Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Well once the players have more power they can make alterations if they want I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I tingle with barely contained mild excitement.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Okay, after much thinking and compromise I am taking the following nine players:

The Nabster
Everything Counts
Speleothing
Pocholo
Shogeton
Valhawk
Brainamp
Ronwayne
Epicurius

The standard rules of if people drop out and I want replacements, I will advertise in the thread and in #ohgod. The level of applications was good, and while I wish I could take everyone past folly has taught me that this would be a well intended mistake. If the nine players I have chosen can confirm they are still here, in the meantime I will begin working on the first post. For some extra information, let me know the following.

It is the final days of the Cold, before the Heat properly starts. That brief span of a week or two when the weather turns mild and it is not too hot or cold, a precious time in which to make preparations for the season ahead. What has your tribe done in years past in this time, and what are they doing now that you are here?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tevas and the Vaikai

In previous years, there had been no Vaikai, during the Mild Days they had celebrated with their old tribes in their old ways, at least until the last such mild period when as was tradition in many tribes, those who were deemed unnecessary by their tribes were cast out.

Now, days after his appearance, Tevas had called the outcasts before him and spoken. "It was on this day you were forsaken by your tribes, you were cast out to wander alone, and had you not found each other you would have perished. It was I who guided you to one another, and it was I who saved you. Now I call upon you to mark this day as a day of new beginning." Using his power he generated a pool of crystal clear water. "Bathe yourself in my waters and be cleansed. Forsake your old life as your old tribe forsook you. Cast off your old names and old loyalties and pledge yourselves to me. Be baptized in my waters, and be outcasts no more, become, instead, my faithful Vaikai." These mild days marked the last days of the outcasts, and the first of the Vaikai. Those that took Tevas up on his offer, and all knew that any who did not would draw the god's ire, set about the business of formalizing what had been for the last season unspoken agreements on the splitting of work, and bringing them before Tevas for his approval.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Good luck all!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Buerri
Normally, the Buerri would be hunting as many fish as they can, so they can be racked and dried during the hot season. The blackroots would be at their fattest after the snow melt, ready to be dug up and basketed. Matriarchs would be netting babies and penning them to learn the ways of the tribe while their lungs developed. Patriarchs would be training yearlings in the arts of creche building. And young couples would be cleaning out egg pools and filling them. By the start of the second month of summer, they'd be ready to start trekking north along the coastline to a cooler waters.

Now, with Wakixta in their midst, and no babies or yearlings to train, they're getting ready to see how much better things are in the mountains. It should be less than three weeks to the place he has in mind. And he says it won't be too hot up there and that he'll swing by with a storm every few weeks and keep the egg pools watered.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 2, 2014

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
T'l-Dohgull and the Glypts

As the Cold ebbs away and the Heat rises, the Glypts would normally spend time preparing for a trek through the higher temperature. They would create sledges from ruined tree trunks, on which to pull skins of water and the newly-born (who are yet too young to survive a strenuous journey). Indeed, those Glypts left behind in the parent clan may yet be doing this.

Not T'l-Dohgull's disciples, however; the young cling to their parents, or are carried. A few skins of water are also carried, but the new god promises he can call rain when it is needed, and water should not be an issue. Or so he claims. Mostly, he wants to leave as few tracks as possible, and the sledge-trails worry him. The disciples are leaving the Glypt's route and pushing off into unknown territory. None know what is ahead, although there are rumors of a great swamp not too far from where they broke away from the parent clan. Perhaps water can be found there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Tislaren

The Mild Days are busy ones among the Tislaren. It's when supplies are checked, and food and water supplies are refilled, the Mild Days being the time when water is plentiful, after the melts and before much of it evaporates in the harsh sun, and when those plants that are still left flower and seed. It is also the time for marriages, and when the Tislaren all become, according to their counts, a year older.

But it is also the time of mourning, where the Tislaren remember the world that was, where, according to legend, it was always the Mild Days, and mourn its loss.

Since the Greenlord has returned, though, the mourning has lessened. At the last ceremonies, there was, dare I say, a moment of hope?

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 3, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

HiKaizer posted:

It is the final days of the Cold, before the Heat properly starts. That brief span of a week or two when the weather turns mild and it is not too hot or cold, a precious time in which to make preparations for the season ahead. What has your tribe done in years past in this time, and what are they doing now that you are here?

