Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So am I to assume the singleplayer they talked about ended up being pretty bad/nonexistent/basically just skirmishes? I've never been a big multiplayer type person with these types of games, but an XCOMish Warhams Fantasy game didn't sound too terrible. Yet nobody is talking about it in this thread, just the multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Skirmishes and Story missions featuring your guide.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

So am I to assume the singleplayer they talked about ended up being pretty bad/nonexistent/basically just skirmishes? I've never been a big multiplayer type person with these types of games, but an XCOMish Warhams Fantasy game didn't sound too terrible. Yet nobody is talking about it in this thread, just the multiplayer.

I'm playing single player, and it's kind of odd. On the one hand, there's a ton of skills, enchantments and weapon types. On the other hand, the depth feels kind of illusory, since only a few of the skills really feel worth taking, while the rest are just incremental improvements, like +5% this or that. Weapons are different from each other, but it's all stuff like "This does more damage, but reduces your initiative" or "This bypasses X% enemy armor", so they all end up feeling the same. Item Enchantment might have helped, but you need to find a recipe for each enchantment, and they're absurdly rare. I've played the game for 35hours, and I've found 2 recipes so far.

The AI is pretty bad too, the worst is that it often gets its character's stuck, especially the super units, which are larger than everyone else. I've won a few battles because an enemy Rat Ogre/Chaos Spawn/Ogre was stuck behind a wall next to the main skirmish. Still, it does the job well enough, and puts up enough of a fight that it doesn't feel like a complete pushover.

It's not all bad, I'm enjoying building up my warband. The permanent injuries your guys pick up are annoying, but they do add personality, so you end up feeling attached to the guys. The combat can be satisfying as well, though once again it's depth is sort of illusory, since it mostly comes down too making sure you always outnumber your opponent, especially early on before you get a lot of abilities.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You really can get attached to your guys. My main ambusher, who was incredibly deadly with his daggers and ambush skills, lost a loving leg and can't ambush any more. I wanted to get rid of him at first, but honestly he's the only original Warband member left. Even my captain got replaced once (Cant be a good Leader and be Stupid). I ended up sparing him and giving him a crossbow. I don't care if he's not very good with it, he's staying on the team.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So gave in and purchased this today. I find it quite hungry on the system specs and the load times are long. Getting beyond that though I like the initial impressions, i likee that the weapons go beyond the simple damage variations or simply being 'hand weapons'.

Only run 4 or 5 encounters so far, but got creamed on the last one with most of my warbans taking 5 day injuries and may need to get a new leader.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You really can get attached to your guys. My main ambusher, who was incredibly deadly with his daggers and ambush skills, lost a loving leg and can't ambush any more. I wanted to get rid of him at first, but honestly he's the only original Warband member left. Even my captain got replaced once (Cant be a good Leader and be Stupid). I ended up sparing him and giving him a crossbow. I don't care if he's not very good with it, he's staying on the team.

Yeah, this is one of the things that does really make the game fun, my warband is missing enough limbs for a whole new person right now. Forcing Iron Man is a really good decision.

I just wish there was more variety in skills and equipment and effects of level-up, like people said. This "increase some stat by a tiny percentage" stuff makes it feel so unimpressive and kinda boring. Still having lots of fun with the single player campaign though, it's just that you can really see some clear ways how they could have made the game better when you play it. Hopefully we'll get some expansions or patches in the future. I'm hoping they add Necromancers or Middenheim as new factions next :allears:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 7, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
playing skaven vs the ai feels really silly and really puts the spotlight on where the ai is lacking. skaven vs humans feels really abusive where they dont use their range to an advantage, they just run into a wall of shurikens and ambushes over and over, but playing skaven lets me harvest all the warpstone on the map without being gangbanged somewhere else on the map.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
uhh its called wyrdstone, if it had anything to do with the warp it wouldn't be so widely used.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Slaapaav posted:

playing skaven vs the ai feels really silly and really puts the spotlight on where the ai is lacking. skaven vs humans feels really abusive where they dont use their range to an advantage, they just run into a wall of shurikens and ambushes over and over, but playing skaven lets me harvest all the warpstone on the map without being gangbanged somewhere else on the map.

