Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think you cut off supply for a few so next wave people say "Well poo poo better get it while I can"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Heads up, BestBuy.com is taking preorders on Wave 3 amiibo, if you want to go ahead and lock in any of those. And yes, that includes Meta Knight.

EDIT: Speaking of retailer exclusives, according to Toys R Us' website, preorders on Lucario have already sold out.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 7, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lol people believing that dude on twitter saying those 3 are discontinued. Nintendo World is already getting more in and when the twitter handle got asked for a source "just trust us we talked to nintendo."

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lol people believing that dude on twitter saying those 3 are discontinued. Nintendo World is already getting more in and when the twitter handle got asked for a source "just trust us we talked to nintendo."

Agreed

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
How are we supposed to know which amiibos are going to be rare? My collectomania is kicking in. :saddowns:

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Zwingley posted:

How are we supposed to know which amiibos are going to be rare? My collectomania is kicking in. :saddowns:

Newcomers, third-party characters, store exclusives, Fire Emblem characters, and Ness. Jump on those and you should be fine.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

#Believeit

There's the source of the claims.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ugh, there are no Villager amiibos in any stores anywhere near me :negative: I checked Target, Walmart, GameStop, Toys R Us and Best Buy and all of them are out. There are a few Wii Fit Trainers around, thankfully. But nooooooo Villager why????

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I have Peach, Mario, Marth, and Fit Trainer... I want a few more but the next one I want is no where to be seen (curse you Villager! :argh: )

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I got a Villager at Nintendo World. His name is Killager and I love him very much.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I feel bad I didn't grab the extra Villager figures I saw last week when I went to Target to pick mine up. Not to resell on ebay, I would have gladly shipped them to goons for cost. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

#Believeit

There's the source of the claims.

And here's the rebuttal from someone at Nintendo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wasn't it at one point briefly bannable to mention this incredible short film by name?

I'm...so...BOARD!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

I got a Villager at Nintendo World. His name is Killager and I love him very much.

You stole my name! I already have The Killager

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't it at one point briefly bannable to mention this incredible short film by name?

I'm...so...BOARD!

I'M HAVING A VERY GOOD TIME

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm greatly amused that VideoGamesPlus is still sticking to their guns "Oh yeah, the dude we talked to when we tried to order is totally infallible and the official responses from Nintendo must just be from people who haven't gotten the updated information yet." This has gone beyond misreporting and is into scare tactics at this point.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

jivjov posted:

I'm greatly amused that VideoGamesPlus is still sticking to their guns "Oh yeah, the dude we talked to when we tried to order is totally infallible and the official responses from Nintendo must just be from people who haven't gotten the updated information yet." This has gone beyond misreporting and is into scare tactics at this point.

Was anyone scared?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Worldwide Panther posted:

Was anyone scared?

Doubtful. Most people latched on to the fact that this is just some random Canadian retailer trying to pass off one stocking rep's word as company gospel.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I have been doubtful that they were discontinued, however I am disconcerted because I can't find those three amiibos anywhere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davinci posted:

I have been doubtful that they were discontinued, however I am disconcerted because I can't find those three amiibos anywhere.

Its gotta be just a combination of smaller runs on the non-core characters plus the general murmuring that certain ones are rarer (and thus more valuable on the secondary market). Before this discontinuation rumor, I was hearing that WFT and Villager were short-packed anyway.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
1 in 10000 amiibos is a shiny

my source

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
can we expect to see limited editions of these in the future more similar to the E3 prototypes?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's Kirby I can't find anywhere in the UK. All I can find is Samus and DK. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ropa posted:

can we expect to see limited editions of these in the future more similar to the E3 prototypes?

I would expect colour variations in the future.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Has a release date for Wave 2 in the states been announced yet by the way? Kinda absurd we haven't heard anything on it as far as I know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has a release date for Wave 2 in the states been announced yet by the way? Kinda absurd we haven't heard anything on it as far as I know.

