Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aesculus

A Portrait of Aesculus as Guardian of The Lost

quote:

[+4]- Master of Metal Working Aesculus was the first amongst the southern Pantheon to develop the process of Metal and Stone working, his mastery of the flint knife, the obsidian blade and the iron sword are legendary. But he also made many fine items for the gods of his pantheon. Now starved of the resources he needs Aesculus moves through the world ahead of the storm trying to build something anything that will slow the advancing winter.

[+2]- Defender of the Home Aesculus was left at home when his friends and lords in the Pantheon went to speak about the great winter, as he always was. His role, his reason for being is to defend and to protect. It was to him that Mercenaries prayed too in order to survive one more day, it was to him that those who had to hold bridges built shrines. Let the glorious ones grab the prizes, they will only have somewhere to come back to because of Aesculus and those who follow him.

[+2]- Wielder of Fire Aesculus is said to have taken Fire when the Sun was young and did not know how to use it's power responsibly. There are legends of him stealing it to heat the house of his God during the first night time. Whatever the truth Aesculus is very able to manipulate and use fire, no matter how useless it now appears against the coming Ice Age.

[-4]- Does not Run Aesculus has only run once and that was when the heart was frozen inside the chest of Hal-Shammar at the death of the Pantheon. And only then because he had been told to flee if His Father died defending them all. He hates this stain on his honour and will do anything to either expunge it, or to prevent anything like it from happening again.

Aesculus picked up the owls empty eye socket for a moment before calling for one of the many priests that Ascalon needed to take it away "Take it to the forge, I have something in mind to give hope to the people with it". Bending down he also saw the misplaced note and examined it quizically. "If there was ever a time for more weirdness could it not have been prior to the end of the world?" he mused almost smiling to himself before writing out a short missive to one of the various rat catcher guilds to both up patrols and ensure that the amount of people around both the waste pits and the grain bins were briefed on how it was their holy duty to defend against both disease and theft.

He set off down the stairs from his tower, doing brief calculations as to the best way to strengthen the walls against the potential growth of permafrost, before he made it to the Forge, the Owls eyes were still in his hand as he laid one down on the anvil and began to go to work. If he could view the storms before they happened -Clang- or at the very least before they arrived -Clang- he could accept even more people in and know when, -Clang- should the day come when he had to turn people away -Clang- when that would be.

Whilst at work he called over one of his smith priests. "Carrosh at your service my Lord" says the woman, her face speaks of small cares and soot, Aesculus kneels down so that his great horned mask is about level with her and speaks in his bass rumble "Carrosh, I need you to gather the remaining forge priests and any of those who are known to you that can read or write, I need a collection of tales, to work out if there is anything from them that can be used to fight this unholy winter."

Plans:
Trying to make one of the eyes into an automatic "early warning" system for incoming storms. The thing is to be mounted into a tower on the outskirts. [+4 Metalworking]
Going to get my men in the storage to do some scouting and awareness training for the rats, we need to make sure little is lost [+2 Defender of the home] defending it from loss and ruin!
Sending my people out to gather stories and make a series of tales and songs to give people hope and to try and gather clues for any "mundane" way to fight the cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

That is exactly what I intended, thank you!

Aesculus
16/16 AP

The tower was built, and with it he could see (hopefully) if any storms were brewing around this fortress. Aesculus moved to the Occulus array, bringing glass lens into contact with crystal, then with obsidian and then with steel. Gazing through he attempted to discern where the nearest and (if possible) the intensity of the storm. Spending some time working on that Aesculus eases out the tension in his neck and starts to make his way back to his central command.

But an early warning system is no good without an actual defence. Aesculus moved down to the teaming masses, moving himself through them as some through up the Holy Horns whilst others prayed to his father and siblings for aid, as well as thanking him. All looked cold and frightened, and with so many of the other Gods dead it was no real surprise. Seeing this Aesculus happened upon an idea, if he could get the people motivated and working it would give them something to work towards, especially if they could help with the upkeep of the city instead of sitting around.

He spoke quietly to several members of the other faiths before making his way to the largest plaza in Ascalon. Raising his mask so that people could more clearly here his voice he boomed "People of Ascalon, followers of my brothers and sisters, I stand before you as one of the few survivors of a horrific event. All of you have done admirably to survive this long and have proven yourselves as both fated and powerful, but I have a task for those of you brave enough to attempt the impossible. I wish to lead a small band of priests and followers to seek out some of my brothers and sisters, in this wasteland we shall all pull together to ensure that, once this nightmare has passed, we shall march once more to glory!"

