Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

"Vicissitude"

When the First Words were uttered out of the primeval Chaos, even then the First Lie lay hidden within.

Trickster Spirit (+4):
I am Anansi. I am Hanuman. I am Elegua and his shadow Eshu. I am Bamapana and Bluetongue Lizard and Crow. I am Iktomi and Nanabozho and Kokopelli, Coyote and Raven. I am Hermes and Mercury and Prometheus, Dionysus and Pan, Hippomenes and Orpheus and Teiresias. I am Kitsune and Kappa and Tanuki and Susano-o. I am Set. I am Loki. I am The Mirror held before the faces of Men and Gods to humble them and show them their folly.

By word or action, the Trickster can cause both men and gods to believe the lies within their own hearts and minds. He (she?) can make things to appear as they are not, and he himself can appear in any form he desires. Some question whether the Trickster has any true form at all.

Some things he can do:
He can create illusions. He can shapeshift. He can talk anyone into believing anything, especially when they want it -- and sometimes, even when they don't. He can convince a freezing man to give up his cloak, and leave him smiling while he does it.

Inbetween All Realms (+2):
I stand where all paths are joined: between here and there, between the past and the future, between the living and the dead. In the space between heartbeats, I can simply be where the point of my enemy's spear is not -- or I can be on the far side of the world. I know the tongues of all men, for I hear all of their prayers, though in the past few would bestir themselves to pray to me directly. I am the Door through which all souls pass from eternity and to eternity.

He is the God of the Crossroads, able to walk any path to any destination he desires. As the gatekeeper and the conduit between the many pantheons of deities and their followers among the mortals, he normally has few devotees himself. Nevertheless, he receives the pleas and prayers of all, carrying the gods' replies (few and far between though they may be) to their followers in turn. He is also responsible for delivering the souls of the newly formed into their mortal bodies, and he is likewise responsible for delivering the souls of the newly dead to the Underworld.

Some things he can do:
He can avoid physical harm, and slip out of any sticky situation (most likely this also falls under the penumbra of his Trickster Spirit Quality). He can move at the Speed of Plot by some unspecified divine means. He can understand and communicate with any and every being that has a language, no matter how primitive. He can hear (though generally he does not respond to) the prayers offered to any and all deities. He has dominion over souls passing from one stage of existence to the next. He brings fecundity to existing life (but he does not create new life), and he shepherds the souls of the dead to their appointed afterlife (Is that Judgement? Heaven? Hell? I suppose that depends on which Gods remain!). He does not oversee the judging, rewards, or punishment of the afterlife himself -- however, if he were so inclined, he would not be above tricking the more arrogant among the gods out of their "deserved" prize of some soul or other…

Everything New Under the Sun (+2):
I am the God of the Past Becoming the Future. I am the Web spun over the world -- whether men call it Dreaming, or Medicine, or Magic, or Technology, I am the Source from which men drink when they desire new experiences, new wisdom, or clever solutions to their dilemmas. Sometimes, however, when a man does not have eyes to see, the knowledge he gains does not benefit him as he might imagine.

He is the indifferent arbiter of blind chance that underlies many changes; but even moreso, he is the god of Progress. Responsible for the intellectual as well as the physical fecundity of mortals, he is the unseen (and often unacknowledged) patron of those undertaking novel pursuits, especially of the artistic or scientific sort. He is the one who, unasked, brought Fire to men, and first taught them the arts of sorcery and healing -- much to the consternation of many of the other gods, who (as a rule) selfishly wanted to keep such gifts for themselves, and wanted men dependent on the divine instead of their own abilities. After all, men who die (or are afraid to die) belong to the gods, but for as long as they are in the mortal realm (and believe they will stay there), they are their own creatures.

Some things he can do:
This Quality is more of a situational wildcard than a specific capability. He is never at a loss in any new situation. He can roll with the punches. If anyone can figure out a way for the men and their gods to survive and thrive in the wake of the Fimbulwinter, it is him.

Spirit of Chaos (-2):
I am the pangs of fate. I am the roll of the dice, the one who brings fortune and ruin. I turn darkness into light, and I turn light into darkness. By me men see the path ahead, but when they grow haughty, I cause them to stumble. Whether life or death or the moments that occur between, all is nought but a fleeting story, far too insignificant a detail to be taken seriously.

In keeping with his Trickster nature, he is a force for Chaos, unpredictable and irresponsible. He takes little seriously, and he is not commonly trusted, especially by those who have fallen victim to his schemes previously. If he is emotionally constrained or physically restricted in his freedom of movement, he will rebel and seek to change his circumstances at the first opportunity. To the extent that he thinks of others, he expects them to have the same viewpoint.

Some thing he cannot do:
He cannot easily be trusted; if some being is foolish enough to try, he will soon disabuse that one that he is worthy of such trust. He cannot be made to see the gravity of most situations -- though if anything in his long existence might merit his sober reflection, it would be the cataclysm of Fimbulwinter. He cannot connect too deeply with any individual, nor can he stay in one place for too long.

Without Light, There Are No Shadows (-2):
Where there is no truth, lies lose their power. Where there are no men, there are no prayers or sacrifices to carry to the gods, and no souls to bring to birth or to final judgement. Where there are no Gatherings of Men, there can be no Outcasts. Where there is no change, only undifferentiated sameness, there I am not.

As the Space Between All Beings, where there are no relationships, there he cannot exist. He is outside of all societies, but ironically reliant on them for his existence. Though he cannot settle down, he likewise cannot be separate from all others for too long, or his strength begins to wane.

Some things he cannot do:
Most of his divine attributes require another sentient being to interact with. If men or gods die out completely, there will be no need for one possessed of his divine powers and responsibilities, and he would be bereft of purpose -- if not existence. Likely such limitations will begin to affect him even before such an extreme circumstance comes to pass. Furthermore, though he can (and does, when it proves necessary) shapeshift into a creature that can withstand cold to some extent, he cannot beguile a glacier into retreating, nor badger the wind into abating. Ravenous, scurrying rat gods and enormous phallic towers of all-consuming flesh may be above (or beneath) his reach, but he has not (yet) had occasion to find out.

----

I possess no land to watch over, and I have no people who call me their own. I stand alone alongside all the other children of the Creator. Yet when Fimbulwinter came and some even among the immortal gods ceased to be, I began to receive supplications from those who desired change in their world. First the men of the North, who sailed upon their Dragons. And then the Skraelings of the Wooded Lands. But then, like a raging inferno of newly-discovered piety, men from every corner of the Earth began to lift their hands to me -- whether they knew a name for me or not. From the trackless wilderness to the rude hovel to the grandiose palace, whether he was crusted in filth or bedecked in jewels, he sought the face that had been hidden from him since before eternity began, in order to regain even some small measure of control over the course of Change. With certainty, there was change aplenty and upheaval everywhere as societies collapsed and cities were reduced to lifeless rubble beneath the advancing glaciers. But those who for the first time sought me out directly wanted a different sort of change, one that would not lead to their imminent demise. Slowly, slowly I began to listen to the prayers that were uttered, and through the strength of such devotion -- opportunistic and desperate as it was -- my will was fortified against the cold, and I was roused to action.
But still, men (and even hardier things) are dying like flies as the hoarfrost settles over more and more of the world. And so, although it might offer temporary respite, I will not sit by the Hearth as it grows cold and lifeless. I will not drink and make merry in golden towers as the Ice bears down upon me to grind my bones to powder. I will not flee to the dark places and cower among the sightless and the hopeless. I will tread upon the earth, and under the earth, and even through the gates of Hell itself if need be. From beyond the north to the farthest reaches of the south I shall wander, striding through the last of the great Fortresses of men and riding across the frigid plains with the nomads of the Empire. And when the sun rises over the cold and desolate lands, I shall chase it from the east until it wearies of its race in the west. And I will come to know that which neither man nor god has perceived before:
why?

--------

Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

Amaguq pads silently into the circle of shifting light, sniffing the air for the scent of predator or prey, or for the stinging cold that portends the arrival of the Ice. Sensing none, he circles closer, finally resting on his haunches facing the other two gods. He opens his muzzle to speak to, first to the Old One, as is fitting for a guest accepting the hospitality of his host.

"The harsh lands make the spirits of men and gods harsh. The Ice makes the spirits men and Gods cold, forgetful of that which binds us. Qualiertetang is grown fierce, and Anguta devours many, but there is still welcome by your fire. You are not cold; you do not forget. There is gratitude from Amaguq for the sharing of your fire, your life." He raises his snout to sniff again, before addressing the other deity.

"And greetings to you, young one. The Old One has named me Amaguq, He-Who-Brought-the-Sun-to-Earth, and he speaks the truth that he knows." Indicating her feet, he continues, "I see that you have been going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down upon it. And now, the breath of men breathe many new prayers to The-Lady-In-The-Wind, who offers warmth and peace wherever the wind brings cold and fear."

He falls silent for a time, lost in thought and staring at the embers deep within the fire. But then he speaks again, even as he continues staring into the dancing flames. "Over endless time, Akka, Mother-Beneath-Our-Feet, has witnessed forest turn to desert and desert turn to sea, and sea turn to fertile plain in its turn. In your wisdom, Old One, do you perceive what the Coming of the Ice portends? How has it come? When will it go?"

I figure a god who has seen things over the countless eons of the past might have insight into our current predicament, and thoughts on a way out of it, even if he is too old to accomplish the necessary feats himself. I'm mostly looking for useful knowledge at this point -- is there any kind of roll that needs to be made? If he's reluctant, I suppose some sort of social conflict is in the offing, but he's given no indication that he's particularly tight-lipped yet…

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, Hungry Like The Wolf

"After warmth, food is the most welcome of gifts," he says, before approaching to dip his muzzle into the stew offered to him (no, not into the cooking pot itself; he's not some graceless animal). "I do not have much to offer in return, but what I can hear on the winds, that I shall tell to you."