During the last turn of seasons, Maruthuk is told, the Sumatians had been holding a mating pair of emaciated rabbit-like creatures. At that moment, during the mild weather, they tried to get the creatures to breed. Precious water reserves and dry wasteland brushweed were put to this task, in the hopes that it would be an investment returned in valuable meat - dried meat was the single most precious thing a Sumatian could hold. It was almost exclusively reserved for the few pregnant mothers in the tribe, for they had already seen what happened to the babies when they did not take such measures. The rabbit-things bred, but half the litter died. Rodent babies unfortunately have very little meat on them, but it was nevertheless a good season - they survived, and this year they had two mating pairs.
This turn of season, with Maruthuk and his promise of water and crops and walls and glittering cities, a few of the tribe's gatherers have committed themselves to the task of finding wild seeds. A few among them dimly remembered a time when they had tried to plant crops, and failed - they remembered a few certain seeds that had sprouted more easily than the rest (yet died in the end). Others have taken it upong themselves to find mating pairs of creatures fitting to serve as livestock - preferrably small.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Gralesma and the goblins

In normal times, goblins would use that time to breed and travel. Some time before the cold actually ends, they start, and when those weeks arrive, there's a lot of little mouths to feed. Because of that, the goblins usually start travelling a lot, eating everything in their paths like a swarm of large and ugly locusts, attacking anyone they encounter. When the heat starts coming down hard, they usually slow down, scavenging mostly at night, trying to have their birth rate overcome their death rate.

Now however, that energy gets channeled otherwise. The goblins are building tunnels. A nest of warrens within the earth, careful not to disturb too many roots. They're not exactly well made, and some goblins inevitably die in cave ins, but those are seen as 'claimed' by Gralesma. They should offer coolness in the hot summer to come though. Of course, they steel breed like rabbits. And keeping them all fed will be a challenge.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

quote:

Rooh-Vah and the Tin Folk

The changing of seasons should be a time of celebration, but year after year, it seems to have been a time of mourning.

When the snows melt, damage is revealed the extent changes from year to year but there is often little good news. Some of the Tin Folk are damaged, an eye socket is rusted over, a limb is bent the wrong way, joints rust, bodies crack, openings leak, but often these are the lucky ones, a lot of them will never see the sun again. The damage is too severe for them to travel without help or they shut down in their sleep. Nothing could be done for them, except a peaceful shut down and a reuse of their parts to try and repair those who still stood. Once what damage could be mended had been mended and those who couldn't be saved stripped down and laid to rest, the remaining Tin Folk would leave their chosen hovel and bask in the first rays of light in months. Those who were lost were commemorated, and those who remain gather what resources they can and head back into the mountains for another season.

Rooh-Vah has made these dark times much lighter. The Mechanical Scion's hands work around the clock during the cold season, and after it to ensure that as many Tin Folk survive the hibernation whole and complete, for the first time in years the cold season was not a sharp drop in population. His metallic touch and his power over earth ensures that their hibernation chamber is shielded from the cold and extreme weather conditions, he made surviving the dark months less down to chance, but it has raised a different problem. The increased number of Tin Folk that make it out of Cold Season, has meant a larger amount of ore has needed to be mined for the next. The additional hands to feed the populace help but Rooh-Vah and the Tin Folk remain guarded for the day where the Mountains can no longer sustain their people. When that happens, what then?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 3, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

For the Raja, the warming temperatures mark the beginning of the mating season for the younger members of the tribe. Since they are no longer being forced to brumate in their dens during the Cold, the space can be used to provide shelter for the next clutch of eggs. The coming Heat isn't ideal, but compared to the Cold, it's the only opportunity the tribe will have to grow. The older Raja typically take this time to establish new hunting grounds and traps deeper into the swamp. Pickings from the few traps that were set out tended to be slim at the best of times, but rarely were beasts fresh out of hibernation ever wary enough to avoid them.

Goru's arrival sparked an increase in the Raja's activity in the days leading up toe the Mild. The fires he gifted them allowed them to fight off the frigid temperatures that had threatened them so often before. Starvation still remained a problem, but fewer among them needed to worry about freezing in their sleep. Aside from heating their dens, they could now also gather water before the thaws began and it all returned to the bog and became harder to drink.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Florencia and co.

