Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

While I'm ranting, I feel the devs got real spooked about making skills too good or something, or... poo poo I don't know. The whole thing is just % for OP style weaksauce, and the stuff that really does something is usually rather minor.

I personally find this really frustrating, it makes me wonder if there was a vocal number of EA testers who kept finding exploits or something and all they could think to do in response was nerf things. Some of the skills are so laughably useless, I have no idea what the designer of them was thinking. For example, there's a skill that gives you a +15% chance to pass climb/jump checks for 1 turn, only you lose 35hp next turn, which can kill you. Not only is that 35hp 2x higher than the amount you'd lose when failing a climb down check, but there's a different passive skill that gives you the +15% chance permanently, with no disadvantages, so why use the active one? There are also a bunch of active skills that would be marginally useful in a fight (like convert 3 SP into 1 OP), but they only work if the user isn't engaged in melee combat (i.e. not fighting).

On the other hand, this is the first game I've gotten where ironman/permadeath is so strictly enforced, so I'm seeing if I can learn who to not be so loss averse while playing. I kind of spoiled XCOM for myself by save scumming, so maybe I can learn to roll with the punches a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

So am I to assume the singleplayer they talked about ended up being pretty bad/nonexistent/basically just skirmishes? I've never been a big multiplayer type person with these types of games, but an XCOMish Warhams Fantasy game didn't sound too terrible. Yet nobody is talking about it in this thread, just the multiplayer.

I'm playing single player, and it's kind of odd. On the one hand, there's a ton of skills, enchantments and weapon types. On the other hand, the depth feels kind of illusory, since only a few of the skills really feel worth taking, while the rest are just incremental improvements, like +5% this or that. Weapons are different from each other, but it's all stuff like "This does more damage, but reduces your initiative" or "This bypasses X% enemy armor", so they all end up feeling the same. Item Enchantment might have helped, but you need to find a recipe for each enchantment, and they're absurdly rare. I've played the game for 35hours, and I've found 2 recipes so far.

The AI is pretty bad too, the worst is that it often gets its character's stuck, especially the super units, which are larger than everyone else. I've won a few battles because an enemy Rat Ogre/Chaos Spawn/Ogre was stuck behind a wall next to the main skirmish. Still, it does the job well enough, and puts up enough of a fight that it doesn't feel like a complete pushover.

It's not all bad, I'm enjoying building up my warband. The permanent injuries your guys pick up are annoying, but they do add personality, so you end up feeling attached to the guys. The combat can be satisfying as well, though once again it's depth is sort of illusory, since it mostly comes down too making sure you always outnumber your opponent, especially early on before you get a lot of abilities.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
This game's weird. I mean, I know it's a bad game. It has some awful design decisions, the interface is horrible (especially if you're using a controller), it's grindy and repetitive, and I constantly find myself swearing at my monitor over something the game has done (gently caress. The. Library. Teleporter mazes full of demons can eat all of the dicks). But I can't stop playing it. My little SoS warband, the Wheyfarers, with Lady Ricotta, Zola the Gorgon and Pepper Jacques, are special to me, and there's something really compelling about leading them through fight after fight, watching them get stronger as they level up, or weaker as they lose arms and eyes.

I keep trying to figure out if I would put "Recommended" in a steam review, and I genuinely don't know.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Normal Adult Human posted:

Sisters and novices are basically identical, ratkin are just worse warpguards, etc

At low levels, yeah. At higher levels their max stat levels make a few differences, it boils down to:

Sisters have low agility and high weapon skill, so they're good for parry builds and tanking
Novices have high agility, so they're good for dodge builds and DPS (SoS need shields to parry, so you can't do parry and DPS at the same time)

It's barely noticeable early on though, and even later it's more a min-maxing thing than anything else.

The heroes are a little better, with Augurs being the best scouts, Sister Superiors the best fighters and Purifiers good at magic. For heroes, the most important thing is their max stat lines, since most skills can only be mastered with 15 in the relevant stat. But yeah, it's min-maxing again, which is really what the character development system is best suited for.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
As a general tip, aim to get everyone intelligence 9. This unlocks Meditation (convert 3 offense to 1 strategic) and Knowledge: Mordheim (+1 move speed). The extra movement makes everything much easier.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The maps are randomly generated, but the chunks of building/scenery that make them are not. It sort of takes all the bits and plops them together at random like a jigsaw, which according to the devs is why the levels take such a long time to load.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Did they change much with Dodge/Parry? As someone who only played the released game, I thought the difference between the two worked quite well.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

It's $3 for both. Whatever. :shrug: I don't play this anymore so I won't be getting the DLC, but I just don't see it as something to get worked up over.

