Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
I may give this a look, I always preferred Necromunda in the tabletop games but still played a bunch of this.

All looks encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I wish this was necromunda, its fun and has tons of room to be really good but the art is really dull atm. Necromunda was much more vibrant. I never saw this on tabletop, are there some more colourful warbands/locations available ?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Spellcasters get good right? The human one starts with blinding light and i'm basically using him as another youngblood.

On that note, I figured out where the enemies spawn on the relic of Sigmar mission. By the end of it I had lost two guys, they lost 27.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
There was basically one per fantasy race if I remember correctly. Dwarves were popular and orcs too I believe.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I haven't dug too deep, but is there a way to run a campaign amongst friends? Like would we have to choose or roll for matchups and scenarios(outside the game), and use an honor system to not level up outside of matches vs each other?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Once you get rolling it can be hard to stop a charge/ambush Warband with a lot of heavy hitters. Which honestly was true in the tabletop as well. I'm doing Hard and Brutal missions now for a challenge.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Spellcasters get good right? The human one starts with blinding light and i'm basically using him as another youngblood.

On that note, I figured out where the enemies spawn on the relic of Sigmar mission. By the end of it I had lost two guys, they lost 27.

When I did that mission I lost one and killed 22, including one chaos spawn. The special character they give you for story missions is crazy good. My experience was that cultists would just spawn wherever the gently caress they wanted though. I'd have dudes just appear right in front of my warband without any sort of warning. One time I had three cultists spawn at the same spot after my youngblood had killed another. He would've been screwed, but the UI bugged out and I had to restart. :v: I have a hunch it may be a little buggy.

The one casualty was my lovely wizard as he ran into the cathedral to trigger an overwatch so that my more important dudes could run in and murder things unhurt. This, of course, crit and stunned him and then a possessed ran over and beat him to death. Luckily, he returned unhurt with all of his gear and he (finally) ranked up as a result. He received one spell point, but you need two to buy anything. New hire wizards are complete garbage. They need to be rank two at least to do anything interesting. I'm not sure I'm going to bother hiring a wizard again over another youngblood, assuming this guy bites it at some point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Safety Factor posted:

I have a hunch it may be a little buggy.

Yeah all of the guys kept spawning in one place for around 20 turns. Luthor, and two henchmen kept knocking them down as fast as they could spawn while everyone else cleared. The second guy I lost (wizard got knocked out first) was bullshitted as a reinforcement spawned in a room he'd just cleared and got ambushed from behind. I'm a little annoyed he didn't lose a leg or something though, I want a team of crippled people.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy playing the Skaven the most. Rat ogre is the best big guy and gives zero fucks about anything. Also, skaven can stack dodge or parry super easy. I got a duder with 90% dodge and nothing hits him.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dirty Frank posted:

I wish this was necromunda

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Snatch Duster posted:

I enjoy playing the Skaven the most. Rat ogre is the best big guy and gives zero fucks about anything. Also, skaven can stack dodge or parry super easy. I got a duder with 90% dodge and nothing hits him.

Chaos Mutants can get crazy good as well. My character has three mutations that all give bonuses to dodge. He's practically untouchable.

Thousand Eyes, however, precludes the wearing of armor.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Does this game not support 1280 x 1024 or higher? I've got a bigger screen than 1280 x 800 but I can't get it to go higher

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The options menu has resolutions all the way up to 3840x2160 :iiam:

Googling it found a reported bug back in June but it got patched a week later
http://forum.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1090

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not got a clue, i'll redownload then.

On a second note, I find myself alt - f4ing out at higher levels if I "ambush" an enemy cart. All this means is that i'm going to lose a guy or two in the first turn before I can do anything anyway. They really need to make the maps a little bigger so you don't get the "hah gently caress you half your team is locked down" before you get control of anyone.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah, any mission that results in your team spread out, and the enemy team stuck together, is going to result in you eating poo poo regardless of whatever narrative theyre pushing

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I feel like the optimization actually got worse this last patch. The load times had come down significantly a few patches ago, but they're back to taking forever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah, any mission that results in your team spread out, and the enemy team stuck together, is going to result in you eating poo poo regardless of whatever narrative theyre pushing

After a Warband level or two these actually become kinda easy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Do tell. For me they tend to wind up with at least one of my guys out of action before they can move, and having to fight the whole enemy squad while missing three dudes who have to waddle from the rear end end of nowhere.

One mission in particular saw my leader stuck with two henchmen at the end of a dead end street as an angry nun mosh pit descended on his position. Then he got stunned and that was pretty much the end of that.

Meanwhile, having your own forces concentrated is pure easy street. There's really no tactical advantage to be gained from splitting up.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Do tell. For me they tend to wind up with at least one of my guys out of action before they can move, and having to fight the whole enemy squad while missing three dudes who have to waddle from the rear end end of nowhere.

One mission in particular saw my leader stuck with two henchmen at the end of a dead end street as an angry nun mosh pit descended on his position. Then he got stunned and that was pretty much the end of that.

