Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

A hastily taken photograph of my main contribution to Thanksgiving: Roasted Rack of Lamb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Oh hello new thread. Lots of lovely looking stuff in here already :)

I can help change that...

A few things from the past few days:

Had a crack at the budgetbytes Teriyaki Salmon with Sriracha Mayo as a friend had said it was excellent. I doubt her proportions somewhat as her pictures look more like a dry rub than the mountains of sticky sauce you end up with if you follow it (that is not a bad thing though).

Was really delicious with a bit of mushroomy basmati and salad. Apologies for the mayo looking like melted American cheese; artificial light strikes again!

Had a surfeit of good homegrown leeks so, alongside making a leek and tater soup for the soup thread (and somewhat inspired by whole braised leeks that cropped up recently on here), I did these whole-ish ones wrapped in good ham in a crème fraîche/parmesan sauce and breadcrumbed a little. Not going to win any plating awards but a really good combo and the leeks were tender as hell.

And finally I had a few things to use up so made some three cheese (sharp cheddar, feta, parmesan) and cress muffins with a little English mustard in the mix. They're sort of like the bastard child of a muffin, a cupcake and a cheese scone and are so good warmed with nothing on at all (although they'd probably be great buttered too).

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

franco posted:

[...]
Had a surfeit of good homegrown leeks so, alongside making a leek and tater soup for the soup thread (and somewhat inspired by whole braised leeks that cropped up recently on here), I did these whole-ish ones wrapped in good ham in a crème fraîche/parmesan sauce and breadcrumbed a little. Not going to win any plating awards but a really good combo and the leeks were tender as hell.

And finally I had a few things to use up so made some three cheese (sharp cheddar, feta, parmesan) and cress muffins with a little English mustard in the mix. They're sort of like the bastard child of a muffin, a cupcake and a cheese scone and are so good warmed with nothing on at all (although they'd probably be great buttered too).

Oh man, what great ideas!

Could I get a recipe/how to for the muffins, please?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

franco posted:

I agree with the above, these two are really quite interesting.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Pan seared duck breast with beets two ways (roasted and pickled) on a bed of spinach, topped with dark chocolate. Recipe from chefsteps (not sous vide obviously).

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 4, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Pan seared duck breast with beets two ways (roasted and picked) on a bed of spinach, topped with dark chocolate. Recipe from chefsteps (not sous vide obviously).

Oh, that's gorgeous.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

:vince:

(I'm going to try to steal this)

franco
Jan 3, 2003

cigaw posted:

Could I get a recipe/how to for the muffins, please?

Sure! It's basically this one except theirs uses a mini muffin tin. I went full size and just baked them for a little longer to compensate.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

franco posted:

Sure! It's basically this one except theirs uses a mini muffin tin. I went full size and just baked them for a little longer to compensate.

Thanks! Looks like it doesn't yield much... I'm guessing just the 6 regular-sized muffins in your pics?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

cigaw posted:

Thanks! Looks like it doesn't yield much... I'm guessing just the 6 regular-sized muffins in your pics?

Yeah that's right - definitely doubling up next time I make it.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Really bad picture (taken at 6am this morning, plate on my leg), but I did two things for the first time!

1) Roasted brussel sprouts (taken from sharkattack's blog http://www.spachethespatula.com/simply-roasted-brussels-sprouts/)

2) Poached eggs! I love poached eggs but have never made them.

Was salty and delicious and gooey and warm, I need a better spoon to get the eggs out, but will perfect my eggs soon! Good low carb breakfast since I can't eat toast with my eggs. :)

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Pro-tip for making pretty poached eggs (if you care about that). Put the eggs in a strainer with not too fine a mesh and the outer part of the white, the one that makes all the traily scraggly bits, will fall through but leave the rest and you'll get a perfectly round poached egg.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

franco posted:

Oh hello new thread. Lots of lovely looking stuff in here already :)

I can help change that...
You liar. Your food always looks incredible.

Susical posted:

Really bad picture (taken at 6am this morning, plate on my leg), but I did two things for the first time!

1) Roasted brussel sprouts (taken from sharkattack's blog http://www.spachethespatula.com/simply-roasted-brussels-sprouts/)

2) Poached eggs! I love poached eggs but have never made them.

