Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sigmar ladies are the most boring team because of lack of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle
Boy it's really hard to recover from the inevitable first round loss where your brand new leader and 3 of your crew get devastating permanent injuries, are out of commission for 3 days, and you didn't make any money to buy the one spare shield in the shop to equip their replacements. Why is this game so hard to win?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Filthiest Alf posted:

Boy it's really hard to recover from the inevitable first round loss where your brand new leader and 3 of your crew get devastating permanent injuries, are out of commission for 3 days, and you didn't make any money to buy the one spare shield in the shop to equip their replacements. Why is this game so hard to win?

Welcome to Mordheim!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I came real close to winning the opening mission(didn't scout for an easy one). Love the insane difficulty and rng though.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

dogstile posted:

Sigmar ladies are the most boring team because of lack of range.

So uhh, when does the game get interesting then? As a completly newbie to Mordheim where should i start?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Filthiest Alf posted:

One of my rats took a bad fall with low hp and lost his arm. Now the clumsy little guy cant climb or use a shield. I dunno whether to fire him or keep him on the payroll as the team mascot.

Time to go visit the Clan Skryre labs and buy him a Warpstone bionic arm

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Time to go visit the Clan Skryre labs and buy him a Warpstone bionic arm

I don't suppose they said anything about things like different clans and bonuses being added at any point? It'd be nice to be able to mend my poor rat assassin with a sick nuclear powered robot arm. I wonder, if you get a mutation on a chaos guy with one arm, is there a chance it'll regrow him one of those gross axe arms in its place? With how random it is I guess nobody has probably found out yet.

Exmond posted:

So uhh, when does the game get interesting then? As a completly newbie to Mordheim where should i start?

Rats seem like the most forgiving for some reason. I've tried Sigmar and Chaos and they both seem to just fall apart to superior enemies until you run out of money, which happens surprisingly fast. I think it took me 3 losses from day 1 as Sigmar to get to the point where I just couldn't continue because I didn't have enough troops to put up a fight, and didn't have enough money to buy more, or anywhere to put them if I did because everyone was taking up hospital beds. I might be me interpreting the randomness of the dice wrong but rats seem to dodge more and dodging seems huge for survival.

Once you get over the hurdle of the first 5 or so matches it picks up some. You start getting enough resources and squad size to not have to constantly worry about how bad you got hosed by a series of bad dice rolls and your leader has a peg leg now and you're broke and everybody is off recuperating and gently caress this game reminds me of how bad the original xcom could be.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah the early game is rough and not forgiving. I don't really know what to make of the game; it's missing something. Right now it's just kind of repetitive since the AI is pretty dim but gets HP bonuses that means taking advantage of it's stupidity is the only way to win since you'll just get torn up in a fair fight.

General tips:
Skaven get a special ability, Swarm, that boosts to-hit by 10% and crit chance by 5%, if an ally is also fighting the same foe. It's a must have, since you'll want to gang up on enemies as a rule.

Maximize OP effectiveness. Use dual wielding when at 3 or 5, one handed at 4 or 6. Getting a skill at higher OP that uses OP is advised.

Ranged is generally inferior to melee, imo. They get some cute skills but people move too far in a turn and they get a big aim debuff when the foe is in combat. Having less people to abuse All Alone checks with also kind of sucks.

Stunning occurs when you crit a foe. They lose OP/SP, and eat a debuff. Disengage against a stunned foe is free. All attacks against a stunned foe will hit. Abuse this to charge them repeatedly and cycle in new dudes. Beat the everliving poo poo out of them, if you can.

Avoid missions where your group is spilt and the foe is not, since you'll just get a group rushed by their whole mob and and killed while your other groups get held up in some doorway. You also can't assign groups so any synergy you tried to make between your dudes is out the window; have fun when your two archers and mage get bumrushed by angry nuns.

Rushing forward, like in X Com, is a bad idea. It's not really a big advantage to be the first to charge in, especially if your dudes turns are spaced out enough so your vanguard gets surrounded and killed while isolated. Running forward and mashing Ambush stance is what the AI loves to do and it's really easy to exploit.

Once you outnumber the foe, you can keep them pretty neutered by abusing All Alone checks, so you can do optional objectives. They're worth doing. Looting is also worth doing, especially when looting same faction opponents.