Give it a few levels. Once your warband hits 5+ the lack of toughness on skaven really becomes obvious where you leaders have to be hit and run. Black skaven and your leader are still really good offensively, but the Swarm and Hit and Run passives are really worth getting.

Leveling new dudes also seems stupid hard once your warband hits rank 5. Twice now I've 'lost' (both times they got Megalomania) a sorceror to a twoshot. I just want a good sorceror without paying 1.4k gold :(.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Normal Adult Human posted:

uhh its called wyrdstone, if it had anything to do with the warp it wouldn't be so widely used.

I admit, I also call it warpstone. It's easier to remember

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My human wizard so far is just a guy who stabs people and sometimes has his head explode. Hopefully there's some actually useful spells to learn.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

ekuNNN posted:

My human wizard so far is just a guy who stabs people and sometimes has his head explode. Hopefully there's some actually useful spells to learn.

My wizard knows Lightening Bolt and Fireball. His magical counterparts can't keep up with his damage.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

On my rat team I made my leader an expert with poison damage, he has upgraded both his poison resistance bypass skill and the poison that removes the enemy's offense points when applied. He has enough offfense/strategy points to disengage, apply poison, and re-engage and still get off his 2 attacks with a weeping blade in a turn (need more offense points before I could theoretically get off three).

My rat mage on the other hand has only 1 spell, the upgraded version of Blessing of Filth which is a 1 turn buff that puts a poison effect on your weapon doing something like 20-30 damage per poison tick per stack. The rat mag also has guidance to help the rat ogre move around the map.

The ogre, mage, and leader make a trio attack squad where the rogre does area denial and the assassin just mass stacks poison on his target (with either weeping blades or wardstone pistols, whichever).

2 attacks with the assassin after buffing with both blessign of filth and the self-applied offense debuff results in about 60 poison damage and -4 offense points on top of the damage dealth from regular attacks.

It is a good combo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
on the rats i just loaded then all with that Swarm ability and whatever passives increased hit% and dodge% and had them rank up agility/weapon skill and whatever, and i didn't really have any problems with the AI. I gave a few rats some attack that increases the chance to hit a dude for others as well, and one guy with the poison that took away OP, so its pretty much all based on just ganging up on people and hitting them until they die and then just snowballing. for the leader i gave him the one skill that lets him do extra parries, which meant the AI never bothered trying to hit him despite him being a glass cannon who just spammed precise strike a bunch or whatever i gave him. mages are better used to debuff than to try to do damage, I found. i never used ambush stances or tried to do charge builds since those never seemed to work that great compared to just going for boring consistency, and ambushes were a great way to have a guy run out and eat a lot of poo poo in exchange for uhhhh doing extra damage maybe, in exchange for the opportunity costs of taking away the skills that let them hit okay, all the time, and not die, so yeah. im not really an expert at the game but it worked out against AI with no big issues, even when they had the big health bonus.

still, if the ai actually bothered focusing down the rats that actually could hurt people, that might have been an issue.

they did nerf swarm later but its still pretty good and worth having, maybe

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
This game's weird. I mean, I know it's a bad game. It has some awful design decisions, the interface is horrible (especially if you're using a controller), it's grindy and repetitive, and I constantly find myself swearing at my monitor over something the game has done (gently caress. The. Library. Teleporter mazes full of demons can eat all of the dicks). But I can't stop playing it. My little SoS warband, the Wheyfarers, with Lady Ricotta, Zola the Gorgon and Pepper Jacques, are special to me, and there's something really compelling about leading them through fight after fight, watching them get stronger as they level up, or weaker as they lose arms and eyes.

I keep trying to figure out if I would put "Recommended" in a steam review, and I genuinely don't know.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So aside from the human faction, it seems like units are really homogeneous.

