Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

this film needs more love

Liarbot is bestbot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

boom boom boom posted:

In the end a guy who attempts to rape her reveals that she is really a monster under her skin and then the rapist kills her because she's a monster.

Oh poo poo that's what that movie is. I watched that probably no more than a month ago and I seriously do not remember a goddamn thing from it other than the scene where her skin gets ripped off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For another recommendation that hasn't been mentioned yet is Splice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIeSYhipUs

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Jesus Christ posted:

Oh poo poo that's what that movie is. I watched that probably no more than a month ago and I seriously do not remember a goddamn thing from it other than the scene where her skin gets ripped off

One of the reasons why I sincerely love Under the Skin is because it lures you in with the promise of alien sex and Scarlett Johansson naked and then you realize too late you are trapped in a movie theater watching a high concept, frequently deeply unpleasant arthouse film.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RAGE HOLE posted:

One of the reasons why I sincerely love Under the Skin is because it is a movie that lures you in with the promise of alien sex and Scarlett Johansson naked and then you realize too late you are trapped in a theater watching a high concept, frequently deeply unpleasant arthouse film.

Species was a more uplifting death by sexy time film premise

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RAGE HOLE posted:

One of the reasons why I sincerely love Under the Skin is because it lures you in with the promise of alien sex and Scarlett Johansson naked and then you realize too late you are trapped in a movie theater watching a high concept, frequently deeply unpleasant arthouse film.

I liked the part where the mild-mannered, boring dude takes in a beautiful, child-like woman who it turns out is an alien and falls in love with him. Because it was literally exactly like my Japanese animes.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
What was that film where the world has been overrun by hipsters who end up loving their mobile phones?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Also if TV is allowed in this thread 'Black Mirror' loving owned.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I know it was a zombie movie, not sci-fi, but I've seen nothing but people saying good things about The Battery and I just wanna say I turned it off fifteen minutes in because it was bad

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Moon owned but Source Code was a huge steaming pile of poo poo. and duncan jones is now making a warcraft movie what the gently caress

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Jesus Christ posted:

Also if TV is allowed in this thread 'Black Mirror' loving owned.

I had a really hard time watching the third episode (the memory rewatch one) and after talking to friends, we all sort of divided on which one we had a hard time with. My friend had a hard time with 3, but his fiancee struggled to watch 4, etc.

It says something about a scifi show that it's so real and human that it makes you uncomfortable to watch because of your own issues.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I thought that it was pretty clever they did this (Moon spoiler):

http://imgur.com/6y8na3e

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

hemophilia posted:

Like, Dune is considered science fiction somehow, but show me where the science is. It's still the greatest sci fi book ever written though?

It's actually Gravity's Rainbow

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah, Moon is great. I thought the remake of Solaris was pretty good. That was before I watched the original though.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

Arcaeris posted:

I had a really hard time watching the third episode (the memory rewatch one) and after talking to friends, we all sort of divided on which one we had a hard time with. My friend had a hard time with 3, but his fiancee struggled to watch 4, etc.

It says something about a scifi show that it's so real and human that it makes you uncomfortable to watch because of your own issues.

Black Mirror is great but yes, the memory episode is some of the most uncomfortable media I have ever watched. I absolutely can't stand the pig loving episode only because I feel the situation and concept are just too absurd.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
The 21st century isn't technically over yet so there could still be a johnny come lately contender.If the judging panel are into watching a guy driving round on the moon though, Moon will certainly be the best scifi movie of the 21st century.I prefer watching a train go round and round the world though so I thought Snowpiercer was better.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

honestly mass effect 1 had a pretty loving great story

i know that opinion is autistic as hell but whatever

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Like, Dune is considered science fiction somehow, but show me where the science is. It's still the greatest sci fi book ever written though? Weird huh, how fantasy elements are often better than the way things really are.

The argument for Dune being science fiction is the ecology of the worms and the planet.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its good

really

its a good movie

it aint that fuckin good though

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Moon owned but Source Code was a huge steaming pile of poo poo. and duncan jones is now making a warcraft movie what the gently caress

i was pretty loving excited for Source Code after loving Moon and i can't put into words just how utterly disappointed i was. with the warcraft movie coming up i can only assume duncan jones spent all the ability he had on Moon and will now produce nothing more of any value

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

honestly mass effect 1 had a pretty loving great story

i know that opinion is autistic as hell but whatever

humanity travels into space just to bone blue aliens? .

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Helical Nightmares posted:

The argument for Dune being science fiction is the ecology of the worms and the planet.

And also the massive scale of the Universe.

It's really more space opera...

and it's perfect.

And I really wish someone would take Jodrowsky's poo poo and make it an HBO series or some poo poo.