Stats: Agility can get your dodge levels to crazy levels and makes you harder to hit in melee, and makes moving around easier. Strength is good for henchmen since you just want them to hit hard and not care if they eat poo poo as much. Toughness is a wash: taking hits means you might be crit, and that is bad, and it's skills suck, imo.

Leadership is situational. You want to avoid taking All Alone checks if you can help it since if you're taking them at all then things are potentially going bad anyways. Intelligence gives stun resistance which is loving the best thing, and it has nice skills too. Alertness is loving worthless, never level it.

Accuracy doesn't improve aim, just crit chances. Weapon/Ballistic skills raise chance to hit. I've tried crit focused builds and they suffer a lot since the chance of critting what you don't hit is generally 0%, but then again you'll always hit a stunned person so... it's a balancing act. For skaven, I get 6 weapon for Swarm and then dump the rest into crit. You can also do cute poo poo where a dude with a melee resistance draining ability like kidney blow softens up the foe for the crit boosting dudes to follow up on, but tbh the initiative system combined with scattered, random deployment zones makes that kind of specialization kind of a pain to pull of.

The best skills I can recall: the two active skills that let you dodge/parry twice, anything that drains foes OP, the leadership passive that adds 20% stun resist, vital strike/shot (one extra OP used for more crit chance), kidney blow, mighty charge. Skill Mastery is generally not worth it. You can specialize heroes in fun ways, but henchmen get so few points your just generally give them one active to abuse and two passives that help them not die.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 3, 2015

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

Filthiest Alf posted:

Re: Difficulty, see the above post. Be sure to check out the enemy warband's strength on the mission select screen. Sounds like the most recent patch has modified the range of point disparity when you see warband strengths like "normal" "difficult," etc.

Re: spare shield, you can always unequip items from your injured warriors and pass them on. No need to spend money on stuff you already have.

Edit: the patch also added a "pay all" button. It's beautiful!

Untimely Brigand fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 3, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I got this and am a big standard human. Just grabbed me a warlock. Are they even worth it?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Yea, I love a good debuffing wizard.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So at this point is it now at the same kind of milestone as Darkest Dungeon was, where the major mechanics are in place and what's left to introduce is content, or is it still a little early for that?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^ Most of the core gameplay seems to be in. There are stills some holes though.

My awesome leader just got his arms ripped off by a Rat Ogre.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Deadmeat5150 posted:

^^^^^^ Most of the core gameplay seems to be in. There are stills some holes though.
Man that's great, I've been holding off on this one for a while now but I loved the tabletop game and Warhammer in general. The recent Steam reviews seem really encouraging as well.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I played the hell out of tabletop Mordheim and so far the only things I really don't like is the lack of a Dwarven Warband and the fact that I cant get a Hochland Longrifle. Also a rapier and cool cape.

What the hell are these armbands I found for?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I played the hell out of tabletop Mordheim and so far the only things I really don't like is the lack of a Dwarven Warband and the fact that I cant get a Hochland Longrifle. Also a rapier and cool cape.

What the hell are these armbands I found for?

I want Orcs, cause i am cool and i play cool warbands.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I've been watching this game for a while and I heard there was a HUGE update yesterday. Has anyone tried it and have any thoughts on the playability of it now. I want to know if it's time to dive in or not.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 9, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I updated the game just as I ran out the door this morning for work and I can't wait to see how it's changed. I'm hoping for more customization options so I can make my pretty warband prettier.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

deathbagel posted:

I've been watching this game for a while and I heard there was a HUGE update yesterday. Has anyone tried it and have any thoughts on the playability of it now. I want to know if it's time to dive in or not.

Yeah, I bought the game a week ago and I'd say now is a good time to dive in. There was a lot of :qq: about the (fairly braindead) AI being given initiative and HP buffs before, and those are gone, replaced with better AI equipment and spell usage. It was honestly fine before, but the early game is much easier now, I imagine.