Sisters and novices are basically identical, ratkin are just worse warpguards, etc

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Normal Adult Human posted:

Sisters and novices are basically identical, ratkin are just worse warpguards, etc

At low levels, yeah. At higher levels their max stat levels make a few differences, it boils down to:

Sisters have low agility and high weapon skill, so they're good for parry builds and tanking
Novices have high agility, so they're good for dodge builds and DPS (SoS need shields to parry, so you can't do parry and DPS at the same time)

It's barely noticeable early on though, and even later it's more a min-maxing thing than anything else.

The heroes are a little better, with Augurs being the best scouts, Sister Superiors the best fighters and Purifiers good at magic. For heroes, the most important thing is their max stat lines, since most skills can only be mastered with 15 in the relevant stat. But yeah, it's min-maxing again, which is really what the character development system is best suited for.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

This game's weird. I mean, I know it's a bad game. It has some awful design decisions, the interface is horrible (especially if you're using a controller), it's grindy and repetitive, and I constantly find myself swearing at my monitor over something the game has done (gently caress. The. Library. Teleporter mazes full of demons can eat all of the dicks). But I can't stop playing it. My little SoS warband, the Wheyfarers, with Lady Ricotta, Zola the Gorgon and Pepper Jacques, are special to me, and there's something really compelling about leading them through fight after fight, watching them get stronger as they level up, or weaker as they lose arms and eyes.

I keep trying to figure out if I would put "Recommended" in a steam review, and I genuinely don't know.

Well, there's joy in the cruelty of the RNG. It's that little burst of satisfaction when you actually manage to surround an opponent from behind and beat them senseless for two turns straight, or stumble onto an unexpected wyrdstone cluster, or when you score some actual Martial Points at the end of a battle. Relatively few games are willing to dick you around to the same extent, and it's compelling.

(I'm also enjoying some of the art direction. The eyeballed pustules everywhere are cartoonish and silly, but the abandoned carriage with a dead horse strapped upside-down to the top? That's good Mordheim.)

I'm not really liking the Cult of the Possessed, who look and feel like a pretty joyless interpretation of Chaos. Give us Orcs and Goblins or the Carnival, guys. Let us savour the weird.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I feel like that achievement is a little bugged, because the Leader in question looks like this :v:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I just started a Chaos warband and man, being used to Skaven this is a real difference. Darksouls are great when/if they hit, but lack of disengage and decent parry early on is pretty hard.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
But the lack of all alone checks rocks.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I just played the first story mission with a possessed warband. I entered the temple with all my guys from one side and cleaned up pretty easily with the help of the debuffing guide. Then I began to look for the way up to the belltower. I didn't see the stairs up in the back because of the camera and faffed about while reinforcements began to trickle in. When I finally found the stairs I rushed my leader and the guide up, with a single darksoul to accompany them. Rest of my guys kept beating down the reinforcements and slowly moving towards the stairs.

When I got close to the tower there was some kind of a boss sister guarding it that nearly wiped the floor with my guide. With the rest of my dudes too far away to even dent the boss' 300 HP I made my leader climb up to the tower. He fell once, but still had just enough movement points to get up and deface the bell and win the mission.

The camera is bad, visuals are bland (there's interesting details but maps look really similar to one another) and simply getting around is time-consuming. Combat is centered on ganging up which means my slow-moving thugs barely have time to loot any wyrdstone (why can't they pick it up after the battle?). Yet for some reason there's odd charm to this game.

Any tips for the chaos guys? I've only used the darksouls so far, recently added a marauder hero. The archer guys seemed pretty bad. So far I've made my guys wait in a group for enemies to rush in, surrounded them with henchmen and finished up with the leader's greatsword. Should I try to get magic instead?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
As a general tip, aim to get everyone intelligence 9. This unlocks Meditation (convert 3 offense to 1 strategic) and Knowledge: Mordheim (+1 move speed). The extra movement makes everything much easier.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I havent picked this up yet (my undying love of Mordheim countered by the price sadly!) but is there any hope of more than four factions in the game as of now?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Theres been chatter on the official forums but nothing concrete that i know of.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I havent picked this up yet (my undying love of Mordheim countered by the price sadly!) but is there any hope of more than four factions in the game as of now?