Obviously tame it down just a little bit. He apparently wanted to take some really strange artistic licenses...but he's the right amount of strange to make that happen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I saw this like 2 weeks ago and it was good

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

etalian posted:

humanity travels into space just to bone blue aliens? .

It really is a pretty great scifi story about how a bunch of very different cultures struggle to work together. The first game reminded me a lot of Star Trek that way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

And also the massive scale of the Universe.

It's really more space opera...

and it's perfect.

And I really wish someone would take Jodrowsky's poo poo and make it an HBO series or some poo poo.

Obviously tame it down just a little bit. He apparently wanted to take some really strange artistic licenses...but he's the right amount of strange to make that happen.

Cool ship design, makes me things of those neat Terran Trade Authority books

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MegaGatts posted:

I really appreciated that the computer wasn't an evil manipulator, it was just a cool dude looking out for his friend :3:
Laughed at " The new Sam and I will return to our original programming :) "

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

roymorrison posted:

Why was prometheus so bad? Like I know what made it bad, but why the gently caress did anybody greenlight that thing. It's like watching a teenage slasher flick from the 90s level of bad as far as characters actions. I mean nomi rapace loving runs in a straight line away from a big rolling space ship. The first two guys just straight inexplicably wander off and get fucken owned. What the hell? I mean it's dumb poo poo that I expect characters in a cartoon to do. Like one of the characters being a furry wouldn't have been out of place, that's how bad it is.
"I'm the alien expert. Let me tell you how loving terrified I am about meeting aliens!"
"This alien structure and these alien corpses are super creepy."
"The drone vanished. I hope aliens didn't get it!"

"Oh look at this cute alien snake let's get real up close to it."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jackard posted:

"I'm the alien expert. Let me tell you how loving terrified I am about meeting aliens!"
"This alien structure and these alien corpses are super creepy."
"The drone vanished. I hope aliens didn't get it!"

"Oh look at this cute alien snake let's get real up close to it."

who wouldn't want to play with a dick pussy combination monster?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ridley scott makes a movie explicitly about how human beings are dumb and clueless and god's excrement, goons whine for years that it doesn't portray a band of ancient alien conspiracy theorists on a mission for a dying rich egomaniac as rational and cautious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
prometheus is basically a sci-fi version of this crossed with this and it owns

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 26, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I watched Interstellar. What the gently caress was that bullshit with the black hole? I was watching a decent, if overly slow, film about science and then this poo poo pops up. I should've expected this after that crap with the ghost in the beginning but god dammit.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
It's strange to me that no one in this thread seems to realize that The Fountain was a sci-fi movie.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

SunAndSpring posted:

I watched Interstellar. What the gently caress was that bullshit with the black hole? I was watching a decent, if overly slow, film about science and then this poo poo pops up. I should've expected this after that crap with the ghost in the beginning but god dammit.

I wish people would stop complaining about plot devices in sci-fi films.

There was some really solid science in that movie. 1 minor issue about a plot device that could have been anything else.

Deal with it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

SunAndSpring posted:

yeah its hard to understand things that are explicitely explained in the dialogue

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Wizard of Poz posted:

yeah its hard to understand things that are explicitely explained in the dialogue

I know what it was, you dick, but it doesn't mesh with the rest of the film. We get a bunch of hard science and then THE FUTURE ASCENDED HUMANS MADE A 3RD DIMENSIONAL TIME PLANE AND SENT COOP TO IT TO USE THE POWER OF LOVE TO FIND HIS DAUGHTER AND GIVE HER AN EQUATION BECAUSE THE FUTURE HUMANS COULDN'T FIND HER. Felt like something that would've had a better place in a Spielberg movie.

Film was decent, though, and had some great moments like the docking scene and the videos from home 23 years after Cooper's departure.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

"the black hole stuff in interstellar actually bothers you" should be added to the official pathology of autism

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

It's strange to me that no one in this thread seems to realize that The Fountain was a sci-fi movie.
I thought it was cool at the time but totally forgot about it until you posted, no joke

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Kanada's Death Pt.2 (Adagio in D minor) is the realest poo poo of all time in the realest movie of all time: Sunshine

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i liked europa report but the ending was a huge meh, these movies need like double plot twists or something like yah aliens great, i expected that all along so its not really a plot twist but how about aliens and then something else, like how moon handled the reveal, it wasnt the end of the movie there was more too it

watched half of monsters and had to turn it off, holy i didnt sign on for a slightly dangerous monster movie where main guy is some loner party boy photographer perpetually friend zoned probably until the final scene where he gets the girl, i wouldnt know because i couldnt take any more of it

makes cloverfield look like high art

watching sunshine now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

numberoneposter posted:

i liked europa report but the ending was a huge meh