Meanwhile, having your own forces concentrated is pure easy street. There's really no tactical advantage to be gained from splitting up.

Usually what happens with the whole "split into three groups" thing is that one of my groups gets the poo poo kicked out of them and the other two are able to link up and then take on the enemies piecemeal. Having some control over unit deployment is coming in the next patch, and it's badly needed.

The game is shaping up to be a lot like Blood Bowl in that the base game isn't that good but league play with goons will be incredible.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I guess because I pump my Warband woth every agility increase I can I just get that high initiative. My Mutant is almost always first in line, moves incredibly far, and has an arm that was turned into a sword that deals ungodly damage. If I'm split up the first thing I tend to do is run him over to whoever may be vulnerable and a stick by them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually upped initiative on all my guys, with a warband level and I still find that I just get an important unit left alone and engaged/surrounded before he can move.

Its kinda ruining the game for me. They need bigger maps, failing that they may as well be going "hah gently caress you" and starting you with a smaller warband.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
With my skaven team i don't have any trouble at all spreading out. Taking Hit and Run solves a lot of those problems since I can disengage nearly for free.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

dogstile posted:

I actually upped initiative on all my guys, with a warband level and I still find that I just get an important unit left alone and engaged/surrounded before he can move.

Its kinda ruining the game for me. They need bigger maps, failing that they may as well be going "hah gently caress you" and starting you with a smaller warband.

The game is supposed to be brutal and hard. The tabletop was no different if you played by the rules. Heck with my chaos warband I had two guys killed in the first three missions I took. Like actually killed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Brutal and hard isn't really the same thing as "hahaha, you're losing squad members before you even get a turn". Its like that kid in school who starts every game by going "i'm ultra powerful so half your guys run away!". Except your guys can actually die/get effects that carry over to every other battle you do.

If the tabletop was like that i'm not surprised its one I've never seen played. Doesn't seem that fun

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Its a rough town.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

always be closing posted:

Its a rough town.

Starting to notice that

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle

dogstile posted:

Starting to notice that

I had a really similar problem at the start. The key seems to be surviving the first 5-10 brutal losses with enough guys to get your first shipment through then replacing everyone with too many injuries to salvage.

Once you get warband level 2 or 3 it swings in the other direction and actually almost becomes too easy. Having 3 hero characters with a few levels makes a world of difference, and if you didn't get your poo poo pushed in too far you might even have a few chaff guys that can take 2 swings a turn by then.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh, i'm actually pretty far in, i'm just getting tired of having to replace dudes due to them starting in lovely locations is all.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a list of reasons why this game is bad, by cryle age 11.

the lower level your warband is, the closer the players should spawn to eachother.

Units should move and act with weapons sheathed by default, because it's incredibly stupid and time consuming watching a guy put his poleaxe on his back, jump down, draw his poleaxe, move forward one sp, put his poleaxe on his back, loot animation, loot menu, draw poleaxe, wyrdstone effect animation.

When the AI is doing moves out of visibility the game should play at like 16x speed. When the ai is doing moves within visibility, the game should play at 16x speed.

Looting and running should be encouraged.

The party system is dumb. There should have X warband points. Heroes take 2, henchmen take one, impressives take 4.

Skaven should be weaker individually and have more warband points.

If nobody in your army can use an item it should show up as grey in the marketplace or just autosell at the end of a mission.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 16, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Normal Adult Human posted:

Here's a list of reasons why this game is bad, by cryle age 11.

the lower level your warband is, the closer the players should spawn to eachother.

Units should move and act with weapons sheathed by default, because it's incredibly stupid and time consuming watching a guy put his poleaxe on his back, jump down, draw his poleaxe, move forward one sp, put his poleaxe on his back, loot animation, loot menu, draw poleaxe, wyrdstone effect animation.

When the AI is doing moves out of visibility the game should play at like 16x speed. When the ai is doing moves within visibility, the game should play at 16x speed.

Looting and running should be encouraged.

The party system is dumb. There should have X warband points. Heroes take 2, henchmen take one, impressives take 4.

Skaven should be weaker individually and have more warband points.

If nobody in your army can use an item it should show up as grey in the marketplace or just autosell at the end of a mission.

Lets not forget the basic strategy for the game is "Do not engage one on one, engage on two on one or run away". It might get better once you level up your warband, but for first impressions having your strategy being the most blandest thing is pretty bad.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I didn't even know that a single dude could lose both legs. I have a mutant I renamed Stumpy. If he didn't hit 5 and get a mutation for a Slicer, he'd also have no right arm.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Exmond posted:

Lets not forget the basic strategy for the game is "Do not engage one on one, engage on two on one or run away". It might get better once you level up your warband, but for first impressions having your strategy being the most blandest thing is pretty bad.

Don't have your henchmen try and solo duders, but you can have your heros or leader do it all day long. IDK game is fun and pretty straight forward at lower difficulties. On Deadly you need to be smarter.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Are there any good videos or guides about this game? I`m having such a hard time getting the hang of it...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

ProZocK posted:

Are there any good videos or guides about this game? I`m having such a hard time getting the hang of it...

