Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

franco posted:

Oh hello new thread. Lots of lovely looking stuff in here already :)

I can help change that...
You liar. Your food always looks incredible.

Susical posted:

Really bad picture (taken at 6am this morning, plate on my leg), but I did two things for the first time!

1) Roasted brussel sprouts (taken from sharkattack's blog http://www.spachethespatula.com/simply-roasted-brussels-sprouts/)

2) Poached eggs! I love poached eggs but have never made them.

Was salty and delicious and gooey and warm, I need a better spoon to get the eggs out, but will perfect my eggs soon! Good low carb breakfast since I can't eat toast with my eggs. :)

Oh good golly. I loving love eggs on roasted brussels.
Also, these seem really gimmicky, but I swear they are so awesome and work amazing. I got them as a gift and was very skeptical, but I love them! http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1262385/Tovolo+Perfect+Poach+Pack+of+20

pumpkin sheet cake with lavender sour cream frosting (I have a really serious obsession with both lavender and pumpkin so I decided to combine them for ultimate amazingness)

cheddar straws

brown butter toffee hazelnut blondies

moroccan lamb lasagna with feta béchamel

I also made a bunch of stuff for thanksgiving and took zero pictures because wine. The beginnings of my pinot noir cranberry sauce is the only evidence:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

sweat poteto posted:

Had a spare potato and half a zucchini so.... latkes

Everything you make always looks so delicious!

roasted parmesan garlic acorn squash

easiest black beans and rice (used canned beans, still awesome)

butterfinger cookie sandwiches

miso kale salad with roasted tofu and walnuts (aka best kale salad ever)

And I made this veggie platter for a party. the dips are romesco, hummus, and then the easiest but best dip ever---a ranch dip packet mixed with sour cream and green onions

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Cavenagh posted:

Calcio e Pepe

Congrats on the new kid :D!
You inspired my dinner last night---only I added roasted sprouts on top because I am obsessed with them.

other stuff:

strawberry preserves that I can't stop putting over molly moon's early grey ice cream (I picked the strawberries myself!):

Also picked some tomatoes so I made salsa:

these ridiculous cookies that are inspired by momofuku milk bar---frosted flake crunch funfetti:

and these bloody marys with basil-serrano ice cubes and cucumber soda:

I also had a recent huge fail while attempting to make yeasted donuts for a donut strawberry shortcake thing. I thought I could make square donuts using the world's worst thermometer, and the insides were raw :cry:

this is a photo before the first rise...also they stuck like poo poo to that drat wax paper, and the tea towel I put over top...never again.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

franco posted:

I hate making lasagne. Hate hate hate it. No sane person can do it and not think "You know what? Next time I think I'll just buy one or go out and order one instead". You may have changed the game with this. Although it did feel like I spent 3 days putting it together it was oh so worth it.

I was worried that, despite my dish being the right dimensions, mine was shallower as it seemed like a lot of ragu/béchamel. Greased up an additional smaller dish for that eventuality, but it fit (just)!

Although the bottom of my oven didn't thank me after cooking - slightly overspilling. Oops.

Mine flumped a bit when plated but that's my fault rather than the recipe's - a combination of too small a dish, clumsiness and apparently buying the world's stringiest mozzarella (trigger warning for lactose intolerant gwspooners - this uses all the cheese).

Absolutely first class though. Great recipe despite mine being not as pretty! :drat:
Ah! I'm so glad you liked it! I think yours looks even more delicious than mine! Pretty food is great for pictures, but messy food is great for eating!
Hooooooly crap you make some amazing-looking food! You're super talented, and I want to eat every single thing you posted!

