Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

Primer is loving awful to watch but you begrudgingly have to respect it simply because the director sperged out to an insane degree and legitimately made a complex-rear end time travel movie.

What? Primer is beautifully shot, it's an absolute joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I loving dare you to try to find a single ugly frame in Primer.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

It looks, sounds, and feels exactly like what it is-- an engineer making a movie. I find this insufferable but I'm not everyone so your mileage may certainly vary.

I don't know what you mean by that

mind the walrus posted:

A valid challenge and if you want to call me a bitch for not taking you up on it that's fair (I am being a lazy bitch) but really the only reason you're saying that is because you know I'm not going to bother to do it.

It wasn't an actual challenge, I was just pointing out that every shot in that movie is basically perfect. And I don't just mean visually, there's not a single thing in that movie you could take out that wouldn't harm the overall thing. Primer is basically a perfect movie.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Here's a fun fact about Predator 2. It's not supposed to take place during an unusually hot summer, the director just assumed that all summers would be that hot by the far-off sci-fi year of 1997 because of global warming.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

Technically proficient but cold, dull, and unengaging while simultaneously expecting the audience to groove on the same semi-autistic wavelength of its creator. Some people can, some can't, and some can but find it boring so gently caress that noise (me).

I don't know what you mean by semi-autistic, it's entirely about the emotions and reactions of the two main characters. I guess if you can't empathize with the two dudes you wouldn't be able to be engaged by it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The new Planet of the Apes series has good parts, but they both spend too much time on boring human-ape relationships, and in the second one they could have replaced all the human characters with mannequins wheeled around on dollies by stagehands and it wouldn't have negatively effected the movie.

Xaris posted:

seen everything else and i more or less agree with that but i never saw this. is this movie good?

also if you're being technically 2000+, what about Pitch Black??

Monsters is good, but it drags in places because it was mostly the actors wandering around mexico ad-libing all the dialogue.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

down with slavery posted:

lol if you watch superhero movies and are above the age of 14

look at this loser, doesn't know about Zebraman

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

babypolis posted:

i couldnt get tru under the skin i found it really boring

In the end a guy who attempts to rape her reveals that she is really a monster under her skin and then the rapist kills her because she's a monster.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RAGE HOLE posted:

One of the reasons why I sincerely love Under the Skin is because it lures you in with the promise of alien sex and Scarlett Johansson naked and then you realize too late you are trapped in a movie theater watching a high concept, frequently deeply unpleasant arthouse film.

I liked the part where the mild-mannered, boring dude takes in a beautiful, child-like woman who it turns out is an alien and falls in love with him. Because it was literally exactly like my Japanese animes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I know it was a zombie movie, not sci-fi, but I've seen nothing but people saying good things about The Battery and I just wanna say I turned it off fifteen minutes in because it was bad

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

numberoneposter posted:

i liked europa report but the ending was a huge meh, these movies need like double plot twists or something like yah aliens great, i expected that all along so its not really a plot twist but how about aliens and then something else, like how moon handled the reveal, it wasnt the end of the movie there was more too it

watched half of monsters and had to turn it off, holy i didnt sign on for a slightly dangerous monster movie where main guy is some loner party boy photographer perpetually friend zoned probably until the final scene where he gets the girl, i wouldnt know because i couldnt take any more of it

makes cloverfield look like high art

watching sunshine now

Monsters is worth it for the end with the scene where the monsters meet each other.

Between Monsters and Godzilla, the guy has a director trademark of giant monster sex

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Professor Shark posted:

gently caress, I was hoping I could respond to Joe's post in time... Upstream Color is made by the same guy who did Primer, but unlike Primer it's a really, really loving terrible movie and the director decided to become an actor and he sucks at it and the whole movie is just poo poo.

Dude, I down't want to blow your mind, but look up the name of the director of Upstream Color and Primer, and then look up the name of the actor who played Aaron in Primer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

• Locked thread