Was salty and delicious and gooey and warm, I need a better spoon to get the eggs out, but will perfect my eggs soon! Good low carb breakfast since I can't eat toast with my eggs. :)

Oh good golly. I loving love eggs on roasted brussels.
Also, these seem really gimmicky, but I swear they are so awesome and work amazing. I got them as a gift and was very skeptical, but I love them! http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1262385/Tovolo+Perfect+Poach+Pack+of+20

pumpkin sheet cake with lavender sour cream frosting (I have a really serious obsession with both lavender and pumpkin so I decided to combine them for ultimate amazingness)

cheddar straws

brown butter toffee hazelnut blondies

moroccan lamb lasagna with feta béchamel

I also made a bunch of stuff for thanksgiving and took zero pictures because wine. The beginnings of my pinot noir cranberry sauce is the only evidence:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
My two patty smash burger didn't get as smashed as I wanted, but it was still an incredible burger.

I cook a lot of burgers, rarely the smash variety. Main flaw with this run was not greasing up my metal spatula.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Red beans and rice with avocado. My first time making them, came out quite tasty. I used andouille chicken sausage instead of pork.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

sharkattack posted:

brown butter toffee hazelnut blondies

Give me.. the recipe... NOW

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Echeveria posted:

Give me.. the recipe... NOW

Click the picture, nerd.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

beerinator posted:

My two patty smash burger didn't get as smashed as I wanted, but it was still an incredible burger.

I cook a lot of burgers, rarely the smash variety. Main flaw with this run was not greasing up my metal spatula.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Here is a pretty great article for smashed burgers. I love serious eats so much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I actually just made those, last night. Went with a combo of cheddar and american slices with homemade pickles, red onion, sautéed mushrooms, and a smear of sriracha on the bun.

They didn't last long enough to get photos. I still have a way to go because I'm not getting nearly enough crust in the short allocation of time even with a screaming hot stainless pan

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

beerinator posted:

Click the picture, nerd.

Haha! Thanks

edit: I'm gonna have to make dairy free toffee from scratch though.

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 5, 2014

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

goodness posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Here is a pretty great article for smashed burgers. I love serious eats so much.

Yeah, I based some of my inadequate actions on that recipe.

I used twice the meat and twice the manliness. But half of the, "make sure the spatula is greased."

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I made my first from scratch soup ever. Roasted the turkey, made stock from the carcass, and made the soup with everything fresh except for the egg noodles.

Egg noodles are surprisingly little effort. If you still have some stock left you should give it a try.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
This was a good idea at first, but now a big pile of regret. Searzalled this bitch:

sup eat-at-your-computer goons

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I was inspired by the beef cobbler a while back to transform my leftover stew:

Chive drop biscuits on red wine beef stew with brussels sprouts. It was incredible, though my photo is not.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Oxtail helper. Braised some oxtails with very little liquid which was later added to a cheddar mornay sauce with some paprika, chili powder, freshly grated garlic paste, and a little hit of Tabasco. I need to add a sharper cheese next time though, it was not the ultra-cheesy thing I was quite looking for.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sharkattack posted:

this is Extremely My poo poo. i know what i'm making over christmas break.

here's a few thanksgiving photos, not great pics since I was doing 90% of the cooking and the immediate family was all packed into my tiny apartment for the sake of convenience (big football game that saturday)

basic sage + sausage dressing. sausage was a mix of pork along with some moose and caribou my sister shot a couple weeks ago. the game flavors did a really nice job of balancing the "normal" flavor dressing.

hasselback gratin like everyone else this year. in addition to the gruyere i subbed incanestrato for parm regg, it was fantastic. i ran out of russets because I severely underestimated how much I'd need so half of one row was yukon gold. totally different texture but I almost preferred them, they did a lot better job holding onto the sauce when stacking them somehow. next time I should try to really dry the russet slices and see if I can't get them to retain more in each crack.

spatchcocked turkey. turned out perfect and juicy (came from a trusted source so i only cooked it to a breast temp of 140º :ssh: compound butter of garlic, scallions, and thyme under the skin

gravy with the turkey drippings

and here's a pumpkin pie. same one I made for thanksgiving but this was yesterday for a date. final presentation had it topped with whipped cream, a bourbon caramel sauce, and chopped candied pecans. my lighting is poo poo but the crust is browned and not anywhere near as black as it looks on the edges.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

feelz good man posted:

Oxtail helper. Braised some oxtails with very little liquid which was later added to a cheddar mornay sauce with some paprika, chili powder, freshly grated garlic paste, and a little hit of Tabasco. I need to add a sharper cheese next time though, it was not the ultra-cheesy thing I was quite looking for.