I baked some stuff.

cherry-nutella banana bread bars (basically a brownie and banana bread's love child)

the best red velvet cupcakes I think I've ever eaten (I attribute some of that to the fact I used duck eggs)

p.s..---I got an Anova, and I don't know what I should sous vide first. I've never ever sous vide-ed (a word?) before, so what should I start out with?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I neeeed to eat everything on this page. Especially this:

Cavenagh posted:

Pork Loin, Butternut Squash Polenta, Marsala Mushrooms, Frizzled Leeks.

and this:

Four Banger posted:

Probably my favourite thing I've ever cooked.
Braised beef, shredded and reduced the braising liquid to a sauce, very sweet/smokey, served on top of some corn bread pancakes.

Now I can't stop thinking about a pumpkin polenta.

Here's some stuff:

green beans + grainy mustard + creme fraiche + almonds

fried duck egg sandwich with prosciutto di san daniele and lemon + oil dressed arugula

red velvet ice cream (it has a cheesecake-y tasting kind of base)

Bacon + white beans + kale + parm and pecorino

a roast chicken

lots of chicken stock

red velvet cake bark (I have a very serious red velvet obsession right now... it's bad)

some flour + water crespelles that I stuffed with a garlicky, lemony kale mixture with parm and pecorino, and then also prosciutto di san daniele and Italian provolone

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

The Midniter posted:

All your poo poo always looks so good, but shame on you for letting the yolk leak onto the (what looks to me like an Ikea) table! ;)
Haha! It's actually a weird, wooden placemat/tray thingy from Crate & Barrel. I assure you it was just for the photo appeal, and I promptly tore off a piece of bread and mopped it up.

Casu Marzu posted:

General Tso congee with do chua, angry lady, scallion

Double smashburg with double fried fries

Sole meunière with braised greens and rice pilaf

Drink and Fight posted:

Pan pizza with leftover beef panang, jack, angry lady, scallion

blixa posted:

It was a pizza kinda night.

All of this. I want it all laid out on a table before me where I can feast.

Axikal posted:

Awwh -pats you on the head- It's adorable you think your way of cooking is the best and only.

So cute!

You also mis-spelled "delicious", but I forgive you.
Wow.

guppy posted:

I went ahead and made the "cheat" pizza with self-rising flour and no rise. Came out pretty well, though I'd like a crispier crust, and it doesn't quite have the full flavor of a traditional yeast-risen dough.

I'll have to play around with the cooking process -- the recipe calls for no cooking except 5 minutes under a broiler on high, which I assume is why the crust is still soft.
That looks yummy!
Actually, if you stretch the dough even thinner, you shouldn't have a problem with crisp crust.
I mean, I've never made a pizza crust with self-rising flour, but when I make a yeast dough, I preheat my oven to 500 with my pizza stone inside for 30min, then switch to broiler on high and only cook for 5 min. It's always super dee duper crisp. (And as I see that yours is on a sheet pan, and assuming you don't own a pizza stone, you could try preheating the sheet pan?)

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
^^YUM
I especially love the fact that you have described your pizza as a parallelogram.

I've only recently gotten over my red velvet obsession (The cupcakes that a couple of you posted looked awesome! In regards to the duck egg thing, it doesn't so much affect the flavor, as much as the texture and mouthfeel---at least in my opinion).
So yes, I made these red velvet things:

red velvet donuts (baked...which is far inferior to a fried donut, but oh well)

red velvet molten cakes

some guac

mushroom risotto with porcini powder and creamed leeks

roasted pork banh mi with pickled carrot and daikon, quick-pickled cucumber, pork pate, roasted pork, kewpie, sriracha, cilantro, and jalapeño

a really good moscow mule:

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Tendales posted:

I was braced for this to be red velvet guacamole

I'm sorry. I've let you down. :ohdear:
I also didn't deliver on a certain request for red velvet shepherd's pie.