Spending 1 AP to do my very best scrying and attempt to find anything of interest and/or any coming storms around my city, then using my divinity to try and assemble a team (lets call them seekers for now) who will aid me in the hunt for any sign of my lost siblings (please PM me if you want to make up any of them, I would like to collaborate on this if at all possible).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16

The seekers were heading out into the wastes, looking for his brothers, his tower had been built to show him what more was coming and now his forge priests simply needed to gather the followers of others together for research. A good days work thus far, Aesculus thought as he wandered the streets. His citizens looked on in something approaching awe as he moved past, before he stopped and looked directly upwards. Of course! How could he not have seen it before! Picking his feet up and pounding towards the forge he sent a messenger for, what was her name again? I will need to keep notes, Carrosh!

He made his way to the forge and began sketching out plans for a divine dome to cover the roof of the city. There had already been defences against aerial attack beforehand but a true defence against the weather was now needed. It would need to be strong and allow sunlight through to reach the growing pits, but sturdy also, it would also take time to construct, and would mean that the people had something to do other than tend to farming animals and feel worried about the death of the Gods.

Beginning designs for a grand dome to cover the city. This is going to take a lot of resources and time, but should provide a very good [+2] defence against weather, in particular snow and so on. The dome is going to be made of glass and be able to be deployed from various metal pylons around the city, it is also going to be heated from the grand forge and/or innate fire magic. This is a long term project, so I will probably be working on it in the background for a little while, but for now I am going to be setting out designs using Metal working[+4] and Defend [+2] in order to begin the work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16 AP

"Knee deep in metal and suddenly I have to deal with something else. Hold on to this for a moment my friends" Aesculus said whilst heading for the door "I think I have something to deal with."

As he slid down a ladder he began preparing for what these 'monsters' could be, they must be led a god of some description otherwise the creature would not have appeared on his senses but for it to appear now? Perhaps it wanted food, or shelter? If it did then the creature would either have to go through him or over his body. Aesculus began to tighten the straps on his armour, adjusting the helm so that it would be easier for the creature to know who they were dealing with.

He gathered some of his more trusted commanders and headed to the sewerage entrance, and began descending the ladder. "Soldiers, you have pledged to give your lives for this place, for us this is all that we can and must do, the people above must be defended and I will ensure that whatever happens we shall be remembered." With that Aesculus went down on one knee and began lighting the torches of the men who followed, infusing part of his divine essence into them to make their beams brighter and the fire sting more if needed.

"Follow me, and have no fear!" The steady sound of tramping feet filled the sewerage system as he began to feel the walls of this most ancient part of the city. Must remember to strengthen these in case of ice from below or attacks like this in the future, Aesculus noted. There was no immediate sign of the horde that was coming, not even bones of watchmen (which he had feared to find) and instead there seemed to be an almost overpowering silence.

Desiring to have a confrontation as fast as possible Aesculus roared into the Tunnels in the hope that whatever was there would hear "Who comes to the domain of Aesculus, warden of the holy flame, defender of the hearth and chief son of the Sky Father himself! Whoever comes before me make yourself known or flee back to whereever spawned you!"

Okay, leaving the whimsy dome to one side for now, heading into the tunnels and using Defender [+2] and Flame[+2] to augment my soldiers and myself, trying to find out what these monsters are and forcing them to come to me, yelling into the dark to try and find out where they are.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- knee deep in sewer
15/16

Aesculus almost laughed to see the scurrying creatures bring forth tribute to him and their god "I think this is a decent level of tribute to a man whose sewers you are currently occupying. And they are not my rats. They simply live near my fortress." creaking slowly to sit the God turned and said "stand back, this is an affair between Gods." The soldiers looked hesitant especially at the ugliness of the creatures that had come forth, but moved themselves to the far end of the sewer, perhaps just out of bow shot range.

"So, why are you here? And what do you want? There is little I can do for anyone at the moment, my supplies are large but I have no clue as to how long this cold will last and who knows how long I and my people will need food for."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sewer beneath Ascalon- Aesculus
15/16

The creature was one of the strangest things he had ever clapped eyes on, everything about it was hideous, but Aesculus knew a creature that cared for its own and wanted to do the best it could, even if it was about as civilized as the creatures it lived with, the deal was useful and allowed yet another layer of defence on top of the patrols that visited this area. But this talk of a 6 horned rat... that was worrisome, perhaps he should offer some help to this creature and he began to worry about the possibility of the "worse things".

"Your terms are very agreeable, and I would be more than happy to aid you in finding safe harbour for your people. I can provide some help alongside a place to live though. I presently possess a single crystal from the eye of a clockwork owl, perhaps you would like to trade for it, to help you both keep the sewers clearer and to help you find this 'six horned rat?'"