Inbetween All Worlds [+2] plus Everything New Under the Sun [+2], and what the heck, 1 AP too, to listen to prayers from as far away as I can sense them, and to detect any important changes that have been wrought in the world of late. If I need to resist the Cold to accomplish this, does Parelle's gift fortify me against any adverse effects?

"Old One, you speak of the Ice Beneath, and to the South already as well…do you know where and how it began?"

Turning to the other, he adds, "And you, Young One: if we could learn of some way to beat back the encroaching Ice, would you do it? Would you save mankind-- and Godkind for that matter -- even at the cost of your Self, your very Divine essence?"

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 25, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, Cold as Ice

Amaguq reels from the cold pervading his soul, sapping his Divine essence. He knew the Cold was powerful, but this he was unprepared for. Returning to his senses, he greedily devours the meal that the Goddess had prepared for him, and he gratefully receives the drink she proffers.

BRR!

Puppies are dicks posted:

Hypothetically if you failed a roll terribly and it succeeded in dealing 5 ranks of damage (-10)...

Yeah, hypothetically.

I'll spend 3 AP to reduce the 5 Ranks of damage to 2 Ranks, and I will eat the final prepared meal to warm up and reduce the damage by one further Rank, leaving only on Rank of damage. This damage will, appropriately, go to Inbetween All Worlds (now [+0]). Amaguq will not be traveling fast or far anytime soon -- unless, of course Parelle's magic firewater exceeds his expectations and restores him to full potency. Keeping Trickster and Everything New Under the Sun at full strength, because I just might be needing them in the very near future...

After he finishes the meal, he responds to the Goddess kneeling solicitously at his side. "This is what I heard, what the wind brought to my ears…

The last remnants of the Kingdoms and Empires of Men are dying, even in the farthest South. And their Gods are likely not far behind them on the path to oblivion. Power struggles have erupted in the lands of the Undying. As the Cold threatens even those without breath, they prepare to strike against the living to gain whatever small measure of power they can against the Cold. Things from Underneath are waking from their eternal slumber, and the Gods of the Waters Beyond the Sun's Reach move as if they are being herded by Sedna, fleeing ever South before the ice.

"And then, I heard…" Recalling what he saw of the Old One, Amaguq realizes that he himself is not the only one who has kept his nature hidden. Keeping his features neutral, he continues, "And then I heard the cold Wind howling. It is everywhere. It is stronger than any of us -- indeed, stronger than all of us. But you knew this already, did you not, Old One?" he concludes as he turns to the other God. And then Amaguq sits quietly, waiting for Parelle's response to his revelation, and listening to what the Old One says -- and perhaps more importantly, what he does not say.

Trickster Spirit [+4] with 2 AP to try to divine from the Old One's conversation and body language (and any history I have with him) just what his domains are. Does he have any connection to the Ice, or was the timing of my looking at him and the Cold striking merely a coincidence (yeah, right)? Did he violently consume all those souls that I saw within him? Just how hosed are Parelle and I if he decides to eat us too?

Incidentally, do I have any kind of feeling for how strong [+?] the Ice was that I was up against? Based on how badly I failed (despite being at +8), I can wager a guess, but quantifying it in game mechanical terms would be helpful. Also, did it come from any particular place? I suspect the Old One, of course, but even if that's not right, the direction of the Wind could perhaps tell me something.

AP: 10/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 26, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, the Lone(?) Hunter

As he continues to recover, Amaguq ponders. If the God of the Hungry Earth had wanted to consume me, he would have done so when I was weakened. Perhaps he is not a threat after all. Perhaps... He continue to reflect on the Old One's words, as well as his experiences since the coming of the Ice, and eventually he gives voice to his thoughts. "Many other Gods attacked the Wall of Ice as it advanced upon them. This was most assuredly courageous, though not particularly wise. The proper way to slay an enemy is not to strike at his spear, but to strike at his heart. If we could find the origin of the Ice, we might succeed where the others have failed. Old One, you know well what Mother-Beneath-Our-Feet has experienced. Perhaps you have knowledge of where she first felt the press of the Ice…?"

He raises his paw to stave off the objection he expects is forthcoming. "Even if you know such a thing, we obviously cannot simply charge off to battle again -- we have all seen how the Cold can kill those arrayed against it, and even threaten those who merely walk through it, whether in body or in spirit. And yet, there are many others who survive. Kingdoms of men and other beings, and their Gods too. Some of those may even possess a modicum of the intelligence we will need. If those of us who remain -- all of us -- band together, we may just be able to stop the encroaching Cold at its source...

"If, as you say, we are all dead anyway, then there is no harm in trying such a desperate gambit."

Can NPCs be part of a Pantheon? Does the Old One have any desire to join in this crazy scheme? Sure, the effort may start small, but why not think big? Maybe if we get ALL the Gods together -- yes, every single one, PC and NPC alike -- we might be able to get somewhere against the Ice. For the record, I'm not actually expecting all (or even most) of the surviving Gods to take us up on the offer, but as a pantheon of one currently (or two, with Parelle), there's nowhere to go but up.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

"Walk well upon the earth, Young One," he says to the departing Parelle, "and may the Ice never find you."

Amaguq then nods his head respectfully to the Old One, even as he sniffs at the stick. "I thank you for the most generous offer, but I will continue upon my chosen path, even as you continue upon yours. If I fail, you and those you contain may indeed be the last hope for all Life. I wish you success, then, but even moreso I wish that your success will not be necessary." With that, Amaguq prepares to go on his own way.

Everything New Under the Sun [+2] (plus one AP) to divine what the deal is with the Old One's artifact. If it has to do with Trickery (or if the Old One is trying to trick me himself) I should get an additional [+4}, and if (as I suspect) it has to do with physical movement or the movement of souls (e.g. from their original bodies to within the Old One) then I should get an additional [+2] for Inbetween All Realms.

Incidentally, given the carnage at Batjullik I am very happy that I have no followers to tie me down to one particular locale and/or get killed and shaft me out of my AP.

Ending AP 9/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

Amaguq thinks carefully. The Old One had shared his fire. He had not engaged in any hostile actions toward himself or toward Parelle. And he had released Amaguq despite having a firm grasp upon him while he was recovering from the Icestorm. All of this led Amaguq to think that this Old One did not desire a confrontation. But still, there was a strong enchantment upon the place that Amaguq could not identify, and that made him nervous.

No, it was not in the nature of a Trickster to trust anyone. So he would test the Old One, to see whether he truly intended to let Amaguq depart peacefully.

"May Mother-Beneath-Our-Feet protect you," Amaguq offer with an air of finality to the stonily silent Old One. The dying embers give one last pop, scattering bright sparks as the wolf turns and slinks off into the shadows. As "Amaguq" departs, Vicissitude's true self rises with the sparks, floating far enough away to be out of immediate danger, but remaining close enough so that he can gauge the Old One's response.

Amaguq is engaging in a little bit of bait-and-switch. The sparks are for misdirection, to cover his transformation from wolf to a tiny hovering gnat; meanwhile an illusion imbued with a sliver of his divine essence takes his place. The form of the wolf is intended to look and smell and feel like Amaguq (hence the AP expenditure), specifically to determine if the Old One is going to attack when he thinks I'm not looking. Meanwhile, the real V is effectively invisible and out of the line of fire -- and perhaps importantly, in the form of a flying creature who is not in contact with the ground, since that is clearly the Old One's domain.

Trickster Spirit [+4] is obviously in play, as is Inbetween All Worlds [+2], since I'm moving to where my enemy is not attacking. Also, gauging the Old One's heretofore-mysterious intentions and making a split-second decision about the best course of action most definitely requires me to think on my feet, so Everything New Under the Sun [+2] applies as well. On top of that, I am not the slightest bit interested in going on the offensive unless I am attacked first, so I'm also Playing It Cagey [+2]. Unfortunately, the Old One seems to know me well, and is therefore likely to expect such behavior from the Trickster God, so Spirit of Chaos [-2] probably works against me as well.

Total is +8 (plus 2 AP) to avoid being attacked while simultaneously presenting a tempting target for the Old One, should his intentions prove to be hostile. If not, and if the Old One simply lets "Amaguq" depart, then we're all good. No harm, no foul, and Vicissitude will simply go on his way for real, floating away with the last of the campfire's smoke...

Ending AP 7/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 1, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude

Interesting, Vicissitude thinks to himself. Parelle seems to have discovered some secret to controlling the Ice. I shall have to learn from her when the opportunity presents itself. But there are more pressing issues to attend to first.

"When you bid me welcome to your fire, you declared there would be no harm save that which I brought myself," Vicissitude says to the Old One. "It appears you spoke truly." With that, he leaves the Old One behind, using his Divine power to disappear from the Wilds and to appear elsewhere. Meanwhile, "Amaguq" raises his muzzle to the skies and cries long and loud, summoning whatever Wolves or other predatory creatures might be within Divine calling distance.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

...if the Old One simply lets "Amaguq" depart, then we're all good. No harm, no foul, and Vicissitude will simply go on his way for real, floating away with the last of the campfire's smoke...

Doing as advertised. The Old One is not attacking, so I'm leaving him in peace. I got places to go and people to see. Well, not people, per se, but you get the idea...I'm Traveling to Thaisaidain. Inbetween All Worlds [+2] is my primary mode of travel, but Trickster Spirit [+4] and Everything New Under the Sun [+2] apply specifically to avoiding the worst of the Ice-related dangers. However, since the Ice is an inanimate force rather than a being I can deceive, Without Light, There Are No Shadows [-2] applies as well. Total is +6.

I cannot, however, resist one parting attempt at trickery as I leave the Wilds. The DECOY WOLF is not coming with me, but if it succeeds in calling any creatures to the Old One (especially, say, a certain Werewolf with a penchant for antisocial behavior), I'm hoping they find more than they bargained for.

