Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Henceforth is a new thread to share your favorite Netflix (and perhaps other sources, such as Hulu and Amazon Prime) streaming material.

:siren::siren::siren:If you see something you want to stream but it isn't available in your region, you should try using HOLA (https://www.hola.org) to trick the content provider into letting you watch it!:siren::siren::siren:

I'll start!

Gilmore Girls

As you've probably deduced from the all-female cast filled with hateful, unsympathetic characters, The Gilmore Girls is a show written and directed by Jenji Kohan, a living muppet who is also responsible for Orange is the New Black and Weeds--two other shows that are also available on Netflix Streaming and filled with equally lovely, unsympathetic leads.

The show focuses on self-absorbed Lorelei Gilmore, resident witch who, at the tender age of sixteen, gives birth to a doll (Alexis Bledel) in her billionaire parents' East Coast mansion. For the next seven years, we watch as the doll turns into a nervous, self-doubting creature that squanders her Ivy League education and comes to resent her own existence. As the doll grows more obstinate, the two characters frequently go to war with each other. However, at the end of most episodes, we can see them kiss and make up; the show's recurring theme is "martyrdom". There is rarely an episode where one character isn't flinging him or herself on another's sword to win the approval of somebody they secretly hate.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This thread is of interest to me.

I'll recommend a movie that I was turned onto from the previous thread, Mr Nobody, the storyline is out-there/disjointed but I think the weirdness is worth it.

edit: Also a mod should change the thread tag since OP don't know how to OP right.

tangy yet delightful has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 26, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I really liked The Booth at the End, which was exclusive to Hulu I think.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the-booth-at-the-end/s01/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1554369/

It's spooky.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I gotta say, I didn't think I'd like Orphan Black but man it was super good. It's a BBC America production with season one on Amazon Prime. It was actually good enough that I went and paid to watch the second season right away because I just couldn't wait for them to put it up on Prime (and it was very much worth it).

Edit: I just want to add that even though at first glance the show seems like your typical mistaken identity/one actress plays two parts type of thing it ramps up fairly quickly into creepy clone mindfuck territory with the one actress playing like 6 different characters that all feel like genuinely different people, often interacting with each other absolutely seamlessly. The way they put it all together is a technical masterpiece in my opinion, and I don't know how she manages it but Tatyana Maslany (the lead actress) does an absolutely amazing job at holding all of it together. I can't recommend it enough, it's really really good.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Nov 27, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Totally TWISTED posted:

This thread is of interest to me.

I'll recommend a movie that I was turned onto from the previous thread, Mr Nobody, the storyline is out-there/disjointed but I think the weirdness is worth it.

edit: Also a mod should change the thread tag since OP don't know how to OP right.

Hey, gently caress you, pal.

This thread will get an appropriate tag when That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix Streaming again. Peep Show is an alright substitute, though...to complement the holiday season, I recommend S7E5 "Season Beatings".

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Henceforth is a new thread to share your favorite Netflix (and perhaps other sources, such as Hulu and Amazon Prime) streaming material.

I'll start!

Gilmore Girls

As you've probably deduced from the all-female cast filled with hateful, unsympathetic characters, The Gilmore Girls is a show written and directed by Jenji Kohan, a living muppet who is also responsible for Orange is the New Black and Weeds--two other shows that are also available on Netflix Streaming and filled with equally lovely, unsympathetic leads.

The show focuses on self-absorbed Lorelei Gilmore, resident witch who, at the tender age of sixteen, gives birth to a doll (Alexis Bledel) in her billionaire parents' East Coast mansion. For the next seven years, we watch as the doll turns into a nervous, self-doubting creature that squanders her Ivy League education and comes to resent her own existence. As the doll grows more obstinate, the two characters frequently go to war with each other. However, at the end of most episodes, we can see them kiss and make up; the show's recurring theme is "martyrdom". There is rarely an episode where one character isn't flinging him or herself on another's sword to win the approval of somebody they secretly hate.

I.... I don't know if you want me to watch this or not

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
No one watch Snowpiercer, we all agreed in the last thread that it was the worst thing ever

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This thread will get an appropriate tag when That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix Streaming again. Peep Show is an alright substitute, though...to complement the holiday season, I recommend S7E5 "Season Beatings".

I think M&W are pretty much all available on youtube if you like poo poo quality.