Yeah, they're cheap enough that I might get one if I was to play again. Still, new heroes isn't really what the game was missing, a new henchman unit for each faction would have been a bit more interesting imho, since each faction only has 2 and you usually end up taking 5 henchmen into each battle.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I agree, and I'd also like to point out just how many of the skills you can add to your characters are either boring, pointless or both. Here's all the skills in the game, and here's my appraisal of 10 of them, along with easy ways to fix them

• Passive: When Fleeing, increases Melee Resistance by 15%.- 0/5 - If you're fleeing, chances are that you're already dead, 15% isn't gonna make any difference, the skill should make you flat out immune to the damage.
  • Active: Once per turn, restores 1 Offense Point but removes 30 Wounds at the beginning of the next turn. This loss can render the target out of Action. - 1/5 - Sacrificing a moderate amount of health for half the action points needed for a single attack is a lovely deal. It should sacrifice 50% of your max health for a complete refill of all your offense points.
  • Passive: Increases the chance to hit during an Ambush attack by 10%. - 1/5 - Even if ambushes weren't glitchy and unreliable, 10% isn't enough to make a real difference. I'd make it a guaranteed hit.
  • Passive: Reduced the Heavy Armor movement penalty by 1 meter. - 3/5 - It's boring, but it's actually pretty useful, since heavy armor users are slow as hell.
  • Passive: Increases the Critical hit chance of Charge attacks by 10%. - 1/5 - Chances are a character will only do 1 or 2 charge attacks per battle, I'd make it a guaranteed critical.
  • Passive: Increases the chance to pass Climb, Leap, and Jump Down tests by 15%. - 2/5 - Boring, but it does the job I guess. I'd up it to 25%.
  • Passive: Increases Dodge chance by 10% - 2/5 - Only useful if you're really focusing on dodge, and even then it's too low. I'd up it to 20%.
  • Passive: Increases the range of Ambush attacks by 3 meters. - 2/5 - Actually sort of useful, this ability means you should always be able to ambush a unit before it gets into range to charge you. Ambush is still glitchy and unreliable though.
  • Passive: Increases the range of Charge attacks by 3 meters. - 2/5 - Counters the above, so useful-ish as well I guess?
  • Active: Increases Ranged Resistance by 20% but reduces movement range by 2 meters. Lasts 1 turn. - 0/5 - You spend offense points and movepoints for a small chance to dodge ranged attacks which will probably do gently caress all damage even if they do hit you. JFC I have no idea how to fix this, make it a mode you can toggle on and off for free maybe?

I'm not cherry picking bad skills here, these are the first 10 in the list. In fact, I have to go 2/3s of the way down the list to find a genuinely good skill at all (Sidestep, which doubles your dodge attempts). They need skills which open up new gameplay options and change the way you can use a character, but most of the skills are just fiddling with numbers. The few skills they have which genuinely do add new options all seem to have been nerfed to the degree that they barely seem to be useful at all, for example:

Overpower - 4 OP - A melee attack that deals regular damage but with a -40% chance to hit. If hit, the target is stunned unless they pass a Stun Resistance test.

So, I'll probably miss, and even if I don't, there's a good chance the target will resist the attack, also, it costs twice as many OP as a normal attack. This is one of the most expensive skills you can get as well.

It's a shame, because you can see some of the ideas are good, they just seem to have been crippled by a overly conservative approach that seems so terrified of adding overpowered skills and abilities that all the fun has been drained out of them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think my favorite is Intensity:

"Increases the chance to pass Climb, Leap, and Jump DOwn tests by 15% for 1 turn, but removes 35 Wounds at the beginning of next turn. This loss can render the target Out of Action. Not Stackable."

Which is utterly loving awful, even when you ignore the fact that you can just get the Athletic Expert passive:

"Increases the chance to pass Climb, Leap, and Jump Down tests by 15%. "

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there are a lot of readability issues with the world because of the system, like "Is there room for me to move past if I put a character here?" or "Is there space to retreat if I attack from this direction?" or "Where can this character actually charge to, if I go into ambush mode here?". I remember screwing myself over in a campaign mission because I left a character too near the bottom of a ladder, which blocked my entire army from moving for a turn. Turn Based games are a lot about planning in advance, and that all goes out of the window when it's so easy to make mistakes like that.

Valkyrie Chronicles gets away with it, and I think that's the sort of style they were aiming for, but there are some key differences. Like in VC, all attacks are ranged, so everyone typically stays nicely spaced apart. Also, VC's levels are all designed to minimize choke points, so you don't get all these traffic jam issues, while Mordheim explictly adds choke points, since chokepoints are one of the only mechanics they have for adding tactical depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just looked, and apparently I have 77 hours in the game. It's hard to recommend it, but I can't deny I enjoyed a lot of my time with it despite its flaws.

• Locked thread