Assuming there are no Ice-related issues with my Travel, once I arrive at Thaisaidain I am initially staying hidden from any undead present using Trickster Spirit [+4] along with Everything New Under the Sun [+2], for a total of +6 (plus 1 AP).

Edit: Ending AP 6(?)8/16 -- I subtracted 5AP for damage reduction earlier, but I actually only used 3AP at the time.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places - Thaisaidain

Enki watches impassively as the last of the mortals is mercilessly slaughtered to feed the ravenous dead. A fitting end for those who put their faith in the Goddess of Undeath, he muses to himself. But then Larissa enacts all of the rituals of un-resurrection and soul-binding and the like, and what Enki initially thought would be a brief foray into the unguarded tombs of Thasaidain now seems like nothing so much as an interminable wait for the Vampire Queen to finally depart.

By all the Pantheons, this is the slowest mobilization of an army ever, Enki sighs impatiently to himself as he watches the assorted undead still gathering in the enormous central plaza of Thaisaidain, just beneath the obsidian ziggurat. If Larissa ever finds herself up against a real army with a real leader, like the Smugfather or even the Prosecutor, she is doomed. A smile creases his features at this thought, and it broadens at the subsequent one: Perhaps there is some way to ensure just such a conflict occurs…

Remaining hidden, he takes a renewed interest in Larissa's commands, how the various factions of undead respond, and how the forces of each of her minions are arrayed with respect to the others. From his earlier scrying, he was already aware of the internal squabbling that had broken out in (failed) insurrection. Surely somewhere there must be resentment still clutched to the cold, bloodless hearts of Larissa's subjects?

I'm observing for any sign of weakness that will give me (or those I share the intel with) a situational bonus in future interactions with Larissa and/or her army. Do the other vampire lords respond slowly to Larissa's commands, as if by such petty gestures they could reassure themselves of their independence from her will? Are the specters collected on the far side of the army from the ghosts, indicating that their respective masters have to be kept apart for fear of internecine strife? Are the mannerisms of Larissa herself particularly telling of any doubt or ineptitude? As I described in one of my fluff posts, tripping up the Smugfather's army required nothing more than the impersonation of a bugler who relayed the wrong command to the rest of the army. I'm looking for the same kind of leverage here against Larissa's army, but if I get some actionable intelligence specifically on Larissa too, I wouldn't complain. However, the success of this particular foray into military PsyOps is less important to my long-term plan than remaining hidden.

While I'm not a military genius, Trickster Spirit [+4] plus Everything New Under the Sun [+2] certainly apply for coming up with a suitably creative trap to spring on the undead army and/or Larissa at some future opportune moment. Unfortunately, since I'm not interacting with anyone directly, but only observing from afar, I'd say that Without Light, There Are No Shadows [-2] also applies. I believe that this already takes into account my lack of mobility while evaluating the army, but if you feel an additional penalty applies, so be it. No AP expenditure on account of wanting to avoid detection; total is +4.

Ending AP: 8/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places - Thaisaidain

Sometimes in the form of a feasting carrion-crow or a scavenging jackal, at other times in the likeness of a formless haunting spirit, and occasionally as the merest shadow of a ghost, Enki flits through the nearly empty and entirely lifeless city as soon as the last of Larissa's invaders shambles over the horizon. Sheltered from the prying (if rotted) eyes of the remaining undead, he begins his search through the vast array of temples, sepulchers, and long-forgotten catacombs within and beneath Thaisaidain. Enki has a definite notion of the sorts of treasures that would be most valuable to him, but not, alas, just which of the countless crypts might contain them.

Trickster Spirit [+4] along with Inbetween All Worlds [+2] to travel swiftly and stealthily through Thaisaidain (i.e., my defense action for the turn against whatever the undead or the city attempt to throw at me is at +6). The other aspect of Inbetween All Worlds [+2] along with Everything New Under the Sun [+2] will be used to appropriate any artifacts of relevance to my interests that aren't nailed down -- and maybe a few that are (i.e., my offensive/artifact "creation" action for the turn is at +4). No AP spend (yet) as Larissa is still close.

My OOC post details specifically what I'm looking for; I expect to search multiple times, either until I tick all my boxes or until circumstances intervene. I figure that successful rolls will yield the desired (or other) goodies to me in whatever order you see fit.

Ending AP: 8/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 8, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places - Deep Beneath Thaisaidain

If she can manage to ensure that everything of value is stripped from the Tombs, perhaps Larissa is not completely incompetent after all, Enki thinks in frustration. But then his divine senses determine that there are indeed places the Vampire Queen and her followers did not access -- though whether that was due to ignorance of their existence or a wise decision to leave the Deep Places undisturbed remains to be seen.

So Enki sneaks past the undead huddled pathetically within the Obsidian Ziggurat, and proceeds Deep Beneath Thaisaidain to discover what resources had been thoughtfully amassed in millennia past to help him and his fellow gods in their battle against the Ice. And if he could walk away with something of benefit to himself personally, so much the better. Still, he treads cautiously, because while the traps and guardians he had encountered thus far were of little danger to a God, that would not necessarily be the case the Deeper he delved.

My previous scrying experience (not to mention my millennia of travels) have given me some inkling of the things that live Deep Beneath the surface, and I'm perfectly well aware that some ancient carvings conveying messages along the lines of "Do not break the seal on this portal, on pain of horrible death for you and all your loved ones!" are not just empty boasts meant to turn away would-be grave-robbers. In fact, since I'm primarily looking for ways to restrain or otherwise stave off an implacable God-killing enemy, if I come across magics designed to keep the Deep Dwellers at bay, they could in fact provide me with just the sort of tools that I'm looking for. In other words: I want to determine whether the locks I'm about to be picking are keeping plunderers out, or keeping worse things in. And either outcome has potential benefits.

Trickster Spirit [+4] along with Inbetween All Worlds [+2] to travel swiftly and stealthily Deep Beneath Thaisaidain. Since it's not clear who or what I might be up against, Everything New Under the Sun [+2] likely applies as well, but at the same time so does Without Light, There Are No Shadows [-2], since there's not any sentient beings (that I'm aware of anyway) to interact with. Thus, my search action as I investigate Things Predating Mortal Existence is +6, and I'm spending 2 AP as well, because I
really don't want to screw this up, or the Ice might swiftly become the least of my worries.

Ending AP: 6/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Enki pores over the Seals carefully, seeking to learn how the magic is physically manifested in the stone, metal, and more exotic substances intricately woven together. He had provided the gifts of both magic and technology to mortals; surely he could divine the method for recreating such powerful devices, even if their exact nature were new to him.

Still, his penchant for chaos begins to nag at the back of his mind. In the interest of self-preservation if nothing else, he tries to block it out, but it only becomes more insistent. Would it really be all that bad to open a Seal and see what comes out? Surely the world is in bad shape already -- what's one more monster to add to the chaos? Besides it might be fun to see what sort of damage it could do.

After some time of arguing with himself, he finally gains control of his urge, but by the end of his study he's worried that he may not have captured all of the essential elements of the ritual of Seal creation. Despite these concerns, he nevertheless focuses his divine energies, manifesting them in the very same form of stone and metal and runic device as that found in the other Seals scattered throughout the depths of the caverns Deep Beneath Thaisiadian.

This is precisely what Everything New Under the Sun [+2] is designed for, and I'd argue that Inbetween All Worlds [+2] is relevant too, given that the Seals are all about (impeding) travel from one location to another. Unfortunately, this situation calls for sober reflection and a serious demeanor, for which Enki is constitutionally ill-suited. With Spirit of Chaos [-2], the total to physically recreate a Seal of my own out of pure divine energy is +2. I'm spending 2 AP as well. The goal is to have an Elder Seal of at least [+2] strength that is easily transportable and that can be used either to tap into the energy nexus flowing through the other pre-existing Seals or to ward off/restrain Denizens of the Deep who are repelled by such artifacts.

Ending AP: 4/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 14, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

That did not go well, Enki thinks to himself as he watches the Tomb Horror recede into the distance. After a few moments, he speeds off in pursuit, determined to limit the damage the thing would no doubt do. Not for the sake of Thaisaidain itself -- he'd be content to see it razed to the ground, if for no other reason than as an antidote to Larissa's hubris -- but for the sake of what Thaisaidain protected, however unwittingly.

Returning to Thaisiadain and tracking the Tomb Horror. Trickster Spirit +4 and Inbetween All Worlds +2 to stay hidden from the thing, as well as from the remaining undead. Given that I'm not really acting Heroic or going against my nature (yet), I don't think my disadvantages apply. If it begins to tear through the city, I'll just watch the fun for now, though if it looks like it's going to damage anything that's essential to keeping the Seals intact, I'll certainly intervene (presumably next turn) to stop it. To that end, I didn't particularly envision Trickster Spirit being a directly offensive trait, but I wager it could come in handy for, say, luring the Tomb Horror into a building and then collapsing it on the thing?

Ending AP: 9/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth

The Beast from Beneath remains hidden, Belet-Seri realizes, before smugly thinking to herself, but it, or whatever other Divinity may be here, shall by no means succeed in tricking the Trickster. And yet, there is no reason to face the Creature alone when I cause it to reveal itself…

And so Belet-Seri finds her way to the pinnacle of the Obsidian Ziggurat, manifesting herself in all her terrible glory to the squabbling undead princes. "Greetings, Lords of Undeath!" she intones, her voice carrying far and wide for all to hear. "I, Belet-Seri, Recorder of the Dead and intermediary for Enmesarra, Judge and Regent of the Underworld, declare you to be Edimmu -- the Remnants of those not yet properly judged in the afterlife -- and declare your souls forfeit to me. Your goddess has abandoned you; oppose me, and I will personally escort you into Eternal Torment. Heed my words, however, and you may escape with your unLife, and with your power intact." With that dire warning hanging in the air, she calls upon her divine power to begin drawing their souls inexorably to herself.