Here's some raspberry red velvet smoothies I made to make it slightly better

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Casu Marzu posted:

idk, I just cut some carrots and celery and mushrooms up, tossed everything in a pot, and boiled an egg. Everything else I had in the fridge ready to go. Took like 20 minutes start to finish.
Nah, that's my half-effort kind of meal. Lazy for me would be what I did yesterday for lunch... I spread leftover pizza sauce (as in the sauce I asked the pizza place for on the side when I ordered a pizza) on a toasted everything bagel thin, then sprinkled it with pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, and broiled it. Sometimes I make really embarrassing, trashy, bachelor-y "meals."

Your BELT sandwich looks loving fantastic, by the way---specifically, the toasty crunchiness of that bread.

Rockfish (aka pacific snapper) burritos with homemade guac:

peppadew pepper mac n' cheese

Laminator posted:

Not technically food

better than food
This looks like some sort of coffee laboratory and it's awesome.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah. sharkattack also shot with a 100mm lens which really compresses any objects in the background making em appear a lot closer/bigger than they should.

hey, what kind of a setup are you running anyway, sharkattack? Camera on tripod with a strobe?

My pictures could be so much better and crisper if I would use a tripod, but I really like to be able to move around easily to get different shots, so I just hold the camera. Also, I'm impatient.

I usually just shoot outside on my little balcony, in natural light, even if it's dusk or rainy. This is usually incredibly odd to my neighbors (I live across from a park), and I get asked what the hell I'm doing all the time. It's really awkward to explain you're having a photo shoot with a large piece of raw pork or a dozen cupcakes...

If it's full on nighttime and I absolutely *have* to shoot inside, then I have a basic light kit that I pull out with two big lights. One has a reflector umbrella and the other has a white diffuser umbrella. Orrrrr if I'm too lazy to do that, I'll flip the WB on my camera to tungsten and shoot in the horrible lights in my house, then do a crazy amount of WB in post.

Both of those photos are natural light. The burrito photos were taken on a day where it was pouring rain, so I was right inside my sliding glass door with very little light, hence all the grain in the photos.

And I just realized I took way too long to explain that I shoot outside in natural light :downswords:

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Amergin posted:

I made some things. Mandatory apologies for the photo quality - first time taking pictures of food I've made.

Milk Tea & Honey Pound Cake from Lady and Pups - tasty and GREAT with coffee/tea.
I need to cook with tea more often!

After being devoured by coworkers:

Momofuku Milk Bar Corn Cookies - I bought their cookbook and have been drooling while reading for the past week. Figured I'd start with one of the easier recipes - two dozen of these were gone in an hour at work.

I used some leftover freeze-dried corn (after I pulverized them) for a Thai corn soup that was delicious but unfortunately eaten before I could think to snap a picture. :(
Lady & Pups is one of the best food blogs, ever!
Also, those corn cookies are totally life-changing. Well, for me they were anyway. I also highly recommend them studded with dried (not freeze-dried) blueberries.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Amergin posted:

I had never even considered using freeze-dried anything in food up until I read that. Mind-blowing the flavor that came from it - one of my coworkers described them as "a sugar cookie that tastes like Cap'n Crunch, and doesn't scratch the roof of your mouth!" as he downed like three of them.

I'll definitely try the blueberries idea, thanks!
Yeah, those cookies totally inspired me to make these freeze-dried strawberry cookies:

You can get so much flavor out of freeze-dried stuff, it's awesome! Oh and I've put freeze-dried strawberries in rice krispie treats---really yummy.

I've also made the sweet corn cereal milk ice cream pie from the cookbook that uses those cookies, and while it's delicious, it's hard to beat the cookies just on their own.
Now you've made me want to go bake up a batch, haha

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

paraquat posted:

wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!
They're so perfectly golden brown and crispy :magical:
Quesadillas are in top 5 foods of my dreams.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
coffee-maple poundcake (coffee + maple is the most obvious flavor combo that I only just discovered, and it works SO well)

chocolate guinness sheet cake---there are no words...

beef and guinness hand pies that I wish I didn't already eat all of...

paraquat posted:

the first bite!