Weird thing about that show is, thanks to goons constantly linking clips of it I think I've seen pretty much all the good material already.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix UK, along with other gems like Black Books, Utopia and Black Mirror. If you have a netflix US (non-DVD) sub, you can use Hola (hola.org) or any other location-spoofing method to watch those. Utopia and Black Mirror alone are worth the hassle, quality miniseries. Black books & Mitchell and Webb are just bonuses at that point.

Utopia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfJNIMGXx4

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Nov 27, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fishstick posted:

That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix UK, along with other gems like Black Books, Utopia and Black Mirror. If you have a netflix US (non-DVD) sub, you can use Hola (hola.org) or any other location-spoofing method to watch those. Utopia and Black Mirror alone are worth the hassle, quality miniseries. Black books & Mitchell and Webb are just bonuses at that point.

Thanks for reminding me--nobody usually reads to OPs in these threads, but I put a note about HOLA in there.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

For the moment I'm watching and liking Peaky Blinders, because Cillian Murphy and Nick Cave's music. You should all watch that.

Also, rewatching Hannibal on Canada's Netflix :3:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Utopia season one is great. Great premise, great execution. Season (series?) 2 is just a retread with some Game of Thrones actress in the first prequel episode to get you hyped and it just gets ridiculous how every freaking character shows up for the multiple dramatic climaxes. Badly written trash.

Black Mirror on the other hand is gold and everyone should watch it. I really hope the next season will be as well done.

And That Mitchell and Webb Look is pretty solid too. I've been watching it from the beginning for the last week. The only problem is so many goons link clips of it that I've seen most of the good material already. v0v

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Another show that I felt was good but somewhat underrated is BBC America's "Copper", which only ran for two seasons. Both are up on Netflix now and if you're the type of person who's into historical New York City type stuff then you'll probably like it. The main plot is about an Irish NYC Detective named Kevin Corcoran returning from the Civil War only to find his daughter dead, his wife missing and no leads or information to be found anywhere. It's kind of like Law and Order: 5 Points, with a lot more police brutality and era appropriate racism (against Blacks and Irish). I'm a huge NYC history buff, especially the 5 Points/Gangs of New York type of poo poo, and I found Copper to be really well done in terms of characters/set pieces/stories of that type. Even aside from all that it's just a good story that drew me in and held my attention for the whole run of the show. The subject matter is appropriately seedy without being too disturbing, and the actors all seem enthusiastic about their roles. Donal Logue joins the cast partway through season one and kills it as a slimy Tammany Hall politician/fixer. And even though the main lead tends to come off as a bit altruistic for the time period he never really gets overbearing with it.

Basically, if you liked Gangs of New York (and for all of it's cheesy flaws I think I'm one of the few who really liked it) then you'll like Copper. Of course YMMV, but at least give it a shot.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Asking for my mom. What are some good Brazilian movies on netflix?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ElGroucho posted:

I.... I don't know if you want me to watch this or not

You should watch Gilmore Girls

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kazil posted:

Sebastian Bach shows up, and Luke is spongeworthy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kazil posted:

I'm a manly man who only only eats raw meat and acid and that show is pretty funny. The daughter starts off bad (rumor was that she could never hut her marks so she had to be led around the set) and somehow gets worse. The rest of the cast is great.

Agents of Shield is up and it's not as awful as everyone initially claimed.
It's not good but I hear it gets pretty amazing toward the end of the first season.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a manly man who only only eats raw meat and acid and that show is pretty funny. The daughter starts off bad (rumor was that she could never hut her marks so she had to be led around the set) and somehow gets worse. The rest of the cast is great.

Agents of Shield is up and it's not as awful as everyone initially claimed.
It's not good but I hear it gets pretty amazing toward the end of the first season.

At some point Bill Paxton joins the cast. I remember his eps being pretty decent.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kind of resent the fact that Agents of SHIELD got about five billion more chances to become good than any other show just for having the Marvel brand slapped on it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

syscall girl posted:

At some point Bill Paxton joins the cast. I remember his eps being pretty decent.

Yeah, agents of Shield improves a lot about halfway through the first season. Season 2 has been fairly good imo as well.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I already mentioned this in the CD Netflix thread, but go to Amazon and watch The Visitor. Thank me later.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Wait are we saying that Bill Paxton shows up in Gilmore Girls or that he shows up in SHIELD? Because I am in season six of GG and, lord, we could really use you Paxton.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
VHS and VHS 2 on Netflix, great found footage horror antologies, really amazing stuff. There's the lukewarm and so far not streaming 2nd sequel, VHS: Viral. Avoid the hell out of Arrested Development season 4, god what a disappointment.