But then, after what amounts to only a gentle tug, she pauses dramatically. "Enmesarra, who calls himself Malador, does indeed seek to lay claim to your souls for your offenses against his authority. His arrogant pretensions notwithstanding, though, the King of Hell is a fool. His will does not hold sway here; nevertheless, Larissa has not the strength to oppose him should he come for her. She cannot even protect this majestic City of the Dead from the Divine Being that at this very moment is coming from Beneath you to devour all. Thaisaidain needs a new regent, one who has the strength and foresight to properly rule and defend this timeless place -- you know this, and I know this. With Larissa, the pretender to the throne, forgetting her place and abandoning her sacred duty in order to pursue one of her vain and foolish quests against the mortals, the time has come for you to show yourselves to be the rightful Rulers of Thaisaidain by purging the interloper skulking through this place!"

I'm going for social combat with the most powerful of the sentient undead, Flipping Out [+2] and using an area-effect "spell" from Ambush to bend those nominally in charge to my will. I'm obviously threatening them, but also buttering them up a little bit in an attempt to convince them to prove themselves by going up against the Lesser Tomb Horror. Relevant traits are Trickster Spirit [+4], Everything New Under the Sun [+2], and Inbetween All Worlds [+2], along with the Upshift [+2] against Larissa's undead society, since I'm trying to separate them from her control and bind them to my own (permanently, assuming any of them survive what's coming). Total is [+12], and if the Ambush is successful that will inflict an additional Rank of (social) damage on my opponents as well. I'm spending 2 AP on top of that; I want to gain absolute control of the undead lords (and through them, the undead foot soldiers) as quickly as possible so I can have a passel of Undead Minions on hand to track down the Tomb Horror -- and let's be honest, to take the brunt of the damage as well, should the Thing prove to be feisty.

Ending AP: 7/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth

Well, that was rather less subtle than I was hoping, Belet-Seri muses. I guess you never can trust the soulless, heartless undead to remain passionless about their loyalties.

"Now, Regents of Thaisaidain, we hunt! There is a creature here that intrudes upon your Sacred Domain -- we must find it, and destroy it, lest your city fall!"

Offering my followers a mental image of the Tomb Horror, and ordering them to spread out and use whatever abilities they have to find it (or whatever it is that is hiding hereabouts). I'm using my own powers as the Master Trickster to cause it to come out of hiding as well. Trickster Spirit +4 and Inbetween All Worlds +2 to root out its hiding spot and to negate any supernatural abilities it is using to keep itself from being perceived. I assume this is opposed by whatever traits it is using on its side, but if for whatever reason we're going straight to combat this round, I am definitely engaging in Operation Get Behind the Undead Cannon Fodder. Mechanically speaking, is that Playing it Cagey, or is that simply the tactic of letting my army of mooks get hit first if and when the bad guy attacks? Also, do I just have 20,000 conventional followers now, or do I have any +2 or +4 Vampire Lords?

Ending AP: 7/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Belet-Seri does not comment on her followers' failure, nor on the abject pleading of the vampire lord groveling before her. Let them project whatever fears or desires they wish onto my silence, she thinks to herself. Instead, she declares simply, "We search again, starting at the place of the suspicious disappearances."

This time, Belet-Seri joins in the hunt directly, searching not just the places she would expect the thing to hide, but all those she wouldn't expect as well. If its physical form were malleable (or optional), it could even appear as (or, for that matter, be inhabiting) any of her new-found servants. So as she searches alongside the undead, she casts her divine senses over them too. As the search goes on and on, she contemplates the notion that the thing might be some sort of parasitic spirit, capable of latching onto places of power like the Obsidian Ziggurat, or Beings of power like…herself. It would also be wise to determine whether something is interfering with her own divine senses at this point. She would get to the bottom of this mystery, she decides, no matter what physical (or metaphysical) barriers were in her way.

I can't possibly make two miserable rolls in a row, can I? The other option (that this thing is significantly more powerful than me) is not something I can really do anything about at this point anyway…
I'm finding this other bloody god, wherever it is: Trickster Spirit +4 and Inbetween All Worlds +2, and adding Everything New Under the Sun +2 this time too, because, well, I'm actually better when I'm forced to think outside of the box. Total is +8, and I'm spending 1 AP on top of that (also, do I get any kind of Upshift because I already know where it isn't?). Search includes looking within the places of power like the Ziggurat, along with the rooting around inside the souls of my minions -- as well as myself. If it's somehow hiding inside any of us, or even if my Godsense is being screwed with somehow, I intend to find out.

Ending AP: 6/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 17, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Belet-Seri curses silently. Relying on her eyes led only to being deceived. And taking followers upon herself only gave her enemy an opportunity to get close to her. So, she decides, if it had gone to ground within the bodies and souls of her followers, she would take away any and every hiding place it had until she could strike it directly.

"Very well," she declares to her followers as she lounges upon her throne. "There is one more matter to resolve before I depart: It is the time to select the new Regent of Thaisaidain. The one to claim her rightful reward shall, of course, be none other than the one who proves to be greatest among you. So, which one of you shall it be?"

She falls silent and sits back, waiting for the action to start. As the most devious of the vampire lords (it matters not which one) sets off a wave of carnage a split second before the rest of her fellows catch on, Belet-Seri closes her eyes and reaches out with her divine might, striking against the skulking Tomb Horror with all the power and authority of her Divine Station.

I don't think the vampire lords and their followers will need much encouragement to turn on one another. As soon as they start tearing each other apart and reducing the number of hiding places for my real enemy, I will wade into the fray using my power over souls to rip the life force from the Lesser Tomb Horror (and its hosts).

Following Larissa and Parelle as examples, I am assuming that issuing orders to my followers does not preclude taking action on my own. So the undead that remain loyal to me are targeting the Stealth Horrors (and each other, but I give no fucks whatsoever about the collateral damage) while also (indirectly) flushing out the Lesser Tomb Horror by taking away all of its hiding places, as noted above. If that results in damage to the LTH as well, so much the better.

As for me, all my Divine Mojo is going into ending the greatest threat against me as quickly as possible. I'm spending 5 AP and Flipping Out +2, which I think in this case means ignoring my lying eyes even though that might make my own avatar vulnerable to physical attack. My main method of attack is Inbetween All Worlds +2, representing authority over the souls of every being, living or otherwise. The devious nature of my attack brings Trickster Spirit +4 into play as well, while my unconventional approach to fighting by not looking at my enemy brings in Everything New Under the Sun +2. Unfortunately, I'm going to say that Spirit of Chaos -2 also applies (at least initially) because I was actually starting to rely on beings other than myself to accomplish my desired goals, and I expect that to wind up with me getting me burned. Hopefully that's the last time I make that mistake.

Total +8 and 5 AP, plus whatever sort of attack the Undead get against one another (at least) and against the Tomb Horror (hopefully).

Remaining AP: 1/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth, Thaisaidain

A wave of relief washes over Belet-Seri with the defeat of the Lesser Tomb Horror. But she does not let her guard down, as there are still its immature offspring to eliminate, along with…whatever it is that the Vampire Lords had become. Calling again upon her followers, she orders them to destroy once and for all the Shambling Horrors that had been their erstwhile masters, sure that those with even a modicum of sentience would relish the opportunity to act in accordance with her will.

Meanwhile, Belet-Seri herself sets about stalking and hunting the Stealth Horrors. Cloaking herself with invisibility and traveling instantaneously throughout the horde of undead, she strikes from her concealed position with absolute precision when she encounters any creature reeking of the Tomb Horror's taint. As she does so, she uses her divine power to connect her essence to the Obsidian Ziggurat, tapping into the merest fraction of the immense power that Thaisaidain's builders devoted to suppressing just such a threat as she faced.

As stated above, I'm ordering my remaining 10,000-odd followers to (attempt to) finish off the Shambling Horrors. Though I let them off the leash last time, I have a bit more precise orders for them this round; fortunately, I think those orders are very much in accord with the undead horde's own desires (incidentally, does that net them an Upshift to this combat, or at least the benefits of Freaking Out?). Meanwhile, I am attacking the Stealth Horrors with +4 Trickster Spirit and +2 Inbetween All Worlds. Total is +6, with an additional +??? from using the Ancient Seals.

Remaining AP 1/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth, ThaiMYsaidain

"Enough!" Belet-Seri rages. "Flee if you wish; you shall not escape!" Having successfully tapped into the energy of the Seals once already, her confidence in the ancient mystical network grows as she releases wave after wave of augmented divine energy throughout the city (and the undercity) to exterminate the last of the Horrorspawn.

Attacking the Shambling Horrors with +4 Trickster Spirit, +2 Inbetween All Worlds, and with her reliance on the mystical technology, I'm adding Everything New Under the Sun +2 too; on top of that I'm also Flipping Out +2. Total is +10, with an additional +??? from using the Ancient Seals again. If there is now more than one group of Horrors, this will be an area attack to ensure that I get them all before they get Below.

Remaining AP 1/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 12, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Finally! Belet-Seri breathes a sigh of relief as the last of the horrors succumbs to her divine will and the power of the Seals. After checking again and again to ensure not the slightest hint of another presence remained to threaten the Seals, she returns to the apex of the Ziggurat to replenish her power. She wasn't entirely sure she knew how the complete system worked, but she had enough experience already with the Seals to understand how to tap into them in a controlled fashion.

Trying to replenish some AP via the Obsidian Ziggurat. Even if my death-related powers are ideologically opposed to necromancy, they are nevertheless relevant, so I'm applying +2 Inbetween All Worlds. LIkewise working with the obscure magical technology allows me to apply +2 Everything New Under the Sun, for a total of +4 along with +??? Seals.

