Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Still have no idea why the robot screen showing a crying smiley face made me tear up. Guess I'm autistic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is it actually? I remember getting hyped for it, but I never saw it.

Yes, it was done by the guy who made Love (William Eubank), which focuses on a guy stranded alone on a space station, for which the entire set was built in his parent's backyard. For The Signal they gave him a budget of 3 million and Lawrence Fishburne, and he did a great job.

If you like Moon you should like The Signal as it has the same "what the hell is happening" Twilight Zone vibe then by the end everything makes sense.

The Signal suffered from some bad promotion as it wasn't promoted very heavily and the trailer they did make promoted the movie as some kind of horror film, which it isn't.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i HATE when my science fiction has lovely science it grinds my gears SO bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Moon was great until the computer who had been loving murdering people left and right for god knows how long just loving flipped to good guy who explained the plot to everyone

then it ended with a bunch of rednecks complaining on the radio

he flips to good guy cuz he really liked the current version of sam rockwell, its established early on thats its a paericularly nice version of himself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i couldnt get tru under the skin i found it really boring

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Xaris posted:

:hfive:

Equilibrum was one of my favorite movies in the early 2000s. whereas a lot of movies have a "heh, our movie IS stupid we know it! LOOK LOL ITS SO STUPID! *wink wink*" which actually detracts and just makes it flat out lovely and waste of everyone's time. but Equilbrium is completely serious in it's stupidness which actually makes it fun to watch

gently caress aeon flux though

I remembered liking equilibrium as a child and then recently saw it on netflix and was like "oh yeah, I remember that, it was kinda cool". turned it off after 5 minutes, what a pile of poo poo

just watch the matrix, it does equilibrium better than equilibrium does

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
OP could you update your post with all the sci fi movies listed here

lets make this into SCI FI MOVIE RESOURCE THREAD

TIA

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i liked moon so I should like this thread but am I gonna read five pages of gbs? nop

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

babypolis posted:

i couldnt get tru under the skin i found it really boring

In the end a guy who attempts to rape her reveals that she is really a monster under her skin and then the rapist kills her because she's a monster.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RAGE HOLE posted:

Under The Skin is very good and very creepy. Like Species except actually disturbing.

Under The Skin also has a Scarlett Johansson nude scene but it's unfortunately very disappointing.

Fewd posted:

In other news, everyone who like actual good scifi movies instead of hemorrhoids like Snowpiercer, should watch The Machine. It is a good movie.

It's also out on Netflix right now.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

keep recommending SF movies released in the last decade itt, my list isn't long enough yet and I have no will of my own

the weirder the better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

down with slavery posted:

I remembered liking equilibrium as a child and then recently saw it on netflix and was like "oh yeah, I remember that, it was kinda cool". turned it off after 5 minutes, what a pile of poo poo

just watch the matrix, it does equilibrium better than equilibrium does
oh... that's too bad. I admit I haven't seen it in probably 8 years (drat time flies) so maybe I'd have the same reaction. i think eq does have some good combat scenes (but mostly far and few between) that are better than some in the matrix

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fewd posted:

Equilibrium was pretty goddamned stupid too, but it's one of those movies that are so stupid the stupid meter overflows and the movie becomes good instead.

GBS threads about equilibrium were absolutely incredible.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like i remember pages upon pages of goons waxing poetic about the scene where the loving burmese mountain dog jumps up and licks patrick bateman's face and about how poignant and subtle it was

there were entire reading threads in whatever book barn was at the time for The Giver.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://youtu.be/-x1YuvUQFJ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avXZVgzLP68

What was the grey goo?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
yea but what's worse enjoying movies when you're a kid because you understand how to have fun with movies and not give a poo poo if the science parts of your fiction don't make a lot of sense or growing up and then being all smug about how stupid you were for having fun while you sit around all day online and criticize everything for not being STEM as gently caress

because I'd rather have the first thing since having fun is better than not having fun and I don't need to prove my self worth to myself by pointing out flaws in movies about a guy who does karate with guns