For the Florencia Men, things are definitely a bit new. Ordinarily the lull in the local weather patterns meant excellent time for raiding others and hoarding as much supplies as possible before Heat made being outdoors in the day a brain melting experience.

Now that Florencia is here, however, things have changed. Now that they've gathered 'round and she's convinced them not to stab each other for the time being, she's put down her first major project: She needs a town and a throne to rule from. She gathers the locals around and gives out orders: The local natural harbor is going to be the seat of their new home. Although the only building materials available to them are dislodged coral, loose obsidian rocks, and mountains of discarded oyster shells all lashed together with driftwood, mud daub, and twine, its a start. Flash melting critical locations together serves both as mechanical reinforcement and one hell of an incentive to keep working.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 3, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Game is up!

I'll make a post on some mechanics detail and clarification shortly. It will be at core a standard smallgods PDQ game with some tweaks so if you want to go ahead with an action you should be safe if you keep that in mind.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Question, how does the tribe's trait play in a god action, if at all?

For example, if I wanted to have Maruthuk create some sort of water well using Water to create a slowly replenishing water source, Plants to create some sort of planty vessel for it that shields it from the environment, and my tribe's Smart to represent how they would quickly learn how to maintain it and tap it, would that work or they can't be mixed?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The example you gave is one of the ideas I had in how you would use it. They are in a way an extension of your traits, but they are thematically distinct from your divine power. As long as the application makes sense, they can be used to supplement the roll though. I know that I cannot think of everything you guys will do, and if your actions are creative and clever, but unforeseen by me, I'll probably okay them if they are plausible or justifiable.

As a caveat, if a race develops some kind of devout or other hyper-religious trait you cannot just use that to buff all your divine actions.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bonus Dice

All gods currently have 2. As I mentioned in the OP, you earn more by tagging both of your drawbacks at once. In return for this terrible penalty, your Bonus Dice can be used to guarantee at worst a moderate success on an action and adds another die to your roll. Use it for the most important and essential parts of your plans. You cannot use these in combat, if and when it should occur.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I know you mentioned a Tuesday update, so I'll try to get one after work today (6-7pm -6 GMT). Unless yesterday WAS the Tuesday update. loving timezones man.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
It was ideally supposed to be the Friday one, but, since work is hectic and this was the first update the schedule will be a little odd until the update after this one. I will probably give everyone a day or two more to post before I start updating.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

K. uh, i'll delay mine until wed, u.s. afternoon. i'm doing (wikipedia) reserch on ocean critters for this post.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
As a not on traits, I'll offer chances to change them around periodically but actual new traits will come less frequently and will be a sign of increased power in Tribes and Gods. You do not need to take any offerings and will not be deliberately penalised by doing so. Usually new traits will be related to the nature or philosophy of big actions or strings of actions done by players, or by long term changes and evolution in the Tribes. If you played in Rising, you will be familiar with the basic idea.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Almost done with work, will post in a few hours.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Christmas period is over, so I will be following the original update schedule more closely.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah sorry, I couldn't post up an action, holiday season chaos (that still continues until the 2nd of January). I'll deffo post before the weekend.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm still here

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Speleothing I'll let Wakixta do some retroactive non-Divine actions for the posts you missed. Nothing too big though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I guess I'll establish a priesthood and some rituals. Not much else to do without using divine power.

Unless I can use the Buerri's [+2] to make the greenroot and blackroot gardens prosper.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Will have a post up today after work.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Artefacts!

Artefacts come in two forms, minor and major. Gods cannot use an artefact to boost their powers, they are left behind for the use, benefit and detriment of mortals. An Artefact can be seized by people in some way, either literally by taking it or by taking control of it in some way. Creating an artefact takes something out of a god for a while, so you cannot create a new one for a while. Additionally artefacts can be destroyed, although major artefacts will take more effect to be destroyed than minor ones. Additionally major artefacts may be aware or sentient in some way, like the Tree of Life is.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ronwayne, let me know when is good for you to IRC, and we'll do the convo there.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I would like to update tomorrow, please try to have all conversations finished by then please. I cannot wait any longer for them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You know if this crazy spaceship talk reaches Maruthuk he's gonna want Warhammer 40k Cathedral Ships, made of solid gold

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I apologize for the tonal shifts. Florencia just kinda turned into a superpowered-space-criminal-princess-thing instead of a god proper.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just wanted to let you all know that I enjoy this PBP.
I hope that this Godgame will carry on. :love:

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Reapping in case of an opening.