Remaining AP: 1/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth, Beneath Thaisaidain

Score!

Flush with invigorating divine energy, Belet-Seri is sorely tempted to obtain more and more and more…but given her nature, she is far more aware of the tricks that Power can play on a God's mind than others. So, breathing heavily and being ever so careful not to waste a single drop of Power, she begins to pour some of the excess divine potential right back into the glyphs that she had created. This time, however, she changes their purpose: not to tap into the energy of the Seals, but merely to watch, and to listen, and if necessary, to shout. If anyone or anything tampers with the Seals in the future, she would know of it due to her divine connection to the glyphs. At least, that is the plan.

Attempting to add traits to Beneath Thaisaidain, something like "Early Warning System". Using Trickster Spirit +4 to keep the warning system unobtrusive, along with Inbetween All Worlds +2 to ensure the long-distance communication to wherever I happen to be, as well as Everything New Under the Sun +2 for the magical technology. Unfortunately, since Trickster Spirit is not actually being applied directly against a sentient individual, Without Light, There Are No Shadows -2 applies too. Total is +6, adding 2 AP to ensure that the renovations to Beneath Thaisaidain's wiring and plumbing are up to code.

Remaining AP: 19/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth, Beneath Thaisaidain

Pleased with herself at the uncharacteristic display of patience no less than the spectacular warning mechanism for the Seals which resulted, Belet-Seri moves on to her next task. Returning to the Obsidian Ziggurat, she stands in the place where Larissa herself had fought and bled and spent her divine Essence against her upstart minions. The traces were still there, Belet-Seri could feel it. This connection (tenuous as it was) to another Divine Face would power a more spectacular creation, one that would give Belet-Seri even greater powers over Seeming To Be That Which She Was Not.

Or at least, that is the plan.

Creating an artifact: Trickster Mask, giving +X (where X = "a lot", hopefully) to future uses of the Trickster Spirit trait.

Of course this will make use of Trickster Spirit +4 and Everything New Under the Sun +2 for the fabrication process. I am also hoping to get an Upshift due to the readily-acessible (if scant) traces of another God's essence -- after all, taking advantage of others' weaknesses and failings (such as being physically injured by a mere mortal, say, or leaving her home completely undefended) is part of what being a Trickster is all about.

Alternately -- just thinking out loud here -- maybe the Upshift comes not at creation but with the use of the Artifact against a God (or its followers) whose essence has been incorporated into the Mask. So initially that would be Larissa, but once I hunt around (the ruins of) Batjullik a bit, I could then also get bonuses against Vendruck, Parelle, Bismarck, Malador, Isath, Arthak, etc. And if I can talk (or otherwise trick) anyone else into sharing their essence with me, I would then get bonuses against them too.

In any case, total for Artifact Creation is +6 +???. Finding propitious circumstances for the creation of this Artifact is one of the main reasons I've been haunting Thaisaidain all this time, so I'm also going to pour 8 AP into this act of Creation to make sure I get it right.

Remaining AP: 11/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Finally, Belet-Seri has begun to accomplish what she came to Thaisaidain for in the first place. She has discovered (and taken advantage of) the source of power for the undead Larissa and eliminated the token force she left behind, while discovering a few unsettling secrets that she thinks even Larissa herself might not know. She has even taken advantage of the goddess's inattention to increase her own considerable abilities. Now to put the finishing touches on her mischief before she departs.

Calling once again upon her divine powers over the spirits of the departed, and incorporating all manner of trickery and obfuscation that she has acquired over countless ages of deceiving both gods and mortals, she proceeds to set traps for any undead that might venture back into the city. She sets a particularly vicious and devious trap upon the city's gates -- should the haughty Goddess of the Unliving ever find herself returning as a "conquering hero", she will be in for quite the surprise. Smiling to herself as she completes the last of her spells, Belet-Seri pauses to appreciate her handiwork.

Since there's no one here to stop me, I toyed with the idea of destroying some of the city's traits -- Tomb City seems the most vulnerable to me -- but really, petty vandalism is beneath the likes of a Goddess. Leaving nasty surprises for Larissa and her brood, though, does seem more like Belet-Seri's style. So I basically want to layer an additional trait (or at least an ongoing effect) on top of Tomb City, such that any undead who take up residence there encounter an endless series of traps, all the way from the mildly annoying (like holes in their coffins spilling their grave soil) to the potentially fatal (like blazing sunlight suddenly piercing into their sanctuary). If they eventually get sick of the traps and decide to raze their precious Tomb City themselves and start over with a place that won't go out of its way to (re-)kill its inhabitants -- or better yet, if they decide to rise up against the incompetent leader who let their enemy waltz right into all of their (un)holy sites that had previously been inviolate for millennia -- well, that's all fine with me too.

Mechanically speaking, I don't expect a single round action that is effectively a time-delayed area-effect spell to kill all my enemies at once -- though hopefully it's strong enough that a non-negligible number of mundane undead could perish, and Larissa herself might be wounded -- but definitely I'm looking to take them down a peg or two for their hubris (both in leaving their home so pitifully defended, and for having the gall to upset the natural order of things by cheating death). Trickster Spirit +4 and Inbetween All Worlds +2 gives a total of +6. I don't know if you want to resolve the roll now since I'm "attacking" the city, or in the future as an attack against the specific defensive traits of whichever undead happen to return, but my action is the same either way.

As always, nothing that I do should threaten the integrity of the Seals.

Remaining AP 11/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Belet-Seri briefly considers concealing her recent activities throughout the city, but as amusing as leaving Larissa with an unsolvable mystery would be, she figures that she can have a far more enduring effect by trumpeting her victory. And so, spending a fraction of her divine essence, she sets about leaving a lasting message for Larissa -- and for her followers.

Standing upon the apex of the Obsidian Ziggurat, the image of Belet-Seri will be triggered upon the return of a sizeable number of undead, and will speak so as to be heard throughout the city and its surroundings. "Greetings, Lords of Undeath!" she intones. "I am Belet-Seri, Recorder of the Dead and intermediary for Enmesarra, Judge and Regent of the Underworld. You must realize by now that your goddess has not the wisdom or foresight to defend your very homes from incursion by a solitary divine being, much less an army as fierce as that spawned in the Pits of Hell. Should you continue to follow Larissa, know that her failings will lead you all to Eternal Torment, for Enmesarra, who calls himself Malador, demands your souls for your offenses against his authority. And Larissa has not the strength to oppose him should he come for you.

"The Lords of Undeath have never been known to abide weakness, nor to suffer the delusions of one unfit to sit upon the Obsidian Throne. Ponder such things as your very homes rebel against you, and know whose vanity and foolishness is at the root of your plight."

And then, her final spell complete, Belet-Seri at long last departs the deserted streets and tombs of Thaisaidain.

This will be a time-delayed area-effect social attack, hitting on the same themes that ripped Larissa's undead followers from her last time. The goal is to unbalance Larissa's base of support and to get her followers questioning the legitimacy of her authority. I'm hoping that my vicious taunting will stack with any physical damage done by the traps I just set to make it even more likely that the undead will agitate for either a) violently overthrowing Larissa or at least b) forcing her to go up against Malador to prove that she's a worthy ruler.

Trickster Spirit +4 is at the heart of my social attack, bolstered by my Trickster Mask +4, epitomizing my power and glory as compared to the frailty and ineptitude of Larissa. As I am explicitly relying on my authority over the spirits of the dead, Inbetween All Worlds +2 applies as well. Total is +10 (+ any further Mask bonuses specifically against Larissa?), with 1 AP to top it off.

And finally, I'm done with this place. Next turn I'm off to find other gods to consult about what I found Deep Beneath.

Remaining AP 10/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude

Once again completely isolated, not only from mortals, but from every sign of their civilizations, Vicissitude is left with only his thoughts. Certainly, what gods remain must be informed of the threats that the Seals pose, he thought, and the possibility of other Seals in other locations (the Far North?) being the conduit for the Ice must be investigated. But who among the Gods who yet lived could be trusted with this information?

Surely those who were petty and grasping, like Larissa or Bismark, were out of the question. They would likely only cause further death and destruction and a more rapid advance of the Ice by trying to claim power for themselves. And those who shut themselves up in their homes in their vain attempts to stave off the encroaching Cold, like Wallastra or Aesculus, while not actively destructive could not be counted on to contribute much to the long-term survival of the world either. Certainly those who were mobile and at least marginally capable of fending off the cold -- such as Parelle or even Brother Yak -- would be useful allies on any actual trek North, but their wisdom and insight into the problem of the Ice was likely limited, as were the capabilities of their followers.

As Vicissitude thought more, he realized that, oddly enough, those who held him in the least esteem would actually be the most suited to working alongside him in his quest. The Steward of Hell and the God of the Dwarves both had reason to distrust him, so he would have to tread very carefully, but he had no doubt that they could ultimately be brought around to his way of thinking. And Vendruck, in particular, could be a powerful ally if he put the forges of his people to the task of creating items of power to fight against the Cold and speed them on their journey. No doubt the fires of Hell would be efficacious against the Ice as well, but the dwarves would need far more time to prepare for their role in what was to come, so they would have to be convinced first.

Having reached a decision, then, Vicissitude set off with all haste toward Batjullik.

----
I'm perfectly happy to get a null result for a random encounter -- it frees me up to do what I actually want to do.

While V's logic is valid it is, alas, not sound, given his ignorance of the prior Godbattle at Batjullik (and also given that he -- like everyone else -- doesn't take Parelle seriously enough), but what are you gonna do when you're a non-omniscient god? Obviously V is in for a bit of a surprise when he gets to Batjullik -- or at least, where it used to be -- but there are other things that I have in mind for him to do when he gets there a anyway. Collecting divine mojo left behind by other Gods to power his Mask and investigating Beneath Batjullik for any other Seals are both high on the to-do list, for example.