"Of course I will give you time to think on this" Aesculus raised himself up on to his legs "Your terms are hereby sealed, none shall harm you as long as you and your kindred refrain from causing harm or additional distress to my citizens." Aesculus extended one gigantic mailed hand in the traditional grip given to seal a contract, though refrained from spitting on it in case the creature decided to do the same "I do not know your name? May I know it, creature, so that we may have a true compact between Gods?"

That all sounds awesome, but I have a shiny crystal to trade! I am open to offers, but really I would like your help on the surface in terms of making stuff and hunting stuff out. But this all sounds excellent. Bits and pieces of food are usually recycled in nurient vats for true emergencies, but there is some stuff that cannot be recycled and I will send that to you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
Ap: 15/16

Having spoken with the rat things living beneath the sewer Aesculus returns to the daylight world and continues to work on both the Dome and to await the arrival of his servants that had gone forth into the world.

Urgh, bad mcterrible post here I am afraid. Wanted to write something but no idea what to do at the moment, will wait too hear back and come up with something over the next few days. Working on the dome Metalworking[+4], using my defensive abilities to help my rat brothers Defence [+2] Thank you so much for your patience, have been having a somewhat crappy time of it lately.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 22, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16

The dome was finished! With this at least some change had come to the globe, yet another line of defence that the storm would have to contend with. Aesculus listened closely to the tales and growled when there seemed to be little success. The fact that the winter had claimed the life of his father and a variety of other Solar deities was worrying, perhaps if he could create an artificial sun? No, such things were bound to end poorly, shelve it for now. Walking the streets the mood seemed somewhat optimistic. The people were generally huddled close together but the vast majority had enough to eat, housing and so on, there was very little that could be done now to prepare other than to wait for the first strike by the winter. He turned to his priests and asked, "If there are any additional secret myths that you can ferret out, do so, I fear these initial attempts may prove fruitless and any information is good".

Aesculus seated himself in the tower of sight and focused the lens far to the North, perhaps some kind of hint what had been attempted and failed. He had brought the old head of the Owl with him and, in between sightings along the tower, he got to work on crafting something to communicate more easily with the entire population of the city. He hoped that the old owl would appreciate (in its clockwork way) that it was being used to teach others again.

Using the Tower for [+2]Tower of Sight to examine the northern reaches for anything that shows a hint for what is happening with the winter, see if there is a force directing it too if possible.
Also going to use Metalworking [+4] to craft the Owls head to the side of the tower with a tube running through it so that I can talk directly through it and alarms can be rung in case of unwelcome discoveries via the Tower.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 24, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
20/16 AP

Aesculus felt a bolt of divine energy flow into him as he stood int he tower of sight, he had not realised that his own high holy day had come around so soon! If even he could forget something like this... it was enough to make him terribly afraid for all of the men whom he had sworn to defend. He knew that he would have to essay the divine energy into something quickly, to prevent some manner of detonation.

He drew himself up, moved to his Anvil and began to strike at it, hammering the divinity into a shape that would allow him to hold back the darkness with more ease, that would allow him to truly possess a means to defend both himself and his people. With it he fashioned a spear of powerful proportions, imbued with the power of Fire. Into the Armour he poured his defensive spirit and his true power of metalworking, he was determined to be the Bulwark that his people required against the oncoming storm.

Spending 2 AP to Forge a Light/Fire Spear. using Fire [+2] and Metalworking [+4] to craft it so that I will possess a great deal of burning power should I need to use it on, say, the very flammable undead. Using 2 more AP to forge a Armour of the Gods Using Defence +2 and Metalworking [+4]

(Urgh, sorry to take so long to post, but I am just wondering what to do really. I haven't run out of ideas, but about how long will I have to wait before some of the things I sent mortals off to do get back to me? If only because I sem to be spending all of my updates in a forge making things and there is only so many times that can be described without getting dull for everyone. Sorry again about the Delay!)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ascalon - Aesculus

Ascalon almost laughed at the dove. It was such a small thing for a god to send, even one as apparently tiny as this Parelle. He decided that the bird needed to be armed properly if it was to fly back and forth and brought up a small bit of armour for it to wear. He gave it the following message:

I Ascalon, Lord of Aesculus, first lord of flame and forge bid you greetings. I am grateful to you for not attacking my people and allowing more to come to my fortress. We possess a great deal here, but more help is always appreciated. I give you this token and bid you welcome. If anything requires my attention, send it to me via this bird. P.S. Please keep the Bird Armour, I believe it adds to the power of the Bird.

Aesculus also decided to hunt through the sewers, having heard virtually nothing for several weeks. Having given word to the various peoples on the surface he heads back into the darkness, eagerly awaiting a further chat with the rat God.

Using Defender +2 to shore up defences in my workshop and over city before going into the tunnels underneath.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon

When these weird "Scurrying" creatures reared up Aesculus simply smiled and made ready to greet them, whilst making his way out, he did not wish to disturb the sleep of Piper, even if he was in charge of them.

