Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
this film needs more love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
:gas:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
too boring

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Never seen it. What is it about?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's really really not, because the premise is frankly loving ridiculous and undermines any pretensions of being about "hard science," but it's entertaining and a welcome change of pace from most sci-fi movies in the last 15 years (same way District 9 and Primer were) and Sam Rockwell loving owns.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OP is right. A better scifi movie hasn't come out since.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Windows 98 posted:

Never seen it. What is it about?

falling asleep during the movie

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it was good but it's not the best anything of anything

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Sweet Tea posted:

it was good but it's not the best anything of anything

this thread is more about me acknowledging how bad recent scifi films have been. the only one that comes close is Sunshine, but the ending loving sucked.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

this thread is more about me acknowledging how bad recent scifi films have been. the only one that comes close is Sunshine, but the ending loving sucked.

i heard interstellar was cool but gently caress it if i have to leave the couch

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

down with slavery posted:

i heard interstellar was cool but gently caress it if i have to leave the couch

nah, interstellar was pretty poo poo, but still orders of magnitude better than prometheus

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nah, interstellar was pretty poo poo, but still orders of magnitude better than prometheus

gently caress you just had to mention Prometheus. Ok here we loving go

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Interstellar has some hosed up science, but is mostly enjoyable. Sunshine was OK but had a weird twist at the end which changed the whole feel of the film. Primer was pretty awesome but more cognitive than most.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ahh well, figures, better luck next time hollywood

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
ya it was alright pretty good no complaints from me too bad it got spoiiled for me way before i saw it but there you go what can you do somebody also spoi8led the sixth sense i eem to have a hard time avoiding spoilers for movies that depend mostly on twists

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Someone in another thread said it, and I agree. Interstellar is the good kind of movie where you really experience it and enjoy it and then afterwards you realize maybe it wasn't THAT great (insert every other Nolan movie here). Prometheus had scene after scene where suspension of disbelief simply wasn't possible.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Sunshine was better than Moon, though. Even factoring in the end.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Moon was fantastic. Also check out Europa Report.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
primer was loving terrible. beyond the black rainbow was better than that poo poo. also gravity was p dope.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
i like moon.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beyond the Black Rainbow owns unimaginably.

gently caress that movie owns.

Don't know if it's really primarily sci-fi though, it's more a psychological thriller than anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Primer is loving awful to watch but you begrudgingly have to respect it simply because the director sperged out to an insane degree and legitimately made a complex-rear end time travel movie.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

edge of tomorrow was a very good sci fi and arguably better than moon or sunshine.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

primer was loving terrible.

I will straight up physically assault you over this post

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sweet Tea posted:

edge of tomorrow was a very good sci fi and arguably better than moon or sunshine.

Yeah that movie was good too.

Edge of my Anus.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Volume posted:

Moon was fantastic. Also check out Europa Report.

Was OK. 2.5 stars, not worth more than 1 viewing. LOL if you didn't like Primer.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Under the skin is p. good

Also chronocrimenes is a better time travel film than primer. More titties and didn't piss me off.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweet Tea posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was legit and completely succeeded at being what it wanted to be, although the third act loving dragged and it's not terribly smart. I mean it's not trying to be smart like Prometheus or Moon were so it's easier to cut it slack, but still I think it'll go down on the lower end of the "sci-fi classics" spectrum if anywhere. Emily Blunt was also hot as all gently caress in it, and they wisely had her do that yoga pose as many times as possible.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQynViAF6Ds

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Didn't they make moon for like 2 mill? That in its self is kind of impressive right? I enjoyed the film when I saw it but it was limited release so I saw it by my self like some kind of cretin.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ive had moon sitting on my hard drive for years and ive not seen it and i forgout about it, will probably watch it lates no, thank sop.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I really appreciated that the computer wasn't an evil manipulator, it was just a cool dude looking out for his friend :3:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Saw him live two weeks ago. Good guy.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was legit and completely succeeded at being what it wanted to be, although the third act loving dragged and it's not terribly smart. I mean it's not trying to be smart like Prometheus or Moon were so it's easier to cut it slack, but still I think it'll go down on the lower end of the "sci-fi classics" spectrum if anywhere. Emily Blunt was also hot as all gently caress in it, and they wisely had her do that yoga pose as many times as possible.

i agree with this generally but i don't think prometheus, moon, or sunshine are going to be considered sci fi classics of any sort either. at least with edge of tomorrow i left the theater thinking they did a great job with that movie. probably the best utilization of tom cruise in any of the action sci fi flicks he's been in, too. an unusually underrated film, possibly because of tom cruise being cast as the protagonist, but you can't really argue with his performance (although i hate him)

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

MegaGatts posted:

I really appreciated that the computer wasn't an evil manipulator, it was just a cool dude looking out for his friend :3:

same. I was glad when they dodged this in interstellar too. evil AI is so played out. like almost zombie levels of played out

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone see Cloud Atlas?

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Weird typo in the thread name, OP. I think you meant TiMER?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweet Tea posted:

i agree with this generally but i don't think prometheus, moon, or sunshine are going to be considered sci fi classics of any sort either. at least with edge of tomorrow i left the theater thinking they did a great job with that movie. probably the best utilization of tom cruise in any of the action sci fi flicks he's been in, too. an unusually underrated film, possibly because of tom cruise being cast as the protagonist, but you can't really argue with his performance (although i hate him)

Prometheus is definitely not going into the "classics" bin. "Moon" and "Sunshine" are going to get placed there for a while but come 10-30 years they'll just be cult favorites if they're remembered at all.

And yeah Edge of Tomorrow uses Tom Cruise insanely well. It plays off the fact that a lot of people don't like him by making him a scumbag right off the bat and then spends the first two acts literally having him get decency pounded into him by all manner of physical nastiness. It's the same reason people who passed on Scott Pilgrim because they hate Michael Cera should have really given it a shot because that movie does basically the same thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

Anyone see Cloud Atlas?

Cloud Atlas is the biggest silent fart of a movie I've heard of in recent memory. Absolutely no one I know in real life has seen it or even knows about it, but the stench of it keeps lingering in the corner where film buffs sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Top City Homo posted:

Anyone see Cloud Atlas?

I actually loved that movie. What a weird retarded but awesome movie.

• Locked thread