Next Sunday, I think.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just have one Amiibo so far. I got Link for the Spinner. It's pretty rad, and he keeps spitting out stupid powerful weapons for me every day.

I just put in a pre-order for the Shulk Amiibo because I just remembered that was a thing, and I want Shulk. If they release the female Villager and female Robin, I might get those too. If they release an Isabelle Amiibo, I would buy that so fast it would make their heads spin!

I like the Killager idea.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

All of my named amiibo's are pretty plain. Villager I just named after my AC:NL villager, I called Samus Master Chief and made it green, and Kirby is yellow and named Keeby.

Getting luigi when that releases and trying to think of a name to fit that old Japanese Mario movie that one of the colors was based on.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All of my named amiibo's are pretty plain. Villager I just named after my AC:NL villager, I called Samus Master Chief and made it green, and Kirby is yellow and named Keeby.

Getting luigi when that releases and trying to think of a name to fit that old Japanese Mario movie that one of the colors was based on.

Why his name is Luigi Mario c'mon

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Edit: ^^^ GOD DAMNIT

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Everyone knows their full names are Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

This is so bad. It reminds me of the :krad: VHS tapes you got a few times with a Nintendo Power subscription yet unbelievably and inexplicably worse.

I picked up a couple with my son at Toys R Us and the videogame-area-clerk-person preemptively checked in to regale us with tales of people fighting over the Marth one. Dude had seen some poo poo.

Edit: Not sure how well these are going to do for Nintendo. From a 5 year old's perspective he likes that he has a Mario and a Pikachu toy but compared to Skylanders or Disney Infinity he was pretty underwhelmed when it came to what they actually did. He (and I to be honest) was under the impression that in Smash for example you could put them on and they'd come fight with you for some period of time like the items that spawn in a helper. But yeah, not so much. Costumes in Mario Kart are cool I guess!

orphean fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 8, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

orphean posted:

This is so bad. It reminds me of the :krad: VHS tapes you got a few times with a Nintendo Power subscription yet unbelievably and inexplicably worse.

I picked up a couple with my son at Toys R Us and the videogame-area-clerk-person preemptively checked in to regale us with tales of people fighting over the Marth one. Dude had seen some poo poo.

I hope some of the more obscure characters end up in kids hands, it'd be nice for a new generation to have R.O.B or Ness as their favorite character :3:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I named Samus "the baby."

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
My Marth is named "Awiiaboo." I thought it was clever.

(My Link is the slightly-less-clever Aliinkbo. I'm pretty sure any further ones I get will follow this convention.)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i named my kirby amiibo Friend, because thats what he is

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I named mine Lonk, Carby and Meryo. They are my pals. They beat me in Smash like my real person pals do.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I saw some Wave 2 amiibos at an FYE in central New Jersey. They had Mac, Zelda, and Diddy. I bought Little Mac because I'm guessing it's the one most likely to be in a shortage before Christmas. I'll wait for a deal for the rest of the wave.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Echo Chamber posted:

I saw some Wave 2 amiibos at an FYE in central New Jersey. They had Mac, Zelda, and Diddy. I bought Little Mac because I'm guessing it's the one most likely to be in a shortage before Christmas. I'll wait for a deal for the rest of the wave.

I have a feeling Captain Falcon will be a tiny bit more rare from Wave 2, but out of those 3 most certainly Mac.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

And here's the rebuttal from someone at Nintendo

On the other hand:

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/amiibo-discontinued/

Then again the author merely says they spoke with someone at Nintendo, and I really really want to believe that the Nintendo rebuttal is the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I know some people are pissed about this, but it kinda just makes sense if you're Nintendo. You artificially constrain the supply of a few of the first run Amiibos, and then when the next wave comes out all us nerds think, "Oh poo poo, I'd better get all these ones as fast as I can or they might be gone!".

Dastardly.

I'm just going to pick up the ones I want and not bother with any of the others. I already have Samus and Link, and I believe I'll getting a DK, Kirby, Mario, and Yoshi for Christmas. I don't even have Smash... I just like them.

• Locked thread