Then the pain came. It was as insistence and a subtle as a blow with a hammer and the great god almost fell to his knees, the pain was intense as the screaming of one of his followers echoed so hard in his head. A second of closing his eyes and focusing and who was it? Oh father above, not him. It could have been any other of his fathers children and he would have been overjoyed. But instead it was the smug lord, the chieftain of futures and seers, the one that Aesculus clashed with as often as any other. And he had his priests!

No, not him something worse. A great and glowing thing of flesh and stone and hunger. Aesculus thought something as hard as he could back to his priest, to work for even a moment through him. I WILL COME. YOU WILL BE FREE..

The creatures in front of him seemed at best bemused by the toppling behemoth, but when he stood back up, his radiance spread from him. "Return to the shadow, I will not harm the creature your lord is becoming. Our treaty stands, and I will feed him scraps, you will not trouble my people and if there is so much as a breath of it then I will give you reason to fear".

Aesculus left the sewers with all speed. Making his way to the tower, he received the messenger pigeon as he walked, its armour clanking as it settled on his shoulder.

Clearly he had something to learn about this new God, but the first matter was first and he gently scribbled as he strode through the streets "I would very much like to greet and speak with you about the possibility for survival against the ice, your tales are known to me but fresh facts have been shown me by one of my trusted priests. I wish to discuss matters further, would a meeting at my tower be amicable or would you prefer a more neutral setting?

He gently carried the bird in his hands, strapped the message to it and let it fly. Aesculus hoped that it would be able to make it to the God in time.

Making his way up the tower he called out to any priest nearby "Summon a conclave, gather all of your fellows and any headsmen of the refugees you can, we have much to discuss".

He strode into his forge then, it would take time for all of them to be gathered and so he got to work on something to keep his mind active. In this case, Aesculus knew that war was coming and he would endeavour to strike harder, with forging fresh items for himself and all who might accompany him to rescue his lost children.

Okay, assuming that my fire spear worked out (just realised the last post I did in this thread was in loving JANUARY!) I am going to get to work on building new sets of "explorer" armour for my companions and myself. We are then going to talk and then decide how we are going to get my priests back.
Using Forge +4 to make sets of good quality armour to reinforce my explorers and to ensure they can survive when I head out to get my priests back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
16/16 AP

Aesculus was hard at work when the owner of the Armoured Bird Carrier arrived, she seemed somewhat distracted, even failing to notice that he was still in the room as she pottered about, apparently recieving messages from her current helpers. "Madam I am over here" he says, waving a gloved hand whilst temporarily getting ready to do the whole "smile and nod" thing he had to do with Gods from other Pantheons at the old parties. "I would like to ask if you or one of your compatriots is any good at transportation, I find myself in need of getting somewhere very far away in a very short span of time".

He called for his priesthood and ordered them to don as much of the armour as they could, impressed by it's lack of weight and ability to bend and twist. He turned to the small conclave of the older priests "Should we not return, you are to lead the people" Aesculus lowered his voice to a true whisper "If they need aid, as the food goddess, she seems to be our best bet for survival".

He got some measure of satisfaction in learning that the pain had stopped for Flamebringer. But the size of the creature that had bound him was a shock. How anything that massive could have survived the Ice this long was a minor Miracle in and of itself. But he had to do something for his people, to prove that they had not been abandoned. So he reached out, his mind temporarily giving way to the feeling of heat and warmth which made the forge work easy and he spoke through the Flamebringer. "We are Freed, we demand freedom for all those you have gathered. We will not destroy you if this is done." he made sure that the message did not hurt the man it traveled through, and that if his brother was there he could hear him fully. He did not like his brother much but kin slaying at a time like this would be an act of Hubris on par with trying to piss out the sea.

Using Flame +2 to light the fire on the helm of my priest and to demand answers. Also using +1 AP on that to take me to 15/16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Thawzone?

15/16

It had been too long since his divinity had been stretched like this. Too long since each bit expanded outward. Aesculus did the best he could to hold in check the anger he felt as he saw through his priests eyes the massive tower, its insult in thinking that it would look less threatening with hands. Disgusting rose like hot bile, but he bit it down.

"You do not understand. All will be released. Not just mine. All." it hurt like hell to keep talking, he was taking on more of the priests pain than anything, being used as a conduit for divinity was never an easy process at the best of times. This was not even in the same Javelin field of easy. Flamerbearer then turned to look at Aesculus' brother "As for you, eyeless one. We may need you, would you return with my followers?" he was in no mood for games, and this was simply another annoyance that was taking things away from the city.

Urgh, so sorry guys, I have been looking for a house and I've just not been writing. Will step the gently caress up over the next week though, I promise.

• Locked thread