Name: Yalag

Description: After many quests to diminish his power, after still more quests thwarting his evil plans, the noble band of adventurers had finally come to defeat him. They enacted their plan, using one of the very Words of Creation to reverse his Lichdom. In the end, however, the best they could do was to destroy his phylactery and Banish him from their world.

Yalag dusted himself off, Still contemplating his defeat. “Welp.”

Trait +2: Word of Creation[Mutation] Yalag’s long unlife came to a halt when one of the Great Words was unleashed upon him. In its echoes he has a certain control over life, allowing him to change life forms according to his will.
Trait +2: Dragon - Possessed of the mighty strength and magic of Dragons, Yalag retains much of the power and Strength that began his rise as the Dark Lord of his world.

Trait -2: Greedy - A very Avaricious being, the desire to build and grow a hoard will override common sense.
Trait -2: Pride - A dragon is above judgement and consequence. Or so they think.

Tribe: The Yiplings (kobolds)

Having to scrap and work with next to nothing was something Kobolds had always excelled at. With the self-proclaimed “Greater” races and civilizations crumbling, the Yiplings had taken it upon themselves to scavenge what greater tribes left behind and...acquire what lesser tribes possessed.

Trait +2: Crafty - The defining kobold feature, these sly, underhanded ruffians refuse to play fair or fight on an even footing. Traps and deceit are what meet those that underestimate these little dragon-kin.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
As JamezBfod so presciently anticipated, there is an opening for one player. Goru's player, Brainamp has dropped out and I find that 9 players suits me well with this game so I would like to replace him. If you have already apped and are interested in playing, please post a link to your original app or repost it and state your interest!

As we've had a few things change up by now, here are some things to think about in case you want to change up your powers:

Currently we have a good amount of plant and water gods. This was important at the start because the planet was a dry husk with barely any life left, but that is starting to change a lot. Likewise some of the gods are trying to look into a fix the weather, so that might be an area where you do not need to involve yourself in too much directly. At least for now.
However there is not a lot of animal life, and we are missing both numbers and diversity. It would be a good sphere of influence for now, with a chance to change to something else later based on whether you were a kindly god/dess or not.
Fertility would work well, the sentient peoples are finding their environmental stresses relaxing somewhat but their numbers are still relatively small.
Otherwise some kind of focus on civilisation and building it up would also work quite well.
Do not pick traits relating to arts or culture, as there's not a lot of people to make good use of them, or traits relating to war or conflict, because people are too spread out and you'll only end up with your tribe dying off.

I am okay with harsh, cruel or unforgiving gods, but I will no accept ones that are primarily destructive or ruinous in nature. The world is still close to that and it won't be a compelling story to accept such a player.

It is currently Monday my time, I will be looking to make a selection on Friday. You have roughly 96 hours to state your interest and repost your character!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm totally posting tomorrow by the way. Since there's so many plants/water gods I've been struggling to come up with an action but I finally decided to just help my mortal dudes get some river trade going, and similarly in the future just supporting the mortal civilization and making them the most powerful mortals around, but not by infusing them with divine power, just gently pushing them along the tech tree.
Hopefully they will go mad with hubris and attempt to kill me with nuclear weapons.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

More like everyone else bee-lining to infect them with mutations like its the clap.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Reposting this seeing as now I have remembered that I should probably actually advertise this in the recruitment megathread.

As JamezBfod so presciently anticipated, there is an opening for one player. Goru's player, Brainamp has dropped out and I find that 9 players suits me well with this game so I would like to replace him. If you have already apped and are interested in playing, please post a link to your original app or repost it and state your interest!

