Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grobbo
May 29, 2014
Well, a game dev who I respect was enjoying this game, so I gave it a download and a go.

The pleasures seem to be mostly in the warband management right now; somehow I've ended up with an incompetent, goatee-d captain who gets knocked out every combat while his vastly more competent youngblood lieutenant runs around getting everything done. Also, no money, because the captain needed a duelling pistol which he rarely gets to fire.

As for the combat, there's the good swearing (as another Sister of Sigmar rounds the corner of a building) and the bad swearing (as I repeatedly get stuck on the corner of a building). And then too much waiting at every stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

This game's weird. I mean, I know it's a bad game. It has some awful design decisions, the interface is horrible (especially if you're using a controller), it's grindy and repetitive, and I constantly find myself swearing at my monitor over something the game has done (gently caress. The. Library. Teleporter mazes full of demons can eat all of the dicks). But I can't stop playing it. My little SoS warband, the Wheyfarers, with Lady Ricotta, Zola the Gorgon and Pepper Jacques, are special to me, and there's something really compelling about leading them through fight after fight, watching them get stronger as they level up, or weaker as they lose arms and eyes.

I keep trying to figure out if I would put "Recommended" in a steam review, and I genuinely don't know.

Well, there's joy in the cruelty of the RNG. It's that little burst of satisfaction when you actually manage to surround an opponent from behind and beat them senseless for two turns straight, or stumble onto an unexpected wyrdstone cluster, or when you score some actual Martial Points at the end of a battle. Relatively few games are willing to dick you around to the same extent, and it's compelling.

(I'm also enjoying some of the art direction. The eyeballed pustules everywhere are cartoonish and silly, but the abandoned carriage with a dead horse strapped upside-down to the top? That's good Mordheim.)

I'm not really liking the Cult of the Possessed, who look and feel like a pretty joyless interpretation of Chaos. Give us Orcs and Goblins or the Carnival, guys. Let us savour the weird.

• Locked thread