super rare Amiibos', so you currently have tons of scalpers sitting on piles of 20 Villagers and 20 Marths they're planning to take the better part of a year to sell off at 500% profit.

Nintendo flat-out can not make more of Villager / Marth / Wii Fit without finishing out Wave 2 (which shipped in Japan, and is supposedly shipping to NA on the 12th/14th) and Wave 3 which will likely take the latter half of December and all of January to finish production due to how many Amiibos it contains.

Expect to see more Marths when Lucina / Robin launch as a 'reprint' because they still have the moulds for production which is a sunk cost, Wii Fit will probably be used to round out a Wave of Amiibo with an odd number to 6 / 8 / 10 etc. and Villager reprints (potentially an Isabelle Amiibo), both when they get a chance to, since it's a popular franchise they undersupplied for. And when they launch a wave alongside a new Animal Crossing Wii game

e: Still, watch for any last straggler shipment of Wii Fit, Villager, Marth, or whatever's rare in your country like Yoshi / Kirby with the Wave 2 shipment just before Christmas.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread