Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I got this and am a big standard human. Just grabbed me a warlock. Are they even worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^ Most of the core gameplay seems to be in. There are stills some holes though.

My awesome leader just got his arms ripped off by a Rat Ogre.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I played the hell out of tabletop Mordheim and so far the only things I really don't like is the lack of a Dwarven Warband and the fact that I cant get a Hochland Longrifle. Also a rapier and cool cape.

What the hell are these armbands I found for?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I updated the game just as I ran out the door this morning for work and I can't wait to see how it's changed. I'm hoping for more customization options so I can make my pretty warband prettier.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I FINALLY got some spell points for my Chaos warband - Nurgle's Special Children - and chose the Acid Cone. Holy crap is that spell powerful! My leader drat near solo'd a warband of Sisters because they all ran into the same house. 3 of them went from full health to downed in the first spell.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Once you get rolling it can be hard to stop a charge/ambush Warband with a lot of heavy hitters. Which honestly was true in the tabletop as well. I'm doing Hard and Brutal missions now for a challenge.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Snatch Duster posted:

I enjoy playing the Skaven the most. Rat ogre is the best big guy and gives zero fucks about anything. Also, skaven can stack dodge or parry super easy. I got a duder with 90% dodge and nothing hits him.

Chaos Mutants can get crazy good as well. My character has three mutations that all give bonuses to dodge. He's practically untouchable.

Thousand Eyes, however, precludes the wearing of armor.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah, any mission that results in your team spread out, and the enemy team stuck together, is going to result in you eating poo poo regardless of whatever narrative theyre pushing

After a Warband level or two these actually become kinda easy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Do tell. For me they tend to wind up with at least one of my guys out of action before they can move, and having to fight the whole enemy squad while missing three dudes who have to waddle from the rear end end of nowhere.

One mission in particular saw my leader stuck with two henchmen at the end of a dead end street as an angry nun mosh pit descended on his position. Then he got stunned and that was pretty much the end of that.

Meanwhile, having your own forces concentrated is pure easy street. There's really no tactical advantage to be gained from splitting up.

I guess because I pump my Warband woth every agility increase I can I just get that high initiative. My Mutant is almost always first in line, moves incredibly far, and has an arm that was turned into a sword that deals ungodly damage. If I'm split up the first thing I tend to do is run him over to whoever may be vulnerable and a stick by them.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

dogstile posted:

I actually upped initiative on all my guys, with a warband level and I still find that I just get an important unit left alone and engaged/surrounded before he can move.

Its kinda ruining the game for me. They need bigger maps, failing that they may as well be going "hah gently caress you" and starting you with a smaller warband.

The game is supposed to be brutal and hard. The tabletop was no different if you played by the rules. Heck with my chaos warband I had two guys killed in the first three missions I took. Like actually killed.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I didn't even know that a single dude could lose both legs. I have a mutant I renamed Stumpy. If he didn't hit 5 and get a mutation for a Slicer, he'd also have no right arm.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nope.

Although it is now possible to lose both legs, as Werner "Stumpy" Heinstrag learned.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
No idea, I've been playing space cowboy/trucker to awesome tunes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Demons will gently caress your face. Holy poo poo.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just about. I think there's one more big rear end update planned first.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zephro posted:

If it's not a dumb question, is this game any good? I've been watching it for a while and really hoping but I hear a lot of mixed stuff about it :ohdear:

I enjoy the hell out of it. The turns can sometimes feel long and in the beginning you'll get your rear end kicked a lot, but it feels worth it after a while. They recently introduced a feature to eliminate the save scumming people were doing to try and avoid the nasty things that were happening to their warband, so now if you alt+F4 out of the game you automatically lose the fight you're in. I both like and dislike this new feature. I like it because save scumming is for assholes, and I dislike because I can be a save scumming rear end in a top hat when I make a stupid mistake and get my warlock killed. Again.

loving Warlocks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

I tried playing this a couple of weeks ago, I got a map with about 40 spawn points. Discovered the only way to select spawn points was using the A and D to cycle through them in a disorientating way that seemed to also spin the camera randomly. Quit.

Why the gently caress would you not be able to select spawn points or at least jump to one using the over head camera? Why are there over 40 spawn points all right next to each other? If they are releasing this with complete failures of basic UI like that, that's ridiculous.

Those spawn points all over the place are for strategic placement of your dudes. Instead of your guys getting randomly splashed around so that both your marksmen end up next to each other with no melee backup, you can set yourself up for success. This is especially important when you get into the higher difficulty missions.

Normal Adult Human posted:

no it's bad. if you bought and enjoyed blood bowl it's about on that level of play.

This is wrong and you are wrong.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

I know why the spawn points are there, it's just actually using them is terrible. Why not just give me spawn areas and let me place my guys inside? Why not let me select them from the strategic view instead of cycling through all of them using a and d? Moving between them is incredibly disorientating in a game I already find difficult to orientate myself in.

That's true, moving between them is a huge pain in the rear end. I'm glad they are changing that already.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

They're updating the spawn points? If I could just learn how to orientate myself and what all these weapon choices actually mean, I might like this game!

Weapons choices were something that took me a while and a lot of experimenting to figure out. Human halberds are amazing, they hit like a 2-Handed Axe but allow you to Parry as well. Swords are the all-rounded weapon and adds a small parry bonus as well. Hammers and Maces are fun for smashing and really great if you want to build up a fighter to be a crit machine. Spears don't do a lot of damage but they get through defenses really easy, I rarely have even a Skaven dodge my spears. Pistol are OK placeholders until you get Dueling Pistol. The Blunderbus is terrible and should never be used. The Handgun does high damage and crits easy but is totally outshined by the Hunting Rifle which has the longest range in the game and any decent marksmen can thread a needle with it. With humans never duel-wield, it's dumb and takes away from the Humans one real advantage, armor and defense. If you are duel-wielding, even a sword and dagger, you can't parry. I think that's pretty stupid really.

Armbands are used by hitty characters like Mutants, Rat Ogres, Demons and a few other troop types I haven't seen yet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Normal Adult Human posted:

I compare this game to blood bowl because it is a deeply, deeply flawed game and most of the flaws are too ingrained in the system to ever patch out without fundamental redesign but it is meant to cater to a very specific group of people who will enjoy it for what it is despite it not being very good. Blood bowl was fun but not good. Mordheim is kind of fun but not good, maybe multiplayer campaigns will make it fun.

I can see it catering to a specific group of people. I actually didn't enjoy Bloodbowl, despite like the PNP game. I'm enjoying the hell out of Mordheim.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was a big cheerleader foe this game because of all the poo poo they had planned for release. Then they released and I almost feel like they Spacebase DF9'ed me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
+1 wounds was a huge win at a level up. If you were really lucky you could get +1 STR and have a sword that gave +1 WS and be a mediocre blender.

Also I'm still grumpy I cant have my Hochland Long Rifle or Skaven Jezail.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Inhave to admit there are moments of great fun to be had. Your minions start to get stories that follow them. Like one veteran fighter Inhave who is now missing an arm and a leg. He's by far my best defensive fighter and can hold the line against anything. Even even took a Bloodthirster in 1v1 and almost won.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Now that a good friend of mine has picked up the game, and we both played the tabletop game, I'm having a lot of fun with this bad game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I think when I get home tonight I'm going to dig around in files and see if I can change skills at least for single player. Cause most of them really are useless.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You really can get attached to your guys. My main ambusher, who was incredibly deadly with his daggers and ambush skills, lost a loving leg and can't ambush any more. I wanted to get rid of him at first, but honestly he's the only original Warband member left. Even my captain got replaced once (Cant be a good Leader and be Stupid). I ended up sparing him and giving him a crossbow. I don't care if he's not very good with it, he's staying on the team.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

ekuNNN posted:

My human wizard so far is just a guy who stabs people and sometimes has his head explode. Hopefully there's some actually useful spells to learn.

My wizard knows Lightening Bolt and Fireball. His magical counterparts can't keep up with his damage.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
But the lack of all alone checks rocks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Theres been chatter on the official forums but nothing concrete that i know of.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Chaos cant use guns, which is really stupid because anybody could use any weapon in the tabletop game, they just took penalties. A human using skaven weapons, for example, would take a to-hit penalty.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I cant believe this poo poo. Individual units as paid dlc? These fuckers...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I only play this now when my buddy is on and we fight each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Blacktoll posted:

Are you planning on moving your guys with a croupiers stick awkwardly instead of your hand and making your moves etched in stone? If not, you're missing the mordheim experience.

I thought that was how you were supposed to play the tabletop game.

• Locked thread