Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
How did we get to page 7 without anyone mentioning the droids powered by retarded space eels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the gently caress did i just read

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

gohuskies posted:

Boba Fett was eaten by and escaped from the Sarlacc twice actually, the second time shortly after he escaped from the first.

While he fired at Luke, in his obsession with capturing the Jedi, he failed to notice Solo. Solo, still semi-blind from hibernation sickness, accidentally activated Fett's manual controls on his jet pack by waving a staff wildly behind him, rocketing the hunter against the sail barge and bouncing down to the sand, rolling right into the waiting maw of the Sarlacc.

Knowledge of this incident eventually made its way into Deal-slang in the shape of the expression "boba-ize", which meant to do something unintelligent which would jeopardize or potentially ruin a deal, implying that falling into the Sarlacc was considered the result of stupidity in the eyes of the speakers of Deal-slang.

But the Sarlacc could never hold Fett. Thanks to his iron will and Mandalorian armor, Fett was able to fight his way out of the beast's belly. After escaping, Fett was found by a group of Jawas who took him to be either a droid or cyborg, never bothering to scan him, and claimed him as their own under the impression he was an unintelligent being. They took him into their sandcrawler, fitted him with a restraining bolt, and went on their way.

Fett was later joined by a familiar face when the Jawas stole R2-D2 from a hangar bay in Mos Eisley. R2-D2 immediately recognized Fett, but the meeting was interrupted as Han Solo and Leia Organa attacked the sandcrawler in an attempt to get R2 back. It was at this point that Fett awoke for the first time since being freed from the Sarlacc, just in time to see Solo enter the sandcrawler in his attempt to rescue R2. Unfortunately, the sandcrawler had been damaged during Han's attempts to enter it and so was on a collision course with the Sarlacc. The Jawas were too busy to fix it, as they had just been attacked by Tusken Raiders. Solo was as surprised as R2 had been to find Fett alive once more, but somehow, Fett had temporarily lost his memory and in fact helped Solo rescue R2 from the doomed sandcrawler. Though against his better judgment, Solo then tried to help Fett escape also, as he couldn't leave a helpless man to die.

Unfortunately for Fett, it was at this point that his memory came back due to Leia shouting Han's name repeatedly. Fett fired on the unarmed Solo before he managed to free him from the sandcrawler, causing Solo to jump onto the sand. The sandcrawler, with Fett still in it, crashed into the mouth of the Sarlacc, trapping Fett once more. Solo once more thought that Fett was dead.

After conversing with a fellow captive, the Choi known as Susejo, Fett discovered that this being was actually psychologically connected to the Sarlacc—and it was this advantage that he used to goad the creature into contracting around his jet pack, igniting the device and providing his means of escape. The resulting explosion, combined with the beast's acidic stomach juices, left Fett on the verge of death. As he lay dying on the surface of Tatooine, his colleague Dengar was searching for anything valuable left from the explosion, but found Boba Fett instead, and nursed him back to health.

Wait what, I knew about the Dengar-finding-Fett one, but I didn't realize that Fett escaped the sarlacc before that only to get re-eaten by one. :psyduck:

And I have a photo of Boba Fett signed by Jeremy Bulloch above my computer right now! Yet even I have much to learn about the nonsense in the EU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Howard Beale posted:

is lego star wars canon

I would buy a lego star wars cannon

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"you can't take that bounty, boba, it's on tatooine and you know what happens every time you go there"
"don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine this time and besides, we're going nowhere near the sarlaac p

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
remember that species in crystal star that look exactly like humans except they're see-through and if they had sex with a human it would kill them, but despite knowing this a lot of them still want to have sex with humans

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

George Lucas made a character named Chewbacca (nickname Chewie), a loner character named Han Solo, a hero character named Luke Skywalker (named after himself), and an evil villain named Darth Vader (darth sounds like dark except with a weird sound on the end, and vader is short for invader).

but B.J. Dart or Darth Insanicus or whatever are somehow beyond the pale. newsflash: they're all loving retarded names springing from the diseased mind of a permanent child. the first two movies were good by accident but they were populated by retarded, one-dimensional stock characters with cringeworthy names and simple, predictable character arcs.

what eveyrone doesn't seem to understand is that Star Wars is Bad. the EU and the prequels are bad because they are 100% Star Wars in every way, and STar Wars is a loving terrible idea. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were flukes, and even they were only good, not great. they are very entertaining movies but they aren't great cinema.

Star Wars was ruined because george lucas wouldn't let it die back in the 80s, not because he somehow changed it for the worse. only once you understand this solemn fact can you be relieved of the burden of your disappointment. i dislike Lucas because of the terrible trends he inspired in mainstream cinema, not because he ruined Star Wars. i don't really care about Star Wars per se, and neither should you, if you are an adult

lol just how many Star Wars toys do you own then?