Skaven are a good first warband because they have a high base dodge rate and they're fast. Tactics are pretty simple: if your warband is spread out, gather everyone in the same place, and then fight 2v1, 3v1, 4v1, etc. For the game in general you're not really supposed to fight 1-on-1 if you can help it even if your guy has way better stats. A lot of the complaints about balance and difficulty come from people not getting this. Also, it doesn't really matter if you lose a battle/character or miss a shipment, so the only reason to min-max is pure spergery.

my effigy burns fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 10, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
We've had huge updates back to back, I am pretty stoked on this game. Just got a chance to play today, and after losing my first 3 missions, warband on the brink of destruction, rallied off two straight victories, and everything is changing. Scooped up some side objectives and got a lil wyrdstone, as soon as my (partial)shipment gets delivered, ill have some money to put skills on my leader. Also looted some hunting rifles from a Human Merc. warband I defeated, which was a huge upgrade for my archers. If you understand that this game is about background die rolls and don't get upset about misses and dodges its an awesome game!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm hoping for more customization options so I can make my pretty warband prettier.

The game will automatically customise your warband anyway - day five and this brave ratman has lost 50% of his limbs and has brain damage :black101:

vvvvv

Normal Adult Human posted:

Load times seem really long.
Yeah, it's still in Early Access, so optimisation hasn't been done yet

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Load times seem really long.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I already have it, but if I didn't this would be pretty intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XovFypFTR0

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

my effigy burns posted:

Yeah, I bought the game a week ago and I'd say now is a good time to dive in. There was a lot of :qq: about the (fairly braindead) AI being given initiative and HP buffs before, and those are gone, replaced with better AI equipment and spell usage. It was honestly fine before, but the early game is much easier now, I imagine.

Skaven are a good first warband because they have a high base dodge rate and they're fast. Tactics are pretty simple: if your warband is spread out, gather everyone in the same place, and then fight 2v1, 3v1, 4v1, etc. For the game in general you're not really supposed to fight 1-on-1 if you can help it even if your guy has way better stats. A lot of the complaints about balance and difficulty come from people not getting this. Also, it doesn't really matter if you lose a battle/character or miss a shipment, so the only reason to min-max is pure spergery.

Having a tactics/strategy game basic strategy being "Dont fight one on one, always fight 2 on 1" is a bit bland.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah the whole experience is kind of bland imo. unlike in xcom where skills add new abilities that allow different playstyles, the skills in this game just add damage or % based stuff. The weapon choices are similar; seeing foes armed with spears basically has no impact on my playstyle compared to if they had swords. It doesn't help how the interface doesn't provide any information on your enemies that let's you really gauge how much you need to give a poo poo about a 15% parry reduction or whatever.

I was honestly considering making a feedback video where I just play it a bit and complain about stuff as I come across it. This game annoys me; it's not bad but their design decisions are pretty uninspired.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah the whole experience is kind of bland imo. unlike in xcom where skills add new abilities that allow different playstyles, the skills in this game just add damage or % based stuff. The weapon choices are similar; seeing foes armed with spears basically has no impact on my playstyle compared to if they had swords. It doesn't help how the interface doesn't provide any information on your enemies that let's you really gauge how much you need to give a poo poo about a 15% parry reduction or whatever.

I was honestly considering making a feedback video where I just play it a bit and complain about stuff as I come across it. This game annoys me; it's not bad but their design decisions are pretty uninspired.

I'd say do it, the devs are definitely following and responding to what the community is saying. Spears having a chance to repel, being able to bash with shields, etc. would make the combat choices more interesting. But before they do that, something has to be done about the AI. With this last patch, the battles that were challenging and occasionally unfair are now way too easy--I rarely have more than one guy go out of action and there's never any real doubt I'm going to win.

That said, it's still a satisfying 10-15 hour experience for a new player and I haven't seen anything that really made me think the devs aren't moving it in the right direction.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spear/shield just bypasses everything with no downside.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a bunch of Mordheim over the last couple of days and I think there's a really good game in there, but it still needs some work. I started off with a Sisters warband, but they were a bit too one-dimensional as they lack ranged options. It also takes a long time to learn new spells and the starting ones are almost useless though this isn't a problem limited to the Sisters. I switched from them to an Empire warband and have been enjoying them more.

I think part of the issue is that a lot of the gimmicks/skills do not come into play until your people are like rank 3-4. The early gameplay comes across as very bland as it is rare you worry about anything other than locally outnumbering your opponents and attacking. The skills are there and they have some pretty big trade-offs like -40% chance to hit in exchange for a guaranteed stun. There are also command-style skills like giving everyone within a radius a boost to parry/dodge or giving a guy a free disengage. I feel like this stuff needs to be more front and center from the start. Maybe that's how the developers want to ease players into things, but the initial offerings come across as fairly bland. New hires tend to come in with a passive ability of some sort, but the Empire ones are unusable until that particular dude ranks up enough to get another offense point so they can attack twice. The basic Sisters got a movement bonus for picking up warpstone. Whatever.