As we've had a few things change up by now, here are some things to think about in case you want to change up your powers:

Currently we have a good amount of plant and water gods. This was important at the start because the planet was a dry husk with barely any life left, but that is starting to change a lot. Likewise some of the gods are trying to look into a fix the weather, so that might be an area where you do not need to involve yourself in too much directly. At least for now.
However there is not a lot of animal life, and we are missing both numbers and diversity. It would be a good sphere of influence for now, with a chance to change to something else later based on whether you were a kindly god/dess or not.
Fertility would work well, the sentient peoples are finding their environmental stresses relaxing somewhat but their numbers are still relatively small.
Otherwise some kind of focus on civilisation and building it up would also work quite well.
Do not pick traits relating to arts or culture, as there's not a lot of people to make good use of them, or traits relating to war or conflict, because people are too spread out and you'll only end up with your tribe dying off.

I am okay with harsh, cruel or unforgiving gods, but I will no accept ones that are primarily destructive or ruinous in nature. The world is still close to that and it won't be a compelling story to accept such a player.

It is currently Friday my time, I will be looking to make a selection on Tuesday . You have roughly 96 hours to state your interest and repost your character!

If you have any questions, I and other players hang out in #ohgod on synirc. We will be happy to tell you about any events, suggestions for your god and anything questions you have about PDQ which is what the base system is built from. Otherwise you can post here or send my a PM and I'll try to respond swiftly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Prototype T Big T

An ancient bio-weapon. Big T is the strongest there ever was. He fought whole legions during the war and the enemies greatest war-machines and always emerged victories. He knows what it is to struggle, to give your all. To achieve victory through sheer willpower and weighing 20 times more than the other poor sorry bastard.

Trapped beneath the land at some point during the great wars before the land became completely inhospitable. Awakened from his centuries long slumber by a flood of divine energy he chewed his way to the surface. Now free, he roams the land once more as the uncontested lord of beasts. As far as he knows he is the only surviving member of his class of bio-weapons, he strides the land looking for a new purpose, and something to eat. Mostly for something to eat, he's been asleep so long and is so very, very hungry. A body as large as his doesn't run on starlight and fairy wishes; or at least it didn't use to...

Growth +2:Born a tiny newt, Big T grew into one of the largest, most fearsome predators to ever stalk Venetus. And then from there he grew into a god. If a little newt like him can accomplish all that; then, by Big T, you too can pull yourself up your own bootstraps and maybe a little banned bioengineering divine providence to become great too. Even plants ought to be able to manage it!

King of Beasts +2: Big T is the uncontested King of Beasts. The smart ones obey him, the slow and the foolish get eaten. Even beasts that don't exist yet are smart enough to create themselves in the shapes he desires rather than risk his wrath.

Oceans +2

Deformed -2: For whatever reason, his idiot designers gave him useless tiny arms. When he creates things, they tend to have at least one thing similarly disproportionate. This seems fun for just so stories about why e.g. giraffes have freaky long necks

Stupid -2: Prototype T was created as a weapon. In the opinion of his designers, thinking would just get in the way of that. His brain, actually, he has two of them, are ridiculously tiny for his size. He doesn't so much have thoughts as a set of extremely simple instincts. One of those instincts is a desire to please his handlers. Somehow, he's gotten it into his head that his worshipers are his handlers. As a result, he tries really hard to please his worshipers, he really does, but he doesn't always understand what they need.

Tribe: Annelida Sapiens - Annes

Like the earthworms they vaguely resemble, the Annes have no eyes and cannot see colors as others do. They had no need of eyes in their previous lives. Before the cataclysm they lived simple, peaceful lives burrowing through the soil, often only a few feet below the other races. As the climate worsened, even the vitality of the earth faded and the soil could no longer sustain them. Worse yet, their children were being born deformed. Born with legs and without the ability to burrow through through the ground. They had to leave the comforting embrace of the earth and scour the surface for food. Food was even scarcer above ground than below and they, like everyone else, found themselves cast adrift and forced to wander from place to place in a desperate bid to find enough to eat. It has been centuries since they first came to the surface and now their other senses compensate for their lack of eyes. They are still sensitive to vibrations in the ground, and to the vibrations in the minds of others.

Telepathic +2: Over time, they grew to sense each others minds directly, what they were thinking. Eventually, they learned to impose visions or their own thoughts on the minds of others. They can communicate this way, but they had to learn to do so carefully and gently least their intrusion damage each others minds or provoke nightmares. This tenderness carries over to every aspect of their lives. They care little for surface appearances and disdain ornamentation, seeking deeper truths in each others thoughts and souls.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 31, 2016

• Locked thread