For the time being, Divine travel is effected primarily by Inbetween All Worlds +2, though as before Trickster Spirit +4 and Everything New Under the Sun +2 apply for avoiding the worst of the Ice. At the same time Without Light, There Are No Shadows -2 hampers the relevance of my tricksy mind in such an isolated setting. Total is +6 to get to Batjullik while making sure I don't fly right through the Cold or bounce too close to an Ice Storm. But hey, if anyone can make the run in under 12 parsecs, it's Han Solo Vicissitude!

Remaining AP: 10/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude, Ruins of Batjullik

Well that was…interesting, if nothing else. Vicissitude was expecting a bustling Dwarven metropolis that he might have to sneak or otherwise con his way into. Instead he found a ruin even more lifeless than Thaisaidain. So he begins to prowl the area, on the alert for danger but also using his Divine senses to reconstruct the battle -- who was present, who fought on which sides, who the victors (and losers) were and in what direction they marched off in glorious triumph (or fled in abject defeat), what could have absconded with an entire mountain, and what occurred when millions of voiced suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Whenever he encounters a location where Divine blood was spilled or Divine essence was used to great effect, he pauses to incorporate the traces of that God's essence into his Mask.

I presume that I can just learn everything about what transpired and which way everyone went without too much difficulty. If Traits are needed for a roll in that regard, Inbetween All Worlds +2 and Everything New Under the Sun +2 gives me a total of +4. Alternately, if a roll is needed to power up my Mask with the essence of Isath, Malador, Parelle, Vendruck, Bismark, and Arthak and his unnamed enslaved Gods, that will include Trickster Spirit and Trickster's Mask +4 for a total of +8, with 1 AP to ensure the power-up succeeds. If these actions together take two turns, that's fine too -- especially if one of those turns was "last turn" (i.e before the update you just dropped).

Remaining AP: 9/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 27, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Vicissitude learned much from his assay of the killing ground, but there was much that was still hidden, or scoured from the land by the passing of the enormous God. Was the thing linked to the Cold, he wondered, or was it simply driven south, as wolves flee a forest fire, or rats depart a sinking vessel? Either way, it was a new and dangerous threat to the remaining mortals, if not to himself. Its behavior and actions bore further scrutiny, at least briefly, if he was to survive any potential future confrontation with it.

But there was a great deal else to consider as well. First of all, how best could he take advantage of all the Divine essence scattered throughout the area? The dwarven hold was ruined and its inhabitants dead, carried off, or eaten; given Vendruck's belligerence, that would only have occurred over his dead body. So while there would be no one to gainsay Vicissitude's passing as Vendruck in the future, it was also unclear how Vicissitude himself could benefit from such duplicity if there were no dwarves left. Unsurprisingly, Arthak of the Boiling Blood and the Smugfather both seem to have been present for some of the battle as well, though their fate was even less clear than the DwarfLord's. They certainly both had the means and ability to defend themselves, though if the new God from the north could carry off an entire mountain, it might have the power to slay even the most puissant of Gods. Perhaps that was the way to go then…unlike claiming the mantle of the Dwarf God, claiming Bismark's Seat of Power would be far more fruitful. He held sway over so many mortals, Vicissitude would have so many opportunities for mischief. That thought certainly excited him, but his next thought brought nearly rapturous glee: if Malador had fallen, then Hell Itself might be ripe for the taking! Given his contentious history with the Judge of the Damned, Vicissitude could not bear to pass up such an opportunity. And if Malador somehow had escaped and lived on -- well, then, the challenge would be that much more interesting!

Grabbing Malador's mojo, without a doubt. And spending this round trying to understand how Isath functions, the goal being to get an Upshift against it in any future conflict -- ideally one that could be transferred to someone else if they're going up against it too (I'm imagining some bit of tactical knowledge like "It likes to send out tendrils to burrow beneath the earth and attack you from behind -- you gotta watch out for that!"). Trickster Spirit +4 and Everything New Under the Sun +2 = +6 Total. It can be argued, at least, that this is in my own self-interest, but any further investigation of Batjullik will likely fall afoul of my Spirit of Chaos, because I'd much rather be off trying to steal Malador's kingdom out from under his nose.

Remaining AP: 9/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Very good, Vicissitude thought to himself. He was at least as prepared as he possibly could be should the giant god-monster seek to devour him.

And now, time to go about the business that brought him to Batjullik in the first place. But because Vendruck himself was unavailable to offer assistance or counsel, Vicissitude would have to complete his task on his own. But perhaps that way was better after all -- who knew what imagined slight might set the DwarfLord off and cause him to fly into a frothing rage. Yes, far better to be on my own, even if the search Beneath Batjullik were more taxing as a result, he muses as he begins his descent into the depths of the earth below where the Dwarven Realm once stood.

Searching in the caverns Beneath Batjullik for:
1) Any mystical energy nexus akin to the Seals in Thaisaidain. My tentative hypothesis is that these things are all over, and one (or more) in the Far North is the source of the Ice. Finding more instances of these things would improve my understanding of how to use their energy and (perhaps more importantly) how to shut them for good if they are in fact the cause of the Cold.
2) Any artifacts created by Vendruck: weapons, tools, whatever -- he was the god of Artifice, there should be some stuff lying around in the vaults that were exposed when Batjullik was torn from its moorings. Either I can carry them with me and use them later (if only to fool the dwarves that I don't yet know are alive) or I can at least siphon off the mojo that Vendruck dropped into them to further empower my mask.
3) Any mortal survivors. Not as concerned about this, to be honest, but if they're there, I may as well see what they know and try to get them someplace (relatively) safe.

Everything New Under the Sun +2 and Inbetween All Realms +2 apply for moving swiftly through the caverns and searching for repositories of Divine Power (either originating from Vendruck or pre-dating his existence), with Trickster Spirit +4 as well, assuming such repositories would normally be well-hidden from prying eyes. However Spirit of Chaos -2 also applies, as Vicissitude is keen to get moving and make use of the edge he has against Malador rather than continue to follow up on his potentially world-saving hunches. Similarly, Without Light, There Are No Shadows -2 applies, since there is neither divine nor mortal present to actually be tricking -- just the inanimate earth that will either yield up its secrets, or not. Total +4; dropping 1AP on this as well to attune his Divine Essence with any Sources of Power in the vicinity.

Remaining AP: 8/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Malador", Ruins of Batjullik

Well then, Vicissitude thought to himself. That was mostly useless. No artifacts of Vendruck to exploit, no survivors to question, and perhaps most important of all, no further hints of the Seals akin to those that were such a vital feature of the terrain Beneath Thaisaidain. What a disappointment that there was no way to further test his hunch about the ultimate cause of the Cold. Yes, truly a shame that he was unburdened by further knowledge of how he might save the world from the crushing grip of the Ice.

With barely contained glee as his true nature as a God of Chaos reasserted itself, Vicissitude slipped on his Trickster's Mask and hastily departed for the one location that few were ever eager to visit: Hell. The only question that Vicissitude still pondered was whether Malador himself was licking his wounds while sulking behind his Black Gates or not. If not, then "Malador" would gain admittance easily. If he were, then he was nevertheless certain that he'd be able to talk his way out of any confrontation with the real Warden of Hell that he might instigate by showing up on his doorstep while wearing the Sullen God's perpetually brooding face.

Bamfing my way to the Black Gates of Hell. Inbetween All Worlds +2 is my primary mode of travel, but with regards to avoiding the worst of the Ice, Trickster Spirit +4/Without Light, There Are No Shadows -2 augmented by the Tricksters Mask +4/Mirror Without Reflection -2 and Everything New Under the Sun +2 also apply. Total is +8 to travel while keeping myself from the clutches of the Cold.

Assuming the travel is successful (and why wouldn't it be, since I know the way like the back of my hand?), I'm appearing at the Black Gates in a cloud of sulfurous smoke and in the guise of Malador. This may need to be resolved next round when I actually demand passage through the Gates, but…I'm rolling with Trickster Spirit +4 along with Trickster's Mask +4 + Trickster Mask Special Ability +2? (since the Mask has absorbed the Divine Essence of Malador), plus Inbetween All Worlds +2 given the insight I have on Malador from my interactions with him in the course of my divine duties = +12 to deceive Malador's servants that their Lord and Warden has returned.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 16, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Malador", The Gates of Hell

"I have returned!" the voice of Malador booms out with divine intensity over the assembled souls and crashes against the Black Gates. The form of Malador strides forward without hesitation, knowing that Malador's own Gates will be opened for Malador. "See to it that these souls are prepared for their Final Judgement!" Malador adds, Malador's arms waving toward the assembled souls cowering from Malador's terrible, beautiful presence. Yep, it's definitely Malador, and totally not someone else.

I'm rolling with Trickster Spirit +4 along with Trickster's Mask +4 + Trickster Mask Special Ability +2? (since the Mask has absorbed the Divine Essence of Malador), plus Inbetween All Worlds +2 given the insight I have on Malador from my interactions with him in the course of my divine duties = +12 to deceive Malador's servants that their Lord and Warden has returned.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

While he had desired to wound Malador's pride substantially, actually slaying the Warden of Hell outright was not an option he had considered. But regardless, someone had rendered all his carefully-planned stratagems moot by doing just that. And now the Gates of Hell threatened to burst, spilling the imprisoned souls out to wreak havoc on a world already reeling from the crushing Ice. While a great many souls within the Realm of Constant Death were no doubt harmless, a great many were not. Regardless of his disagreements with Malador over countless eons, they had actually seen eye-to-eye on some important matters regarding the fate of mortal souls, and he had guided countless fallen creatures to the God of the Underworld for judgement as part of their bargain. He would not see the work that he had performed ever since the first mortal had died undone all in a moment. He would intervene; he had to. And so, "Malador" reacts swiftly to the chaotic changes swirling around him. After all, they were not wholly unlike the chaos that he had hoped to unleash upon Hell himself; but now he sought to undo the effects of the chaos rather than inflict them.

