Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would like this game alot more if you got more from losses. Me and my brother have played 15-20 games against each other now and it's become blatantly obvious that winning the game as skaven is nearly impossible. I can collect wyrdstone first but good luck ever winning a fight unless you can get 2 or 3 pick offs first. Once my brother learned to just have his guys run around in a massive deathball I haven't won a game since.

It would be better if you didn't have to end every single game by fighting. Sure you can run around and gather goodies before fighting but eventually your only option is to fight, and then whoever goes down mostly gets some hideous injury and gently caress you.

I can't even advance my warband at all in multiplayer, even if you pull a 50% winrate overall you actually lose ground from the instanely high rate of crippling injuries and deaths.

For all it's flaws bloodbowl is such a better game than this at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nah there are magic and skills and stuff. Though most of your run of the mill dudes don't start with any. You can teach active or passive skills when they level up and with a bit of focus you can turn your base guys into specified roles. I have a guy dedicated to running fast and climbing poo poo to get to all the wyrdstone first, as well as another guy who uses pistols to murder anything and everything insight, and then a bunch of meatshield guys I have to spread around to give that guy space to fire.

Though I will say with low rank warbands you pretty much just run up and bash at each other and hope it all works out, unfortunately it takes so drat long to get to a high rank warband by doing that.

It's almost like the best way to enjoy the game is to play single player until you have a rank 4 warband and friends with a rank 4 warband and then bash those two teams together when you have a few more tactical options to make.

In bloodbowl when you lose a game you still get an MVP exp bonus, as well as any spp you earned throughout the game, you will still probably win money and most of your players won't be injured, in fact serious debilitating injuries are pretty rare. You can get up to a high tv value just by going 0-25 if you really sucked in bloodbowl. In this game it feels like you get nothing when you lose, unless you managed to put a reasonable amount of wyrdstone in the cart before you die, or the people who are carrying it don't eat dirt. There's just such a high chance of taking really really bad debilitating injuries, and yet the rewards when you lose are so slim.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That is the point when you just steal everything out of their chest and take their idol.

Taking their idol causes a huge morale crash so you probably could've dropped them under the threshold that way.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sounds like it is a fun tabletop game. I might even considering playing if bloodbowl didn't scare me off tabletop games of this type. It's just so annoying to keep track of what each and every player's stats are on such a scale.

Are level ups in this game random? My leader rat has gained 2 strategic points and 1 offensive point in his levels. I thought it was just normal that you'd get those at certain breakpoints but maybe it's just lucky. I don't know why I didn't think there would be random levels considering how much I play bloodbowl.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

One trick to make the game more fun in skirmishes: Turn up the break point for the rout.

It defaults to 40% which normally meant I had all of 2 guys still standing by the end of it and the last half of the fight was just an obvious loss where I was outnumbered and super loving dead.

We tried turning it allllll the way up to 70% and we found most of the time the person who drops below 70% first would ~probably~ have lost anyway. It makes losses a hell of a lot less crushing when you only roll injuries for a couple chump hirelings instead of the majority of your team.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I find myself actually really enjoying this game. i still don't like how easy it is for a team to completely explode after a single match but ever since I messed with the game settings some I feel like I make at least some progress even on a loss. I have a group of friends and we all just play pick up games with each other, it's pretty good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/Agent355/

Add me and yell at me for pick up games. This game was made for a big rear end circle of people who just yell at each other to play a game from time to time. Preferrably over skype so I can complain when you roll crits and I fail agility rolls with skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

On my rat team I made my leader an expert with poison damage, he has upgraded both his poison resistance bypass skill and the poison that removes the enemy's offense points when applied. He has enough offfense/strategy points to disengage, apply poison, and re-engage and still get off his 2 attacks with a weeping blade in a turn (need more offense points before I could theoretically get off three).

My rat mage on the other hand has only 1 spell, the upgraded version of Blessing of Filth which is a 1 turn buff that puts a poison effect on your weapon doing something like 20-30 damage per poison tick per stack. The rat mag also has guidance to help the rat ogre move around the map.

The ogre, mage, and leader make a trio attack squad where the rogre does area denial and the assassin just mass stacks poison on his target (with either weeping blades or wardstone pistols, whichever).

2 attacks with the assassin after buffing with both blessign of filth and the self-applied offense debuff results in about 60 poison damage and -4 offense points on top of the damage dealth from regular attacks.

It is a good combo.

• Locked thread