Starting spells particularly suck, as I said. The Sisters matriarch has an ability to prevent spellcasting, but you rarely face other casters at that point. Meanwhile, the Empire warlock starts with something called blinding light which gives everyone in a radius a -5% chance to hit, etc. There's no lightning bolts, fireballs, comets, curses, or anything else interesting until you've leveled the caster up enough to earn some skill points. Until then, you're stuck with a mediocre hero or leader choice that you have to try to earn kills and complete objectives with. I haven't tried the Skaven or Possessed yet, but I'm sure they're in a similar situation.

I'll also say that while the basic missions can be pretty fun, they are just random loot-murder-fests. The story missions give the developers a chance to stretch a little. The first Empire one involves using gunpowder to blow up a Skaven-infested sewer. You have to collect the stuff and haul it into the sewers while fighting off respawning Skaven. It's also your first encounter with a rat ogre. I got really lucky when I tried to pull that thing out with a sacrificial archer; he walked up and shot it, but it winded up failing its stupidity test the next turn. I was then able to rush it and take it out with no casualties though it got plenty of damage in.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great observations and criticisms, as mentioned, I'm sure the devs would love to hear them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man I really suck at this game. Is there a map function so I can group my guys up? I couldn't see one in the controls.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Man I really suck at this game. Is there a map function so I can group my guys up? I couldn't see one in the controls.
:eng101:

SHIFT brings up a top-down view of the whole battlefield, and the active unit will have a gold pointer around its icon showing where it's facing. Left click will set a beacon at a spot on the map (up to five active) that shines up into the sky, which is useful for finding your way to warpstone clusters.

ALT tabs between buffs, stats, and resistances for that unit (as well as its opponent, in combat)

CTRL shows how the attack percentage and damage points are calculated

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thank you, knower of controls

Seriously, that's made it so much easier

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:eng101:

SHIFT brings up a top-down view of the whole battlefield, and the active unit will have a gold pointer around its icon showing where it's facing. Left click will set a beacon at a spot on the map (up to five active) that shines up into the sky, which is useful for finding your way to warpstone clusters.

ALT tabs between buffs, stats, and resistances for that unit (as well as its opponent, in combat)

CTRL shows how the attack percentage and damage points are calculated

Oh my god. I honestly thought they designed it without one to give the effect of being lost in a strange part of town. gently caress.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i cant imagine playing this game without strategic mode, i need to refer to it like 3 times per guy to orient myself and find loot.

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

i cant imagine playing this game without strategic mode, i need to refer to it like 3 times per guy to orient myself and find loot.

Try it on a new warband for a few matches. I imagine its an entirely different game from the one you've been playing. This may explain why I thought it was so brutally hard.

I was actually learning landmarks and sending my guys toward them to meet up, where they'd then be brutally ambushed one by one on their way. I can't wait to get home to try easy mode.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.

Untimely Brigand posted:

Have you been looking at the point value of the enemy warband before you do your mission? If you spend 5gp to scout another mission you may find something more doable, otherwise you'll definitely be fighting uphill if their point value is significantly higher.

Turns out i was just unaware of the strategic map function ;-)

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

captainhowdy posted:

Turns out i was just unaware of the strategic map function ;-)

It's pretty weird that it's mapped to shift, and there should definitely be a mini-map view of it since you refer to it every single turn all your guys aren't engaged in combat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really want to be able to give people some sort of attachment for the severed arm. Nail a shield to the stump or something, drat the reasons why it won't work.

I actually really like ranged. I did a mission where I was split up and my two archers started in a house overlooking the courtyard. The AI had to deal with my parry superstar guys while getting shot in the back, it was great.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I FINALLY got some spell points for my Chaos warband - Nurgle's Special Children - and chose the Acid Cone. Holy crap is that spell powerful! My leader drat near solo'd a warband of Sisters because they all ran into the same house. 3 of them went from full health to downed in the first spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mutations all seem dumb. I have yet to see something other than featureless face or The Eye. Perception checks don't matter in this game.

• Locked thread