Applying Inbetween All Worlds +2 with Everything New Under the Sun +2, hampered by Spirit of Chaos -2 (since deep down I really do want to see what happens when the Gates of Hell are torn asunder). Although I'm not specifically using Trickster Spirit, Trickster's Mask +4 is imbued with the essence of Malador, so that should help; at the same time, Trickster's Mask Special Ability +2 is probably canceled by Mirror Without Reflection -2 since I'm trying to mimic Malador's powers rather closely. Total is +6, plus 3 AP to gain control over the Black Gate. For the moment I'm attempting to reinforce Hell's boundaries with my own Divine strength so that what is inside cannot get out. Whether or not that succeeds, and what other poo poo hits the fan in the meantime, will determine what I do next.

Incidentally, if Vendruck is back with his Dwarves, his help would be most…helpful.

Remaining AP: 5/16
[/quote]

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"Malador" feigns a wounded look. "Why, Parelle, you do not recognize me, even after we shared the warmth of the Old God's fire together? Granted, I was furrier and more...quadrupedal then. But I see that you yourself have undergone no less significant changes. I like the new, sharper edges," the false Malador says playfully -- and almost flirtatiously. He continues on, "Normally, I would be effusive in my congratulations on deposing the Warden of Hell, but your coup seems to be rather ill-timed at present. Nevertheless, I believe that we can keep your newly-acquired Realm from consuming all of mortal existence... If you can keep Hell from encroaching too far upon the Mortal world from Beneath, I shall attempt to circumvent the Black Gates and see if the Abbatoir of the Damned can be calmed from the inside. I would guess that there is Ice pushing at the Black Gates from inside as well; whatever assistance you can provide in mitigating the effects of the Cold before I attempt to enter would be welcome."

Assuming Pirsuq is not attacking, "Malador" will consume the souls that are on the verge of being lost to the Ice right here on Hell's doorstep. That's what, +3 AP?
Also: Parelle already has the benefits of a Pantheon, but how about if I join in too -- at least for now? On top of that (or as part of the deal), if Parelle wants to hand over some Hell-related power, temporarily or otherwise, that would be just great. Unless she wants to try going in herself...

Remaining AP: 8/16.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"You talk too much, especially when it is time for action," the form of Malador replies glibly. "These souls here will perish from the Ice even as we bandy words about, safe (for the time being) in our mantles of divine power. Think not just of these paltry few here, but of all the souls above, and especially all the souls in danger at Home.

"As to your other wishes -- the dead are dead. It has been my role for millennia to see that they are brought to judgement; I will not abandon that task just because you ask nicely. That said, their ultimate fate was never before within my purview. If, when all is said and done, Hell responds to my will, then I am willing to consider whether the prior Judge had been unjustly harsh with this soul or that one.

"But that comes after. If you wish to assist me in taming Hell, for your own safety and that of your followers, then do so now. Otherwise, I will act as I always have: on my own."

My proposal is much more of a foxhole-pantheon with the goal of getting through the immediate crisis. I'm not interested in lots of terms and conditions.

quote:

So the quick contract would be:
1. Don't kill the souls unless they're unable to be rehabilitated. In which case mercy kill them. If none are able to be rehabilitated you're welcome to all of them along with all of the AP for converting and killing them.

See above. I'm not interested in consuming everything in Hell, but these unprotected souls out here are screwed anyway. So that's a no on point #1.

quote:

2. Fix Hell and put it back where it was.

That's the entire point of our agreement. If I am to pull this off and actually pacify Hell from the inside, I will need the Warden of Hell powers (preferably the full +4).

quote:

3. Parelle gets as many redeemable souls as she wants. She won't take them all. Just as many as she figures she can handle. Less than five or six million so Home isn't completely overwhelmed with the recently damned. So if they can be redeemed she'll take what she can and you can do what you want with the rest of them as long as you end their suffering, which probably means killing them. She doesn't like the idea of killing them all, but the whole endless torture thing is worse.

I don't do wholesale resurrection, and I didn't set the rules about eternal torment and the like. I'm happy to revisit some of the parameters of the afterlife, but if I get Hell to obey me, I'm not handing over a big chunk of the souls to you and then euthanizing the rest. So that means no dice on #3, at least in its current form -- but see #5 below.

quote:

4. At the end of fixing Hell the Warden of Hell domain is yours or equivalent +2 or more item or holy ground. If you really want a demigod I would advise against it. It's like herding cats. More can be arranged if there's more risk.

So you give me +4 Warden of Hell up front, and I give +2 back when the crisis is past? I can get behind that.

quote:

5. Parelle is not stuck with the Warden of Hell job. Killing Malador was a means, not an end. If she's in charge of it she'll actively try to run that poo poo into the ground and it will probably be bad for everyone.

I'm not so keen on babysitting the souls of the dead either. I'll do it if I have to, but I think the principle of "You broke it, you bought it" applies here. On top of that, if you keep the job long-term, then there's no quibbling with me about resurrection, putting souls out of their misery, and the like -- the souls would be yours to do with as you see fit. But if you foist the job off onto me, you don't then get to dictate the terms of what my Hell would look like.

So:
#1: Even if I wanted to preserve these souls, I'm not sure I could save them from the encroaching Ice. Better to use them now than give them over to the Cold.
#2 and #4: Give me the power you got off of Malador's corpse, and I'll do whatever I can to save the world by saving Hell.
#3 or #5: Basically, pick one. You get to determine the ultimate fate of the souls in question, or you can wash your hands of your responsibility for Hell, but not both.

If you can stomach that deal, we have ourselves a Panthenon!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"We are in agreement, then. You and your demi-god shall remain outside and fend of the encroachment of Hell upon the mortal world, while I go behind the Gates to re-establish the bounds of Hell from within. Let us recognize this pact with the mingling of our Divine blood."

With the temporary transfer from Parelle and the new +2 from joining a Pantheon, I am adding +4 Warden of Hell to my divine portfolio.

Edit: As part of the ritual of agreement, I'm offering Parelle 1 AP for emergencies, since I think she's completely tapped out. However (and this I am definitely not laying out explicitly for Parelle), I want to funnel the Divine essence that she shares with me into my Mask, so that I can use its abilities for Parelle-related shenanigans in the future. If I need to do the actual Empowerment behind her back, that's fine, as long as I can get a bit of her Divine essence now.

Assuming Parelle takes 1, Remaining AP: 7/24

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 16, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

"Malador" feels the new power suffusing his essence. I could get used to this, he thinks. And after all, the kind-hearted Parelle knows nothing of judging souls, and at least I have been present for the proper justice that the former Malador dispensed upon the mortals. His idle (for now) speculations aside, "Malador" also feels something that he has not experienced for quite some time: with his connection to the Pantheon, he notices the sensation of mortal devotion. Of course, he hears prayers often, since those who are dying usually call upon something to save them, but he is not generally inclined to act until such souls ceased to breathe their prayers -- or for that matter, to breathe at all. But now, the devotion of the living runs like electricity through his divine senses. Such power could be most useful for what I must do. And after all, if I am going to save them, don't I perhaps deserve their devotion?
So he studies the Black Gates, using his divine connection to the massive structures to discover the minutest of cracks within the metaphysical barrier. At the same time "Malador" gathers the power of devotion that is now open to him. And then, prepared as he can possibly be, he places his hands upon the Gates, and disappears.

Consuming the souls present should only get me 3 AP. But now I'm drawing on the devotion of the worshippers of the Pantheon to gain as much AP I can. I don't know how many un-tapped followers Parelle has, but 1.7 million will take me from 7 AP to 24 AP. Then I am attempting to sneak into Hell without actually opening up the Black Gates and releasing Hell (or worse, Ice) into the mortal world.
Trickster Spirit +4, Trickster's Mask +4/Malador's Essence +2, Between All Worlds +2, Everything New Under the Sun +2, Hell Warden +4, Trickster's Ward +2(?) = +20.

Remaining AP: 7 + ? /24

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Malador", Limbo: The First Layer of Hell

"Malador" smiles smugly as he feels the Wildings chaotic nature respond to his own. Already he had begun to co-opt their devotion from the one who had created them. Not that he necessarily wanted or needed it, but it was gratifying to know that he had yet another implement in his bag of tricks, should he ever need to call upon it.

And then "Malador" is through the Black Gates. Whatever he is expecting (Infernal Hellfire? An afterlife frozen solid in Ice?), a furious assault from the remnant of the Dwarves is not it. But "Malador" is nothing if not quick on his feet. Though his newly-acquired role as Hell Warden might, if left unchecked, result in a more hidebound outlook, at the moment it still augmented his more fundamental Divine nature. And so, with both old and new powers at his disposal, he responds.

"FOOLS!" he bellows. "You might occupy Hell at my sufferance, but I AM Hell! Why would you claw and scratch in a futile attempt to usurp my authority when your true enemies are those cowering behind your backs, scheming to use your bodies and blood for their own craven profits! It is them you should be seeking to tear limb-from-limb!"

It looks like the internal structure of Hell is actually holding up for now, metaphysically speaking. So first order of business is to get Wrath off of my back, and the best way to do that is to get him fighting with the other Demigods of Sin. Actually, this whole "civil war" notion was the plan I had in place for punking Malador even before he up and died on me. Ultimately, once the denizens of Hell have sufficiently descended into bitter squabbling and Chaotic infighting, I can take the whole place and shatter it to bits - and then re-mould it nearer to my heart's desire.