This sounds off the hook.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah I agree that sounds awesome. I'm still mad it's such a project to find affordable oxtails here.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Whole wheat bread, Mark I.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
Peacan, Dark Chocolate pie. (home-made crust too!)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chipotle fudge brownies. The spicy actually makes it awesome with some vanilla ice cream.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bosko posted:

Peacan, Dark Chocolate pie. (home-made crust too!)

You post that recepie. You post it right loving now.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

You post that recepie. You post it right loving now.

:3: It's the one here. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chocolate-pecan-pie-with-bourbon

We swapped corn syrup for a mixture of sugar/water (Google gives you a good conversion).

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

wheez the roux posted:

hasselback gratin like everyone else this year. in addition to the gruyere i subbed incanestrato for parm regg, it was fantastic. i ran out of russets because I severely underestimated how much I'd need so half of one row was yukon gold. totally different texture but I almost preferred them, they did a lot better job holding onto the sauce when stacking them somehow. next time I should try to really dry the russet slices and see if I can't get them to retain more in each crack.

I tried doing this last year but the cheese and cream sauce broke and the potatos undercooked and it wasn't great... What did I do wrong?

e: phonepost

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
you wrote your question inside my quote; it took me a minute to figure out you weren't just empty quoting me :v: anyway I'm really not sure since I haven't had that problem. are you sure you followed all the steps correctly, whisked it together extremely thoroughly, had the right measurements, etc? did you try to sub a different kind of cheese? if you don't have a good creamy cheese or if you're using lower fat cream if might not work properly, maybe it cooked too hot or there was something acidic? just for clarification, when you say it broke, do you mean the grease separated and floated on top and it got grainy? it's a cheesy cream sauce, it should be almost infinitely forgiving so i can't really imagine how that would happen. I'm sure someone else here can venture a better guess than me

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This is (supposedly) the Christmas pudding from the Christmas Carol. It's a lot like a fruit cake, with a lot less sugar. But quite tasty.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Thanksgiving

A few days after Thanksgiving

Last night

franco
Jan 3, 2003

sharkattack posted:

You liar. Your food always looks incredible.

Daww thank you - coming from you that's high (unwarranted!) praise :blush:

sharkattack posted:

This is also Extremely My poo poo. Definitely making sometime!

emotive posted:

Red beans and rice with avocado. My first time making them, came out quite tasty. I used andouille chicken sausage instead of pork.

This looks completely fabulous (and pretty!).

psychokitty posted:

I was inspired by the beef cobbler a while back to transform my leftover stew:

Chive drop biscuits on red wine beef stew with brussels sprouts. It was incredible, though my photo is not.

I'm loving all these hearty looking dishes - maybe because it's so drat cold and dark here at the moment. Your cobbled-together cobbler looks and sounds absolutely delicious.

Something trivial for me. A friend was raving about trying some method for making oven fries/chips. I've never owned a deep fat fryer and years of childhood PSAs have made me a total chicken about pan and basket (apparently you so much as look at them and the kitchen burns down).

It is hardly a method at all it's so stupidly simple. Oven to highest, cut spuds (desirée ideally), blanch in boiling water for 3 mins, drain, toss in groundnut oil in a roasting tin until evenly coated, season, bake for 15-20 mins, turning a few times. And they are so drat good - crispy on the outside and fluffy in. Why the gently caress have I been eating lovely frozen oven chips all my life? Why did nobody tell me it was this easy? I feel so foolish...

(please ignore sacrilegious scampi bites in background ;))

Turns out the method was apparently via Gordon Ramsay. So looks like he's perfected the humble chip much like he did with his own superior method for scrambled eggs :can: *bolts*

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leftover sous vide round steak cuts on toast briefly grilled with a bit of munster on top. Also a heavy tomato soup, thickened a bit with a baked yam for sweetness and some heft, wanted something pretty filling with a lot of overpowering flavors on an extremely cold day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Baked some pork loin, cooked some potatoes, added an apple to the apple jus the pork came from and made some red cabbage...from an actual red cabbage, not a jar...I think that's a first! (and it was a lot better than the jar stuff)

• Locked thread