Morjax on youtube and twitter does a pretty good job.

He is the only person I have watched, but here is his latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsci2VT9EsE

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Exmond posted:

In fairness though, "creating a localized superiority of forces" is the basis of literally all tactics and strategy. Like, what's the alternative, other than having the warband with better units win every time?

I feel like the regular missions will be much better with just 1) non-optional objectives, 2) non-random deployment and 3) better AI/online play. There's lots of other stuff I want too, but I think people who imagine games like X-COM are "more tactical" are kind of bullshitting themselves. X-COM shined when you had to deal with a specific objective that put you on a countdown, but when it came to maps where you could take your time, it was just fighting them three or four at a time until they were all dead.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What's this big ol' patch I got?

quote:

Hello Everyone

We've been working extremely hard to continue development and fix Major blocking issues currently seen by players.

This patch comes in as 0.22.4.16. Please read below for a list of corrections, additions, and removals.

General

The maximum Rank for Warriors and Warbands has been increased to 6
Procedural AI Warbands will now be randomized with injuries (keep in mind only a small amount of injuries are visible on the model)
On a successful Jump Down, an Attack made right after will now deal an extra 15% Damage (for a total of 15%)
On a successful Leap, an Attack made right after will now deal an extra 15% melee Damage (for a total of 30%)
Impressive Warriors will now properly display their Impressive perks in the Warrior general information section
Adjusted the wording of the Chaos Spawn “Creation Instability” perk
Some Campaign Missions have been slightly adjusted based on Player’s feedback
Increased the Prices of Hired swords
Fixed and issue where Lad’s Got Talent would make AI generated Warbands not use Heroes properly and fill with Henchman instead
Added code to make sure all Warbands types (Mercenaries, Sisters, etc.) are faced in procedural missions to improve the variations of encounters
Deployment Selection: Players will now be able to select where they place their warriors on pre-selected locations during deployment.
This is the first iteration of the system
Warriors are placed based on the Initiative Ladder
This will never be available in Campaign Missions
For now Players will select where to deploy their Warriors even when they are scattered, eventually the choice will be removed during those specific deployments
The target numbers will now be valid instead of invalid (if the target roll is 94 and you roll 94, it will now be a success instead of a failure)
Augur will now properly be immune to the injury “Impacted Vision”
Added a failsafe to teleport warriors that could fall through the world back on the map
Smuggler's Den wyrdstone shipment selectors will repeat on mouse click
Added sound FX to traps and teleports
More optimizations and improvements on the lighting (Work in Progress)
Optimizations on the loading time (Work in Progress)
Multiple UI tweaks (Work in Progress)
Fixed issue where timer would not pause properly during a search
Fixed an issue with the Charge and Ambush (if this issue still happens, please send your logs)
Various bug fixes

Skills

Action order appearance when Cycling Q & E: we switched the order in which Consumables and Stances appear. Stances will now appear before consumables
Adjusted the description of Swift Charge and Mighty Charge to better reflect their effects
Fixed an issue where Warlock would gain Spell Points at an unwanted level

Items

Fixed an issue with the Shop where the list would not refresh properly and could cause some items to seem as if they vanished until getting out and back in the shop
Items will now sell for 35% (or so) of their Buying Price instead of 50%

Modification to the difficulty system

Increased difficulties modifier as following:
Normal: Remains as it is right now
Hard: Wounds remains at 20%, Damage bonus increases to 15%
Brutal: Wounds remains at 30%, Damage bonus increases to 25%
Deadly: Wounds remains at 40%, Damage bonus increases to 35%
Reduced rewards gathered when winning as following:
Normal: Remains as it is right now
Hard: 40%
Brutal: 45%
Deadly: 50%

AI Modifications

Fixed AI for casters to improve the choices of spellcasting or attacking
Added a “Killer Instinct” to AI who can put an enemy Out of Action with an attack
Multiple minor tweaks on AI behaviors
Fixed an issue where AI during campaign missions wouldn’t use the proper Ambush or Overwatch Stance

We hope this patch helps you get a better experience with the current state of our game. We aren't stopping and there should be more patches/updates coming up soon with more things to enjoy and new features.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
did they fix the game not knowing how many items were in a stack for the purpose of selling?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nope.

Although it is now possible to lose both legs, as Werner "Stumpy" Heinstrag learned.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Normal Adult Human posted:

did they fix the game not knowing how many items were in a stack for the purpose of selling?

The stack doesn't disappear now (although it still only sells one unit at a time no matter the size of the stack)

quote:

Items

Fixed an issue with the Shop where the list would not refresh properly and could cause some items to seem as if they vanished until getting out and back in the shop

quote:

Smuggler's Den wyrdstone shipment selectors will repeat on mouse click

Just hold the mouse button down to rapidly fill the order - no more one click per fragment :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone feel like explaining what the effects of the mental attributes do, and why they matter for henchmen in particular?

Also, is it true that the enemy warbands always match your strength, meaning i can roll with 4 units the whole campaign and never be outnumbered?

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 18, 2015

• Locked thread