Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
OK FCB. You win, enjoy your game. I'll unbookmark this thread so that I won't mar it or upset you anymore, you seem delicate good luck!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The way I see it, if the game isn't brought then GW will think "People don't want a Mordheim game" rather than actually look into why it sold poorly. So, yeah, it's been long enough that a seasonal sale on Steam will get you the game for 75% off or so, so I brought it while on sale and haven't got around to playing it yet.

So add me to your enemy list too, GC, alongside the Washington Post and Jane Fonda. :nixon:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Seriously, what a dumb thing to have a meltdown over.

When you get around to playing it, take the time to go through the tutorials, there's definitely a learning curve. 99% of the game is positioning, when it comes down to it.

Is there any info on the Necromunda game they're doing? I saw an article announcing it last month but haven't really been following it since. I always preferred that setting and if they can pull off improvements on the game here (like everyone keeps saying, it's obviously got some pretty heavy flaws) it's probably going to be worth getting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the game isn't hard. it is overly complex, and is frequently total bullshit, but i never lost a mission. and that includes the story missions which are designed to gently caress you up with cheap gotcha gimmicks.

positioning is a super easy problem. group up, guard a choke, surround, kill. the AI is relentlessly incompetent and will trickle in, so not much else is needed. the more important thing is knowing the solution to how to level your guys, so you can murder pretty much any regular enemy with two charges or whatever. early game is much harder due to lacking developed dudes.

i enjoy beating up terrible AI and pretending i'm kick rear end so that was entertaining at least. itd be interesting to see if playing against actual people would help or hurt the gameplay

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 11, 2017

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Meh, it's an okay game so far.
I've played better, I've played worse, I'm not wasting time recommending it (and if someone is dead set on buying it I'll tell them to at least wait until a sale if they want to burn their money).
But holy poo poo it is not so terrible that it deserves a dumb as hell nerd slap fight. Namaste.

In non-nerd fight discussion, yeah the AI is annoying, especially in the early game.
My reiklanders are taking names like champs, while my Sigmar ladies are getting repeatedly hosed up by vampires and ratmen (one death and two arms lost so far - and counting :black101:)
Haven't done much with witch hunters yet, so curious to see how they'll pan out.
The RNG truly is bullshit, but this is equally true for any RNG-based game I've ever played, including XCOM games, or Chaos Gate, or Final Liberation, etc etc.

That map tip is ungodly overpowered in terms of helping the player to find out where to move to kick the AI's rear end in terms of grabbing important locations and/or wyrdstone.
Otherwise the player is left blundering around blind and making assumptions and looking for landmarks. Which is both good (as in it actually makes you feel like you're in a wierd rear end corrupted city and you don't know what the gently caress) and also loving terrible (because situational awareness in a strategy game is kind of a necessary thing :v:).

Tiler Kiwi posted:

positioning is a super easy problem. group up, guard a choke, surround, kill. the AI is relentlessly incompetent and will trickle in, so not much else is needed. the more important thing is knowing the solution to how to level your guys, so you can murder pretty much any regular enemy with two charges or whatever. early game is much harder due to lacking developed dudes.

Yeah this is something I hadn't learned yet, thanks for the tip.
I'm still treating this way too much like the board game, and I totally shouldn't be.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 12, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Picked this up a bit ago on sale.

Looking to try it out tonight, seen some tips of group up and gangbang the guys down... any other tips?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The only other advice I'd give offhand is to pretty much ignore the vertical parts of the levels unless you have some really agile dudes or there's stairs - it's not worth wasting a turn to jump down and hurt yourself. Also, as effective as murderballing is, sometimes it's a really good idea to leave a 2v1 beatdown to intercept a stronger enemy unit and keep it from becoming 2v2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Picked this up a bit ago on sale.

Looking to try it out tonight, seen some tips of group up and gangbang the guys down... any other tips?

Skaven can innately move further than anyone else which makes them incredibly fun to play and great at ganging up on enemy units.

Don't build Chaos special units for ranged attacks. They have a mechanic where they get random mutations at set levels and a good chunk of those make it impossible to hold a ranged weapon (their arm turns into a sword etc).

Don't ever bother with the secondary objective that has you steal your opponent's totem and deliver it to your cart. You will always get to the point where the battle is over before you can make it back unless the map RNG is absurdly kind.

You can drop extra stuff you pick up at your cart.

Every 3 Str gets you an extra inventory slot.

As your dudes level they get more red and blue orbs. There are certain breakpoints where 2 handed or 2 weapons are better than 1 handed+shield (use the former when you have an odd number of red, the later when you have even).

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zore posted:

Skaven can innately move further than anyone else which makes them incredibly fun to play and great at ganging up on enemy units.

Don't build Chaos special units for ranged attacks. They have a mechanic where they get random mutations at set levels and a good chunk of those make it impossible to hold a ranged weapon (their arm turns into a sword etc).

Don't ever bother with the secondary objective that has you steal your opponent's totem and deliver it to your cart. You will always get to the point where the battle is over before you can make it back unless the map RNG is absurdly kind.

You can drop extra stuff you pick up at your cart.

Every 3 Str gets you an extra inventory slot.