Star Wars OT owns by any measure.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Cnut the Great posted:

jedi good, sith bad. they fight with pew pew lasers then the bad guy does a bad thing and turns the republic evil. anakin was never actually a good person, he was a hosed up murderer right from the start. the republic is only evil because there's an all-powerful evil man controlling everything. george lucas is a simple minded fool.

I mean the whole prequal arc is basically a simplification of the Roman civil wars.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foyes36 posted:

I mean the whole prequal arc is basically a simplification of the Roman civil wars.

Oh I thought it was a metaphor for Hitler.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Applewhite posted:

Oh I thought it was a metaphor for Hitler.

That also works.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

platedlizard posted:

remember that species in crystal star that look exactly like humans except they're see-through and if they had sex with a human it would kill them, but despite knowing this a lot of them still want to have sex with humans

i dont think youre remembering just about any of the details of that properly

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So basically, whatever you mind can conceive, has actually happened within the realm of the EU.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
including sex changing mood swinging pregnant hutts

*not a joke

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

FizFashizzle posted:

as bad as the EU was generally the thrawn trilogy loving ruled, was actually competently written, and if they had any sense they'd just have made that episodes 7, 8, and 9
I tried reading these and my only expectations were that it'd be a fun romp with lasers and Star Wars poo poo but they were just too badly written to enjoy. Stuff like spending pages upon pages explaining the logistics of some mining system's transport infrastructure that has no relevance whatsoever and no sense of pacing or urgency. You're in the middle of a gunfight and then time just stops as the characters have a nice long conversation.

It read like a first draft, really. If these things had been corrected in editing as they should be it could have been alright.

also

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ugh! How many aspiring Jedis force choked themselves to this?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

i dont think youre remembering just about any of the details of that properly

Well I only read it once when I was 12 so you might be right

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
I had the Lando trilogy of books where Lando smuggled poo poo in the Milennium Falcon and had a robot buddy named Vuffi Ra and he played a TON of Space Blackjack. To 10 year old me, those book owned.

Am I gonna be disappointed if I go back and try to read that again?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

platedlizard posted:

Well I only read it once when I was 12 so you might be right

this seems to be a common thread among people who like star wars

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cnut the Great posted:

but B.J. Dart or Darth Insanicus or whatever are somehow beyond the pale. newsflash: they're all loving retarded names springing from the diseased mind of a permanent child

no you see the problem is that george lucas grew up so now he's not even creative anymore

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i remember there was some guy who was Han Solo but not really named Talon Karrde and his ship was the Wild Karrde and he was from Correllia because naturally

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
someone post that picture of boba fett with his wife and child still wearing that armor

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

this seems to be a common thread among people who like star wars

It's all fond childhood memories.

That said, absolutely no one of any age liked Crystal Star.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

paranoid randroid posted:

i remember there was some guy who was Han Solo but not really named Talon Karrde and his ship was the Wild Karrde and he was from Correllia because naturally

He was way more 80s than Han Solo though:

Also his second-in-command was Mara Jade who of course later got married to Luke.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
heres my new star wars EU character, Splint Goesfast. keep an eye out for his seven book series about making out with hot aliens and hi-5ing lando calrissian

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

heres my new star wars EU character, Splint Goesfast. keep an eye out for his seven book series about making out with hot aliens and hi-5ing lando calrissian

afaik the only good EU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

gohuskies posted:

He was way more 80s than Han Solo though:

Also his second-in-command was Mara Jade who of course later got married to Luke.

Even better, Mara Jade was the Emperor's private assassin and of course was Force-trained but hadn't completely gone over to the dark side for Reasons. She started out trying to kill Luke but of course he turns her and eventually they get married and have kids.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

If there is any goodness in the world, this will be the trailer released this weekend

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
my new star wars character is expanding massive blackhole

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

platedlizard posted:

Even better, Mara Jade was the Emperor's private assassin and of course was Force-trained but hadn't completely gone over to the dark side for Reasons. She started out trying to kill Luke but of course he turns her and eventually they get married and have kids.

And it even turns out that one of the background dancers at Jabba's palace added in the new CGI footage happens to be Mara Jade undercover on her mission to get Luke:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That just reminds me of how in the MMO The Old Republic the "smuggler" class' outfit is what Han wore in the first movie, because that's obviously what all smugglers wear and not just a character's outfit. Its just like how in the first movie Luke and Obi Wan wear robes and that somehow becomes the Jedi outfit instead of just something people wear in a desert.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That just reminds me of how in the MMO The Old Republic the "smuggler" class' outfit is what Han wore in the first movie, because that's obviously what all smugglers wear and not just a character's outfit. Its just like how in the first movie Luke and Obi Wan wear robes and that somehow becomes the Jedi outfit instead of just something people wear in a desert.

