Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

All too often independent films are about a person fretting over a relationship they once had or trying to turn the twee button on the camera to the max. Fortunately, that ain’t what we’ve got here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGIif7x2huI

Three teens from South Texas take some money that doesn’t belong to them and party all weekend in… Corpus Christi. When they get back, they found that their sociopath boss, Giff, knows they have taken the money, and vows that they repay their debt by stealing from his boss, a gangster known as Big Red (Played by William Devane!). What ensues is a Southern-fried noir-crime-thriller that’s stylistic, cool, and gripping. And Jim Thompson as balls.

Directed by newcomers the Hawins Brothers, this indie premiered at the Toronto film festival and is tearing up reviews, Grantland compared it to David Gordon Green’s Joe, and the USA Today says that it’s the movie to watch over Mockingjay.

For all the bullshit going on at the top tier of studio filmmaking, it's been a crazy good year for indie thrillers and crime films, particularly ones playing in that sun-baked Breaking Bad arena. This one's up there with Blue Ruin for me.

It’s in a handful of theaters across the US, VOD, and iTunes.

Oh, and you might recognize their old poster…

Anybody else caught this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

penismightier posted:

... Southern-fried noir-crime-thriller ...David Gordon Green’s Joe... Blue Ruin...

God drat, I have to see this movie like yesterday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
William DeVan AND Jon Gries. That's quite a lineup.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

penismightier posted:

or trying to turn the twee button on the camera to the max.

What does this mean?

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Been wanting to see this ever since I fell in love with that poster a year or so ago. Gave me some S.E. Hinton-style chills. Caught wind of the title change and ordered it on PPV the other night. drat fine film. Not without some flaws--the dialogue can get a little too on-the-nose, and the Fallacy of the Talking Villain is in full effect here--but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Whatever emotion that first poster evokes in you, if anything, is pretty much what the movie delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
Sounds good. And I really like the poster.

• Locked thread