Lastly:

casual poster posted:

No one watch Snowpiercer, we all agreed in the last thread that it was the worst thing ever

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait are we saying that Bill Paxton shows up in Gilmore Girls or that he shows up in SHIELD? Because I am in season six of GG and, lord, we could really use you Paxton.

Hopefully both (I haven't seen GG).

Mostly just wanted to post a thank you for that hola.org suggestion. I can watch old eps of QI now on youtube. :tipshat:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

DeusExMachinima posted:

VHS and VHS 2 on Netflix, great found footage horror antologies, really amazing stuff. There's the lukewarm and so far not streaming 2nd sequel, VHS: Viral. Avoid the hell out of Arrested Development season 4, god what a disappointment.

Lastly:

AD Season 4 was amazing. That said, it is polarizing.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crazy goons, Snowpiercer is awesome if you like terry gilliam style humor/fantasia. Watch it!

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I just enjoyed Earnest Saves Christmas this evening one of the better films in the Earnest catalog

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I just enjoyed Earnest Saves Christmas this evening one of the better films in the Earnest catalog

The high water mark being "Ernest Scared Stupid", of course.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Lastly:

Apparently S4 of Arrested Development is going to be completely recut so that the episodes run in chronological order and feature multiple characters, as opposed to the time-hopping structure with each episode focusing on only one Bluth family member.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Mostly just wanted to post a thank you for that hola.org suggestion. I can watch old eps of QI now on youtube. :tipshat:

If you're using hola you can watch all the eps of QI on Netflix UK

Edit: Whoops i just noticed the QI series on UK Netflix start at series 6.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Nov 28, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I forgot, Grimm is back on Netflix Mexico, but only the first two seasons :doom: I need the third one goddammit!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Does Amazon Prime have enough separate content from Hulu and Netflix to be worth the price? I'm thinking of splurging, but I don't want to flush $100 down the toilet if it's just pretty much the same stuff I can get on the other two apps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Retail Slave posted:

Does Amazon Prime have enough separate content from Hulu and Netflix to be worth the price? I'm thinking of splurging, but I don't want to flush $100 down the toilet if it's just pretty much the same stuff I can get on the other two apps.

Do Hulu and Netflix have DEEP FRIED MASTERS?

I thought not.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

We only have Amazon Prime, although we resubscribe to Netflix about once a year to catch up on the new stuff they add, and then we cancel after a month or two.

Personally, I feel like I've run out of stuff to watch on Amazon Prime for now, but they do have some great shows that aren't on Netflix (and I have no idea about Hulu Plus): Hannibal, Justified, The Americans, Orphan Black, and all those HBO shows, especially The Wire and Deadwood. If you add in the Comedy Central content (including a LOT of half-hour stand-up specials), the free streaming music, and free shipping on Amazon orders (even though they recently started charging sales tax and offering tinier discounts), I think it would be worthwhile to subscribe to for a year, and then you can reevaluate.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Mr Tastee posted:

Asking for my mom. What are some good Brazilian movies on netflix?

Elite Squad 1 and 2 are both good, so is City of God. Were on (Canadian) Netflix last I checked.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Archer is probably my favorite series at the moment. Honestly, if you haven't seen it I recommend you check it out.

Room 237 is a documentary about the various theories regarding hidden meanings in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Some of the theories are so absolutely bizarre, but it's interesting to listen to people discuss these theories and try to justify them.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

On the other hand: I got to the part where the guy in Room 237 boasted about how he figured out the moon landing was faked, and I turned it off. It's basically just crazy people spouting nonsense about a movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HogX posted:

On the other hand: I got to the part where the guy in Room 237 boasted about how he figured out the moon landing was faked, and I turned it off. It's basically just crazy people spouting nonsense about a movie.

Room 237 is okay but if you want to get nuts about The Shining watch Kubrick's Gold Story. It's been scrubbed from the internet pretty hard but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWZEwedPkc

Maribone Jelly
Jan 29, 2009
Both seasons of The Supersizers Go... are on Hulu. While some of the history may be a bit simplistic, its pretty entertaining, and worth a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Maribone Jelly posted:

Both seasons of The Supersizers Go... are on Hulu. While some of the history may be a bit simplistic, its pretty entertaining, and worth a look

To further clarify, it's a series where two people spend an entire week exclusively eating the cuisine of a given time period. I think my favorite of the bunch was the Restoration era, during which people in Britain didn't 'trust' vegetables, and basically ate only meat, and were consequently lethargic, irritable, and smelly all the time.