Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pecan wood smoked turkeys just done this morning after ~16h in the smoker.

Got a chicken and a pork shoulder on there now for later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Juice Box Hero posted:

Wow that is pretty amazing looking. does the smoke flavor penetrate the meat even through the skin?

Yeah it does pretty well. You don't get as visible a ring and a real bite from the smoke like you do with a brisket but it gets in nicely. Also the low and slow keeps it really juicy and tender overall.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

franco posted:

Had a surfeit of good homegrown leeks so, alongside making a leek and tater soup for the soup thread (and somewhat inspired by whole braised leeks that cropped up recently on here), I did these whole-ish ones wrapped in good ham in a crème fraîche/parmesan sauce and breadcrumbed a little. Not going to win any plating awards but a really good combo and the leeks were tender as hell.

And finally I had a few things to use up so made some three cheese (sharp cheddar, feta, parmesan) and cress muffins with a little English mustard in the mix. They're sort of like the bastard child of a muffin, a cupcake and a cheese scone and are so good warmed with nothing on at all (although they'd probably be great buttered too).

I agree with the above, these two are really quite interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Leftover sous vide round steak cuts on toast briefly grilled with a bit of munster on top. Also a heavy tomato soup, thickened a bit with a baked yam for sweetness and some heft, wanted something pretty filling with a lot of overpowering flavors on an extremely cold day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Midniter posted:

What about beef on toast with melted muenster screams "overpowering flavors"? I'm certainly not trying to poo poo on your post (since I'd happily eat the hell out of all of that), I'm simply curious.

Ah, more the whole thing, beef and melted cheese was pretty oily and the munster had more sharpness to it than expected for some reason. Also the tomato soup was very very garlic heavy and had a strong tang from the tomatoes as well. It wasn't like a spicy thing but the flavors across the board weren't subtle at all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Timo posted:

What was your experience with smoking a bird? I got mixed reactions a few years back on Thanksgiving. The turkey was super moist, but some people were turned off by seeing the smoke ring (most people don't want to see red meat in poultry), and the skin was leather.

I love it. The tenderness and flavor are top notch and I didn't get any complaints about the smoke rring before.

The skin you just have to accept as a lost cause and remove. We didnt butcher the bird at the table and just brought out a platter of meat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

First time putting chicken in the sous-vide. Boneless skinless, 140F for a couple of hours. Finished off by wrapping with prosciutto and giving it a quick pan-fry. Mushrooms, garlic, white wine, capers. Looks unfortunately like lungs but so tender and good.

How did you like it for chicken? I've had great results for red meat but my two chicken attempts haven't been much different than my regular prep methods.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

This is such a weird comment I've seen for years. Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

I guess I'm the elitist if I don't see the elitism?

There are in other subforums and it's not cool. It happens here sometimes sort of out of nowhere and is surprising because I've seen the same posters bringing the attitude being remarkably chill otherwise. I like this forum overall though a lot but Wheeze ain't totally wrong.

Dude's 'rolling with the punches' replies are dumb as hell though and he/she should :gb2gbs:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sehkmet posted:

Hi thread, long time lurker blah blah blah.

I made jambalaya for the first time tonight, although no shrimp was involved as the husband is a picky fucker and I had to make sure he'd eat it. It's pretty great, even if it's not pretty.

Brown rice, chicken breast, smoked andouille sausage, diced tomatoes, green pepper/onion/celery, chicken stock, a splash of dry white wine, spices. It's got just enough heat to it to make it tasty, and we have leftovers for days.

Nicely done! My favorite dish.

I made some whitebeans and rice recently, just some grilled kielbasa in it since andouille wasn't cheap anywhere nearby.

Smoked a couple of pork shoulders

Top round sousvide along with some homemade arugula pesto on beans and tomatoes from the garden

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Weird how that poo poo differs regionally for no good reason.

Kind of like butter packaging...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Part of my cooking for the week.

A little chicken and sausage jambalaya

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Duck gumbo, used the duck fat in the roux and carcass to make the stock. Came out great as always. Bit more of an effortpost on it in the Cajun & Creole thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=12#post452163419

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

God drat dude

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Finding ways to use dry or otherwise leftover turkey.

Arugula salad with cashews toasted in sesame oil, tossed with the same oil and lime juice, carrot and cucumber slices.

Previously oven roasted turkey breast was sliced and quickly pan fried in butter and sesame oil. A small amount of turkey stock was added and reduced along with oyster sauce and sriracha to make a pan sauce over the turkey slices. Came out really tasty and was a quick preparation. Good way to use some leftover turkey breast that's getting dry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Makin some salted caramel

Cut into strips then into bits and wrapped in wax paper for a work meeting.

They were just a bit too sticky / gummy though, added a bit too much cream I guess? So, I did what any responsible goon would do

and repurposed the remaining caramel into chocolate caramel pecan brownies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smoked turkey and pork shoulder so will have at least one thing to be thankful for tomorrow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Horse always looks really delicious to me, although is it always prepared incredibly rare like that, or can you get it more cooked?

nay

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

drat cuz. Nice work.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

First time trying out doro wat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Doctor posted:

Refried chicken brunch burritos (Louisiana hot sauce not pictured).

there's still so much fried chicken.

e: Also, do we have a Southern food thread? I've made fried chicken a bunch of times now (this was the best) but I'd like to start cooking up big Southern and soul food feasts.