Or how parts of Darth Vader's suit ended up becoming Jedi armor in Clone Wars. It's not just something he wore, it's what Jedi wear when they go to battle.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Super Duper Double Platinum Special Edition Footage
George Lucas' actual factual real original vision of Jedi attire

they greenscreen that into lightsabers in post

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

burritolingus posted:

You know, Star Wars Rebels isn't all that bad. I didn't care for the cgi Clone Wars but Rebels is alright. It'd be a lot better if it weren't for the kid character. He should be a bit older, like more Luke's age in the original film, and less annoying. Or scrap him altogether, because it isn't like there aren't other characters on that show that couldn't be interesting if they were given the spotlight. And those are all the words I have right now for a children's television cartoon.

It feels like the whole "picked up force-sensitive orphan, who's then trained by Jedi who doesn't really know what he's doing himself" is kind of how they should have done Anakin Skywalker's beginnings.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FizFashizzle posted:

remember when the dude poisoned mon mothma by throwing a poison drink in her face that he was allowed to bring into the ultra high security ball dance or whatever
I do, but frankly that was one of the least unbelievably stupid aspects of the Jedi Academy trilogy. Out of all its indescribably infuriating idiocy, a few things stand out in particular:

- Daala being a complete imbecile from start to finish, even though she's presented at first like she's a female Thrawn or whatever
- wossname the Sith ghost manifests his presence at first by trying to corrupt one of Luke's students, but ends up burning him to death through the Force; eventually he teams up with Kyp and instead of setting fire to Luke as well, he separates his spirit from his body; not satisfied with this impermanent solution, however, he then Force-controls a bunch of jungle birds for the purpose of pecking Luke to death
- confronted with wossname's harebrained scheme, Luke enlists toddler Jacen Solo's aid (via the Force, obviously) and makes him haphazardly wave his uncle's lightsaber at the jungle birds
- the Force in general being capable of absolutely anything if the plot requires it
- the loving Sun Crusher

But really, the entire trilogy is horrific.

Karrde led a big smuggling operation and was the cool, calculating type, not a smalltime one-liners-spouting gunslinger. You're looking for Dash Rendar (who is extremely silly) and probably Atton Rand (who is extremely angsty and unfunny).

gohuskies posted:

And it even turns out that one of the background dancers at Jabba's palace added in the new CGI footage happens to be Mara Jade undercover on her mission to get Luke:

Zahn's books came out years before the Special Edition, though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Zahn's books came out years before the Special Edition, though.

That's from a Zahn short story that came out after the Thrawn trilogy, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sleight_of_Hand:_The_Tale_of_Mara_Jade

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

gohuskies posted:

That's from a Zahn short story that came out after the Thrawn trilogy, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sleight_of_Hand:_The_Tale_of_Mara_Jade
That particular story may have been written later, but I'm 99% sure it's already revealed in the Thrawn books (I think in Heir to the Empire, actually) that Mara was undercover on Jabba's barge, gunning for Luke.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The worst thing from the EU is the voice acting for the wookiee with a speech impediment from the thrawn trilogy audiobooks.

He sounds like a retard trying to do a yogi the bear impression

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

The worst thing from the EU is the voice acting for the wookiee with a speech impediment from the thrawn trilogy audiobooks.

He sounds like a retard trying to do a yogi the bear impression
I can respect Zahn's desire to give an intelligible (not to mention actually intelligent) voice to the Wookiees, but the concept of giving this one Wookiee a speech impediment that somehow made him able to speak Basic was always really ill-conceived.

Also, on the topic of Wookiees:

quote:

The Wookiee's Codpiece was a cantina on the planet of Nim Drovis. The walls were lined with a pink, plush material. In 13 ABY, the 3PO-series protocol droid C-3PO auditioned to perform music in the Codpiece so he could earn money to leave the planet with his counterpart, R2-D2. The assistant manager of the Wookiee's Codpiece compared his performance to that of a festering jizz-box and turned him away, saying that the cantina already had one of those in a corner.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee%27s_Codpiece

I mean uh where to begin

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mae posted:

Can someone find the wookiepedia article for that guy who was in frame running with a ice cream machine for exactly 1 second? That's my favourite

i bought the figurine of this guy to give as a White Elephant present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sombrerotron posted:

I can respect Zahn's desire to give an intelligible (not to mention actually intelligent) voice to the Wookiees, but the concept of giving this one Wookiee a speech impediment that somehow made him able to speak Basic was always really ill-conceived.

Also, on the topic of Wookiees:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee%27s_Codpiece

I mean uh where to begin

mods namechange pls

• Locked thread