As your dudes level they get more red and blue orbs. There are certain breakpoints where 2 handed or 2 weapons are better than 1 handed+shield (use the former when you have an odd number of red, the later when you have even).

All good tips. I played against an undead in one of my earlier maps and thank god I could attack him without others coming to his help for 4 turns.. kept failing Terror checks and 2 of my guys couldn't attack him.

I seem to be bleeding money on upkeep and training.. trying to delivery 75 kgs of wyrdstone for my objective but my money is just disappearing.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
I usually don't start training dudes until I have quite a surplus of cash. Between 700 and 1000 spare in the bank. Death comes too swiftly for such an early investment unless you're already flush.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you're going to play this game i'd just recommend that you take it for what it is and not what you want it to be.

It's better that way :(

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

dogstile posted:

If you're going to play this game i'd just recommend that you take it for what it is and not what you want it to be.

It's better that way :(

Already ahead of you on that one.

It actually seems at first that it's crazy complicated but it in actuality it plays pretty simple. Max out your damage, max out your to hit, gang beat guys down, save points for maybe a dodge/parry.

Also in sisters of sigmar tutorial, my spell caster got hit with a -99999 spell backlash... Wondering if that's supposed to happen or if the RNG gods were just like "let's show this sucker how bad our game can roll".

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also in sisters of sigmar tutorial, my spell caster got hit with a -99999 spell backlash... Wondering if that's supposed to happen or if the RNG gods were just like "let's show this sucker how bad our game can roll".

The latter.
The RNG in this game can be a real bastard.
I've had 95 to hit before, and it will still roll a 100, just because it can.

If I had to accuse a bunch of lines of code of having a sadistic bastard of a personality, it would be the RNG in this game.
Which is thematically appropriate, given the setting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think a problem with Mordheim rng is that there's so much of it permeated into the system, and very little of it can shift a battle on its own, that the game actually ends up becoming very deterministic.

For instance, let's do a little test battle, Dude Vs Guy. Dude goes first, hits 50% of the time. Guy hits 70% of the time. If you ask someone incredibly naive about probability what the chances were on which side winning, they'd probably settle on something based on the 20% difference and think that means a 20% difference in chance to win. But in practice, it doesn't work anything like that: the important factor is how many times a person needs to get hit, since the higher that is, the more and more oppressive that 20% difference becomes in who gets to win. Even knowing a bit about probability, its kind of nuts how deterministic it gets.
I ran a little thing that does 10,000 fights and gives a number. Assuming 1 hit = 1 hp...
At 1 HP, Dude wins 58.88%% of the time.
At 2 HP, Dude wins 42.39%
At 5 HP, Dude wins 25.910%
At 10 HP, Dude wins 13.74%
At around 40 HP, Dude ends up having a less than 1% chance of winning.

This isn't really a summation of Mordheim's battle system in its entirety of course, since there's also stances, damage ranges, crit chances, and a few other bits, but that's just more rng on rng: it doesn't increase randomness, it decreases it. And even if a single combatant lucks out and wins, there's still more and more rng checks going on in all the other fights and there sheer amount buries variance in outcome. Even the unexpected wins have their "snowball" factor reduced: if the lucky winner came out fit as a fiddle, that'd be one thing, but its much more likely they'll have their HP ground down to a slim margin, meaning that its impact on the probability of the outcome is lessened quite a bit. Two equally skilled players playing against each other would not break even: one side would win considerably more than the other.

So, ultimately, the rng in Mordheim totally fails in achieving the often stated ideal of rng in strategy games (adding "swingyness", "variance", making combat "realistically" random, or allowing a weaker player to sometimes beat a stronger one), and its instead a smothering factor that stacks the deck immensely towards one side: the only advantage compared to an actual rng-less and deterministic system is disguising that fact from the player.

e: Oh yeah, and if the Dude that hits first has a higher hit % than the Guy who hits second, then Guy is pretty royally screwed. It gets worse as the average % to hit gets higher: 5% v 5% is dead even, 95% v 95% is around 80% in Dude's favor. Probability is fun, I guess: I try to respect its power.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 27, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
On the other hand, for the price alot of people are paying, it's a pretty loving fun little game. Sorry to those that wanted XCOM again, but with rats.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Rats are really fun, but this game needs more buildings with multiple climbing points. Having to chase a rat up a 3 story hosed up building is a giant pain in the rear end and makes ranged characters actually fun.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got my money's worth out of this game, i just find it fun to try to break down stuff in games to try to understand them past "it was fun / it wasn't fun". mordheim hit kind of a sweet spot of mediocrity where the problems holding it back are interesting design issues rather than stuff like "its coded like poo poo and was a terrible idea to begin with".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, for the price alot of people are paying, it's a pretty loving fun little game. Sorry to those that wanted XCOM again, but with rats.

Gotta admit though, new XCOM2, but with rats, would be pretty cool.
Still, if you only buy this game on sale, it can be kinda fun for the price.
I've been having fun trying to rescue my reiklanders from being failures recently, after a short run of early game foul ups after my first attempt at the first story mission got mangled by the rat ogre.

• Locked thread