Just the cajun food thread far as I know. You're welcome to post there about it but I imagine a Southern / Soul food thread would be a pretty awesome thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Doctor posted:

Well, based on all of the responses it seems like a Southern cooking thread would go down really well. The only thing is that I'm not really qualified to start a megathread. I'd like to get started cooking stuff like corn bread, collards, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried everything, grits, all that good poo poo, but I mean...I haven't yet. And I feel like an expert is the person to start the thread. Worst case scenario I would do some research and open a thread anyway, but uh...any volunteers?

I'm no expert on cajun food either but just started one since its something I like to cook and we didn't have a central thread on.

You can totally do one, just make sure to leave a lot of space in the OP and make a few reserved posts right after and update them with links to / summaries of other peoples content as good stuff rolls in. Threads that have good OP's and are curated well as good things come in are useful even if the content isn't yours / your specialty.

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Southern Food: Heat Index > Glycemic Index

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's probably not a bad place to start from.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gently caress

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kumbamontu posted:

A friend of a friend recently purchased an enormous smoker in which he smoked roughly 200 lbs of boston butts a few weekends ago and I was lucky enough to snag one. I made some barbecue sauce with the drippings and some pork/bacon/slaw sliders which were awesome, but over the weekend I wanted to try something different with the leftovers since I had 4 pounds of pork hanging out in my freezer. I also had a really strong craving for tacos.

So I roasted a few heads of garlic in the oven, probably 20 cloves worth. Diced up some red onion and threw that in a big pan with some butter/salt/pepper and a ton of the roasted garlic, then threw the pork on top to get nice and browned with chili powder/cumin/oregano, adding a bit of lime juice a few minutes into cooking. Chopped up some tomatoes and cilantro, and when the meat was almost done I poured in maybe half a cup of chicken stock to let the meat absorb some liquid back in.

Took the rest of the roasted garlic and mixed it up with a cup of greek yogurt, more lime juice, cilantro and salt. Finished product on lettuce wraps:

Doesn't look like a whole hell of a lot, but the flavor was exactly how I wanted it and I was really proud of it!

This is really cool. I routinely smoke pork shoulders for bulk meat preps and we have just about all the rest of this hanging out in my garden right now. Gonna try this one soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Those both look really nice to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

First ever attempt at nachos (not american), with pulled pork and homemade pickled chiles

It's not good looking food, but it'll kill your arteries good.

No, no... it looks good. Real good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:jackbud:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

Ahhh I'm so excited I made empanadas for the very first time and they came out PERFECTLY.

I mean they're ugly as sin but they came out perfectly crispy-flaky. :kimchi: I'm finally starting to get the hang of this dough-making business.

This has been on my list of things to learn next for a while. Got a recipe you worked from?

Nice job.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Doctor posted:

I wifed up another victim so I've been cooking again lately. I just don't cook that much when I'm on my own. So much nicer to feed someone else.

Nothing special, just misc. stuff from around the house. Mac with pasta sauce and beef, middle layer is ricotta, cream cheese and broccoli, topped with old Canadian cheddar and panko.

When your plate looks as cool as the food

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

That looks drat good. And don't worry about not having andouille; creole cooking is the bastard child of so many cultures that it doesn't much matter the specifics of what goes into it. I've got a gumbo recipe that my grandmother would give to folks fleeing Vietnam that list over a dozen ingredients to use "based on preference and availability."

Ahaha yeah you definitely understand how it works there.

If you like, it would be cool to share those recipes in the Cajun/Creole thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

Theophany posted:

Followed That Works' advice and did a proper Jambalaya and left that crock pot way out of the equation. Chicken, chorizo (we don't get andouille in the UK) and king prawns. My girlfriend cleaned out the pot she loved it so much.

:unsmith:

That looks great! I've used chorizo a few times in mine as well and it's completely good. The only things I know that don't really work great are sweet / fennel heavy italian sausages. The sweetness just comes out kind of strange. Otherwise I haven't found a sausage that wasn't a good substitute in that dish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

I made lobster rolls :)

:jackbud:

Nice job!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Grilled cheese sandwich with beef brisket

Basically a what I found in the fridge type of food.

Looks tasty as hell. Great photo too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That all looks so freaking cool but I am really thinking that pumpkin pancake / beetroot coconut creme ice cream was probably something special. How did it turn out?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah, that's pretty neat. I have made somewhat similar curry before but never with cabbage. I'd like to try that out. I bet you could adapt the vegetable parts pretty easily to a pressure cooker also to speed things up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Theophany posted:

Dispute the rebuttal or gently caress off. This isn't a community college quad.

It isn't D&D either.

Moundgarden posted:

how does it feel to be triggered by a picture of noodles

:laffo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How will you know if you're eating kosher food without some jewish gold in the photo?

Holy poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

I made stuffed cabbage! This isn't my first time making the dish, but it IS the first time 90% of the leaves didn't get ripped to hell!

I accidentally simmered it on too high a heat so a regrettable amount of the sauce ended up burned on the bottom of the pot. The cabbage rolls themselves escaped unscathed, thank god.

(Sorry about the filthy presentation. They were so delicious I forgot to take a picture until they were almost all eaten)

Nice fork in the shot you racist bastard

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

looks perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Doctor posted:

I just need to express how loving stupid all of your amazingly loving stupid chopsticks posts are.

They're really loving stupid.

Are you thankful for your lack of humor just on thanksgiving day or every day?

• Locked thread