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it's called gun-kata, pleb

:goonsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how Looper intentionally sidestepped the whole nerd exposition for how the time travel process worked.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm just gonna come here and say the problem with sci fi right now is because people think they want loving sci fi and not sci fantasy, but they actually want sci fantasy, which can and will eschew with realism or science when it's cooler. This is a better model, and why I :rolleyes: when people bitch about realism in scifi movies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hemophilia posted:

I'm just gonna come here and say the problem with sci fi right now is because people think they want loving sci fi and not sci fantasy, but they actually want sci fantasy, which can and will eschew with realism or science when it's cooler. This is a better model, and why I :rolleyes: when people bitch about realism in scifi movies.

on a related note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Like, Dune is considered science fiction somehow, but show me where the science is. It's still the greatest sci fi book ever written though? Weird huh, how fantasy elements are often better than the way things really are.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Like, Dune is considered science fiction somehow, but show me where the science is. It's still the greatest sci fi book ever written though? Weird huh, how fantasy elements are often better than the way things really are.

things like interstellar travel, cloning and shields are pretty sci fi
:goonsay:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
sunshine is the best scifi movie of the 21st century, moon is alright, gravity and interstellar both moronic dogshit.

scifi doesn't have to be rigourously scientifically accurate and none of it really ever is, your poo poo's gotta be about ideas and interesting characters or it's going to suck.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

splifyphus posted:

sunshine is the best scifi movie of the 21st century, moon is alright, gravity and interstellar both moronic dogshit.

For this year Lucy and Transcendence were impressively bad.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fewd posted:

Equilibrium was pretty goddamned stupid too, but it's one of those movies that are so stupid the stupid meter overflows and the movie becomes good instead.

In other news, everyone who like actual good scifi movies instead of hemorrhoids like Snowpiercer, should watch The Machine. It is a good movie.

I wasn't saying that Equilibrium was bad, just that Snowpiercer seemed to also exist in a not quite fully thought out post-apocolypic dystopian future in which one grizzled white man is going to bring salvation to the masses. Equilibrium had better action, better story, and better "plot." It wasn't bad, it wasn't great but was leagues about Shitpiercer.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

No. 6 posted:

I wasn't saying that Equilibrium was bad
you should have been, that movie was poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Equilibrium gets points in my book for having a good plot twist in the film

Sean bean dies

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
has sean bean ever not died in media hes in?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

he survived an awful lot of Sharpe TV movies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:wth:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Goldeneye was ahead of its time because they killed Sean Bean... syke!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

black death had the best Sean Bean death IMO

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

god drat that post was a joke i just feel bad for the guy now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

god drat that post was a joke i just feel bad for the guy now

:cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJODirze5EM

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I love Shawn Bean.

Anyway, moon was pretty good. On par with Gattica.

While Prometheus has problems I feel like we would be far less critical of it wee it produced in the late 80's. Take that how you will but but in that very specific and limited sense it does fit in with the franchises other movies (excepting Alien, which stands out).

Sunshine was good, the twist worked for me, it wasn't Midnight Shama Lama Ding Dong style.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

No. 6 posted:

Interstellar has some hosed up science, but is mostly enjoyable.

look out, this goon here knows more about science than the several world-renowned physicists who have praised the film's handling of science

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Does Children of Men count as sci-fi? At the very least it's near-future dystopian.

And it loving owned. Definitely one of the best flicks of the 2000s.

[edit] efb on the 3rd page :mad:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

hemophilia posted:

splifyphus posted:

scifi doesn't have to be rigourously scientifically accurate and none of it really ever is, your poo poo's gotta be about ideas and interesting characters or it's going to suck.
The whole thing about science fiction is that the science and technology is fictional and not real jesus christ

Also Her is the best sci-fi of the 21st century. Children of Men is good too, and definitely sci-fi.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There are people who absolutely need their sci fi grounded in rational ideas and the fictional technology existing as somewhat believable future-tech, but frankly I'd rather just Star-Wars or Dune it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
Anyone who thinks that the answer isn't Upstream Color needs to go watch Upstream Color and cry about how wrong they were.

• Locked thread