I need to be eating this, right now.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Tacier posted:

When I see maple extract in a list of ingredients I typically forget about it and move on to another recipe, but this has finally convinced me to just order some.
I don't use it in a lot of stuff, but it works perfect in stuff like this! It's absolutely crazy how 2 teaspoons of the stuff can make your entire home smell like breakfast for DAYS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Best comment; "I do not trust this maple syrup smell."
This is HILARIOUS!

I made Irish soda bread for St. Paddy's and it was actually delicious---slightly sweet and nutty, and pretty drat fantastic slathered in Irish butter.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Echeveria posted:

What is irish butter?
Just butter from grass-fed cows, basically. That's unfortunately kinda a rare thing in most American supermarkets.
It has a higher butterfat content, and a rich yellow color.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

franco posted:

I can scratch one off my list. I wanted to try them anyway, but since I'm going away on a self-catering weekend with family next week I thought it'd be a nice thing to make and needed a test run. This could probably fit in the Cooking Cockups thread (entirely my own fault).

Batter looking good, although it was bright red before adding the cocoa. Maybe I just have super-intense mutant cocoa?

Baked one and it's perfect apart from being totally brown now. Hmm.

Aaaaand it didn't want to come out of the ramekin. Despite the total collapse, the texture of the outside and inside was perfect and the whole thing was bloody delicious.

Second baking attempt. ALMOST came out clean but lost the top. I guess it being a volcano is apt for the lava? ;)

Third time I gave up and ate it from the ramekin.

You can sort of see my major mistake in that last pic - the recipe calls for non-stick spray to grease the ramekins. I didn't have any and used melted butter, thinking "what difference can it make?". I would have been better off with just a rub of oil - the butter crystallised while baking, bonded with the cake batter and stuck hard.

Am going with spray/oil and pudding basins rather than ramekins (the shape should help) for the real deal. Please cross all digits for me.

Sorry I hosed up your cakes, shark! :ohdear: (they were still delicious)
Someone else told me they had the problem with it not being red either, and really I don't know what to say. It's not my recipe (it's a recipe from a cookbook I was given to review). They were super duper red for me---verging on too red! I truly do not know how yours (and others) have come out anything but bright red :confused:
I even used crappy grocery store liquid food dye for mine.

Plus, If I'm being totally honest, I think they would taste better with dark chocolate in the middle instead of white chocolate, which would make them brown anyway. But, I just am kinda picky about when I do and don't like white chocolate.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

CrazySalamander posted:

I think SharkAttack was using non-dutch processed cocoa, and the rest of you were using dutch processed cocoa. Here's the difference between the two.
That is a good guess! I can't recall if I ended up using Valrhona, Rodelle, or Hershey's in this. I think it's meant to be made with something like Hershey's (based on the recipe), but what I ended up using is a mystery.
It's hard to think that would cause such a stark difference in this particular recipe, though. It'd be darker, but there are only 2 tablespoons in the whole recipe, and mine was like electric red. Black cocoa powder (heavily processed with alkali) could maybe make it that way?
I don't know. It's perplexing. It'd be interesting to test out!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

mich posted:

It's not just that natural cocoa powder is lighter than Dutch processed. The original red for red velvet cakes comes from the reaction of natural cocoa powder to the acidity of the batter (e.g. from buttermilk) which results in a reddish hue. It's the same compound found in red cabbage that makes it red in acidic conditions and blue in basic conditions.
Hm, yes, but this recipe doesn't have baking soda or buttermilk. What else would cause the reaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
almond tangelo upside-down cake

some veggie stock

ricotta gnocchi

I toasted some up with a lemon-herb compound butter (and had to have roasted sprouts because I'm addicted)

and then I made a roasted carrot cream sauce that was outrageously delicious

this insane cheesecake

it has a do-si-do girl scout cookie crust, a banana-peanut butter cheesecake filling, and a bananas foster type thing on the top

• Locked thread