Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I actually just made those, last night. Went with a combo of cheddar and american slices with homemade pickles, red onion, sautéed mushrooms, and a smear of sriracha on the bun.

They didn't last long enough to get photos. I still have a way to go because I'm not getting nearly enough crust in the short allocation of time even with a screaming hot stainless pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Tried my hand at Modernist mac & cheese for the first time last night. It was so loving stupidly dead simple, I wonder why I ever settled for the boxed crap before. Absolutely amazing.

Linku recipe

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

For Christmas I volunteered to do the cooking and humiliate a dead turkey even further

Terrible phone camera really captures red

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas."

The sex must be indescribably good because those carnitas are incredible and I am googling the recipe

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Agreed, that is a ridic cut you got there

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made my own little Redwall Feast two ICSA's ago. It turned out well!

Gonna have to dig that up, friends have been threatening something like that

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Rice paper outsides I assume? Those look delicious and I want to steal this idea

But I'm going to put a few shavings of Carolina Reapers on each piece :getin:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sorry for the incredibly bad picture

We burged tonight because I had some ground beef to take care of and some buns that were due and a bunch of random poo poo to use

I ground some Sichuan peppercorns and incorporated it into my beef with salt. Added a slice of American and a slice of Cheddar. Topped further with some sriracha, chopped pickles, grilled onions, fried scallions, lettuce, tomatoes, turkey bacon. Came out VERY good.

Hers was just regular burger with onions, lettuce, k+m, turkey bacon

Side was dandelion greens sauteed with onion and garlic

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Woof! Woof! posted:

you put pasta, and alfredo, into your wrap?

At least it was a wrap and not in a bowl like one of those abortions from Dominos

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Forgot to post my nonsense

I have a friend who is really, really into spice. Well, all pain really, but I choose to not provide him with the "other" kinds.

So after looking for the hottest peppers I discovered Carolina Reapers. He's a new bachelor and has nothing much to do so I decided I was going to start creating devastatingly spicy dishes that I can't even make in the same room as my girlfriend for him.

The first dish is clearly simple: just some pickles. I made a batch using my recipe with a ton of red pepper flakes a while ago and he really liked them so I decided to experiment a bit

Left: Sichuan peppercorns, Thai bird chilis, ground Carolina Reaper pepper, coriander, sugar

Right: Sichuan peppercorns, Thai bird chilis, Vietnamese chili garlic sauce (Tương Ớt Tỏi), ground Carolina Reaper pepper

I took a quarter teaspoon sample of the brine on the left one and it felt like I was licking a 9v. The numbness from the peppercorns worked so drat well with the spice that had already permeated in 5 minutes of cooldown and it was just a tiny bit sweet and flowery.

(And of course they all have apple cider vinegar, salt, Kirby cucumbers)

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

This is such a weird comment I've seen for years. Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

I guess I'm the elitist if I don't see the elitism?

Every time I post a photo I feel bad because I scroll up and see beautifully shot and arranged photos of highly complex dishes and meanwhile I'm all check out this 3 ingredient stir fry I took with my cell phone camera

And yet nobody calls me out on my dumbassery so ???

IDK GWS in my experience is only anything approaching mean if you do something that starts sailing us back to the days of meatship. Let's never dock in that port again.

But uh can we stop dogpiling the new guy because he made something we consider gross? They're only sassin' back to people who start poo poo and seem actually interested in Learning More.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

goodness posted:

Oh dur, yeah I did! I thought you meant the cut of chicken haha.

The injury was a good lesson to learn. This is the first knife I have ever owned that was actually sharp.

Congrats on your new knife

(Nobody owns a knife until it draws blood)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

My mandoline has a special weird grippy thing because the manufacturers correctly guessed that otherwise I'd bleed to death on the kitchen floor.

Is it the spiky clamp you use on the vegetable because that thing has never worked well for me

Only managed to ding myself once but my old roommate did lose a good bit of thumb. They never found the piece.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Le0 posted:

Hey, looks nice, what is it you guys call Swiss cheese? Because I'm Swiss and I don't know what Swiss cheese is. Gruyere is obviously the best cheese in the world tho :eng101:
Also I like to add a little Kirsch in the fondue as well (it's a cherry based alcohol which gives it a nice kick).

It's an American variety of Emmental

Also I always was taught to use Kirshwasser in with the fondu, but hell the last time I made it, it came out super watery, so what do I know

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Lazy ramen
Packet of Nong Shim Black, can of tuna, celery and carrot matchsticks, softboiled egg, radish kimchi, enoki and oyster mushrooms, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, scallion, roasted nori sheets

You and I have very different definitions of lazy

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Nong shim black is so loving good for an instant pack

It is, but I have some Korean stuff that is in 0% English so damned if I could ever give any info about it that's a bit better.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sex Hobbit posted:

Pictures! I live right by an H-Mart, I'm sure I could find it in their massive ramen aisle.

It was in fact from H-Mart

I have no idea what the hell is going on, Google Translate helped me at least figure out how to cook it properly, and it's a nice spice level.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Rad, I still have a few left but good to know I can get more~

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

I had no idea there were ovens with so many buttons and options.

That's...a fairly standard oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Every oven in a home I've lived in has had nothing more than a dial you turn to the temperature you want and then you hope it actually gets somewhat close to that temp.

IDK what to tell you :shrug:

Mine has even more buttons because it has ~convection modes~

• Locked thread