Talking fast to create an area-effect social attack on the DwarfLord of Wrath and his followers, demanding that they

Trickster Spirit +4, Trickster's Mask +4/Malador's Essence +2, Between All Worlds +2, Everything New Under the Sun +2, Hell Warden +4 = +18 to foil the dwarven ambush from a defensive standpoint. As far as offense goes, I am using those same stats to compel them to turn on the back-stabbing little bitches who likely pose the more significant threat to my hold on Hell at present.
These dwarves are not my worshippers, so what do I care if they die by the hundreds of thousands? And if Wrath or Envy themselves fall, I'll just have to do a little corporate restructuring to fill in the gaps.

Remaining AP: 10/24

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Malador", Limbo: The First Layer of Hell --> Fraud, the Eighth Layer of Hell

With the infernal dwarves taken care of -- at least temporarily -- "Malador" surveys the plain of Limbo, his gaze returning again and again to the Gates of Hell. Unless Parelle succeeds beyond his wildest imaginings, it is likely that the Black Gates will eventually be threatened by the Ice from without, despite the additional Wards that "Malador" placed upon them. So he sets about creating an Unquenchable Fire, placing it carefully in the heart of the Gates to heat them from within, strengthening their ability to beat back the Cold advancing upon them.

And then "Malador" saunters casually down the broad sloping plain, making his way toward the lower reaches of Hell. If Vendruck were in charge of some aspects of Hell currently, it would likely be the realms devoted to Greed, Anger, and Violence, so "Malador" decides it is best to bypass those areas entirely and make straight for those domains where he would find natural allies. If beings embodying "Fraud" and "Treachery" could ever be considered allies by anyone...

Not many traits are relevant for this initial task of shoring up the defenses, only Between All Worlds +2 and Hell Warden +4 = +6, with 1AP added in. The goal is to add something like a permanent Cold Resistance trait to the Gates. Then "Malador" is making a beeline for the last two levels of Hell -- Fraud and Treachery. Getting the denizens of those two levels to turn against the other residents of Hell should be easy for one naturally inclined to deceit and trickery.

Remaining AP: 9/24

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude, Fraud: the Eighth Layer of Hell

His disguise might have been rendered useless by now, but perhaps its cessation could still afford him the appearance of earnest honesty...after all, even the truth could be useful sometimes.

As the form of "Malador" melts away, revealing the true(?) form of the Trickster God beneath, Vicissitude speaks. "You just stay on your fat rear end there, my indolent friend. I have no quarrel with you, nor with your Master, and I have no desire to claim what is rightfully his. I am here to ensure that Hell survives intact the demise of its former Warden, and then I shall depart -- or do you truly think I, of all Gods, wish to spend my existence inhabiting the tedious role of jailer to a multitude of disgrutled souls? No, I come because Hell itself is threatened by upheaval from within and by Ice from without, and if the bounds of Hell should falter, all manner of Evil would escape into the mortal realm. There has been enough death and destruction already from the Cold; the mortal races would not long survive if the denizens of the Afterlife were released into their midst as well. So tell me: where is your Master? I would speak with him about the matter of Hell's boundaries, and if he is willing, the greater threat to the existence of all -- mortals and Gods alike. While I do not flatter myself to think he wishes me as an ally in perpetuity, it might just be that we can provide mutual assistance to one another, for the time being."

As he finishes speaking, he kneels and places his palm gently upon the fleshy, writhing surface, while his face creases into a smile. And then he sings, his lilting voice carrying deep beneath the surface, reaching the ears of the Cthonic Titans and soothing them with a gently lullaby. When The Trickster needed to acquire something from beneath the watchful gaze of a vigilant guard, a lullably was quite often his weapon of choice to facilitate their slumber, but this time his power over the will of others was augmented by his newfound mastery of the entire realm of Hell. He would show Sloth -- and more importantly, the one propping up the demigod -- that (for once) he spoke the truth, and that their desires were actually in accord.

Trickster Spirit +4 along with Between All Worlds +2 and Hell Warden +4 to assist Sloth in keeping "his" prisoners in line. Alas, the temptation to release the Titans instead and enjoy the Chaos that would ensue is strong, so Spirit of Chaos -2 is working against him. Total is +8. With any luck this display of solidarity will convince Sloth to trust me just enough to actually summon Vendruck.

Remaining AP: 9/24

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude, Fraud: the Eighth Layer of Hell

The Elder Denizens of Hell had been returned to passivity, but it did not have the effect he desired upon Sloth. Did the demigod truly think to outmaneuver the Trickster God? Vicissitude doesn't even need to to hear the words passing his flabby lips like so much flatulence to recognize the attempt to play him for a fool. There are far better ways to accomplish what he desired than to bandy words with the physical manifestation of Indolence, he decides. The titans might have been the wrong tool for the job (alas!), but there is plenty of other material present to work with...

With a sigh of disappointment at what the situation now necessitated, Vicissitude dons his mask and turns his back on Sloth to address the mortals wallowing in suffering all around him. He had engineered the escape of individual souls from Hell every now and then, but he had never before considered a jailbreak on a massive scale. Let's see how this goes, he thinks to himself, as his features flow once again to form...the face of the most cherished individual to each and every mortal consigned to this place -- the one whose memory just might jar them from their be-numbed state. Then, to the assembled souls he cries out, "Your time of punishment is at an end! Rise up, cast off your suffering, and regain that which you most craved in life: freedom from all laws and boundaries! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"

Apart from making sure the poo poo didn't hit the fan in a big way, V came here seeking allies to topple Vendruck and ensure that he himself was in charge of the place...purely for the safety of the mortal realm, of course. The collection of Fraudsters he is summoning don't have to fight for him, they just needed to act up against Vendruck for his plan to succeed.

Trickster Spirit +4 and Trickster's Mask +4, along with Everything New Under the Sun +2, Between All Worlds +2, and Hell Warden +4 to wrest all the (mortal) souls inhabiting the Eighth Layer of Hell from Sloth's clutches, to basically form an army of pissed-off revolutionaries. Total is +14, plus 3AP since this is certain to be a lot of souls to try to grab at once.

Let's see if this gets Vendruck's attention.

Remaining AP: 6/24

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude, Treachery: the Ninth Layer of Hell

Buoyed by the ray of hope he offered, Vicissitude's new-found followers swarm around him, clamoring for his attention and direction. And he obliges them!

"Onward!" he cries, leading them away from the unmoving form of their jailer, and down toward the realm of Treachery. "Let us free those who have languished alongside you in their bonds, and together we shall cast off the yoke of your oppressors!" As the throng marches in his wake, Vicissitude casts out his senses, looking for the one who has so far been too cowardly to confront him. As Master of Hell, he was aware of everyone and everything that transpired in his domain; the Dwarf God would not be hard to find. But just what "surprises" did he think to have in store for the inevitable confrontation?

Sloth can sit there and buff himself forever, as far as I am concerned. I'm refreshing my AP with as much Faith as my new followers will give me, then moving with my army of miscreants into the next layer of Hell, to repeat the process with the imprisoned souls there. On top of basic AP refresh and simple movement, I want to determine Vendruck's location and the extent of his recent actions, so my followers and I can be ready to take the fight to him in a round or two (unless he is indeed on his way, as Sloth indicated).

Between All Worlds +2, Hell Warden +4, Trickster Spirit +4 = +10, 1AP to scry out Vendruck's location, and to discover what he has been up to for the last several rounds instead of coming to talk to me as I asked. What tricks and traps has he been putting in place to trip me up when I come for him?

Remaining AP: 15/24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Loki, Fraud: the Eighth Fiefdom of Niflheim

Loki finds himself becoming increasingly cross with Sloth for delaying his journey, and first thinks to lash out and destroy the arrogant demigod once and for all. But then the far-seeing God of Deceit spies Vendruck with all his servants crafting a mighty Jotun from the deepest Ice of Niflheim. Such would be a powerful guardian indeed, and given the divine essence that the Dwarf-Lord had poured into it, Loki would be hard-pressed to defeat it, much less see the Dwarf-Lord cast down from his throne afterward. But fortunately for the Trickster, his enemy has graciously given him the very tools he needs to accomplish his ultimate goals, in the form of the Jotun itself. That it was made from the manifestation of the realm of Treachery itself made the irony that much sweeter.

I have never thought to create my own demigod before, Loki thinks slyly. So it is most fortunate that Vendruck has done the deed for me. Now all that remains is to ensure that which he made from my realm recognizes its true Master. And if the Dwarf-Lord is as good at his craft as he boasts, then I need not worry about the gates he has set in place between the disparate fiefdoms of Niflheim, for he will surely tear them down himself in his haste to flee from his own creation! And once the Dwarf-Lord lies broken at my feet, it might be that this being of Ice and Cold will share its knowledge of the curse that has been laid upon Midgard as well...

Whispering his wisdom into Vendruck's ear, Loki watches from afar as the Master Craftsman completes his work. But as Vendruck steps back to marvel at his creation of dwarven Technology, demonic Magic, and frigid Ice, Loki once again dons his Trickster's Mask and summons the power of the former Warden of Hell before sending his Divine Will forth. "ARISE, THRYM, KING OF ALL FROST GIANTS, FOR RAGNAROK IS AT HAND!" the image of Hell's Warden booms out above the lands of Treachery. "The Dwarf-Lord Andvare may have had a hand in fashioning your form, but stunted creatures such as he are in truth nought but maggots in the corpse of Ymir! Listen to your true Master! Fulfill your rightful destiny, and destroy those who oppose you!"

I am letting Vendruck finish his preparations -- and even discreetly helping him out, insofar as I can ensure the success of his creation from afar. But most importantly, once the Giant is ready, I am seizing control of it/animating it myself. Trickster Spirit +4, Trickster's Mask +4/Malador's Essence +2, Between All Worlds +2, Everything New Under the Sun +2, Hell Warden +4 = +18, plus 10 AP to ensure the successful creation of, but more importantly my absolute control over, Thrym (regardless of the likely objections of Vendruck and his hangers-on).

Remaining AP: 5/24

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 24, 2015

• Locked thread