The game itself refs dwarves and other human factions. Other humans are probably most likely because they can just reskin existing models

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Archers are definitely not useless if you get them in a good position. The map with the courtyard is a good example, I had two archers in a house and my other three dudes outside fighting. By the time someone got to my three guys, they could just hammer them down because they'd already lost a bunch of health.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Steam sale people don't buy this game TY

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogstile posted:

Archers are definitely not useless if you get them in a good position. The map with the courtyard is a good example, I had two archers in a house and my other three dudes outside fighting. By the time someone got to my three guys, they could just hammer them down because they'd already lost a bunch of health.

In my mercenray warband I've got three archers with handguns, and if you place them in a smart position they can really do loads of damage to soften up some of the more dangerous enemies. I don't know about the chaos archers though, can they use guns?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not from what i've seen. Pretty annoyed about the lack of weapons that people can use in this game, i'd like a badass human who throws ninja stars for christ sake.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Chaos cant use guns, which is really stupid because anybody could use any weapon in the tabletop game, they just took penalties. A human using skaven weapons, for example, would take a to-hit penalty.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was incredibly lame and uncool when i got something called "weeping blades" that did poison damage and discovered they were skaven only. The most idiotic thing though is probably flails being sisters-exclusive. Don't swing at me silly boys :3

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks for the tips guys. I added a Chaos archer to my group and he did turn out to be useful. I had my first "proper" random map fight against human mercs, where both teams started at their wagons and rushed to the big pile of stone at the center. That was the first fight where I couldn't just surround guys and was clearly more fun, with arrows flying and spells going off.

I started out a human warband of my own (guns, how cool is that?) but getting a new group up to speed feels like kind of a slog. I thought the maps were randomly generated (that's what I told myself during loading times) but apparently they aren't? I had to take a mission where one my guys was left all alone to be ruined by three henchmen, while the rest of my team easily dogpiled the enemy leader and hero once they wandered into range. I hope I can rotate a reserve guy in to replace that dude.

I kind of wish the enemy warbands were persistent. Would be cool if you met an enemy captain with a peg-leg, who would perhaps get some kind of vengeance bonus to offset the penalty. Of course eventually you'd have to replace enemy groups with new ones roughly at your level, but it would add so much to have actual rivalries going on with other warbands.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The maps are randomly generated, but the chunks of building/scenery that make them are not. It sort of takes all the bits and plops them together at random like a jigsaw, which according to the devs is why the levels take such a long time to load.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Decided to try the second Chaos story mission since its difficulty was "only normal." Did not expect a marksman gauntlet, an ogre and demons. I've lost two guys so far, and I'm not confident my remaining guys can take down the last demon (and then brave the rooftops to get the McGuffin). Can I retry the mission, or is that it?

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Promontory posted:

Decided to try the second Chaos story mission since its difficulty was "only normal." Did not expect a marksman gauntlet, an ogre and demons. I've lost two guys so far, and I'm not confident my remaining guys can take down the last demon (and then brave the rooftops to get the McGuffin). Can I retry the mission, or is that it?

The story missions remain on the map until they're completed I think.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, you can keep trying story missions over and over and theyre all bullshit like that :negative:

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
That's the feeling I got. It would be nice if the game would tell you more about the mission at first. "You'll have to take down that ogre" was a nasty surprise, it flattened one of my heroes after some bad rolls. I tried to find an alternative way into the garrison (I wish the map was more useful) but the only way to go was to brave the overwatch of 3-4 mercs. All of my guys took wounds, but managed to get inside. Then a demon showed up :v:

I might have been able to finish the mission, but I lost my will to go on once I saw a merc spawn in as a "reinforcement" in a cellar I had just cleared. Also I would've had to beat up another demon in an even smaller space.

e: I picked the option to immediately quit the mission when loading it. The game went and gave permanent wounds to characters who hadn't even been knocked out. :negative:

Promontory fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 2, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the most pointlessly vindictive mechanic I've seen in a game, that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm utterly stunned that anyone could gleam fun out of this disappointing game. I'm still shocked that in a turn based game they opted for WASD in lieu of clicking around with a mouse for movement / everything.

• Locked thread